Is it okay to be a Christian and support same sex marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well you've alread gotten the "You can, but you shouldn't!" answer so I'll give you something even better to think about.

For starters we can only serve one master. So by supporting LGBT marriage (and in general) we have chosen to serve the wrong master. Mind you this can be said about most things we choose to do. I am far from perfect. So we should reconsider when we serve the wrong master.

Next up, the devil is wise and knows we are weak and just how to get us to his side. In this case we tend to be weak when it comes to peer pressure. In todays world they are telling us LGBT (and other topics) are important and we should support them. So more and more christians cave into the pressure just because they either feel scared to disagree or they buy into whatever is being told to them such as "Science can prove LGBT is normal so therefor you must accept it!".

Again, we all have things we may have given into from time to time. And for some they stop giving in and change back. For example someone who loves beer may give into pressure and start getting drunk all the time. But they may later realize what they are doing and stop giving in and don't drink to get drunk.

We have free will to give into LGBT, but as christians we should not. Even if you get hated for not giving in, its ok because He said we would be hated for Him. I hope that helps you out.

Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I support not only same sex marriage, but also the LGBT community in general. Can I still be a Christian despite this?

Yes. But you do so in contradiction to God's direct and clear prohibition of this behaviour in His word. This would put you at odds with God, who is at the center of the Christian faith. It's a very peculiar thing to call yourself a Christian but openly and willfully defy the God Christians worship and serve.

I'm really conflicted here. I feel guilty, but I can't change how I feel.

Sinners often feel conflicted about doing what God commands them to do. They don't appreciate anyone telling them they can't do what they've come to accept as all right. But this is exactly what God does. He isn't susceptible to human trends of thought and behaviour; He doesn't bend to our view of right and wrong; He doesn't give a fig about how warmly we may feel toward any particular sin. As far as God is concerned, the passage of time has not made homosexuality any more acceptable. It was evil millenia ago and it is still evil today.

Ephesians 5:8-12
8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light
9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth),
10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.
12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Friend-of-Jesus

Jul 21, 2017
Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me start off by apologizing if I'm putting this in the wrong part of the forum. This is something that's been bothering me for a while and I'm hoping to get some opinions. I support not only same sex marriage, but also the LGBT community in general. Can I still be a Christian despite this? I know that something such as same sex marriage directly goes against what's in the Bible (marriage being between one man and one woman). I'm really conflicted here. I feel guilty, but I can't change how I feel. Thanks for reading.

I think it's impossible being a Christian and going against the word of God, which says that homosexuals are the worst of sinners who do not inherit the kingdom of God and deserve death by stoning.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would have to agree. I quoted the bible earlier on the issue. And I'm schizophrenic so I must say this also. In this modern world we seek to sciences and truth. The old world knew little of biology. Biology supports male with female. If there is something that should be supported with homosexuality then it should be that they have a disorder and should be treated humanly. Trying to change them might be impossible for them, or it might be a chosen practice, who's to say. We should of course discourage choosing homosexuality if you have the choice to make.

homosexuality had officially been listed as a mental disorder/illness in the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders before 1973 and by the world health organization in their manual "international classification of diseases" before 1990; the chinese society of psychiatry removed homosexuality from its chinese classification of mental disorders in 2001... - it has been removed from the classifications of disorders/diseases only because no one among the scientists/doctors/physicians/psychotherapists has managed to find an effective and affordable enough method of treating it and governments could not allocate funds for its treatment through the expensive methods

and even if homosexuality has never been considered a mental disorder/illness by humans, we know that God created the man and the woman so that there might be sexual relationships only between a man and a woman

Deuteronomy 22:5 "A woman shall not wear man's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing;"

we don't help sick people if we support the idea that they are not sick, or do you think that e.g. autistics will feel better if we tell everyone they are normal, and then many people treat them badly when seeing them behave strangely(associally)?!

and of course i don't judge the sick for being affected with diseases/illnesses through the lawlessness/wickedness of other people

i was also diagnosed as mentally ill when some people understood that i preach(ed) in the streets of the city(-ies) and heard me talking about God and spiritual things

Blessings

• Agree
Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
There are people that do indeed view autism as something more than a handicap or an illness. People that can contribute to society without having to deny who they are.

Most of us in mainline churches want to focus on the value and worth of every individual, including gay people. If this comes at the expense of traditionalist sensibilities concerning matters of purity or authority, well, there are some things that must be sacrificed to expand our vision for the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ultimately I think, "if you're not gay it's not really an issue you need to worry about that much".

