✟9,346.00
Country
Togo
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I enjoyed your post although I believe you are taking the moral high ground

I might be, but I'm endeavoring to also respond to my conscience on this.

I don't find death in and if itself something to be feared, nor suffering. I also agree that effectually thumbing our nose at the things that can kill and maim the body but not kill the soul is an act of defiance toward the broken world is something that I actually delight in taking part.

If by taking the moral high ground you mean asserting self-righteousness though, you're wrong but I see how you could have reached that conclusion.

I'm guilty of taking part in dark humor as well, but I have a moral conviction against it and therefore endeavor to avoid this. I think that if you had seen in real life what I've seen, you would probably feel the same way.

Interestingly, something I've observed is that the more highly educated the person (is. Doctor/Trauma Surgeon vs. paramedic) the less they employ dark humor to cope.

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I might be, but I'm endeavoring to also respond to my conscience on this.

I don't find death in and if itself something to be feared, nor suffering. I also agree that effectually thumbing our nose at the things that can kill and maim the body but not kill the soul is an act of defiance toward the broken world is something that I actually delight in taking part.

If by taking the moral high ground you mean asserting self-righteousness though, you're wrong but I see how you could have reached that conclusion.

I'm guilty of taking part in dark humor as well, but I have a moral conviction against it and therefore endeavor to avoid this. I think that if you had seen in real life what I've seen, you would probably feel the same way.

Interestingly, something I've observed is that the more highly educated the person (is. Doctor/Trauma Surgeon vs. paramedic) the less they employ dark humor to cope.
Could that moral compass stop you from seeing hope within tragedy? Had to edit I meant within tragedy

Upvote 0

Greenlee

Dec 3, 2016
West Africa
✟9,346.00
Country
Togo
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Could that moral compass stop you from seeing hope within tragedy? Had to edit I meant within tragedy

I don't gain much hope from finding humor in the situation. NOt to be melodramatic, but some types of trauma, I don't see much to have hope in. In other less dramatic traumatic situations, I take the circumstance much more lightly than the patients because I'm just around it so much that I can't be emotionally committed to every bit of suffering. I also have to maintain some emotional distance so I can function well. But as a matter of a person's dignity and to maintain the posterity of my vocation, I can't allow myself to join into the same sorts of banter that I did when I was a paramedic, from a professional standpoint.

But also, dark humor, at least in the context of healthcare and trauma, tends to be nihilistic in undertone. That's not a terribly hopeful worldview :)

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been exposed to death and dying many times. Anyone who dared to engage in dark humor received a resounding rebuke. Now I simply ask them to think and pray about what they are saying and passing along......

• Agree
Reactions: Greenlee
Upvote 0

Sheep4Christ

Hell:A place where I don't want to go.
Nov 28, 2016
Ga
✟25,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I enjoyed the dark humor in this old movie War of the Roses starring Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas but I don't know if it was dark satire or not. Guess I'd better google the def of that word. Hmm...(thoughtfully stroking chin)

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What I would say is that although it may your humor preference, if it is offensive, I would say it is not a good look for us as Christ's servants to be of offense or to not be caring and loving.

So think about if this is what you want the world to see because you represent Christ on this earth. The world is 'looking' for something about us that is not Godlike, we need to try not to give them any reason to say we are not our Father's Children or doubt we are our Father's Children.

We are Christ's representatives and we have to make sure we represent Him. If you really enjoy the humor, maybe just watch some movies in your home to satisfy your desire for it, but publically I'd be more careful. People take things wrong all the time, it's what we humans do. Or so it seems.

Upvote 0