mreeed

shalom...
Oct 2, 2014
✟76,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A friend of mine who prides himself on his research propensities is trying to tell me so. Though in this case I am not quite sure what his research consists of; it seems that he mainly finds nothing conclusive about the traditional view.

He seems to put the 613 commandments of Torah first. Do none of these forbid this, is it only situational, such as with the Balaam-advised Moabites where the bitter fruit of turning away from the Lord was in actual evidence? Even Abraham, Isaac, and Rebekah - the first and second generation of the father of faith saw the importance of like-minded wives for their children. Though even then, Rachel had to be broken free from idolatry. There is the Deut 7:3 admonition, but only Canaanites are the problem? How legitimate is it to jump from non-marriage of Canaanites to non-yoking with unbelievers?

Regarding the II Cor 6:14 verse at hand, his reasoning is that his new Buddhist wife is respectful with a servant's heart and actively encourages (helps, reminds etc) him to keep the Sabbath (and presumably other elements of his faith). Compared to his ex-wife who though messianic was quite at least verbally abusive to him. His reasoning seems to be that he felt unequally yoked before, but not now.

He believes she has no desire or inclination to pull him away from the Lord, even that in things such as mentioned that she may or will help him draw closer, so it is ok. Yet even geographically he has moved away from fellowship, and long commuting to his new high-learning-curve job plus help with her new business leaves no time and energy for gathering at least in short term.

Maybe he thinks he is taking a high road with respect to his altruism towards this lady. Apparently it was her family's idea for him to ask her to marry him. I have a sense that at some level he must be disillusioned with the women of North American culture. Though he is very charismatic and has plenty of female friends, including still one he almost married.

Also not seeing an imperative for a ceremony in scripture he has dispensed with that too. I don't know/remember if he has made things legal in the sight of the law, but since he has made his commitment in the sight of the Lord perhaps that is a moot point. Like Joshua and the Gibeonites I believe he now must honour his commitment. Interesting that the Gibeonites were made servants on behalf of the temple (to encourage towards worship?) in a levitical town and that they also were part of the group of exiles that came back to Jerusalem to build the wall.

I grieve for him, perhaps I grieve most that he did not seem to feel the rest of the Body was worth consulting for wise counsel. Only now, maybe a couple months later is he starting to tell people his news. While I love the people in our movement and it brings certain important correctives to the Body, it does seem we have some extra pitfalls to be wary of among us. I had never considered that something like this could be one of them, but when some people become so disillusioned by what they were once taught that they trust nobody but themselves, results are unpredictable and it can be a recipe for disaster. Father, let no one else stumble over this, and let us be careful of letter-only law!

What could make him see it? Is it too late, or what should my discussion objective be? If they later have a celebration/ ceremony, is it at all fitting to attend and support a commitment already made because once made it should not be broken? Is it comparable to making a common-law relationship official (legal and/or covenantal)? Anybody have a philosophy on the ethical concepts relating to asking 'permission' vs asking forgiveness?

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, Rahab the prostitute is in Yeshua's ancestry, and Ruth was a Moabite!

Paul tells women that by the example of their gentler, belief in Yeshua, they will show their husbands, the Way. Their husbands, therefore, not being believers.

I was an unbeliever until I met my late wife!

But one has to reflect on the fact that if they are married to an unbeliever, there will not be that common tie between you of the Holy Spirit, and to weigh whether G_d intended the union. If G_d wanted to save that man / women by marriage to a believer who are we to argue? It's about discernrnent and sharing what you feel G_d is saying to you with fellow believers that you trust.

On the other hand was Paul talking about marriage alone, or the connections we make in life, or both?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
2 Cor 6:14 - 15

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

According to the Bible it should not be done and it is a line in the sand. So no.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Regarding the II Cor 6:14 verse at hand, his reasoning is that his new Buddhist wife is respectful with a servant's heart and actively encourages (helps, reminds etc) him to keep the Sabbath (and presumably other elements of his faith). Compared to his ex-wife who though messianic was quite at least verbally abusive to him. His reasoning seems to be that he felt unequally yoked before, but not now.

He believes she has no desire or inclination to pull him away from the Lord, even that in things such as mentioned that she may or will help him draw closer, so it is ok. Yet even geographically he has moved away from fellowship, and long commuting to his new high-learning-curve job plus help with her new business leaves no time and energy for gathering at least in short term.

Many times it may appear that all is good with an unsaved spouse encouraging someone to practice their faith when in actuallity the enemy is communing with them behind the scenes.

The two become one...what might the spiritual ramafications be with idols in the Temple of the Holy Spirit.

Remember we are a three part man. The enemy can defile the outer courts (body), the inner courts( the soul) and never the Holy of Holies( our spirit that is the Lords presence in us). Whick parts are being defiled through the union?

We fight not against flesh and blood. EPH 6

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Deut 22:10 Do not plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together.

The donkey and the ox are simple two separate animals with different strengths and weaknesses. Plowing with two ox or just two donkeys would be much more effective. The ox and the donkey would just be burdensome on each other, causing the plowing process to be much more difficult than it need be. So also is being yoked with an unbeliever who has a different direction in life than the believer. The tug of war between the two creates a very zig zag path and often results in a circular result.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Believers, considered equally yoked, also get divorced. So even marrying another believer is not a guarantee that a marriage will last.