But what if a person IS gay? Single, celibate, yet gay (i.e. having an inborn, not chosen, affection for someone of the same gender)

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
homosexuality had officially been listed as a mental disorder/illness in the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders before 1973 and by the world health organization in their manual "international classification of diseases" before 1990; the chinese society of psychiatry removed homosexuality from its chinese classification of mental disorders in 2001... - it has been removed from the classifications of disorders/diseases only because no one among the scientists/doctors/physicians/psychotherapists has managed to find an effective and affordable enough method of treating it and governments could not allocate funds for its treatment through the expensive methods

and even if homosexuality has never been considered a mental disorder/illness by humans, we know that God created the man and the woman so that there might be sexual relationships only between a man and a woman

Deuteronomy 22:5 "A woman shall not wear man's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing;"

we don't help sick people if we support the idea that they are not sick, or do you think that e.g. autistics will feel better if we tell everyone they are normal, and then many people treat them badly when seeing them behave strangely(associally)?!

and of course i don't judge the sick for being affected with diseases/illnesses through the lawlessness/wickedness of other people

i was also diagnosed as mentally ill when some people understood that i preach(ed) in the streets of the city(-ies) and heard me talking about God and spiritual things

Blessings

Well I'm schizophrenic and one time years ago I beat two people up, because I was delusional and paranoid and couldn't afford my meds for a couple years. Didn't have Obama care back then. And I was prosecuted as a normal person and sent to jail for 7 months. I probably should have been sent to a mental ward instead where I could have been treated for my illness. I see it as an injustice of the sick and afflicted to treat them as normal decision making people. But I'm on meds and haven't had any problems for a long time. Had I had medical care I wouldn't have got into trouble and the incident wouldn't have happened.

Hey maybe some day they'll have meds for homosexual's brain dysfunction or whatever it is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But, it's not THEM you're supporting. It's the spiritual wickedness that is living in and amongst them that you're supporting. So no, you cannot support both the Father, and gay marriage. Someone who is homosexual, isn't born that way. People sympathize with the spiritual oppression of homosexuality today based on the idea that people are born that way, and that they're victims to circumstance, which isn't so. This is something that people claim is backed by science, but so far, this has yet to be proven. Being born gay, was was an idea that those involved in the gay community started back in the 80's to make it so any words against homosexuality would be on the same level as talking against blacks - people quite literally born that way. It is something we need to support to an extent, but only in the sense that it's the person, and not the sin. We need to pray for them, so that יהוה (God) gives them eyes to see and ears to hear, so they can repent for their sins, as well as the sins of their fathers. It is something that they're born into, but because of spiritual wickedness. Supporting that spiritual wickedness, will not help them, nor you. But, praying for them, showing them the loving mercy of יהוה will help them realize what's happening, and fend it off with the love of Elohim. (Father, Son, and Spirit).

This attitude is supposed to attract homosexuals to your church? It won't, and you know it! Even in love, calling someone wicked and evil is not going to draw them to God's love. More than likely, it will turn them off from God altogether, so that when, at the end of their life, God IS calling them, they will feel so condemned by statements like that that they will reject His love.

What we are called to do is to LOVE people--even homosexuals--into God's kingdom, not HATE them away from the kingdom.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This attitude is supposed to attract homosexuals to your church? It won't, and you know it! Even in love, calling someone wicked and evil is not going to draw them to God's love. More than likely, it will turn them off from God altogether, so that when, at the end of their life, God IS calling them, they will feel so condemned by statements like that that they will reject His love.

What we are called to do is to LOVE people--even homosexuals--into God's kingdom, not HATE them away from the kingdom.

That seems assuming God hasn't created a relationship of Love with them by himself. I'm not sure man establishes relationships between God and man anyways. The holy spirit does I think.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is something that people claim is backed by science, but so far, this has yet to be proven.

Would any sane, rational person CHOOSE to be hated by God? Would they CHOOSE to make themselves the target of bigotry, hatred, and lacking the basic normal rights of "normal" people?

PROVE that there is NO SCIENTIFIC basis for homosexuality, preferably WITHOUT quoting scripture. When you have ALL of the scientific evidence that you are right, publish it as a paper in the New England Journal of Medicine or some other equally prestigious magazine, put it up for scientific review, and THEN you can make a religious argument.

