Is it possible to develop discernment?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are different kinds of discernment:

1 Cor 12. 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

Heb 5. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.​

The Corinthians type of discernment is used in the deliverance ministry to determine whether or not demons are in action, and if so, what they are and how they operate. That is entirely a supernatural gift.

The kind of discernment in Hebrews 5 is one that comes from experience.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I feel like I really need it. Ive lead a somewhat sheltered life and I feel I could use some guidance.

I too have had a sheltered life relative to my peers, so I understand the concerned.

Yes you can develop discernment. Discernment just mean to rightfully judge , and that only requires knowledge of the Truth, which is the Word, and guidance of the Holy Spirit. I don't see requirement to experience everything in life to know when to approach or not approach things, although it does bring understanding to the weight of decisions.

How to develop it is to ask question or bring scenarios to mind, and ask God in His Word how best to approach it. Ask other people as well, like what you're doing now, especially older people or elderly ,to understand the weight of the decisions, without needing to experience it for yourself. The goal though is not to be perfect, but in all things approach them with patience and love.

Be encouraged.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I feel like I really need it. Ive lead a somewhat sheltered life and I feel I could use some guidance.

Everyone would benefit from having discernment,
if they are following Jesus the Shepherd.

If they're not, then it would be perniciously harmful to everyone around them as well as themselves. (because if not following Jesus, they'd be under the control of the prince of the power of the air, opposed to Jesus, and death dealing instead of life-giving).

The beginning of discernment is seeking God. He grants discernment perfectly and pure in His Wisdom, His Plan, and His Purpose in Christ Jesus' Salvation.

As His Word Says: the spiritual (alive in Jesus) discern all things, and are discerned by no one.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reading Proverbs helps. And Ecclesiastes. And the Bible, generally.

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26

"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways." James 1:5-8

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I too have had a sheltered life relative to my peers, so I understand the concerned.

Yes you can develop discernment. Discernment just mean to rightfully judge , and that only requires knowledge of the Truth, which is the Word, and guidance of the Holy Spirit. I don't see requirement to experience everything in life to know when to approach or not approach things, although it does bring understanding to the weight of decisions.

How to develop it is to ask question or bring scenarios to mind, and ask God in His Word how best to approach it. Ask other people as well, like what you're doing now, especially older people or elderly ,to understand the weight of the decisions, without needing to experience it for yourself. The goal though is not to be perfect, but in all things approach them with patience and love.

Be encouraged.
Thays interesting I'm also 26 as well.

I just feel since I sort of lack discernment...God has differently been helping me out and protecting me....

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have the gift of discernment. I believe you can ask God for the gift. At the same time, as I advise a lot of people, sometimes the best way to grow is to get out there and scrape your knee a few times. You're going to fall down, make mistakes, get hurt, and even hurt others. That's life. We can't dig in the trenches and overly shelter ourselves. The way most people learn is by not being afraid of mistakes, because they will happen. And when they do, you will learn a better way of doing something and grow as a person.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You can, Romans 12 talks about being transformed by the renewing of our minds, it's a continual process.

• Agree
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,150.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Discernment is a sense that is developed in time...

But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. - Hebrews 5:14

If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

There are some instances in life where....

1. A person may look like a Christian
2. A person may display an understanding of scripture

But... There is none of the spiritual stuff wrapped up in the character. A person who has his, "senses exercised to discern both good and evil" will spot the need of the Holy Spirit in such an individual.

Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

From your wording, it appears you are talking about "discernment" of other's motives when dealing with them.

I may be off in my discernment of that.

But if I am not, one principle I have found highly useful is the following:

You can often discern another's true heart by how they treat those they have concluded they stand to gain nothing from.

I came up with that myself one day, while out on a date with someone who was just fine towards me but rather lousy toward our server.

You see, what you do is just take things in and as you go along.

At the same time, try to turn moments and their events into a principle or a guideline you can go by in your life as you go about attempting to properly discern, gage, or weigh out, the what's what behind one behavior or another.

That is all discernment is, in all areas of life.

Rom. 5: 6-8.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums