Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, to be honest, I'm a cancer survivor. It's hard NOT to have a dark sense of humor after all that.

You should see what I have to say about bedpans.

All good things
Emmy

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have a dark sense of humor too. I am also interested in what people have to say about this. I do think sometimes I am quite cynical, and that's not a good thing.
I'm not so sure being cynical is a wicked view, My wife can be quite cynical and it helps me to view others from a different perspective and I like to see both sides of the story.
She absolutely loves watching horror movies, she will watch them till it gets her shaking lol I have no idea why she watches them they are like ready made nightmares made to order,
" I have enough junk in my mind without those images and creepy music scores"
That's what I say to Lisa but really I feel very afraid of those dark thoughts, the kind of thoughts that makes my goose shiver. The times when I'm stood out in the dark when I think I hear something sinister.
Dark satire is also a method of communication between people ,it's a humour within the tradgedy. Why does it exsist? I think it gives us hope when all around it is becoming dark. In my country it is called the chin up let's pull ourselves up and have one last push.
There is hope in humour even the darkest, I'm pretty sure when the day of judgement comes some people will not be smiling. Would be nice to think even the damned may have one last smile even within that much darkness. even the damned would feel gods grace lol

Have edited due to sloppy grammar and to much reliance on autocorrect and have changed a few things now I read it back to myself Lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
reality has many facets...

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
(Ecc 3:1-8)

Reactions: Greenlee
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm not so sure being cynical is a wicked view, My wife can be quite cynical and it helps me to view others from a different perspective and I like to see both sides of the story.
She absolutely loves watching horror movies, she will watch them till it gets her shaking lol I have no idea why she watches them they are like ready made nightmares made to order,
" I have enough junk in my mind without those images and creepy music scores"
That's what I say to Lisa but really I feel very afraid of those dark thoughts, the kind of thoughts that makes my goose shiver. The times when I'm stood out in the dark when I think I hear something sinister.
Dark satire is also a method of communication between people ,it's a humour within the tradgedy. Why does it exsist? I think it gives us hope when all around it is becoming dark. In my country it is called the chin up let's pull ourselves up and have one last push.
There is hope in humour even the darkest, I'm pretty sure when the day of judgement comes some people will not be smiling. Would be nice to think even the damned may have one last smile even within that much darkness. even the damned would feel gods grace lol

Have edited due to sloppy grammar and to much reliance on autocorrect and have changed a few things now I read it back to myself Lol

It stikes me from the Gospels that Jesus had a very dark sense of humour. One example : 'Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?” Also, the demise of Haman in Esther, and the lad blind from birth who finnaly snapped and asked the Pharisees who were harassing him why they wanted to know who had cured him, was it because they too wanted to become his disciples ?!?! Which threw then into paroxysms of incandescent fury and name-calling. But the Bible is ful of them. Sometimes, just situations.

One of my uncles had such a bitter sense of humour that he'd get quite upset if you laughed at one of his more bitter comments. Also, a now-deceased auxiliary bishop who served as the p.p. at our local church had a similar bitter sense of humour. Strange, but the thought has just occurred to me of a strange connection. When, as a child I told my mother I wanted to be a missionary, she replied that all young children did, and that her brother, my uncle Bill, had wanted to be a bishop.

That uncle was a radio 'nut', a 'ham', in fact, and when, as a child, I'd ask him questions while he was fiddling around with the 'innards' of a radio or our TV, one of the early ones, he'd just ignore me. I might as well have spoken to a brick wall. I did find that quite comical at the time, thiough it wasn't meant to be.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think as long as humour isn't aimed at bringing others down, in order to make you look better or feel better about yourself.
My humour can be consistently self-deprecating, which gets to a point which is just not funny anymore. Also I think it can be a slap in the face to our maker.