And I AM a godly, Christian single, celibate man, living in community in a monastery.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,587.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you serve God or do you serve man? To show support to such a lifestyle would show, by your example, that you choose to serve man. To serve God would mean to say NO to this lifestyle because God has already said NO. The Bible is so clear about all this, it's a wonder why Christians are even asking this.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Greenleaf, I think you'ld be happier asking this in Whosoever Will, May Come, a section of the forum for liberal or progressive Christians.

Yes, you can be a Christian and accept gay marriage- there are about a half-dozen large churches in the US that do officially, to some degree, but many other Christians might not accept you. This just goes to show you can't please everybody, and there are some very emotionally charged issues, homosexuality being one of them. But as one of our favorite hymns in our church says, "all are welcome in this place". We aren't into shutting people out just because they don't live like everybody else. We believe in accompanying people where they are at in life without being quick to tell them how they aren't OK with God.

Reactions: Dwells
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Romans 1:21-32

But you seemed to miss some of the verses before that, which say,
19 "Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things."

This is more about idol worship than sex. And it is BECAUSE they were worshiping idols, “Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:”

Now the questioner asks, have YOU ever had an idol in your life? Worshiping mammon, or cars, or civil liberties, or the "right" spouse, or the "right" church? Maybe looking for the best job, car, piece of jewelry, bank account, food, drink, children, etc? Why, then, because YOU have had such an idol in your life, why are you not homosexual?

Could it be that it is NOT a choice?

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One thing I've been thinking of recently is how you do not marry in Heaven. So sex won't even exist in Heaven!?? I can't wrap my head around that, but I have to say that a part of me MIGHT understand why, I would find it hard not to lust in Heaven if we all had glorified (gorgeous) bodies, which means gorgeous women would be everywhere. So will there be things that are better than sex, yet innocent?? Anyway, I find it interesting about the no marriage in Heaven thing. The gay issue is such a hot topic, but Hmm...will there be no gay OR straight in Heaven? Is gender attraction totally obsolete in Heaven? Feel free to comment anyone because I'd like to better understand that. Maybe sexual lust simply must not exist in in any facet in Heaven because it can not be tamed 100%?

Sex is only for this world, and this age. When in heaven, just standing before the Throne of God will be the greatest "high" you will have ever felt.

• Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sorry but yes, I got sucked into something else! :) I'm not going to change! I'm all God's fault! I was actually born this way! I adore females! He made me like this! I can't help myself! Don't blame me! Blame Him!

Okay, if it is God's fault that you were born this way, to adore them, etc, then is it not a possibility that God has made others some other way?

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Would any sane, rational person CHOOSE to be hated by God? Would they CHOOSE to make themselves the target of bigotry, hatred, and lacking the basic normal rights of "normal" people?

PROVE that there is NO SCIENTIFIC basis for homosexuality, preferably WITHOUT quoting scripture. When you have ALL of the scientific evidence that you are right, publish it as a paper in the New England Journal of Medicine or some other equally prestigious magazine, put it up for scientific review, and THEN you can make a religious argument.

And I AM a godly, Christian single, celibate man, living in community in a monastery.
The fact that they've tried and still are trying to prove it scientifically, but have failed to do so thus far...that's muy basis for reasoning that it's not scientifically proven...because it's literally not scientifically proven.

How can you call yourself a follower of יהוה, if despite Him literally telling us that homosexuality is Him giving us over to reprobate minds you still defend it? It's us choosing our passions over Him, and Him giving us up. The absence of Him, is how Satan takes hold. Not to mention, read the verse I linked. Its a chain of events that happens. The US, an consequently the whole modern world has walked that exact path He describes right there in the scripture. Don't call yourself a believer in Him if you're not going to use His word as a legitimate form of arriving at a conclusion to something. Science is after all only the foolishness of the world.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh? How do the convoluted laws of the IRS legislate morality?

Do you feel charitable to causes that you may or may not support?
Free breakfast and lunch for inner city kids?
Support of roads?
Support for Military? (50% or more of your taxes.)
Support for schools?
Should this be voluntary or mandatory?

Laws hash this all out.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Greenleaf, I think you'ld be happier asking this in Whosoever Will, May Come, a section of the forum for liberal or progressive Christians.

Yes, you can be a Christian and accept gay marriage- there are about a half-dozen large churches in the US that do officially, to some degree, but many other Christians might not accept you. This just goes to show you can't please everybody, and there are some very emotionally charged issues, homosexuality being one of them. But as one of our favorite hymns in our church says, "all are welcome in this place". We aren't into shutting people out just because they don't live like everybody else. We believe in accompanying people where they are at in life without being quick to tell them how they aren't OK with God.

Odd that even in scripture it seems more emotional than anything else.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.