Is it possible to have a rational discussion about Bible versions...

caspianrex

Bible collector
Sep 3, 2010
Nashville,TN
Visit site
✟9,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
...without KJV-Only people trying to hijack the discussion?

As someone who is enthusiastic about many different English Bible versions, I have participated in discussions online about the topic for many years now. It never fails (and this forum is no exception) that eventually a KJVO person comes along, and begins posting about "corrupt Alexandrian manuscripts," and "missing verses."

Just over a decade ago, I created a group on Facebook that discusses Bible versions, and we've had to be quite strict in our policy about KJVO posts. We try to screen applicants to the group, to reject anyone who holds to a KJVO position. But occasionally people get in, and the posts begin: "Is your Bible MISSING VERSES?" That type of thing.

Sometimes I think that online forums are actually a fertile breeding ground for these kinds of conspiracy theories. People will type things on a computer that they would not say in public. Well, most people, maybe...

Anyway, if you have any rational thoughts to share about favorite Bible versions, feel free to comment, or join us at the Facebook group linked above. Peace be with you.

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, Sir.

I like the Douay-Rheims (sort of like a Catholic KJV-equivalent), and whatever translation EWTN's daily Mass readings use.

For 66 book Bibles, I always liked the KJV. New King James was good, too. And I found a neat version called the "Berkeley Version" which seemed pretty good. But it's rarer. I think.

Reactions: caspianrex
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
...without KJV-Only people trying to hijack the discussion?

As someone who is enthusiastic about many different English Bible versions, I have participated in discussions online about the topic for many years now. It never fails (and this forum is no exception) that eventually a KJVO person comes along, and begins posting about "corrupt Alexandrian manuscripts," and "missing verses."

Just over a decade ago, I created a group on Facebook that discusses Bible versions, and we've had to be quite strict in our policy about KJVO posts. We try to screen applicants to the group, to reject anyone who holds to a KJVO position. But occasionally people get in, and the posts begin: "Is your Bible MISSING VERSES?" That type of thing.

Sometimes I think that online forums are actually a fertile breeding ground for these kinds of conspiracy theories. People will type things on a computer that they would not say in public. Well, most people, maybe...

Anyway, if you have any rational thoughts to share about favorite Bible versions, feel free to comment, or join us at the Facebook group linked above. Peace be with you.

I think I can have a rational discussion about English bible versions because with the exception of the JWS bible they all say the same thing. But the discussion will most likely turn to the Greek Church and how they don't use an English translation at all.

That and the fact that modern English versions don't have all the books in them.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, I've applied to join the group.

I find it crucial to use many different translations as well as the original manuscripts, due to levels of translation error and bias. Even word for word may have bias because there is a choice of English words that could be used and one choice could lean a meaning in a different direction than another choice of word.

Upvote 0

caspianrex

Bible collector
Sep 3, 2010
Nashville,TN
Visit site
✟9,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks, Sir.

I like the Douay-Rheims (sort of like a Catholic KJV-equivalent), and whatever translation EWTN's daily Mass readings use.

For 66 book Bibles, I always liked the KJV. New King James was good, too. And I found a neat version called the "Berkeley Version" which seemed pretty good. But it's rarer. I think.

My grandmother's old Bible is a Douay-Rheims from about 1911 (there's no publication date in it, but the Imprimatur is from 1911, I think). It's really interesting reading the old footnotes, with their pretty heavy counter-Reformation stance. I had it rebound several years ago, so it's a treasured part of my collection.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

caspianrex

Bible collector
Sep 3, 2010
Nashville,TN
Visit site
✟9,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks, I've applied to join the group.

I find it crucial to use many different translations as well as the original manuscripts, due to levels of translation error and bias. Even word for word may have bias because there is a choice of English words that could be used and one choice could lean a meaning in a different direction than another choice of word.

Welcome to the group!

I agree, it's always useful to compare different translations.

