Is it okay to be a Christian and support same sex marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well I'm schizophrenic and one time years ago I beat two people up, because I was delusional and paranoid and couldn't afford my meds for a couple years. Didn't have Obama care back then. And I was prosecuted as a normal person and sent to jail for 7 months. I probably should have been sent to a mental ward instead where I could have been treated for my illness. I see it as an injustice of the sick and afflicted to treat them as normal decision making people. But I'm on meds and haven't had any problems for a long time. Had I had medical care I wouldn't have got into trouble and the incident wouldn't have happened.

Hey maybe some day they'll have meds for homosexual's brain dysfunction or whatever it is?

yes, you are right about that, and the problem comes, first of all, from the kingdom of spiritual unrighteousness, i mean many spiritual servants didn't take good care of their neighbors/cohabitants, of course by saying that i am not trying to say that i defend anyone else's iniquity

maybe yes, in the army they put some kind of bromide in our food

Blessings

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't really talk about 'Refraining from being gay' because I can't relate. You might find this woman interesting, I heard her speak several years ago...

One thing I've been thinking of recently is how you do not marry in Heaven. So sex won't even exist in Heaven!?? I can't wrap my head around that, but I have to say that a part of me MIGHT understand why, I would find it hard not to lust in Heaven if we all had glorified (gorgeous) bodies, which means gorgeous women would be everywhere. So will there be things that are better than sex, yet innocent?? Anyway, I find it interesting about the no marriage in Heaven thing. The gay issue is such a hot topic, but Hmm...will there be no gay OR straight in Heaven? Is gender attraction totally obsolete in Heaven? Feel free to comment anyone because I'd like to better understand that. Maybe sexual lust simply must not exist in in any facet in Heaven because it can not be tamed 100%?

Attraction is not something that is controlled because attraction is derived from sinful nature. Attraction to others distracts us from God. But think about it, were there such things as gay or straight with Adam and Eve? No. But men and women were meant to become one flesh and to multiply. Will we need to in the new heaven and new earth? Idk lol. But yes, having eternal life alone is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than entertaining a sexual desire.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me start off by apologizing if I'm putting this in the wrong part of the forum. This is something that's been bothering me for a while and I'm hoping to get some opinions. I support not only same sex marriage, but also the LGBT community in general. Can I still be a Christian despite this? I know that something such as same sex marriage directly goes against what's in the Bible (marriage being between one man and one woman). I'm really conflicted here. I feel guilty, but I can't change how I feel. Thanks for reading.
The Bible has no wording about same sex marriage, but instead describes very specific sexual sins only,.like adultery and others including intercourse sodomy, which sin some marriages have included. Including straight marriages. We all sin though, and all need to repent at times. I've no doubt there are some committed ongoing same gender unions that rarely do sex sins, and some even never in years. But all do sin, and all need Christ.

Most of us need to work on ourselves.

On overcoming our own sins.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Attraction is not something that is controlled because attraction is derived from sinful nature. Attraction to others distracts us from God. But think about it, were there such things as gay or straight with Adam and Eve? No. But men and women were meant to become one flesh and to multiply. Will we need to in the new heaven and new earth? Idk lol. But yes, having eternal life alone is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than entertaining a sexual desire.
Yeah I don't believe people choose to be gay that is absurd.
The Bible has no wording about same sex marriage, but instead describes very specific sexual sins only,.like adultery and others including intercourse sodomy, which sin some marriages have included. Including straight marriages. We all sin though, and all need to repent at times.

The thing is, I don't think 'Gay marriage' is really anything at all. God is not going to join 2 of the same gender as one as he would a man and a woman. So there may have been a nice party, some great food, lots of pictures taken, but as far as a definition of what 'Christian Marriage' is nothing technically happened anyway lol. 2 spirits were not joined as one by God. All there was was some empty ritual.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
PROVE that homosexuality is a mental disease! And if it is, why judge them as sinners? If someone has Down's Syndrome, do you automatically throw them out of the church? While God can heal a genetic infirmity, can you? Can any of the doctors of the day? NO! IF, therefore, homosexuals are mentally ill, then it is a great injustice to throw then out of the church, or even try to make them change!

homosexuality is at least a mental deviation, and it is curable, especially through righteous faith and prayer

the cause of every disease/illness/disorder is a devilish spirit rather than germs, bacteria, or disorder coming from the very nervous system or the very physical organism, which is why Jesus and His true disciples always cast devilish spirits out of demon-possessed people - everything they did was based on exorcism, including the healing through faith, prayer and laying on of hands, as in the following case:

Luke 4:38-39 (NHEB) "Simon's mother-in-law was afflicted with a great fever, and they begged him for her. He stood over her, and rebuked the fever; and it left her. Immediately she rose up and served them."

if we don't make any change for the better of the sick, how will they be healed/fine?!

