Is it possible to be a Crypto-Christian?

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I'm somewhat a Crypto-Christian right now myself simply because I live with family that is not very friendly towards religion. I still go to church and stuff, but I'm pretty hush hush about my faith at home.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Even if we can’t talk about our faith openly, we still should show the love of Christ in our actions and words. It may not be directly speaking on the topic of faith, but it should be reflected in who we are and how we live.

We shouldn’t lie about our faith either...so the concept of being a crypto-Christian doesn’t sound right to me. Not bringing it up or talking about it due to potential conflict is different than purposefully hiding or lying about what we do. Crypto-Christian from my perspective implies the latter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven." (in Matthew 10:32)

My opinion is that if you have confessed Jesus before someone, that seed is sown, and then possibly you might not keep saying your confession, but you might be busy with proving it by your actions.

And trust God to guide you to do and say what He wants.

Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Even if we can’t talk about our faith openly, we still should show the love of Christ in our actions and words. It may not be directly speaking on the topic of faith, but it should be reflected in who we are and how we live.

We shouldn’t lie about our faith either...so the concept of being a crypto-Christian doesn’t sound right to me. Not bringing it up or talking about it due to potential conflict is different than purposefully hiding or lying about what we do. Crypto-Christian from my perspective implies the latter.
What about new Christians in Muslim countries?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What about new Christians in Muslim countries?
As I am not in that situation, I don’t feel like I can speak to that fully. There were the catacomb churches, so I’m not saying it isn’t possible. That said, they should show the love of Christ in their actions and words, even if it isn’t discussing Christianity.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,413.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
while I agree that might not be the best word choice, I would have to say yes we can.
Christians had to be secret in the early times when Christianity was illegal in the empire, right? The deacon told me when he raises the orarion it's partly in remembrance of when they would hide the bits of scripture they had inside of it, because you'd be in trouble if caught with such. But being secretive is different from denying Christ if you're caught, right?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But being secretive is different from denying Christ if you're caught, right?
I think, my opinion, is that we can be more open than we realize during persecution. For example, the Apostle John went right in to the high priest's place, while Peter was scared. The priest knew John as a disciple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It brings to mind Theophilus in Luke and Acts, he is addressed as 'most excellent' so is believed to have been a Roman Governor. I've always thought it was Sergius Paulus (Acts 13:6-12), but no one really knows.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christians had to be secret in the early times when Christianity was illegal in the empire, right? The deacon told me when he raises the orarion it's partly in remembrance of when they would hide the bits of scripture they had inside of it, because you'd be in trouble if caught with such. But being secretive is different from denying Christ if you're caught, right?

yes it is.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm somewhat a Crypto-Christian right now myself simply because I live with family that is not very friendly towards religion. I still go to church and stuff, but I'm pretty hush hush about my faith at home.

I like the Icon!

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I know St Ahmed the Calligrapher didn't mention he was Christian during a long time and we see in the Bible examples such as Naaman and Nicodemus who did stuff in secret.
There are a few. A small number of Turks occasionally travel to Thessaloniki to be baptised. I knew one on Facebook (he passed away like a year ago) he was from Trabzon which at one time became it's own christian kingdom seperate from Constantinople. He was basically a cryptochristian and it seems his relatives may have been handing down certain Christian teachings while living as Turkish muslims.

• Informative
Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Have you watched the Scorsese film Silence, based on the novel by Shusaku Endo? It's all about Crypto-Christians.

The hidden Christians in Japan definitely suffered alot. In the end of the film, you can sense the depression resignation of the priests as they help to dismantle the outward signs of their religion. But it is implied that the younger priest Rodrigues faith is actually strongest in this part of the film, when it is most hidden and he feels the most defeated, and Rodrigues comes to a profound realization about God.

It's a very deep film, well worth watching. Pastor tried recommending it to people at our church after he read the book (I gave it to him), but some found it too disturbing, and it is. But that's why I think its worth watching.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Have you watched the Scorsese film Silence, based on the novel by Shusaku Endo? It's all about Crypto-Christians.

The hidden Christians in Japan definitely suffered alot. In the end of the film, you can sense the depression resignation of the priests as they help to dismantle the outward signs of their religion. But it is implied that the younger priest Rodrigues faith is actually strongest in this part of the film, when it is most hidden and he feels the most defeated, and Rodrigues comes to a profound realization about God.

It's a very deep film, well worth watching. Pastor tried recommending it to people at our church after he read the book (I gave it to him), but some found it too disturbing, and it is. But that's why I think its worth watching.

I was going to comment on some stuff in that film, but I don't want to leave spoilers for those who haven't seen it.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I was going to comment on some stuff in that film, but I don't want to leave spoilers for those who haven't seen it.
Are you referring to the 2016 film directed by Martin Scorsese or the 1971 film by Masahiro Shinoda? I haven’t seen either but would be interested in a good film version of the book.

EDIT: Sorry, didn’t read your post well enough - I see you are talking about the Scorsese film. Thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here is an old newspaper article seems to be. a Lutheran periodical (with a bizarre protestant twist of course). Look under the heading "contributions" on page 4. Speaks of the cryptochristians that returned in the 18th-19th centuries in Turkey before the Turkish revolution uprooted them:

Augustana Journal

Upvote 0