Is it ok to write poetry that's dark and depressing?

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been writing poetry several times a week for the past month or two about my feelings with my walk with God and life in general. But I've been going through a really hard time so the Poetry is really dark and depressing. I'm just expressing how I feel. Is that okay? Is that healthy do you think? Here's an example of a poem I wrote today:

Poem 14
9-9-18
Mood: confusion, frustration, slight improvement in life

When will it end? This confusion and terror?
Will I ever see freedom?
I feel like I have been drowning for so long...
I can't look anyone in the eyes because I'm so ashamed.
Why am I going through this? Why am I this confused? I am supposed to be at peace.
It feels like things might be improving, but how much longer until I am free? Why am I this isolated? Oh what a Wretched man I am!

What does that poem sound like to you?​

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've been writing poetry several times a week for the past month or two about my feelings with my walk with God and life in general. But I've been going through a really hard time so the Poetry is really dark and depressing. I'm just expressing how I feel. Is that okay? Is that healthy do you think? Here's an example of a poem I wrote today:

Poem 14
9-9-18

Will I ever see freedom?
Why am I going through this? Why am I this confused? I am supposed to be at peace.
It feels like things might be improving, but how much longer until I am free? Why am I this isolated? Oh what a Wretched man I am!

As I read it, you're going through a difficult time but you have hope. I personally don't see anything wrong with it. Hold on to the hope.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Darkness & depression are facts of life; art is a great way to channel these negative feelings into something beautiful.

And if you're worried about it not being a good thing, read through the Psalms; there's a lot of praise, but a lot of despair in there, too.

As far as this poem specifically, I'd say it sounds like the Confessional is a good place to go! I can't describe the healing I've felt through this sacrament; it's fantastic what happens in that little room.

God be with you.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing wrong with it. There are psalms that do the exact same thing (which can be very affirming to read, as might the book of Job). Btw, John of the cross' Dark Night of the Soul is poetry, so you might like reading it, too. (I've never read it.)

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Poem 14
9-9-18

Will I ever see freedom?

As one who has went thru darkness and depression; I have found out that it's all in what you want to dwell in; the darkness of your depression; or the light of God through Jesus Christ His Son.

I have been looking at what darkness and light are this very morning; and came upon this:

Question:
Can darkness and light coexist?
Answer:
Since darkness is connotatively defined as a lack of visible light, one can set a theoretical maximum to the level of darkness. A place where there is absolutely no light is at the maximum level of dark. However, it does not work the other way. There is no maximum level of light. No matter how much light is in a location, more can always be added.

To me this is like Jesus and depression.
If you are; if it could be possible; to be maximum depressed; there would be no light coming from the Son of God.

but as soon as you turn away from the dark (your depression) you are in the light; and the more you turn to the light (Jesus) the brighter you get. How do you turn to the light? (Jesus) by dwelling on things of the light (Jesus)

Philippians 4:8-9 tells us to dwell on the good and pure; etc. if we want the God of peace (Jesus) to be with us;

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

That passage is like poetry.

So if you turn to the light with your poetry and away from the dark; the depression will leave; because where there is light there can't be darkness.

Maybe you will have to force yourself to write uplifting things at first; but the more you do the lighter your depression will get. Maybe write a love poem to Jesus.

I don't write poetry; but love good uplifting praise songs.
Song lyrics can be poetry; set to music; and if I listen to depressing songs; even if the music sounds good; I will get depressed after awhile;
but if I listen to music that praises our lord Jesus; I can't help myself.:)

I'm not as depressed and eventually will start to sing along with the song and depression (darkness) has no place then. :)

Only Jesus; as the Lord dwells in the praises of his people.:)

Upvote 0
May 3, 2015
Greece
✟15,386.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I've been through a couple of serious mental health crises in my life. In fact, my most recent one landed me in an intensive care unit of a psychiatric hospital. But for the grace of God I would have been broken completely by it, but he was waiting for me on the other side and I can honestly say I am utterly at peace with who and what I am now.

