Is it okay for me to be playing video games containing magic?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Okay so, before I became a Christian several years ago I used to play games like Diablo and World of Warcraft and the Elder Scrolls. I also used to like anime containing lots of sex references, the raunchier the better. Once I became a Christian I tried to lean off of those games and anime because of the content. Now, several years later I'm starting to miss the things I used to enjoy. I'm starting to think that it's okay to do these things because I'm not really practicing magic which is what was forbidden in the bible and if a TV show doesn't cause me to lust what's the harm in it? But, I also want to please my God and do things pleasing to God and I want to live a holy life so, I'm starting to think that I'd be better off not doing these things and sticking to anime that doesn't have sex or magic in it. I mean, am I just being too judgy by not doing these things and telling my wife not to do them either? Or is it really okay to do these things? The bible does say that everything we do should be to glorify God and to remain pure so, I don't know... I hate myself for even wanting to get back into my old habits, my old habits are supposed to be crucified and I'm supposed to be living a new life.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If we delve indirectly into the occult then we are inviting occult influences into your mind and into our life.
First century Christians burned their books on magic. Sorcerers are included as those who are not permitted to gain eternal life in Revelation. So if we find such things entertaining,-then we are treating behavior which causes those people to lose their lives as trivial. Would we do the same with depictions of adultery, murder, theft, lying? Then why should we make an exception with the occult which leads to death as well?

Acts 19:19

Revelation 21:8

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
Okay, there's a HUGE difference between, say, a palm reader or clairvoyant, and slight of hand (skillful) magic 'tricks' and World of Warcraft. I also know several Anime fans who are Christian - many of those post on this very forum.

Being Christian isn't about following cookie cutter rules on lifestyle and etiquette, and if anybody tells you differently then they're trying to indoctrinate you by shame - that is something I see far too often on here, so beware. (Those same people are also going to warn you about people like me too, but remember I'm just talking common sense.)

Also, about this:

"The bible does say that everything we do should be to glorify God and to remain pure so, I don't know... I hate myself for even wanting to get back into my old habits, my old habits are supposed to be crucified and I'm supposed to be living a new life."

I'm pretty sure that God doesn't exist within space time. So The crucifixion is always NOW. So everything you've done, are doing, and are going to do has already been bought by Jesus. The fact that we're fallible and sinful still applies and always will. So it's not about aiming for perfection, it's about recognising God, communicating with God, realising who Jesus is and what He does for us, and accepting our imperfections and embracing Jesus' perfections.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay so, before I became a Christian several years ago I used to play games like Diablo and World of Warcraft and the Elder Scrolls. I also used to like anime containing lots of sex references, the raunchier the better. Once I became a Christian I tried to lean off of those games and anime because of the content. Now, several years later I'm starting to miss the things I used to enjoy.

When you became a Christian, did you merely stop doing the old things for your own flesh, or did you also start doing new things for the Body of Christ?

You can't just stop doing old things--that doesn't work because the flesh cannot defeat the flesh. You have to replace them with new things of Christ.

If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, “Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!” (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)—in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?

These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.
-- Colossians 2

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
People who have delved into occult oriented games for the fun of it have suffered certain unwanted intrusions into their minds and their lives by evil spirits which seem to feel invited by the activity. So no cookie-cutter attempts are intended here. Just striving to be informative. What anyone chooses to do after being informed is entirely up to them.

Occultic Games

When you hear the word "game," you probably think of something that is fun, harmless, entertaining, or even educational. But what if the content of the game is from the realm of the occult, or what if the game is not really a game at all? Can a game be dangerous? This article will evaluate various popular games in light of their occult connections and from a biblical perspective.

...A Christian needs to be prudent in selecting games, examining the contents carefully, and checking to see if a particular unbiblical philosophy or worldview is being presented through the game. Games which highlight or require occult activities such as sorcery, psychic powers, or divination, or games which use a lot of occult terms or are teaching occult world views should be avoided.

