Is it possible to fall out of God the Father's love? What do you think?

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to be God. Don't make me equal with him. It is not possible someone who sin to remain saved.
Are you saying that you aren’t saved?

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't want to be God. Don't make me equal with him. It is not possible someone who sin to remain saved.
I am obviously not doing that. You pronounce Doctrinal matters of God yet even when challenged will not/CANNOT provide God telling us this, and yet continue to pronounce matters as if they come from God. It is only a logical conclusion that you think you are God or a god. Otherwise show us where God says what you claim He does.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,049,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay so my wife and I were watching a sermon from a well respected Doctor and Protestant Pastor. I won't name him in case people call him a false teacher (I honestly don't think he's a false teacher, because he's well known in the Protestant community as being a well educated and proper teaching preacher, a majority of his preaching is rock solid. I just think he's wrong about this one particular interpretation of scripture.)

Anyway, during the sermon in question he talks about it being possible as a Christian to "love the wrong world" and to lose God the Father's love. He used 1 John 2:15 as "proof" of his interpretation of what John was saying here.

1 John 2:15 says that if someone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in them.
The Father's love is Agape love - divine, perfect. If someone is loving the world they may be doing so with, or showing, Philia; brotherly love. Their heart may be filled with this kind of love, instead of the Agape love of God - how Jesus loves us and told us to love him.

It does not say that if a Christian loves the world, the Father will stop loving them.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Okay so my wife and I were watching a sermon from a well respected Doctor and Protestant Pastor. I won't name him in case people call him a false teacher (I honestly don't think he's a false teacher, because he's well known in the Protestant community as being a well educated and proper teaching preacher, a majority of his preaching is rock solid. I just think he's wrong about this one particular interpretation of scripture.)

Anyway, during the sermon in question he talks about it being possible as a Christian to "love the wrong world" and to lose God the Father's love. He used 1 John 2:15 as "proof" of his interpretation of what John was saying here.

I have to say, I disagree with a majority of what he said in said sermon. He not only said that it was possible to fall out of God the Father's love by living in the World but it was also as if he was trying to claim that said person would lose their salvation if they did so. But, that can't have been what the Doctor meant because he's a well respected Doctor in the Protestant community and he preaches on Eternal Security and what I consider to be the basic tenants to the Protestant faith all the time.

I was actually kind of puzzled how he could have come to this conclusion especially when the entire rest of the Bible says that it's impossible to fall out of God's love no matter what we do or say because God IS love.

Don't forget there are MANY passages of scripture that show that God will never abandon his Children and those who seek him. God continues to work on us, sanctify us, and deliver us from sin each and every passing millisecond of our lives. Just because a Christian may love the world "today" doesn't mean that we won't love the world "tomorrow." because God continues to work on each and every one of us every single day. To claim that we lose God's love for living in the world and that he abandons us is like to claim that God abandons one of his children is IMO... unscirptural.

Nowhere in scripture does it say that God will abandon his children (Or those who aren't for that matter) for ANY reason. It is impossible to fall out of God's love (IMO) because God IS love. God loves all of humanity and John 3:16 is an example that proves it. It says "For God so loved the world" this includes the billions of people that live IN the world. He loves them just as equally as he loves his own children and he desires them to come to the truth so that he can be with them forever. I mean, Romans 8:31-39 is a statement by Paul that NOTHING can separate us from the love of God. NOTHING!

So IMO this interpretation of John's words cannot be what the Apostle had meant when he wrote 1 John 2:15-17. Same as John's apparently contradictory statement of "Nobody that is born of God sins." and then a few verses later he says "If you claim to have no sin the truth is not in you." that, cannot be what the apostle meant then either.

I asked a few of my friends what they thought and some of them brought up a good point. That the pastor in question was wrong with his interpretation of 1 John 2:15. They offered another interpretation from the well respected doctor that, I kind of agree with. They said that what John meant was that when we love the world WE don't love or show love towards God the Father. Not that he abandons us and no longer loves us.

What's your interpretation of what John meant? Did he mean we can fall out of God's love if we live in the world or did he mean something else? I'm curious on your thoughts.

To me ... the eye that is single is this same truth, one that teaches us how to walk with God.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I have to say, I disagree with a majority of what he said in said sermon. He not only said that it was possible to fall out of God the Father's love by living in the World but it was also as if he was trying to claim that said person would lose their salvation if they did so. But, that can't have been what the Doctor meant because he's a well respected Doctor in the Protestant community and he preaches on Eternal Security and what I consider to be the basic tenants to the Protestant faith all the time.

I was actually kind of puzzled how he could have come to this conclusion especially when the entire rest of the Bible says that it's impossible to fall out of God's love no matter what we do or say because God IS love.

Don't forget there are MANY passages of scripture that show that God will never abandon his Children and those who seek him. God continues to work on us, sanctify us, and deliver us from sin each and every passing millisecond of our lives. Just because a Christian may love the world "today" doesn't mean that we won't love the world "tomorrow." because God continues to work on each and every one of us every single day. To claim that we lose God's love for living in the world and that he abandons us is like to claim that God abandons one of his children is IMO... unscirptural.

Nowhere in scripture does it say that God will abandon his children (Or those who aren't for that matter) for ANY reason. It is impossible to fall out of God's love (IMO) because God IS love. God loves all of humanity and John 3:16 is an example that proves it. It says "For God so loved the world" this includes the billions of people that live IN the world. He loves them just as equally as he loves his own children and he desires them to come to the truth so that he can be with them forever. I mean, Romans 8:31-39 is a statement by Paul that NOTHING can separate us from the love of God. NOTHING!