While I was inside I started writing poetry again, some of it erring on the dark side. I'm also a big rock/metal fan and much of it touches on dark, depressing things. And that's OK! I believe that in order to understand the light, you must first understand the darkness. Once you understand that, you can really appreciate the grace of our Lord and the love of our saviour.

Explore your dark feelings, what causes them and pray for God to vanquish your demons. You'll find that eventually you can control them and not allow them to control you. I've a few dark poems in the past few weeks for example despite feeling happy.

God bless!

Reactions: WilliamBo
Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Poem 14
9-9-18

Will I ever see freedom?

For whatever reason, your poem reminded me of Yoda.

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."
"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will."
"No! Try not! Do or do not, there is no try."
"When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not."

Hope things start looking up for you, friend. Seriously, keep trusting in Jesus and asking Him to provide. Don't be afraid to step out in faith, once you have been praying.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Poem 14
9-9-18

Will I ever see freedom?

Hi WilliamBro - I say amen to Morian's post. Long ago before I came to Christ afriend of mine said I should 'be a writer' because I was good with words. My response was that I didn,t want to add to all the sadness that was already out there.
There is of course a place for sadness and descriptions of darkness in poetry but the question should always be - what am I communicating?and why am I communicating it?
I'm on a tablet , away from home so I'll leave it at that for now.
Go well, write the best you can for God's glory. afish

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all very much for your wonderful responses, that quote about Yoda kind of scared me, it made me realize how I've been so focused on Darkness for so long and I'm reaping what I have sown. I just wrote 2 poems after reading these responses:

Poem 15
9-9-18
Mood: Eating with my mom at home slice pizza, just read a suggestion on CF to write positive poetry instead of all this depressing poetry. Feeling scared around people, scared to talk to police in the restaurant because of social anxiety and insecurity. Going to try and write positive poems for God:

"Thank you God, for setting me free. You have set my soul free from the corruption it once had.

Now I can see, now life makes sense. I now know how to navigate through life with God.

I truly am going from glory to glory.
Amen"

Poem 16
9-11-18----- 5:31 am (working)
Mood: Feeling like God is bringing me to another degree of glory and healing, but still struggling badly

"I will choose to be positive, because God is positive.
Praise God for His truth... He is setting me free, despite me reaping what I have sown.

I will not choose to focus on my darkness any longer. I believe God will make everything make sense soon.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you all very much for your wonderful responses, that quote about Yoda kind of scared me, it made me realize how I've been so focused on Darkness for so long and I'm reaping what I have sown.
Remember that quote's just Star Wars. Real life doesn't work exactly like that. Jesus is more powerful than any imaginary force.

But I do believe that 'if you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you', having been there and done that.

There is probably a place for dark writing, but do it in the context of the Light (from which everything else looks dark, anyway).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WilliamBo, the second post's first poem reminded me of a psalm, similiar to David's style. :thumbsup: It was beautifully written.

I think you should just come before God with full honesty. If you feel sad one day make this clear before Him, if you are feeling happy you lift Him up in praises. You can also still praise and thank Him when feeling sad too.

He wants you to come before Him with a sincere heart, and He knows what state you are in and what words you feel is necessary for you to be letting out before you do this! As long as your focus is set on Him.

I many times have started writing a poem in a sad state and then still turned it around into a poem which worships and praises God. As I will remind myself of His faithfulness, also keeping in mind He is my everlasting hope.

How you will write your poems is all up to you, yet, as long as your focus is set on God, then that's what's most important.

*Hugs from your sister in Christ *

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you very much for your responses. I wrote 2 today, I'm not feeling too good today:

Poem 17
9-12-18
Mood: angry, bitter torwards life

Why am I like this?
How can ceartain people live for God and righteousness so easily and I can't do it for one day?
Was I made like this? Why must I be stuck like this?
The fears of sheol plauge me, I am terrified that I am stuck like this. Will I live to a ripe old age?

