Is it ok to try a church I may disagree with?

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm a baby Christian- just since December- although I had been Christian before and fell away so I know a little more of the theology and stuff then the average new believer might know.
I was going to a church, but transportation wise it's just becoming a pain. I have to leave 2 1/2 hours before service starts to get there, and then I have to wait 45 minutes after service to catch the bus home. I was offered rides a few times at this church but something always fell through. No big deal, maybe that's just not where God wants me. It's huge too, which isn't good for me. I have generalized anxiety disorder and I will gladly blend in to the woodwork, but I need to meet other Christians.

Anyways, I'd like to find a church that is closer, and I found a non denominational one, right on the main route so that I can leave for church at a decent time and not have to wait forever for a ride home after service. Someone recommended it to me and I looked it up and was very impressed with what I found...but they're Calvinist- may be Reformed. Which doesn't bother me except in the whole "free will" thing. I'm trying to avoid more then casual reading on these debates as a new Christian because I think it would be the quickest way to get in trouble. But knowing that I very much lean towards the other side on that debate, is it being honest to go to that church? Other then that mention in their statement of faith they look exactly like what I'm looking for in a church, and I'll actually know someone there!

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyways, I'd like to find a church that is closer, and I found a non denominational one, right on the main route so that I can leave for church at a decent time and not have to wait forever for a ride home after service. Someone recommended it to me and I looked it up and was very impressed with what I found...but they're Calvinist- may be Reformed. Which doesn't bother me except in the whole "free will" thing.

Fair disclosure: i'm Calvinist and Reformed.

But I say: go for it! Your doubts are almost certainly the result of misunderstanding what they believe.

Of course, with any new church, you should check whether what they say is biblical (Acts of the Apostles 17:11).

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a baby Christian- just since December- although I had been Christian before and fell away so I know a little more of the theology and stuff then the average new believer might know.
I was going to a church, but transportation wise it's just becoming a pain. I have to leave 2 1/2 hours before service starts to get there, and then I have to wait 45 minutes after service to catch the bus home. I was offered rides a few times at this church but something always fell through. No big deal, maybe that's just not where God wants me. It's huge too, which isn't good for me. I have generalized anxiety disorder and I will gladly blend in to the woodwork, but I need to meet other Christians.

Anyways, I'd like to find a church that is closer, and I found a non denominational one, right on the main route so that I can leave for church at a decent time and not have to wait forever for a ride home after service. Someone recommended it to me and I looked it up and was very impressed with what I found...but they're Calvinist- may be Reformed. Which doesn't bother me except in the whole "free will" thing. I'm trying to avoid more then casual reading on these debates as a new Christian because I think it would be the quickest way to get in trouble. But knowing that I very much lean towards the other side on that debate, is it being honest to go to that church? Other then that mention in their statement of faith they look exactly like what I'm looking for in a church, and I'll actually know someone there!
I was close to attending a Church until I found out it was Calvinist and Reformed. Otherwise, it was looking good.

I think you need to decide on what is a "deal breaker" for you personally. I think it's wise to avoid anything more than casual reading.

Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I like what Aspzan said. We all have deal breakers, and I have never gone to a church where I agreed with everything. Your chances of that are about as good as the chance you will run into a unicorn. Yet, there are things for each of us that are deal breakers. To know for sure pop in for at least 3 services and find out.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hopefully, there are other churches around which are possibilities for you ... aside from the church that's too far away ... and the church which has doctrines on which you don't quite agree.

As a newer believer (or newly renewed) ... I think that it is important that you become a bit more grounded in the scripture yourself before subjecting your faith to such a test.

Across over 50 years of christian belief, I have had a bit of experience with differing versions of christianity. I was young when I believed, but my faith wasn't really challenged until I went to college. And, believe it or not, the challenge came from a church that I visited while there. I was personally challenged on the validity of my faith, ... and though I left that church visit still secure in my faith, ... the encounter did propel me on a quest to do a deeper investigation in my faith. From that point, I likely spent 5 years in personal study of the scriptures, reading through the scriptures a couple times, and memorizing select portions of scripture. I also read dozens of books on various features and varieties of the faith, ... and emerged with a pretty sure grip upon what I believed.

(Interestingly, I ran into other representatives of the group that challenged my faith previously, ... and once again, found the need to part with them at the point of divergence in our faiths).

Aside from that, I have participated in discussions with Calvinists across almost 20 years of participating in these types of forum discussions, ... and have often found those discussions to be unnecessarily confrontational, to say the least. I consider the question of HOW God accomplishes His salvation for us to be, ultimately, a peripheral issue, and, likely, some blending of the views that are offered on it.

All of that said, I would encourage you (as a newer christian) to try and find a closer church ... where you can grow your faith, rather than have to immediately deal with a challenge to your faith. (Most Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran churches are good places which major in the Biblical basics of the faith, rather than peripherals).

I will be praying that God will direct you in the way He desires for you to go ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

No church is perfect as every child of God is still growing in grace. Have you been baptized with the Holy Spirit, speaking with new tongues?

• Agree
Reactions: sunshine100
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I recommend you give that church a try.