Blessings

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The little I do know about Biblical Times is that the people were often out of control compared to now. Going to temple prostitutes was seen as a form of worship to some fertility gods at one stage in the OT. Orgies?? Parents offering their daughters to strangers. I mean no wonder God introduced the 10 commandments.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not about not passing judgement it's about how you pass judgement. It's about taking the log out of your eye before you point out the spec in your brother's eye. Then again that's Paul, his life was far more pure 'At that point in his life' than mine. But I think we've all seen what Paul is talking about though, I think we have all experienced that abrasive arrogant Christian who scolds, and I think we have all also experienced that gentle humble Christian who gently points things out in a non accusatory manor. Unfortunately I'm guilty at times of not being the later ugh.
Also, that was chapter 1. The first thing he talks about to the Romans and I think I know why. I've been to Rome a couple times and love it. But, I went to Pompeii and found it rather vile. The artifacts they pulled out of there are all in the inappropriate content Museum. The other town nearby was covered in lava. Look's like it was Saddam and Gomorrah revisited.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
And can any parents say they have been truly tested on this? Such as having a child announce their gayness? How would you react?
I think I'd be modifying my current views anyway. Experience is like that. It tests out all the nice theories we like to live by.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yeah I don't believe people choose to be gay that is absurd.

Because we were born in sin. All of us born broken and fell short of the glory of God.We choose to make our brokenness our identity.That's why Jesus said to deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow Him.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where does it say "what is right" = my personal opinion of what is right?

I guess I left that one off this time:

New International Version
If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.

New Living Translation
Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.

English Standard Version
So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

Berean Study Bible
Therefore, whoever knows the right thing to do, yet fails to do it, is guilty of sin.

Berean Literal Bible
Therefore to the one knowing to do good, and not doing, it is sin.

New American Standard Bible
Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

John 9:41
"If you were blind," Jesus replied,
"you would not be guilty of sin.
But since you claim you can see,
your guilt remains."

2 Peter 2:21
It would have been better for them
not to have known the way of
righteousness than to have known
it and turned away from the holy
commandment passed on to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And can any parents say they have been truly tested on this? Such as having a child announce their gayness? How would you react?
I think I'd be modifying my current views anyway. Experience is like that. It tests out all the nice theories we like to live by.
I live in Hawaii and wear some gay shirts(in a good sense). Lots of flowers.

I once called my mother and told her that since moving to Hawaii that I had become quite gay and that I had aids....*silence*

"My 'aids' do everything for me!" She could have killed me! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's funny that Paul paints a very vile picture concerning homosexuals in Romans 1 and then says in Romans 2 that if you pass judgment: your just like them!

Becasue he is talking about loose sexual morality and being promiscuous.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Show me ONE verse in the Gospels, where Jesus spoke against homosexuality.

It is said that Jesus wrote all of scripture
through the Holy Spirit
from God's breath
through Paul
in some circles.

Reactions: Haipule
Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I guess I left that one off this time:

New International Version
If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.

New Living Translation
Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.

English Standard Version
So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

Berean Study Bible
Therefore, whoever knows the right thing to do, yet fails to do it, is guilty of sin.

Berean Literal Bible
Therefore to the one knowing to do good, and not doing, it is sin.

New American Standard Bible
Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

John 9:41
"If you were blind," Jesus replied,
"you would not be guilty of sin.
But since you claim you can see,
your guilt remains."

2 Peter 2:21
It would have been better for them
not to have known the way of
righteousness than to have known
it and turned away from the holy
commandment passed on to them.
Once again, it never says the "right thing" = my personal opinion; never says "the good you ought to do" = my personal opinion.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is only ok to support them if you are also willing to support the groups of people who are strongly against them as well. Obviously this would be hard to do. Why not just let things be and let God do the separating in the end?