We need to remember 2 Corinthians 11:14, which tells us that Satan masquerades as an angel of light. An occult game's appearance as harmless fun is part of its appeal and its deception. Let us, therefore, be discerning!

https://www.namb.net/apologetics/occultic-games?pageid=8589952997

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If anything causes you to sin, it's generally a bad idea. I tend to not be drawn to games with strong sexual content, and just the name Diablo, has evidently turned me off to that one. I got one of the Diablo games years ago as a gift, and played it, had a blast, and I don't see how it could have made me sin at all, but still, I've passed on others since. I tried WOW but lost interest fast. I think a lot of that is I'm not into the online play, more time than I want to put into gaming.

I'm playing Elder Scrolls now, with the magic and all, but in reality, it's all just an illusion on a monitor and an opportunity to compete at something, nothing more for me.

There are those who condemn it completely, but when I see that, I often think I'd like to peek in and see what their sin is. Not that that would make anything ok to do if others do worse, it's just that people can get awfully puffed up about things they just don't happen to like, however, with the things they like, they forget they could be doing much worse. Also, when they personally had addiction issues or whatever with something, making it sin for them, but not for you, some of those can tend to condemn it for everyone.

I find it relaxing, sometimes just a time killer or maybe just getting our minds off life for a time, can be helpful. It can be like reading an adventure book, but interactive, but I'm sure a lot of book readers might condemn it.

Is it OK for you? only you can say, but what you did by stopping all for a time, then reconsidering was a good idea. I think many do that same thing with many things, and it doesn't necessarily mean we are going back to sinning, it's just that we are now more confident with what is what, and able to make better decisions on some things. Also, what you are doing here is a good idea to help you decide. Again the main thing is, does it make us sin? If so, and we can fix that and still do it, fine, if not, don't let the pleasure of winning the small competitions, get in the way of winning the big prize....not worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blindspot6
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends:

No - It's not sin in as much as we live in a sinful world and entertainment doesn't by default equal to sin (though it can often breed sin if we're not careful). Consider Lord of the Rings, which includes lots of magic, that was created by a devout Catholic. Likewise, Narnia, created by another serious Christian theologian. Now, these are both stories that points to Jesus, but it goes to show that the subject in itself isn't evil, providing it doesn't stir up evil.
I think there is a big difference between diving into the occult and playing a game or watching tv. In doing magic you are active, and you call upon evil forces. However, with games, tv and movies you are passive (I realize games are interactive, but it's not the same as calling upon evil)
Ultimately, it's a bit like money. You can use it for good or you can use it for evil - you can use it in a way that you don't become a slave to it. But all of this is snowballing into questions like "how much can I enjoy things in life?", which I won't tackle at this point.

Yes - However, if you consider playing games with magic to be a sin - if you feel a strong pull against it - then I believe it is sin to you. Romans 14 gives us some insight into this.

Reactions: Blindspot6
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Okay so, before I became a Christian several years ago I used to play games like Diablo and World of Warcraft and the Elder Scrolls. I also used to like anime containing lots of sex references, the raunchier the better. Once I became a Christian I tried to lean off of those games and anime because of the content. Now, several years later I'm starting to miss the things I used to enjoy. I'm starting to think that it's okay to do these things because I'm not really practicing magic which is what was forbidden in the bible and if a TV show doesn't cause me to lust what's the harm in it? But, I also want to please my God and do things pleasing to God and I want to live a holy life so, I'm starting to think that I'd be better off not doing these things and sticking to anime that doesn't have sex or magic in it. I mean, am I just being too judgy by not doing these things and telling my wife not to do them either? Or is it really okay to do these things? The bible does say that everything we do should be to glorify God and to remain pure so, I don't know... I hate myself for even wanting to get back into my old habits, my old habits are supposed to be crucified and I'm supposed to be living a new life.

Here is an artice which covers the subject.

Occultic Games
https://www.namb.net/apologetics/occultic-games?pageid=8589952997

Girls Suffer Demonic Attack after playing game:

This is the chilling moment 22 schoolgirls - aged between 12 and 15 - 'suffered mass demonic possession' after playing a game of 'Charlie Charlie'. The video footage shows the children screaming, writhing and hallucinating - and some were even foaming at the mouth.
One victim claimed she could see a 'man dressed in black' while possessed - and locals are praying against witchcraft as authorities warn against playing the game. The traumatic incident happened on Saturday in the Choco region of Colombia which borders with Panama.

