USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. It would imply that you feel they have sinned, or did something wrong which, in turn, needs forgiveness. If they apologized to you for saying that....then yes, tell them they are forgiven if you feel that way. otherwise, you may cause more harm than good. Might be best to leave it alone.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If they have not sought forgiveness, then your words would just be selfish and possibly harmful. You are trying to relieve a feeling that you were wronged but now have overcome it, but that is actually a matter between you and God. This situation is not uncommon. You need to accept that person as they are and seek God for help to do that if needed.

In some cases, it is appropriate (and healthy for you) to talk to the person so they understand how what they said/did hurt you—but don't offer forgiveness if they don't seek it. Also, sometimes it is appropriate to forgive someone without using the word "forgive," because they may feel sorry, but not actually be explicitly seeking forgiveness. Colloquially, people say things like "don't worry about it." It's your heart that needs to be set free. You need to believe that you have completely forgiven them. (Their heart is none of your business; it is between them and God.)

One test for light offenses is to check yourself: if they made you angry in the future, would you lash out by reminding them of what they did? If so, you have not yet completely forgiven them. Your reaction should be like you forgot it ever happened. For more significant and deep hurts, that may not come for a long time, but that is the direction you need to work toward with God's help.

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I need to tell someone next Sabbath at my Messianic Church that I forgive them for saying that my breath smells (even if I did smell). Is this ok to do?

Ummm... if my breath smells you better tell me so I know! I wouldn't want to go around with smelly breath and not know it.

I believe you should appologize for getting mad at someone unjustly. Take a look in the bible about how a Christian is supposed to deal with correction.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I need to tell someone next Sabbath at my Messianic Church that I forgive them for saying that my breath smells (even if I did smell). Is this ok to do?

If this person, in your estimation, said this to hurt, embarrass, and/or insult you, yes it is THEY who were offensive, and if you are feeling the unction to forgive them, it should be perfectly fine to tell them that you forgive them. It might also be timely to clarify what their intent was in saying it.

Praying for you, brother (((hug)))

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Not sure ... are you saying the person said it publicly where others heard it or are you
saying the person said it to you privately?

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2012
California
✟41,185.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ummm... if my breath smells you better tell me so I know! I wouldn't want to go around with smelly breath and not know it.

I believe you should appologize for getting mad at someone unjustly. Take a look in the bible about how a Christian is supposed to deal with correction.

So it would be ok if I told what he said to someone else then expect an apology for them being unjustly angry? It would not be ok if I was in his shoes.

EDIT: I am not saying that I do not deserve to be blamed for my breath smelling bad. I just feel like he was a jerk about it. I did not get angry with him at all when I was with him. He told me to gargle with salt water which was embarrassing but I did it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So it would be ok if I told what he said to someone else then expect an apology for them being unjustly angry? It would not be ok if I was in his shoes.

EDIT: I am not saying that I do not deserve to be blamed for my breath smelling bad. I just feel like he was a jerk about it. I did not get angry with him at all when I was with him. He told me to gargle with salt water which was embarrassing but I did it.

That was not clear in your OP. You just said they said that your breath smelled, you didn't mention that they didn't say it to you.

Yes, they were wrong to gossip about you. The bible says that when someone wrongs you that you go to them one on one and explain their wrong. If they do not repent then you go to the church.

Upvote 0