After attending several different churches during my lifetime it wasn't until my wife and I found a Reformed Church seven or eight years ago that thing's really picked up for us. Their solid teaching and preaching straight from the Book is heartwarming.

Don't let the free will thing hang you up it's not as most explain.

MB

• Agree
Reactions: sunshine100
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
speaking with new tongues?

Most of the Christians that I have met do not do that.

So it seems we should not make that any type of an requirement?

MB

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Most of the Christians that I have met do not do that.

So it seems we should not make that any type of an requirement?

MB
The Baptism WITH the Spirit is foretold in all 4 gospels plus the Acts. Jesus is not going to call His Bride until they have fully embraced that glorious truth.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

If you were to join that church, you would be making something of a commitment to its theology, but simply attending services is not in the same category. So that may be the better course of action for the time being.

By the way, references to "Baby Christians" reflects a certain minority religious POV. If you are a Christian, then you are a Christian. That's it. We all learn and grow as we go through our lives. But being in church certainly helps accomplish that. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hopefully, there are other churches around which are possibilities for you ... aside from the church that's too far away ... and the church which has doctrines on which you don't quite agree.

As a newer believer (or newly renewed) ... I think that it is important that you become a bit more grounded in the scripture yourself before subjecting your faith to such a test.

Across over 50 years of christian belief, I have had a bit of experience with differing versions of christianity. I was young when I believed, but my faith wasn't really challenged until I went to college. And, believe it or not, the challenge came from a church that I visited while there. I was personally challenged on the validity of my faith, ... and though I left that church visit still secure in my faith, ... the encounter did propel me on a quest to do a deeper investigation in my faith. From that point, I likely spent 5 years in personal study of the scriptures, reading through the scriptures a couple times, and memorizing select portions of scripture. I also read dozens of books on various features and varieties of the faith, ... and emerged with a pretty sure grip upon what I believed.

(Interestingly, I ran into other representatives of the group that challenged my faith previously, ... and once again, found the need to part with them at the point of divergence in our faiths).

Aside from that, I have participated in discussions with Calvinists across almost 20 years of participating in these types of forum discussions, ... and have often found those discussions to be unnecessarily confrontational, to say the least. I consider the question of HOW God accomplishes His salvation for us to be, ultimately, a peripheral issue, and, likely, some blending of the views that are offered on it.

All of that said, I would encourage you (as a newer christian) to try and find a closer church ... where you can grow your faith, rather than have to immediately deal with a challenge to your faith. (Most Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran churches are good places which major in the Biblical basics of the faith, rather than peripherals).

I will be praying that God will direct you in the way He desires for you to go ...

I agree with you the discussion is ultimately a peripheral issue and also that it is likely a blending of views. I look at it somewhat like the Trinity; in many ways, it's a mystery of faith to us. Maybe because of it, the issue is not necessarily a deal breaker to me.

You really can't attend the mainstream churches around here. (The exception would probably be the Baptists, but I checked, and there are no Baptist churches near me except a fundamentalist KJV only one- and that kind of church is a deal breaker for me). This community is so liberal. I'm honestly amazed I found this church that I found on the main bus line.

Upvote 0

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I went to the church this morning. I'm definitely going to have to go again to make any sort of judgement, because when I go to a new place my anxiety skyrockets. Honestly, if it hadn't been so cold and if I hadn't had to use the restroom I probably would have chickened out after getting off the bus. :)
The worship was great, and if the sermon is typical of their sermons it's worth going for in and of itself. It wasn't the typical "three point" model, but he didn't ramble...just really unpacked each phrase of the verses he was preaching on. I haven't heard a sermon that in depth in a long time- and it was done without being overly long.
Other then the original problem I posted on, the church has a heavy student/young professional population. While it's nice to see that many young adults at church I (at 38) found myself very self-conscious about my age, and that's usually not the kind of thing I notice, being usually too busy being self-conscious about my weight to be self-conscious about my age. ;) Seriously, I honestly don't know how much to care about something like that; I would like to find a church where I could make friends.
I hate looking for a church. I hate, even more, having to take things like transportation into account.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While it's nice to see that many young adults at church I (at 38) found myself very self-conscious about my age, ...
Wow ... at 38, you were self-conscious about your age. Must be a fairly young church membership ...

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow ... at 38, you were self-conscious about your age. Must be a fairly young church membership ...

I would go there and I'm 68.
It would be easy to tell that I'm the old guy there.

We go for the solid sermon and communion.

Did you take communion today?

M-Bob

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would go there and I'm 68.
It would be easy to tell that I'm the old guy there.

We go for the solid sermon and communion.

Did you take communion today?

M-Bob

Yeah ... I was just commenting on the youthful nature of the congregation.

That's a good thing.

BTW, we take communion on first Sundays ... so next week.

Upvote 0

sunshine100

Love God Love people
Site Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Florida
✟121,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recommend you give that church a try.

After attending several different churches during my lifetime it wasn't until my wife and I found a Reformed Church seven or eight years ago that thing's really picked up for us. Their solid teaching and preaching straight from the Book is heartwarming.

Don't let the free will thing hang you up it's not as most explain.

MB
I agree,give that church a try,see how you like it,it's always good to try new churches to see which one you like the best and to and to see which one that you think is the one that is just right for you.

Upvote 0