The girls were taken to a hospital where their vital signs returned to normal. The local mayor Deyler Camacho spoke to villagers following the incident and called for calm. A pastor is praying against witchcraft.
http://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2016/07/22-colombian-school-girls-suffers-mass.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
When you became a Christian, did you merely stop doing the old things for your own flesh, or did you also start doing new things for the Body of Christ?

You can't just stop doing old things--that doesn't work because the flesh cannot defeat the flesh. You have to replace them with new things of Christ.

If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, “Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!” (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)—in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?

These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.
-- Colossians 2

Mostly of the flesh. I wanted to remove things from my life that the bible says were sin which is what started this in the first place.

I wanted to get rid of my sinful life in exchange for a more godly one like the bible says to do. I wanted to do more and more things for God instead of for myself. I've been trying to do more things of christ too like spreading the gospel to friends and I've been giving to charity.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
unless i'm mistaken you'll probably get lots of replies saying that it's ok.
I don't agree with that.

Let's take Saul of Tarsus as an example.
He was the one who stood by and held the cloaks of those men who stoned Stephen--the first martyr.

did Saul throw a stone himself and get in on the act? no.
but he was still complicit; he held the cloaks and watched what was happening; not saying a thing against it.
He was just as guilty as if he had thrown a stone.

it's the same thing with your games.
you can sit there and watch other characters doing things that you yourself would not do, but it's still complicit.

Let's face it--sin is fun at first; otherwise there'd be no temptation, would there?
but the problem with just watching is two fold;
1. there is nothing to guard against you're consuming all the harmful action that is happening before you.
2. there's also no way to rid your memory from what you've seen.

It's in there until you ask God to take the memory of it away from you.
until then it will always be on instant recall, courtesy of satan--the accuser of the bretheren--who dearly loves to remind us of all that we've participated in, and all the tempting things we've ever given up.

So the answer here is to also repudiate the memories. Give those to God too, say sorry, and ask for His help in eradicating them.

Then put something better in their place. Whenever you give something up, always put something better in it's place--never leave that space empty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it's the same thing with your games.
you can sit there and watch other characters doing things that you yourself would not do, but it's still complicit.

The big difference, unlike Saul they aren't doing anything, nothing at all. It's nothing more than an image on a screen. I could attack one hand with the other and kill it as a shadow puppet show and that would be more real than a video game. No one is hurting anyone and no one is watching anyone hurt anyone. Surely something to consider.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Neophyte365
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's a good question, but it cannot be answered in this forum, because it depends on how the games and anime affects you and others, as well as God's personal will for you (the only One who knows how they actually affect you and others). People suggest abstinence because it is a good goal to have, and it sounds good, but there are scenarios where bad consequences can also show up (e.g., legalism).

The way you are examining the issue is great, but there are more subtle effects of them than you are considering. For example, whatever goes into your eyes stays in your head forever. At a later date and time when you are under pressure, is it possible for what you saw to make your temptation or struggle more difficult, keep you a little more deceived, or keep you a little more biased than you otherwise would have been? Another example is, will it affect how much you enjoy certain people's company?

Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.” (1 Corinthians 15:33, 1984 NIV)

A practical solution is to abstain as best you can and devote yourself to God fully. Through such devotion, you will eventually know his will for you without having to wrestle with the question. If you were to handle all questionable things this way, you would find God eventually connecting you to some comfortable and/or familiar things.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A practical solution is to abstain as best you can and devote yourself to God fully.

I was expecting that eventually and thank you for bringing it up.

The question would be, and this applies to anything not just gaming...who does that "fully"? Not me I can assure you, and I'd question anyone who said they did. and if we do not, it's a moot point for this or any subject. The best we can, could mean we could be right on top of it 100% of the time, and I know some will be outraged at this but, that's probably not healthy spiritually...could even turn some against God.