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I wish I had full membership "Angela the guide to angels" is starting to get on my nerves with her incessant flashing and smiling. If my wife did not check what I spend Our money on i would buy full membership to Christian forums and stop the adverts especially Angela lol

To be honest I would have had a nose in her door, but the pound sign put me off lol I'm a cynic

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
reality has many facets...

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
(Ecc 3:1-8)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When you pay over $1,000 a day for a hospital room and the only view you've got is that of the helicopter landing pad ... well ....

I'd like to have a fork and a pork chop!

Where are the trees?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Well, to be honest, I'm a cancer survivor. It's hard NOT to have a dark sense of humor after all that.

You should see what I have to say about bedpans.

All good things
Emmy
And so young. Sorry to hear that. My wife now 55, had it a few years ago. Hopefully it wont come back.

Reactions: EmmaCat
Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And so young. Sorry to hear that. My wife now 55, had it a few years ago. Hopefully it wont come back.

Thanks! But you don't want to know what I called the phlebotamists.

Dracula came to mind.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upon reflection do I really know dark satire? The kind that was born when a king took possession of a church.
I think I'm only guessing but maybe our great great grandfathers sent us that shiver to remind us of the feeling of oppression or danger when our voices were silenced, and our hearts were divided.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In the silence of the night we shall hear the clarion call of the bells that announces all is well.

My soul doth magnify the Lord : and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
For he hath regarded : the lowliness of his handmaiden.
For behold, from henceforth : all generations shall call me blessed.
For he that is mighty hath magnified me : and holy is his Name.
And his mercy is on them that fear him : throughout all generations.
He hath shewed strength with his arm : he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He hath put down the mighty from their seat : and hath exalted the humble and meek.
He hath filled the hungry with good things : and the rich he hath sent empty away.
He remembering his mercy hath holpen his servant Israel : as he promised to our forefathers, Abraham and his seed for ever.

Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

Greenlee

Dec 3, 2016
West Africa
✟9,346.00
Country
Togo
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
habjng been a paramedic for several years and worked with people knocking on death's door as a surgical PA, I've been in a culture where dark humor is considered a "survival strategy".

While there is some truth to that, I have always been uneasy with it in that we are called, as Christians to suffer with those experiencing these things. Whether in person or behind closed doors with colleagues, I don't see how laughing at or finding humor in the worst parts of the human experience would be consistent with the Christian position.

This isn't to say that I have at times, in moments of darkness in the course of my work sought to find humor in the overwhelming suffering that I've encountered, but the relief gained through this was short lived and mired in a feeling of conviction for lack of sensitivity and in the long run, was not worth the momentary release of norepinephrine.

This is also the reason that I find horror movies objectionable and refuse to delight in the depictions of suffering and mutilation of bodies that is so prevalent during Halloween.

So, simply put, if humans are made in God's image and our bodies are part of the creation that we are to steward, delighting or finding humor in the destruction and/or suffering of humans and their bodies is antithetical to Christian doctrine and morality.

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
habjng been a paramedic for several years and worked with people knocking on death's door as a surgical PA, I've been in a culture where dark humor is considered a "survival strategy".

While there is some truth to that, I have always been uneasy with it in that we are called, as Christians to suffer with those experiencing these things. Whether in person or behind closed doors with colleagues, I don't see how laughing at or finding humor in the worst parts of the human experience would be consistent with the Christian position.

This isn't to say that I have at times, in moments of darkness in the course of my work sought to find humor in the overwhelming suffering that I've encountered, but the relief gained through this was short lived and mired in a feeling of conviction for lack of sensitivity and in the long run, was not worth the momentary release of norepinephrine.

This is also the reason that I find horror movies objectionable and refuse to delight in the depictions of suffering and mutilation of bodies that is so prevalent during Halloween.

So, simply put, if humans are made in God's image and our bodies are part of the creation that we are to steward, delighting or finding humor in the destruction and/or suffering of humans and their bodies is antithetical to Christian doctrine and morality.
I enjoyed your post although I believe you are taking the moral high ground

Upvote 0