Is it okay to be a Christian and support same sex marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenleaf62

Aug 19, 2017
Concord
✟8,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let me start off by apologizing if I'm putting this in the wrong part of the forum. This is something that's been bothering me for a while and I'm hoping to get some opinions. I support not only same sex marriage, but also the LGBT community in general. Can I still be a Christian despite this? I know that something such as same sex marriage directly goes against what's in the Bible (marriage being between one man and one woman). I'm really conflicted here. I feel guilty, but I can't change how I feel. Thanks for reading.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me start off by apologizing if I'm putting this in the wrong part of the forum. This is something that's been bothering me for a while and I'm hoping to get some opinions. I support not only same sex marriage, but also the LGBT community in general. Can I still be a Christian despite this? I know that something such as same sex marriage directly goes against what's in the Bible (marriage being between one man and one woman). I'm really conflicted here. I feel guilty, but I can't change how I feel. Thanks for reading.

I think you may be voicing what a number of Christians your age may be feeling on this issue. The answer to your specific question is yes, you can be a Christian and support those things. But the real question is should you. And the answer to that question would be no, you should not. It is a sin that our Lord despises because it is a demonic perversion of the what He intended sex to reflect. And it is leading countless souls to Hell for eternity, whether they "believe" this or not.

But welcome to CF, and yes, you posted this in the right place. :wave:

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While I disagree with your stance on this issue, as far as I am aware being a Christian is predicated on faith in Christ Jesus alone for salvation and sanctification.

But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Romans 10)

Shalom shabat Greenleaf62

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't really talk about 'Refraining from being gay' because I can't relate. You might find this woman interesting, I heard her speak several years ago...

One thing I've been thinking of recently is how you do not marry in Heaven. So sex won't even exist in Heaven!?? I can't wrap my head around that, but I have to say that a part of me MIGHT understand why, I would find it hard not to lust in Heaven if we all had glorified (gorgeous) bodies, which means gorgeous women would be everywhere. So will there be things that are better than sex, yet innocent?? Anyway, I find it interesting about the no marriage in Heaven thing. The gay issue is such a hot topic, but Hmm...will there be no gay OR straight in Heaven? Is gender attraction totally obsolete in Heaven? Feel free to comment anyone because I'd like to better understand that. Maybe sexual lust simply must not exist in in any facet in Heaven because it can not be tamed 100%?

Upvote 0

Jenny_8675309

We tried to warn you...
Aug 13, 2017
Hampton
✟22,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you believe that you can be a Christian and support the personal liberty of people with different beliefs to make their own decisions, then sure you can support same sex marriage.

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's too much scripture talking about why it's not alright for these things to happen, let alone to support them. I know you feel you're being kind, and are helping them, and are supporting them.

But, it's not THEM you're supporting. It's the spiritual wickedness that is living in and amongst them that you're supporting. So no, you cannot support both the Father, and gay marriage. Someone who is homosexual, isn't born that way. People sympathize with the spiritual oppression of homosexuality today based on the idea that people are born that way, and that they're victims to circumstance, which isn't so. This is something that people claim is backed by science, but so far, this has yet to be proven. Being born gay, was was an idea that those involved in the gay community started back in the 80's to make it so any words against homosexuality would be on the same level as talking against blacks - people quite literally born that way. It is something we need to support to an extent, but only in the sense that it's the person, and not the sin. We need to pray for them, so that יהוה (God) gives them eyes to see and ears to hear, so they can repent for their sins, as well as the sins of their fathers. It is something that they're born into, but because of spiritual wickedness. Supporting that spiritual wickedness, will not help them, nor you. But, praying for them, showing them the loving mercy of יהוה will help them realize what's happening, and fend it off with the love of Elohim. (Father, Son, and Spirit).

Romans 1:21-32

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

It's not something you should support, but you should love the person. Be their light, and lead them from the rocks, to the golden shore that is the salvation of Elohim.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I support not only same sex marriage, but also the LGBT community in general. Can I still be a Christian despite this?
You could probably find some Christian denom. which would support that belief. Very liberal minded. I used to think such "broad-minded" thinking was cool but recently I feel very conflicted about the whole gay issue. I mean Jesus would probably hang out with those on the fringe of society like gays. Personally I disagree with gay marriage but that doesn't mean I don't suffer pangs of guilt for having that stance. Who knows. Maybe one day, we Christians will be in the minority on this. If we aren't already. I feel sorry for people who are genuinely attracted to their own sex. it presents so many problems.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally I disagree with gay marriage but that doesn't mean I don't suffer pangs of guilt for having that stance. Who knows. Maybe one day, we Christians will be in the minority on this. If we aren't already. I feel sorry for people who are genuinely attracted to their own sex. it presents so many problems.
I know where you are coming from. It's hard when you feel sorry for someone's situation but you know that it is against God's will.
So I can say I don't support same-sex unions but I can be kind and caring.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There's too much scripture talking about why it's not alright for these things to happen, let alone to support them. I know you feel you're being kind, and are helping them, and are supporting them.

