• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is it possible to be saved and not know it?

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi.

I just wanted to know if it is possible to be saved and not know it. My reason is that I constantly feel like I'm going to hell. I was born and raised as Christian. I read the Bible, go to church, pray to God, and believe Jesus is the savior. I've personally thought and said that Jesus is my savior with other people present and in my head. I was baptized this year in church. I'm supposed to be saved, right? I have even tried to eliminate all sin from my life. I haven't succeeded, but I have tried.

However, I still feel in my heart that I am going to hell. I feel like no one believes me and no one cares. I hear voices all day long and I constantly argue with them. The bad voice is constantly making bets and deals and I have to fight with him about these bets and deals constantly. The good voice keeps saying things like "What if Jesus still loves you?" I argue with him constantly too. I worry that the good voice is lying to me. The good voice has laughed at me too, so I worry that he is a liar.

If I'm saved, shouldn't I know it in my heart? Once I was saved, shouldn't I have stopped believing I'm going to hell? I really feel like there is no hope for me. Everyone says there is still hope, but I really feel hopeless inside. I really feel like my sin is too great to forgive. I really feel very guilty. I know Jesus is the only way to be forgiven, but I don't feel forgiven at all in my heart.

Is there anyone else out there that feels this way? Has anyone else tried everything in their power to be saved but still feels doomed? How can I start feeling like God loves me? I hear a voice all day long that laughs at me and condemns me, so how can I feel that God loves me in my heart? I guess I just need to read the Bible more or something. I've been reading through the whole New Testament lately, so I've been trying that. Maybe I need to reject the voice more than I have been doing. I usually just try to ignore things. I don't actively reject the voices. Nothing seems to help with the guilt. I listen to Christian music a lot too and that helps with the voices, but not with the guilt.

Anyway, thank you for reading this rant. I just want to find hope somehow.

Thanks,

SnowTiger

Reactions: Inagony

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think everybody who is saved knows it.

The best advice I can give you is to ask God for the Holy Spirit.

Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Romans 8:9)

So without it you are not his.

Once you receive it you will have the spirit of adoption, not to fear again (Romans 8:15).

Hope that helps. :)

Reactions: valleygirl
Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just wanted to know if it is possible to be saved and not know it.

Being saved is one thing; having assurance of salvation is something else. The Bible is clear that a believer can and should have assurance of salvation. Why a believer might fail to have assurance is not so clear (in my opinion), but it seems plausible that being distracted from Christian principles might be one reason assurance does not develop or is later doubted.

I am of the opinion that believers should be taught to expect to have assurance, and actively seek the Holy Spirit's confirmation of their salvation. On the other hand, I am more concerned about someone with a *false* assurance than I am with failure to have a proper assurance.

If you have the slightest doubt, I recommend your first step should be earnest prayer. Ask the Holy Spirit to make you aware that you have sinned and that your only hope of overcoming sin is Jesus' sacrifice. Ask to know and understand more about Jesus and the gospel, then finally to know that Jesus' promise to "never leave nor forsake" those who have put their full trust in Him is certain to be fulfilled, and that the best evidence of this will be the life changes that occur because of God's action.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi.

I just wanted to know if it is possible to be saved and not know it. My reason is that I constantly feel like I'm going to hell. I was born and raised as Christian. I read the Bible, go to church, pray to God, and believe Jesus is the savior. I've personally thought and said that Jesus is my savior with other people present and in my head. I was baptized this year in church. I'm supposed to be saved, right? I have even tried to eliminate all sin from my life. I haven't succeeded, but I have tried.

However, I still feel in my heart that I am going to hell. I feel like no one believes me and no one cares. I hear voices all day long and I constantly argue with them. The bad voice is constantly making bets and deals and I have to fight with him about these bets and deals constantly. The good voice keeps saying things like "What if Jesus still loves you?" I argue with him constantly too. I worry that the good voice is lying to me. The good voice has laughed at me too, so I worry that he is a liar.

If I'm saved, shouldn't I know it in my heart? Once I was saved, shouldn't I have stopped believing I'm going to hell? I really feel like there is no hope for me. Everyone says there is still hope, but I really feel hopeless inside. I really feel like my sin is too great to forgive. I really feel very guilty. I know Jesus is the only way to be forgiven, but I don't feel forgiven at all in my heart.

Is there anyone else out there that feels this way? Has anyone else tried everything in their power to be saved but still feels doomed? How can I start feeling like God loves me? I hear a voice all day long that laughs at me and condemns me, so how can I feel that God loves me in my heart? I guess I just need to read the Bible more or something. I've been reading through the whole New Testament lately, so I've been trying that. Maybe I need to reject the voice more than I have been doing. I usually just try to ignore things. I don't actively reject the voices. Nothing seems to help with the guilt. I listen to Christian music a lot too and that helps with the voices, but not with the guilt.

Thanks,

SnowTiger

You should not listen to your heart on this topic, believe what God day's in his word.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi.