Yes but being unequally yoked also forces the Holy Spirit to commune with darkness. It is a battle not by flesh and blood....Eph 6

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So in my case - my wife leading me to be a believer, was in spite of G_d's will for either of us?

That's mortifying!

If she married you knowing you werent saved unfortunately it was going against God's Word. But congrates on being saved!! Welcome to the family!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If she married you knowing you werent saved unfortunately it was going against God's Word. But congrates on being saved!! Welcome to the family!

It was looooong time ago! Perhaps I should welcome you to the family!

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A friend of mine who prides himself on his research propensities is trying to tell me so. Though in this case I am not quite sure what his research consists of; it seems that he mainly finds nothing conclusive about the traditional view.

He seems to put the 613 commandments of Torah first. Do none of these forbid this, is it only situational, such as with the Balaam-advised Moabites where the bitter fruit of turning away from the Lord was in actual evidence? Even Abraham, Isaac, and Rebekah - the first and second generation of the father of faith saw the importance of like-minded wives for their children. Though even then, Rachel had to be broken free from idolatry. There is the Deut 7:3 admonition, but only Canaanites are the problem? How legitimate is it to jump from non-marriage of Canaanites to non-yoking with unbelievers?

Maybe he thinks he is taking a high road with respect to his altruism towards this lady. Apparently it was her family's idea for him to ask her to marry him. I have a sense that at some level he must be disillusioned with the women of North American culture. Though he is very charismatic and has plenty of female friends, including still one he almost married.

Also not seeing an imperative for a ceremony in scripture he has dispensed with that too. I don't know/remember if he has made things legal in the sight of the law, but since he has made his commitment in the sight of the Lord perhaps that is a moot point. Like Joshua and the Gibeonites I believe he now must honour his commitment. Interesting that the Gibeonites were made servants on behalf of the temple (to encourage towards worship?) in a levitical town and that they also were part of the group of exiles that came back to Jerusalem to build the wall.

I grieve for him, perhaps I grieve most that he did not seem to feel the rest of the Body was worth consulting for wise counsel. Only now, maybe a couple months later is he starting to tell people his news. While I love the people in our movement and it brings certain important correctives to the Body, it does seem we have some extra pitfalls to be wary of among us. I had never considered that something like this could be one of them, but when some people become so disillusioned by what they were once taught that they trust nobody but themselves, results are unpredictable and it can be a recipe for disaster. Father, let no one else stumble over this, and let us be careful of letter-only law!

What could make him see it? Is it too late, or what should my discussion objective be? If they later have a celebration/ ceremony, is it at all fitting to attend and support a commitment already made because once made it should not be broken? Is it comparable to making a common-law relationship official (legal and/or covenantal)? Anybody have a philosophy on the ethical concepts relating to asking 'permission' vs asking forgiveness?

Marriage was divinely established in Eden and affirmed by Jesus to be a lifelong union between a man and a woman in loving companionship. For the Christian a marriage commitment is to God as well as to the spouse, and should be entered into only between partners who share a common faith. Mutual love, honor, respect, and responsibility are the fabric of this relationship, which is to reflect the love, sanctity, closeness, and permanence of the relationship between Christ and His church.

Joshua 24

... 15 But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD."

or not ... that is the question

How and who will we worship together as a couple?
How will our children be raised and how and who will we worship together as a family?

Mark 3

25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Well, Rahab the prostitute is in Yeshua's ancestry, and Ruth was a Moabite!

Paul tells women that by the example of their gentler, belief in Yeshua, they will show their husbands, the Way. Their husbands, therefore, not being believers.

I was an unbeliever until I met my late wife!

But one has to reflect on the fact that if they are married to an unbeliever, there will not be that common tie between you of the Holy Spirit, and to weigh whether G_d intended the union. If G_d wanted to save that man / women by marriage to a believer who are we to argue? It's about discernrnent and sharing what you feel G_d is saying to you with fellow believers that you trust.

On the other hand was Paul talking about marriage alone, or the connections we make in life, or both?
I don't think 2 Cor 6:14 is about marriage? The context deals with G_d's people and idol worship promoted among Israel. Elijah the prophet had to preach to Israel to cause her to repent. Yeshua says his yoke is easy, his burden is light. Light has no weight to carry, what fellowship has light with darkness? In the days of Elijah, he endured persecution from King Ahab and Jezebel, much in the same way Christ and his apstles endured suffering from Jewish leaders. 2 Cor 6 has much to do with the servants of G_d suffering for the name of Yeshua, the yoke must be broken! (Isaiah 10:27)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Good questions.......
Isaiah 45 indicates that the metaphorical Bride of Messiah.... .the church......
may see Messiah Yeshua - Jesus manifest more so through somebody who does not know G-d...... than they have seen through others who claim to be sincere and exceptionally dedicated servants of Messiah Yeshua - Jesus.

President Trump for all his many, many, many, many flaws..... may be inspired to fulfill parts of Isaiah chapter 45 much better than President Ted Cruz would have done..........????

So yes..... in the case of an actual marriage a Buddhist who respects and assists her Messianic husband may actually have more of the Holy Spirit flowing through her than his first wife who claimed to be Messianic or Christian.

Upvote 0