• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Is it possible that Jesus was a white man?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by madaz, Sep 27, 2013.

1. madaz

madaz dyslexic agnostic insomniac

+23
    Atheist
    Private
    I have seen some pictures depicting Jesus Christ as a Caucasian, some even depict him having blue eyes.

Do you think it was possible he was actually white?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. circuitrider

circuitrider United Methodist Supporter

+389
    United States
    Methodist
    Private
    No, if by "white" you mean "Caucasian." These are just artistic renditions of Jesus from the culture they were created in.

I've also seen paintings from Africa in which Jesus is painted as an African. You can't go by artistic material as evidence for Jesus' ethnic makeup.

3. Etheri

Etheri Fellow Atheist

+74
    Atheist
    Private
    Is this even important?

4. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,601
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    I don't think that Jesus had even existed.

However, if he had existed, I doubt that he was white, unless you include "Jewish" in the category "white".

eudaimonia,

Mark

5. madaz

+23
    Atheist
    Private
    Cheers Mark. I don't believe the Jesus as depicted in the gospels ever actually existed but that's an entirely different discussion and I don't include Jewish in the category of "white" either.

6. Albion

Albion Factchecker

+31,862
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Pictures like that one exist because we all like to think of Jesus as looking like a person of our own race. In other parts of the world, he's depicted as looking Asian or African.

It's very unlikely, but there is an argument that he might have been. However, it assumes that he was either born of a human father or that Mary was not Jewish.

7. Iosias

Iosias Senior Contributor

+216
    Christian Seeker
    Private
    Jesus was Jewish, thus he would not have been white.

8. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+5,776
    Atheist
    Single
    Yes it is possible. I'd say about 10 times as likely as him really being a Vulcan.

9. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+5,970
    Atheist
    Married
    Depends on how you define "white." If the Biblical account of Jesus's ancestry is accurate, he would be of Middle Eastern Semitic lineage. If white means exclusively European, then he would not be white.

The vast majority of modern Jews are of European (Ashkenazi) ethnicity. The most current DNA analyses confirm they have combined Semitic, European, and Caucasian ancestry. (Meaning from the Europe/western Asia border region.) So modern Jews are clearly a mixed substock of the white race. And in the US, something like 50% of Jews now marry non-Jews. If this trend continues, in several centuries there may be very few ethnically "pure" Jews left.

New study sheds light on the origin of the European Jewish population

10. madaz

+23
    Atheist
    Private
    No more important than discussing if Santa suit was possibly green instead of red, but Jesus skin colour maybe of some importance to the anti-middle eastern christians in the bible belt of America possibly?

11. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+5,776
    Atheist
    Single
    It rather depends where someone is going with it.

To take the extremes. If a White Jesus is used as an image to white people and the intent is simply that Jesus was in a way a man just like you and me, no problem.

If the same white Jesus is used preaching to Black or brown (or most ironic middle eastern) people and the message is Jesus was white, not like you, then there is a big problem.

And the later does happen, sometime by intent sometimes by accident.

12. benmaarof

benmaarof Senior Member

+31
    Muslim
    Married
    Was Jesus an albino?

13. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+10,750
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    For the purpose of identifying Jesus with what is known as the white race (as in WASP), Jesus was 'white'.

14. Dusky Mouse

Dusky Mouse Cats Are In Charge ~ Accept It!

+101
    Charismatic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Given where he was born? No.

15. Cearbhall

Cearbhall Well-Known Member

+5,665
    United States
    Other Religion
    Single
    No.

16. OldWiseGuy

+10,750
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
  17. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+16,065
    Christian
    Married
    Jesus was a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant?

18. OldWiseGuy

+10,750
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Carefully dissect my post and all will be clear. :D

19. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+16,065
    Christian
    Married
    I was listening to an NPR program a couple of Saturdays ago in which a middle-aged black Catholic man was describing how the predominantly white Catholic (Chicago) neighborhood his parents moved to became predominatly black over the years.

He went to a Catholic school, and one morning sometime around the point the neighborhood swung "predominantly black," the school principal--a short-but-imposing Irish-American nun--marched into each classroom and replaced each crucifix (at that time depicting a white Jesus) with a crucifix depicting a black Jesus.

In his class, someone dared ask her "why." She replied simply, "Because Jesus probably looked more like you than like me."

The man telling the story made an additional point: She could have had the janitor replace the crucifixes during a weekend. She could have had someone else do it.

But she--the principal, the chief local authority--made the change, and she made it in a way that made it clear she was fully in step with it.

20. circuitrider

circuitrider United Methodist Supporter

+389
    United States
    Methodist
    Private
    Good post RDKirk!