So IMO this interpretation of John's words cannot be what the Apostle had meant when he wrote 1 John 2:15-17. Same as John's apparently contradictory statement of "Nobody that is born of God sins." and then a few verses later he says "If you claim to have no sin the truth is not in you." that, cannot be what the apostle meant then either.

I asked a few of my friends what they thought and some of them brought up a good point. That the pastor in question was wrong with his interpretation of 1 John 2:15. They offered another interpretation from the well respected doctor that, I kind of agree with. They said that what John meant was that when we love the world WE don't love or show love towards God the Father. Not that he abandons us and no longer loves us.

What's your interpretation of what John meant? Did he mean we can fall out of God's love if we live in the world or did he mean something else? I'm curious on your thoughts.
Many in the church have been taught from the pulpits that God loves us unconditionally. However that is false as many scriptures are conditional in nature. Scripture is replete with "if" we do this, then this occurs - with positive or negative consequences. God's love is also conditional. Your citation of Rom 8:31-39 falls short of your claim as SIN does separate us from the love of God and that is precisely why sin is not listed in those verses is it?
Furthermore, God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son so that we would become saved and love God by OBEYING Him and not continue is our sinful ways. Read Jn 14:21. Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them."
This verse is a conditional statement upon which the love of the Father is predicated upon us having His commands and keeping them. No obedience; no love.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You may want to read Rom 8:13.

read this first, though.

However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
— Romans 8:9

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
read this first, though.

However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
— Romans 8:9
Paul is speaking to Christians in Rome - "you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit...." Furthermore, in v.12 he makes it abundantly clear that he is addressing the brethren telling them that we are not debtors to the flesh; to live according to the flesh. Thus accordingly, in v.12 he warns the brethren in Rome - IF you live according to the flesh, YOU WILL DIE. Paul can only be referring to spiritual death here because every single person dies physically irrespective of what manner of life they lived. Christians enabled by God's grace have the ability to choose to live IF they live according to the flesh OR IF they live according to the Spirit. Unbelievers have no such choice as they are unregenerated by the Spirit and thus can only live according to the flesh.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Short answer? Never never never!!!!!

Few verses to consider and ponder:
Romans 5:
8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Romans 8:
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Hebrews 13:5 King James Version (KJV)
5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Jesus died as all your sins, including the ones you have yet to commit! So relax and allow His love to transform into the being God created you to be!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We always have free choice ... to love God or not. It is a spiritual and personal relationship.

We are not to love or desire material things.

Matthew 16:26
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

What does Jesus (who is God) say about it?

John 14:15
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

John 14:21
Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

1 John 2:4
Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,

Revelation
Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea.

Revelation
Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

John 15:14
You are my friends if you do what I command you.

John 13:34 l
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

1 John 2:3
And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.

When one receives Jesus as their Lord and Savior, He begins His work in the believer and helps us overcome our sin (transgression of the Law) ... He changes our thinking and helps us to keep His commandments. It's not of OUR doing .... it His work in the believer ... and this is a life-long process. We will ... and do ... stumble ... but if we remain humble and confess and repent when we sin He is quick to forgive and continues to work in the believer ... conforming us into His sinless image.

We have freewill and God never violates our freewill.

Revelation 3:19

Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.

2 Corinthians 3:18

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

Will we ever be perfect? No (not while living here on sinful earth) and Yes ... because of His sacrifice we will be seen AS perfect when we are judged.

So ... we need to do a "self examination" ... are we bending more (more willing) towards keeping His commandments or not? Are we being transformed? If change isn't happening then we are deceiving ourselves.

James 1:22
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

He said He would save us FROM our sin .... not IN our sin.

May we abide in Him. Amen

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Paul is speaking to Christians in Rome - "you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit...." Furthermore, in v.12 he makes it abundantly clear that he is addressing the brethren telling them that we are not debtors to the flesh; to live according to the flesh. Thus accordingly, in v.12 he warns the brethren in Rome - IF you live according to the flesh, YOU WILL DIE. Paul can only be referring to spiritual death here because every single person dies physically irrespective of what manner of life they lived. Christians enabled by God's grace have the ability to choose to live IF they live according to the flesh OR IF they live according to the Spirit. Unbelievers have no such choice as they are unregenerated by the Spirit and thus can only live according to the flesh.
You forget that we are in Christ and have died to sin. New nature. No longer slaves of unrighteousness. See chapter 6.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Turn that person off and never look back.
God says He loves you with an "eternal-everlasting love". So, does that sound like its decided by your behavior?
So, that verse is talking about backsliding.
To become occupied with things of this world to the point that you become cold hearted toward God and the things of God.
James describes this a "dead faith". Jesus describes this as "Lukewarm".

God does not get rid of anyone that Jesus has shed His blood to redeem.
That would be ALL the born again.

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is possible to reject His love, or to ignore His love, but it is not possible to stop or even lessen His love for every human being. His love is perfect, and if it became any less it would thereby become imperfect.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Srry guys I cant possibly reply to all these posts (I'm watching a movie with my wife atm I'm just taking a break. But some of you had made fantastic posts so I feel complied to respond.

The only way we can lose the Father's love by something we do would be if we gained His love by something we did.

That is a FANTASTIC way of putting it. All of us fall massively short of the perfection that God demands. We didnt gain his love based on our merits but based on what Christ did and by the plan he and Christ made. Without that plan or promise we would be without hope.

One interesting thing is though would God still have loved us without this plan? He wiped out humanity with a flood but did God love that fallen world? I think that even if we had no hope that God would still love us. After all he still loves lucifer after all he did.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0