Is it ok to try a church I may disagree with?

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would go there and I'm 68.
It would be easy to tell that I'm the old guy there.

We go for the solid sermon and communion.

Did you take communion today?

M-Bob

They didn't have Communion; which makes me think they aren't Reformed and just hold Calvinist views on election and free will. The solid sermon was very nice. The service itself was exactly what I'm looking for.
The average age was probably early to mid 20's. Reading their website again, I think they are specifically targeting the university students. And it is one of the few conservative churches in the downtown area where the university is.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They didn't have Communion; which makes me think they aren't Reformed and just hold Calvinist views on election and free will. The solid sermon was very nice. The service itself was exactly what I'm looking for.
The average age was probably early to mid 20's. Reading their website again, I think they are specifically targeting the university students. And it is one of the few conservative churches in the downtown area where the university is.

Usually the reformed churches we have been to do take communion each week although some alternate between morning service and evening service.

Do not be surprised if when the time comes they do not let you take communion in their Church. There are good reasons for this which they can explain to you.

I believe it's called protecting the table? Our church offers communion to anyone that is a member of a bible-believing church.

Churches should never offer communion to anybody that just walks in because not knowing it is definitely not meant for non-believers.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The absence of Holy Communion on any given Sunday isn't conclusive. Some denominations simply alternate Sundays or have once-a-month Communion. However, if this is intentionally a campus ministry and expects people of all sorts of denominational backgrounds and allegiances, it may just function a little differently from the usual congregation located elsewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: Amy Sanger
Upvote 0