We should have learned by now that viewing things as good and evil does not make us like Gods....so we should put down the Serpents fruits and look for the tree of Life instead.

If you are against People because of the choice they make, are we not also against the One who gave them the ability to make that choice?

Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let me start off by apologizing if I'm putting this in the wrong part of the forum. This is something that's been bothering me for a while and I'm hoping to get some opinions. I support not only same sex marriage, but also the LGBT community in general. Can I still be a Christian despite this? I know that something such as same sex marriage directly goes against what's in the Bible (marriage being between one man and one woman). I'm really conflicted here. I feel guilty, but I can't change how I feel. Thanks for reading.
Accepting a gay-lesbian lifestyle is not likened to building a house on a good foundation. A sinner may seek to be a Christian and try to learn its teachings. I was taught celibacy is acceptable and fidelity between two married partners is acceptable. I do not accept same sex marriage as a function of Christianity.

This article reports gay-lesbian people die much younger than heterosexuals:
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2007/04/04/american-scientist-gays-die-younger-than-smokers/

This article reports gay-lesbian people are 2 to 3 times more likely to be mentally ill than heterosexuals:
Gay people more likely to have mental health problems, survey says

Some people who were lesbian repented and became heterosexual. Ellen DeGeneres "married" a woman. After seven years her lover Portia de Rossi left her to marry a man.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you do not "support" LGBT-Q folk, do you equally not "support" everything else God calls an abomination? Liars? People that stir up conflict? Those divorced and remarried? Women wearing men's garments? People who are prideful? Cheaters (divers weights and measures?? Those who bear false witness? Scoffers? Schemers (i.e evil plans)?

It is not our job to separate the sheep from the goats. It is reserved for the Son of Man to do. Neither are we suppose to separate the weeds from the wheat until the harvest. (Underlinings are mine).

The Parable of the Weeds
24 Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25 But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26 When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

27 “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’

28 “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied.

“The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’

29 “‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’
I prefer just to work real hard at loving my neighbor as myself while respecting the dignity of every human being. God will judge us all.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It is only ok to support them if you are also willing to support the groups of people who are strongly against them as well. Obviously this would be hard to do. Why not just let things be and let God do the separating in the end?

We should have learned by now that viewing things as good and evil does not make us like Gods....so we should put down the Serpents fruits and look for the tree of Life instead.

If you are against People because of the choice they make, are we not also against the One who gave them the ability to make that choice?

Did you just suggest to not share the gospel with them, because it's hard???? If you're not a witness, then you're an accomplice.The accomplice to the crime will still share the punishment. Don't be an accomplice.

Do you support every decision someone you love make? No. Does that mean you don't truly love them? No. That means you value them enough to make sure they are going the right direction. If you don't love them enough to share something that you know and believe that will literally save them from damnation, it's either you don't believe it will save them, or you don't really care for them much to share.

We make up this fake idealogy of love for all that just appeals to others so that we don't seem like the bad guy and save our heads for another day. Crucify others that actually share what the scriptures said to be buddies with the world. We deprive them from the truth, and become indifferent and numb and cold to what God said...because its hard. -__-

Ugh the indifference and political correctness we try to have about God just....no words.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Accepting a gay-lesbian lifestyle is not likened to building a house on a good foundation. A sinner may seek to be a Christian and try to learn its teachings. I was taught celibacy is acceptable and fidelity between two married partners is acceptable. I do not accept same sex marriage as a function of Christianity.

This article reports gay-lesbian people die much younger than heterosexuals:
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2007/04/04/american-scientist-gays-die-younger-than-smokers/

This article reports gay-lesbian people are 2 to 3 times more likely to be mentally ill than heterosexuals:
Gay people more likely to have mental health problems, survey says

Some people who were lesbian repented and became heterosexual. Ellen DeGeneres "married" a woman. After seven years her lover Portia de Rossi left her to marry a man.

It be Anne Heche who left Ellen to marry a man.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm really conflicted here. I feel guilty, but I can't change how I feel. Thanks for reading.

Sometimes making those changes are not easy but, it should be our goal to follow the Bible.

We love them all but, should never condone their sins just as you should not condone mine.

Accept them but, not their sin.

I've lost a couple of friends due to doing that lately.

M-Bob

Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.