We are allowed to have a life, God is not selfish in that respect. He basically asks for one day a week to be totally devoted to him, other wise, just stick with the basics. If we choose to go that extra mile or miles, great, but I actually believe he realizes too much of anything can be harmful. Though I may take a break from Gods work, I never take a break from God.

As you say, it's an individual decision, but those are just some more things I think need considered.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...who does that "fully"?
It can be frightening to consider how much of a change in one's life God could be requiring. But, yes, there are people who are devoted to God fully, 24x7 (e.g., See 1 Thessalonians 5:17).

I can't say that's what God wants for any particular person right now, though. It is possible he is 100% pleased with you already. How would I know? God knows your background, circumstances, limitations, and what your calling is and will be.

However, it is we who benefit from drawing closer to God. Scripture is full of statements and examples of this. People who have experienced this often want to devote themselves more fully, and at least will find it easier to devote themselves more fully. Other people are in such a bad place that they are devoted to God like it's an emergency.

And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. (1 John 4:16-17, 1984 NIV)

God loves us no matter what we are like, because the love he has is inside Him. People feel they want to be loved more, but actually, what they need is more of God's love in their own heart, for which a symptom is loving others more (which can come in part through being loved).

Here is one picture of fulfilling the first and greatest commandment (Matthew 22:37-40):

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. (Deuteronomy 6:5-9, 1984 NIV)

Do you want to have a life with a quantity of blessings like God describes in Deuteronomy 28:1-14? Sometimes it is trusting God like that that helps us focus on what is best for ourselves in the long-term.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The big difference, unlike Saul they aren't doing anything, nothing at all. It's nothing more than an image on a screen. I could attack one hand with the other and kill it as a shadow puppet show and that would be more real than a video game. No one is hurting anyone and no one is watching anyone hurt anyone. Surely something to consider.

Morality is not a matter of what you're doing with your hands, but what you're doing with your head. Jesus made that clear.

So ordinary video game sex and violence puts it at the level of inappropriate contentography, then.

But what of multi-player games when that image on the screen is representing another living person who vicariously experiences what's being done to him (particularly in virtual reality) as much as the person doing it? Does that change the moral aspect?

What about when progress bring us (in probably not long) a "Westworld" situation where we have human-like artificial beings.

Does it change if the images and artifacts are children? If someone is using video games to simulate sex and violence against children, what do we think of his morality?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are allowed to have a life, God is not selfish in that respect. He basically asks for one day a week to be totally devoted to him, other wise, just stick with the basics. If we choose to go that extra mile or miles, great, but I actually believe he realizes too much of anything can be harmful. Though I may take a break from Gods work, I never take a break from God.

Nope. God requires everything.

For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.

I've only recently discovered that the koine Greek for "whoever loses his life for me" actually says, "whoever destroys his life for me." It's supposed to be a positive act of getting rid of the old life.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
Nope. God requires everything.

Isn't that what His son is for?

We're fallible humans, we're GOING to fall short. The best thing we can do is aim for consistency. It's far more important to remain a Christian year after year, decade after decade, than it is to go through short an intense bursts of driving for perfection. One will cause burn out (and I see it all the time) the other will keep you on the right road.

Humans were never meant to have it all.

• Agree
Reactions: Te're'sa
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Short answer NO. Its not OK.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is what happened in the books of acts.

The Sons of Sceva

13Now there were some itinerant Jewish exorcists who tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those with evil spirits. They would say, “I bind you by Jesus, whom Paul proclaims.” 14Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 15Eventually, one of the evil spirits answered them, “Jesus I know, and I know about Paul, but you, who are you?” 16Then the man with the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all. The attack was so violent that they ran out of the house, naked and wounded.

17This became known to all the Jews and Greeks living in Ephesus, and fear came over all of them. So the name of the Lord Jesus was held in high honor. 18Many who had believed now came forward, confessing and disclosing their deeds. 19And a number of those who had practiced magic arts brought their books and burned them in front of everyone. When the value of the books was calculated, it came to fifty thousand drachmas.b 20So the word of the Lord powerfully continued to spread and prevail.

Upvote 0