I know Gods Word is true and it has brought me such great joy in times past.

Who can break this stubbornness? How can I truly be caring and loving? Why must I be so selfish?

I will continue to trust that God will set me free from the curse of self.

There is no other truth...

Poem 18
9-12-18
Mood: angry, downtrodden

Why am I addicted to this darkness?
Why are people going to hell?
Why was I even created when I only know this torment? It is obviously a long term problem.
Older men look at me with concern.
Why is this happening? What am I supposed to do?

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Darkness & depression are facts of life; art is a great way to channel these negative feelings into something beautiful.

And if you're worried about it not being a good thing, read through the Psalms; there's a lot of praise, but a lot of despair in there, too.

As far as this poem specifically, I'd say it sounds like the Confessional is a good place to go! I can't describe the healing I've felt through this sacrament; it's fantastic what happens in that little room.

God be with you.

This is such a good post.

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you very much for your responses. I wrote 2 today, I'm not feeling too good today:

Poem 17
9-12-18
Mood: angry, bitter torwards life

Why am I like this?
How can ceartain people live for God and righteousness so easily and I can't do it for one day?
Was I made like this? Why must I be stuck like this?
The fears of sheol plauge me, I am terrified that I am stuck like this. Will I live to a ripe old age?

I know Gods Word is true and it has brought me such great joy in times past.

Who can break this stubbornness? How can I truly be caring and loving? Why must I be so selfish?

I will continue to trust that God will set me free from the curse of self.

There is no other truth...

Poem 18
9-12-18
Mood: angry, downtrodden

Why am I addicted to this darkness?
Why are people going to hell?
Why was I even created when I only know this torment? It is obviously a long term problem.
Older men look at me with concern.
Why is this happening? What am I supposed to do?

I liked your first posted poem in here, and you can be sure of Jesus Christ will free you out. All in it's time, just keep on having your focus and trust in Him!

In the second poem it makes me wonder why older men are watching you with concern? It is also fine if you don't want to tell too.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the second poem it makes me wonder why older men are watching you with concern? It is also fine if you don't want to tell too.

Because my darkness is being exposed and it scares/disturbs people. I was isolated and depressed for many years and so my natural "mannerisms" are very often offensive to a normal, emotionally healthy person

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many of the Psalms are laments and express deep sorrow for the challenges and disappointments of God's chosen people, Israel, and as a group seeking God's blessings or intervention...

• Agree
Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many of the Psalms are laments and express deep sorrow for the challenges and disappointments of God's chosen people, Israel, and as a group seeking God's blessings or intervention...

Do you know of any where the psalmist is expressing the pain of his own failures? Instead of expressing the pain of being persecuted for righteousness sake?

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you know of any where the psalmist is expressing the pain of his own failures? Instead of expressing the pain of being persecuted for righteousness sake?

I see the Psalmist talking about the pain of his own failures in Psalms 32 3ff and Psalms 51

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's a couple more...

23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee:
thou hast holden me by my right hand.​
24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel,
and afterward receive me to glory.​
25 Whom have I in heaven but thee?
and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.​
26 My flesh and my heart faileth:
but God is the strength of my heart,
and my portion for ever.
Teth

Thou hast dealt well with thy servant,
O Lord, according unto thy word.​
66 Teach me good judgment and knowledge:
for I have believed thy commandments.​
67 Before I was afflicted I went astray:
but now have I kept thy word.​
68 Thou art good, and doest good;
teach me thy statutes.​
69 The proud have forged a lie against me:
but I will keep thy precepts with my whole heart.​
70 Their heart is as fat as grease;
but I delight in thy law.​
71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted;
that I might learn thy statutes.​
72 The law of thy mouth is better unto me
than thousands of gold and silver.

Upvote 0