And your point about original languages is pertinent, even though that's one area where KJVOs often attack anyone who favors any modern version: they claim that there's no such thing as "original manuscripts," and that the Textus Receptus upon which the KJV is based is the only valid Greek text. Some go so far as to claim that the KJV itself is divinely re-inspired, so that wherever it may disagree with the TR, the KJV is always correct!

I'll step down from my soapbox about KJVOs, though. Hope you enjoy the discussion on the Facebook Bible Versions Group...

• Friendly
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

caspianrex

Bible collector
Sep 3, 2010
Nashville,TN
Visit site
✟9,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A couple of years ago I registered on a KJVO web forum, having a few questions needing answers. I was quickly not welcome.

Yeah, things can get a little ugly on those forums. If you disagree with anything they claim, you'll usually be bombarded by memes, and often ridiculed. Seriously, I once took issue with something a KJVO guy said on YouTube, and he immediately responded by calling me an idiot, and informing me that I was not worthy to read the Bible, let alone teach from it.

• Haha
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My grandmother's old Bible is a Douay-Rheims from about 1911 (there's no publication date in it, but the Imprimatur is from 1911, I think). It's really interesting reading the old footnotes, with their pretty heavy counter-Reformation stance. I had it rebound several years ago, so it's a treasured part of my collection.
That's awesome! What a treasure! So glad you kept it!

Upvote 0

caspianrex

Bible collector
Sep 3, 2010
Nashville,TN
Visit site
✟9,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll go ahead and share what I would consider my Top 5 Translations that I'm currently most interested in (in no particular order of importance)…
  • Holman Christian Standard Bible
  • English Standard Version
  • New Revised Standard Version
  • King James Version
  • New International Version

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anto9us

Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But the discussion will most likely turn to the Greek Church and how they don't use an English translation at all.

Hmmm...

I have ORTHODOX STUDY BIBLE - an English version with Old Testament based on Septuagint rather than Hebrew Masoretic. It's New Testament is New King James. My son is Greek Orthodox.

Upvote 0

caspianrex

Bible collector
Sep 3, 2010
Nashville,TN
Visit site
✟9,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmmm...

I have ORTHODOX STUDY BIBLE - an English version with Old Testament based on Septuagint rather than Hebrew Masoretic. It's New Testament is New King James. My son is Greek Orthodox.

I like the OSB a lot. The study notes in that version give a lot of great perspective on Eastern Orthodox theology and interpretation of Scripture. And it's beautifully illustrated!

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm...

Nice - I've been wanting to buy such a Bible for the Septuagint-based Old Testament.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Anto9us

Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Of course you realize -- if that King James Version was good enough for Paul and Silas -- it's good enough for me!

Just kidding.

I don't do Facebook, so I hope this thread is successful here.

I have the Lamsa Bible - based on Syriac Peshitta.

I do get weary of posters demonizing Westcort and Hort

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks, Sir.

King James is actually a good translation, even though the language has become somewhat archaic. Alot of modern translations are actually not so great, but not for the reason KJV-onliers actually give: they reflect a narrow theological agenda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
King James is actually a good translation, even though the language has become somewhat archaic. Alot of modern translations are actually not so great, but not for the reason KJV-onliers actually give: they reflect a narrow theological agenda.

Sometimes, it's a "theo-illogical" agenda.

• Haha
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I like the OSB a lot. The study notes in that version give a lot of great perspective on Eastern Orthodox theology and interpretation of Scripture. And it's beautifully illustrated!

I've never used that, even when I attended an Orthodox church, but I think different perspectives can be good to study.

I actually am partial to the Common English Bible for casual reading.

The Revised Standard Version is probably the best for serious study and readability.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I bet you would love OSB, Lazarus.
Lot of commentary notes from early church fathers; and as caspianrex said -- the illustrations are awesome.

Well, for me the illustrations would NOT be a plus, as I'm a bit of an iconoclast.

Upvote 0