Is it possible for us to "love God with all your heart and mind"? (Matt 22:37)

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,140.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it possible for us to love God with all your heart, soul and mind?

Why? Why not?

Matthew 22:37
And He said to him, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

Forgot the poll... Is it possible to add afterwards somehow?

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: brinny

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it possible for us to love God with all your heart and mind? (Matt 22:37)

Why? Why not?

And He said to him, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

Not while we are still in this corruptible body of ours.

But after the redemption of our earthly bodies during the rapture, yes we will be able to

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is it possible for us to love God with all your heart, soul and mind

No, why because we are sinful and preoccupied with other things.

God's ultimate command to us, is to be perfect as the Lord our God is perfect.

Can you obey, if not why not?

This is the difference between Christianity and All other religions
That one cannot achieve perfection and has to recieve, as a free gift salvation etc.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Why? Why not?

The commandment's were given to show us that it's impossible to keep them. But all things are possible with God, He kept them on behalf of those who believe and put their trust in Him.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We can resolve to do so, even if we don't do it perfectly. Jesus sent the Paraclete to help us grow in that capacity.
No, why because we are sinful and preoccupied with other things.
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, Michael W. Smith (2001)

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Why? Why not?

Outside of Christ, no. The natural man is hostile to God, does not know God's ways and has been blinded by Satan. The Christian (in other words, one who is born again), has the love of God poured into his heart by the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5). God has given us the love to love him with. It is then a matter of choosing to love God. When we know God intuitively, it is our desire to love Him.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,140.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Outside of Christ, no. The natural man is hostile to God, does not know God's ways and has been blinded by Satan. The Christian (in other words, one who is born again), has the love of God poured into his heart by the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5). God has given us the love to love him with. It is then a matter of choosing to love God. When we know God intuitively, it is our desire to love Him.

Would you answer "yes" then, that it is possible for the born again believer to love God with all heart, soul and mind?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Why? Why not?

When Jesus was asked what is the great commandment, the narrative says that the teacher was
testing Him. There is a message in the His answer. The scripture quoted was the answer the scribe was seeking, and it was and is commonly referred to by the first word. Shema. Hearken unto, usually just
translated Hear, O Israel, but in Truth shema means "listen and obey as it is used here:
Isaiah 1:9 If you are willing and obedient [shemah] you shall eat the good of the land.
Genesis 22:18 In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed [shemah] My voice.

This is the correct understanding of the faith of Abraham. Not believe-ism. Listen and obey-ism.
Shema O Israel!

Jeremiah 7:
For I did not speak to your fathers, or command them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices.
23 But this is what I commanded them, saying, ‘Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be My people. And walk in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well with you.

Exodus 19:5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Why? Why not?

Yes. Through Christ, we are able.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes. Through Christ, we are able.
John 14:15. If you love Me, keep My commandments.
The more we listen and obey, the more we express our love for the Father.
God's love is not sentimental. We express our love by comprehending His covenant and walking
in that Truth. A faithful servant will eventually be seen as a friend, even to a King.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Why? Why not?

I'll tell you if ever I find myself achieving this in perfection for a solid 24 hour period of time.

So far? No...

So much so I fear those who claim they can and do every day are simply deceiving themselves.

I just love Him my best in my capacity according to my ability - but it's not enough, it's never enough, most certainly not for all He's done for, and given, me...

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why? Why not?

We are capable but we don't for whatever reasons. If we loved with all our heart we would never sin. We say it but from the outside looking in our actions say different. I struggle with this all the time. I feel that I do love with all my heart yet I still fail constantly. You can't have it both ways.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Would you answer "yes" then, that it is possible for the born again believer to love God with all heart, soul and mind?
I believe that we can, and do, when nothing in this world even casts a shadow on God.
1 John 2:15. Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world,
the love of the Father is not in him.
True story. When my ex-wife left me, she literally said that she was tired of coming in third place in
my life behind God and the children! Think about that as a reason for a "no fault" divorce.
I wanted to tell her, "Well, we have two children, if you consider the Father, the Son and the Holy
Spirit, that makes you number 6. Deal with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Why? Why not?

That's a matter of grace. We come to love God as we come to know Him; the more we know Him the more we love Him, and this knowledge, this knowing Him, is fully consummated in the next life when we meet Him "face to face" (Cor 13:12).

But love is the goal; it defines justice or righteousness for man. When fully blossomed, when we truly place God above the love of anything else, anything less, when we choose only the good, the highest Good, the perfection or full potential that God has in mind for us would be attained. So it's a very good and worthy goal, the best goal, and with grace we will finally achieve it.

Jesus came so that we may know God, and so place our faith in Him which means a connection, a communion, is now established which constitutes the life of grace, as we remain in Him. That communion with God is our life-source and the primary aspect of our justice or righteousness; it justifies us. Adam thought he knew better, that he didn't need God. But:
"Apart from Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5).

Intrinsic to that relationship is actual righteousness given, even if only in seedling form to begin with, that must be "exercised": tested, challenged, stretched, and grown. Historically this "righteousness of God" that's given us has been understood to be comprised of the virtues of faith, hope, and love, with love being the most important.
"And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." (Rom 5:5)

We must "invest" these gifts as per the Parable of the Talents, whereby they will grow, grace leading to more grace. To know God is to love Him; everything begins with that revelation, that knowledge that has no end, no boundaries. And:
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." John 17:3

Last edited:
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just love Him my best in my capacity according to my ability - but it's not enough, it's never enough, most certainly not for all He's done for, and given, me...
He'll Take Care of the Rest, Keith Green (1977)

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,217.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Why? Why not?

Yes, with the indwelling Holy Spirit unquenched you can do stuff way beyond even your imagination, but it is really not you doing it but you are allowing the Spirit to do it through you.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,140.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe it depends what we think Jesus is saying. If we believe Jesus is saying that we have to love God with all heart, mind and soul always and never fail in love, I don't think we can. But we can love God to the point where we can't bare to fail Him. We can put Him first in life, choose Him even in very hard life situations, even give our life for Him. We can "fall in love" with him. So from the second perspective I think we can love Him with our whole heart, soul and mind.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think so, for example because I don’t know any reason why it would not be possible. I don’t think God gives commandments that are not possible to be kept.

• Agree
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0