But, it's not THEM you're supporting. It's the spiritual wickedness that is living in and amongst them that you're supporting. So no, you cannot support both the Father, and gay marriage. Someone who is homosexual, isn't born that way. People sympathize with the spiritual oppression of homosexuality today based on the idea that people are born that way, and that they're victims to circumstance, which isn't so. This is something that people claim is backed by science, but so far, this has yet to be proven. Being born gay, was was an idea that those involved in the gay community started back in the 80's to make it so any words against homosexuality would be on the same level as talking against blacks - people quite literally born that way. It is something we need to support to an extent, but only in the sense that it's the person, and not the sin. We need to pray for them, so that יהוה (God) gives them eyes to see and ears to hear, so they can repent for their sins, as well as the sins of their fathers. It is something that they're born into, but because of spiritual wickedness. Supporting that spiritual wickedness, will not help them, nor you. But, praying for them, showing them the loving mercy of יהוה will help them realize what's happening, and fend it off with the love of Elohim. (Father, Son, and Spirit).

Romans 1:21-32

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

It's not something you should support, but you should love the person. Be their light, and lead them from the rocks, to the golden shore that is the salvation of Elohim.
There is hope, Hallelujah!

Reactions: smm
Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I don't care! If marriage is a civil matter: what business is that of mine! Marriage in Scripture is never going to change! And also, will NEVER include them!

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't really talk about 'Refraining from being gay' because I can't relate. You might find this woman interesting, I heard her speak several years ago...

One thing I've been thinking of recently is how you do not marry in Heaven. So sex won't even exist in Heaven!?? I can't wrap my head around that, but I have to say that a part of me MIGHT understand why, I would find it hard not to lust in Heaven if we all had glorified (gorgeous) bodies, which means gorgeous women would be everywhere. So will there be things that are better than sex, yet innocent?? Anyway, I find it interesting about the no marriage in Heaven thing. The gay issue is such a hot topic, but Hmm...will there be no gay OR straight in Heaven? Is gender attraction totally obsolete in Heaven? Feel free to comment anyone because I'd like to better understand that. Maybe sexual lust simply must not exist in in any facet in Heaven because it can not be tamed 100%?
Do not confuse "sexual' with lust! They are two very different extremes!

Being a male, 'sexuality' is the art of seeking the very righteousness of God in the act of pleasing and pleasuring her. That is not a selfless act and is therefore, NOT lust!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You should always, in all things, support your
neighbors and build them up. Do this just as
you would wish them to support you and honor
your choice in who you spend your time with.

Other people should not interfere with who
you associate with.

What Does the Bible Say About Loving Your Neighbor? - OpenBible.info

Leviticus 19:18
'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.

Mark 12:31
"The second is this, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

Romans 13:10
Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Romans 15:2
“Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, leading to edification”

Galatians 5:14
For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

James 2:8
If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF," you are doing well.

Matthew 22:34-39
But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together. One of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?"

Exodus 23:4-5
"If you meet your enemy's ox or his donkey wandering away, you shall surely return it to him. "If you see the donkey of one who hates you lying helpless under its load, you shall refrain from leaving it to him, you shall surely release it with him.

Leviticus 19:13
'You shall not oppress your neighbor, nor rob him The wages of a hired man are not to remain with you all night until morning.

Ephesians 4:32
Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

Last edited:
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm an old straight guy who thinks old straight guys should be concerned about old straight guy sins. Therefore I don't fret too much over what gay sins might be. But, I'll say this. I think there is a difference between a moral stance and a legal stance. I think one can hold a Christian moral stance viewing behavior as immoral or "sin" while not championing it being made "illegal." A moral stance means I think it's wrong so I am not going to do it. A legal stance is one step beyond that in my opinion.

As an American, I value living in a free society. I oppose government over-reach, including legislating morality. If governments legislate morality, it begs the question, "whose morality?" Of course, we'd all be peachy if the government legislated Christian morality. Would we be as happy if the predominant religion in our country became Muslim and the government started legislating Muslim morality?

Civil marriage is a legal contract between two people. I don't see why all citizens shouldn't have the same rights. But, that doesn't mean I condone their acts. There is, after all, that American thing that all men are created equal with certain inalienable rights like life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Do we mean it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Always, always, do what you think is right regarding LGBT issues.
Never stray from what you think is right.

New International Version
If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.

New Living Translation
Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.

English Standard Version
So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

Berean Study Bible
Therefore, whoever knows the right thing to do, yet fails to do it, is guilty of sin.

Berean Literal Bible
Therefore to the one knowing to do good, and not doing, it is sin.

New American Standard Bible
Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

King James Bible
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Upvote 0

Faith Alone 1 Cor 15:1-4

Aug 2, 2017
Heaven
✟12,836.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yea you can be , but should you be ? No
Same as you can be murderer and be christian , but should you murder ? No

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry but yes, I got sucked into something else! :) I'm not going to change! I'm all God's fault! I was actually born this way! I adore females! He made me like this! I can't help myself! Don't blame me! Blame Him!

I don't understand what you're trying to say

Sarcasm-sarcasm-6146934-270-270.jpg

Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

Several denominations in the US either support same-sex marriage or leave it to the individual's conscience. Those include the United Church of Christ, the Presbyterian Church - USA, the Episcopal Church, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Smaller churches like the Moravians, the American Baptist convention, and some Mennonite groups have similar stances.

The biblical hermeneutics we use vary and this is one of the reasons there is divisions among Christians in how we approach this issue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.