SnowTiger

One can't be saved without knowing it. We're called to believe and it requires knowledge and information to believe.

John said this about how it is you know God and are in fellowship in him:

My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

The Test of Knowing Him
3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God [a]is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked. (1 John 2:1-6)

John tells us that this same knowledge that you are having trouble with, the assurance that you're really in a right relationship with God, can be known with certainty.

Paul tells us that those of us who were baptized, were baptized into Christ. He spends two chapters of Romans telling us about the cleansing of our past sins and the killing of the law of ordinances and then he concludes with something pretty comforting.

"There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. " Romans 8:1,2)

Your post is really relevant because it is easy to fall prey to our own thoughts and personal shame. But we can have assurance if we continue to walk in Christ by being obedient to the faith. Clearly, assurance, knowledge that we are saved, is important which is why the New Testament authors wrote about it.

But...it starts by believing that our baptism (made effective through Christ's sacrifice) truly washed our sins and gave us "a good conscience toward God."

"There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him."

What you believe is important. Jesus washed away your past sins and John says he is your advocate in heaven so that if you sin again, you can know that he will forgive you. Paul says that you have assurance that the slate was wiped clean when you were baptized and you became free from the law of sin and death. You died and were born again. You were made a new creature in Christ.

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection,

Put your mind at ease. God wiped the slate clean and you were born again, not by accident, but by your obedience of faith.

• Agree
Reactions: Tra Phull
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just wanted to know if it is possible to be saved and not know it
I would say so.

Disclosure: I am Catholic and that shapes my understanding of this question.

But the Catholic Church teaches that people who attempt to follow God even though they don't have any knowledge of His Son may be welcomed into Heaven after death.

The same can be said for others with severe mental/cognitive disabilities, who may not even possess the ability to hear and then believe.

In all cases, Christ is still the Savior. It isn't possible to go to Heaven without Him. However, some who go to Heaven may have lived their lives without knowing He was their Savior. But they will recognize Him as Lord in eternity, you can be sure of that.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
SnowTiger,

Yes, you are saved even when you don't know it or feel it, even when you can't get rid of all the sin in your life, even when your voices are lying to you and making you feel like you're going to hell. You are saved by the incarnation, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Even if you don't feel it today, Christ died for you. Even when you can't silence the voices, Christ died for you. Trust that Christ died for you. Trust that Christ loves you beyond all measure. And even on the days when you're not able to trust, God still knows you, exactly as you are, illness and all, and God loves you.

Upvote 0

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think everybody who is saved knows it.

The best advice I can give you is to ask God for the Holy Spirit.

Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Romans 8:9)

So without it you are not his.

Once you receive it you will have the spirit of adoption, not to fear again (Romans 8:15).

Hope that helps. :)

This is what I am afraid of. I have very little confidence in my salvation. I hear a voice in my head that laughs at me all day long and I worry he is right about things. Thank you for the response.

Upvote 0

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
SnowTiger,

Yes, you are saved even when you don't know it or feel it, even when you can't get rid of all the sin in your life, even when your voices are lying to you and making you feel like you're going to hell. You are saved by the incarnation, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Even if you don't feel it today, Christ died for you. Even when you can't silence the voices, Christ died for you. Trust that Christ died for you. Trust that Christ loves you beyond all measure. And even on the days when you're not able to trust, God still knows you, exactly as you are, illness and all, and God loves you.

I hope you are right. I want to believe this. My mom tells me God loves me. I have trouble believing it though because of all the things that have happened to me. Thank you.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveHisPresence

Jun 4, 2017
Los Angeles
✟20,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
it Hey snowtiger. To answer your question, no it is not possible to be saved and not know it.
One good verse to consider is 1 John 4:16. That's the gospel, that we come believe the love God has for us.
I suggest you look up sermons by Paul Washer. He speaks on the different nature's of born again Christian's and unbelievers. He usually speaks about this in most his sermons so really do some searching he has a lot of sermons on the internet. Born again believers indwelt by the holy spirit (meaning they have God's holy Spirit living inside of them) have a new nature that mourns over sin even though they may commit sin. They love God and the things of God like praying the reading of his Word and love to be encouraged in the things of the Lord. They have a God fearing nature. Jeremiah 32:40 says God puts this fear of himself in them that we might not turn away from Him. One thing I've noticed about in my own experience is that believers can't stay away from God for that long. Because a true believer is in spiritual union with God 1 Corinthians 6:17. So even if they sin for a while they always confess come back to God and continue with Him. You also feel empty when or if you ignore Him. So all this in mind you might see why it's not possible to be saved and indwelt by the Holy Spirit and not know it. I say all this to encourage to ask yourself without fear if you are in the faith or not. Hearing the message of the cross will definitely help you understand what the gospel is and become truly saved if you are not already. I'm not a good preacher of the cross but if you can find some sermons on the gospel or the message of the cross listen to them so you can believe it for your life and your sins specifically. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your message. Yeah I'm worried I'm not saved because I feel bad all of the time. I keep thinking I'm going to hell. I hear voices all of the time, both nice ones and mean ones. I think if I had the Holy Spirit it would drive the voices away.

Some of the voices in my head keep telling me that Jesus loves me, but I always deny it. These voices get really angry with me eventually because I won't listen. I keep thinking that I'm just too bad of a person to be saved.

I keep remembering all of these magical signs I've been given and I keep thinking that God hates me. The voices keep telling me that God loves me, but I always deny it.

It helps when people tell me that God loves me, but the effect usually wears off eventually and I go back to thinking God hates me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tyler52

Aug 11, 2019
Attica
✟29,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for your message. Yeah I'm worried I'm not saved because I feel bad all of the time. I keep thinking I'm going to hell. I hear voices all of the time, both nice ones and mean ones. I think if I had the Holy Spirit it would drive the voices away.

Some of the voices in my head keep telling me that Jesus loves me, but I always deny it. These voices get really angry with me eventually because I won't listen. I keep thinking that I'm just too bad of a person to be saved.

I keep remembering all of these magical signs I've been given and I keep thinking that God hates me. The voices keep telling me that God loves me, but I always deny it.

It helps when people tell me that God loves me, but the effect usually wears off eventually and I go back to thinking God hates me.

I know this is late, but I want you to here this.

First, know that God loves all people because they are his creation.

Second, read 2 Chronicles 32:30-33:20 it's about king Manasseh. He was a very bad man, but God forgave him when he asked for forgiveness. Whatever you've done, come to Jesus and seek to be perfect like him. Accept God's grace.

Third, see a doctor/Christian Psychiatrist and a godly clergyman. You may have something wrong mentally/chemically in your body.

Fourth, believe that Jesus loves you. If the bad voices attack you, say this prayer, "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me a sinner". I don't care if you say it in your head or out loud, just say it.

Fifth, watch these videos and don't listen to any bad voices. Jesus wants you along with all of his creation, that includes you. God bless.

Edit (start with this playlist)
Finding New Life - YouTube

(skip to 42:33)

Also, it doesn't matter if you are a Messianic Jew (first video) (edit, it's actually a playlis), Eastern Orthodox (second) or Catholic (third) they have good Christian advice. Do not listen to the voices, ever. Do not hurt anyone (including yourself) do not listen to them at all. Edit (Jesus created you, so he loves you because you are his. If you cling to Christ, then he won't let you go, the bad voice is a liar. I realize that this is easier said than done, I myself struggle with bad thoughts and doubt, stay strong. If I may recommend if music, listen to Theocracy, affector, Narnia (edit, a war that tore the land is good in my opinion), and sleeping romance, if your into rock music. These are bands that I like and I think that they might offer you a little hope if you listen to the lyrics. If you don't like hard rock, Theocracy has some stuff for you (although not everything) (another edit, Narnia to, affector has a soft song to.) and you might like HB (the band has a blonde chick as a singer, I say this because, there might be more than one HB.) This may get worse before it gets better. Here are more YouTube videos that I want you to watch.

Chronicles of the Desert - YouTube
Saints of the Orthodox Church - YouTube

I haven't even seen all of the videos in the second playlist, but I'm going to say this, I do not agree with the Eastern Orthodox on every issue, but their saints were often righteous men who lived lives that we can learn some. This is coming from a Protestant by the way. Like I said before, talk to a godly clergyman and a doctor/ Christian Psychiatrist, or a Christian therapist. God bless and I hope that you get better. (Jesus died for you, me, and the world. Everyone who is willing to except this and that Jesus is Lord will be saved. Rest assured and find someone who you trust to talk to about this edit (if there is someone who you know that you can talk to and they won't tell others) don't suffer alone if you don't have to. Rely on the strength of Christ and don't let anyone tell you that you can't be saved.)

Edit, one last thing, read the Bible, pray, ask for forgiveness, go to a Bible believing (good) church and try to be like Christ. Do not let voices keep you away from Christ. (Edit) I'll admit that I haven't always responded in the best way to my thoughts, and I don't think that I have always kept my advice, but you can be better. You are loved by Jesus, trust me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi.

Thanks,

SnowTiger

Friend, I believe you may have to stay strong a little more. Salvation is not an instant process. It might be for a few but it usually isn't the case. You will have to stay strong and try to eliminate idols that you have in your life, stop watching too much tv or tablet, and seek Jesus with empty hands. It took me a few years of suffering before I had a little saving faith. And that is not from me. I did nothing. I'll share a video that might enlighten you to the whole process. Probably someone will argue with me but this is share to you. Take it with a grain of salt.

The title for the video is - How to know if you are saved - And it explains the whole process of salvation, in my opinion very well. If you're like me in the past, I didn't have the patience to watch complicated videos, but bare with me. It might not do it for you, but I hope you can put your heart at rest. It takes time, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0