Is it ok to preach the word of God when you're a fairly new Christian?

Baby Alice

Sep 3, 2018
Unspecified
✟11,305.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So I'm a fairly new Christian and I often find myself drawn to quote bits of the bible at my friends or tell people to pray when they have problems, the thing is I'm not sure if I should since I'm not that knowlagable yet and I feel like it's too soon for me to preach. Is it ok for a fairly new Christian to preach?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So I'm a fairly new Christian and I often find myself drawn to quote bits of the bible at my friends or tell people to pray when they have problems, the thing is I'm not sure if I should since I'm not that knowlagable yet and I feel like it's too soon for me to preach. Is it ok for a fairly new Christian to preach?

There is a difference in "preaching" (publicly or in a church) and sharing your faith in Christ with others ... and of course you should share your newly found faith with others, being honest that you have yet to learn many things. Study His word daily and you will grow in your knowledge and be better equipped to articulate why you accepted Jesus and why you believe.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You can absolutely share what you do know. Just know where you are lacking in knowledge as well, so you don't overreach. This is different from being in a position of leadership early on in the faith, which is to be discouraged - if someone were to have you preach a sermon or elected as a leader in the church six months in to your faith journey, that wouldn't be good for you or the church.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Typically, Christians are encouraged to share their own experience as a Christian.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can share your experiences, certainly. Pay attention to the difference between what your experiences are and how you evaluate them (opinion, theorizing). Sometimes people will respond unkindly and with unbelief. Be prepared for that. It hurts when people do not believe what you say, and it is natural to want to defend yourself and try to make a case to justify what you said. But you never have to justify your choice of following Jesus. "I believe in Him" is all you need to say.

Evaluate whether you are "teaching" or not. You shouldn't "teach" yet

Also recognize that it is perhaps better to focus on nurturing your relationship with God (such as studying the Bible with qualified help) instead of putting yourself into a position where you listen to logical arguments against following Jesus. There's many and they can drive you to question if you have correctly interpreted the things that have helped you believe in Jesus—and that includes for a person who has heard God's voice, experienced a long string of miracles from God, and who's prayers have been answered often.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Never be ashamed of the gospel! As you learn more about God’s heart, naturally you will mature in the faith, but you can’t grow in faith in love, if you don’t first act in it. It’s not a cookie cutter walk.There will be times where you will offend, because it’s not common, but trust that as long as you are sharing with the right heart,God will do the rest.

It doesn’t require preaching per say, there is a season where you will preach, or you will teach, or you will correct, or just sharing. So it will be a learning experience how to now walk in this life with a new perspective.

One thing I would advise is not to put yourself in front of God, meaning that not everything requires a say or explanation on your part. Moreso, your job is to let people know, not to save. Accept that for some instances, it means that they won’t receive it, or maybe at that time they are not ready to receive, or maybe they do and later on they don’t. Maybe the timing to share is immediate, sometimes you have to save it for a later time.God’s Word will never fail though, and you have to trust that with confidence. If you’re not at that point, develop your relationship with God so that you’re able to be confident.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Baby Alice, sharing your faith is a natural thing for a baby Christian to want to do, so go for it :oldthumbsup: In fact, all Christians are called to do so, be they young or mature in the faith .. e.g. Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8; 1 Peter 3:15.

Along with sharing what you know about God, the Bible, and/or the Christian faith in general, perhaps the most important thing for you to do is to "witness" to others about what you've experienced 'personally', IOW, share your own, personal testimony about how you came to faith in Christ and what it has already meant to you that you did.

You should also be prepared to tell them why you became a Christian in the first place, what life was like for you before you knew Jesus and, of course, how it's changed/what it's like for you now ~as~ a Christian. You should also be ready to tell them "how" you became a Christian and how they can become one too* :)

*(just FYI, since we know that "faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ" .. Romans 10:17, it's a good to work a Bible verse or two into your presentation/your witnessing whenever possible .. something like John 3:16 is normally a good choice, and/or a verse the is very meaningful to you)

Though giving people your personal testimony normally takes care of this, if it doesn't, try work the Gospel into your presentation whenever you can too (which always includes both the "bad" news/why we need a Savior .. e.g. Romans 5:8-10, as well the "Good News", IOW, who Jesus is (the Word of God/the Son of God/God with us .. e.g. Isaiah 9:6-7; Isaiah 53:5-6; Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-3, 14, 3:16; 5:24; Romans 10:9-10, 2 Corinthians 5:21; Ephesians 1:4-6, 2:1-5; Philippians 2:5-8; Colossians 1:16-20, 2:9) and what He did for us and why.

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - be sure to pray for opportunities to share your faith with others, and continue to pray for His guidance while you are sharing, and afterwards as well (for the salvation of those you have witnessed to).

Isaiah 43
10 ."You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
"And My servant whom I have chosen,
In order that you may know and believe Me
And understand that I am He.
Before Me there was no God formed,
And there will be none after Me."

**Spiritual Boot Camp is a short series by Dr. John MacArthur that was very beneficial to me what I was young in the faith (and it continues to be so for me today). It addresses 4 of the most basic/most important of our spiritual disciplines,

1. How to Study the Scriptures
2. How to Pray
3. How to Function in the Body (Fellowship)
4. How to Witness.

If you'd like to listen to part or all of this series, it's available here to listen to and/or read online for free :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Baby Alice, one last thing, if you are asked a question by a non-Christian that you cannot answer (and you will be), or a question that you are unsure of how to properly answer, no worries, just be honest and tell them that you don't know (or that you are not sure of) the answer, but that you'll find out and get back to them with it as soon as you can.

You might tell them that they've asked a great question, one that you'd like to know the answer to yourself, in fact, because you're still fairly new to the Christian faith (if they don't already know that) and you don't know everything about it yet. What I've found over the years is that being honest and transparent is far more important to the people you are witnessing to than knowledge at hand is. Also, when you have to go find the answer to a question, it gives you a great excuse to get together with them and talk about Jesus again, yes :oldthumbsup:

--David
p.s. - non-Christians will sometimes ask you questions that may cause you to wonder whether or not the Christian faith and/or the Bible is true or not. Don't worry/be patient, because I have yet to find one of their questions that cannot be answered to my satisfaction, especially the ones that seem the most devastating to the faith or the Bible at first blush. These kind of questions also help us grow in the faith and in Christlikeness, because we end up learning so much more about the faith and about ourselves as Christians as we seek, find, and deliver the answers to their questions :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Glory to God :clap: It always excites me to see young people on fire for Jesus. :] Great advice above, So I will only add, Remember Timothy was young when Paul sent him out. There is no age limit on sharing the great commision and always keep in mind that you are living it, Your testimony in shoe leather is more powerful than your spoken one simply because people are watching how you live and act.
God bless and go get em!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Paul started preaching right after conversion (Acts 9:20). You'll mature as you go along. We call it "OJT" (on the job training). In time, you'll discover your spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12:8-10) and the ministry you're called to (Ephesians 4:11-16). If you have the irresistible urge (1 Corinthians 9:17) to preach, then go get 'em for Jesus :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thess

Oct 31, 2018
Chelan
✟19,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Hi there!

A couple of things cross my mind as I read your post:

[1Co 9:25 NIV] 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

This idea of strict training hasn't existed in any of the churches I've ever belonged to, nor has anyone ever told me of how their church places all new Christians into continued, further education. Not all of us are like the Apostle Paul, who after no more than a couple of weeks of his Damascus Road experience, he was preaching with fervor! But notice what Paul says in Galatians chapter two: Verse 2 - 2 "I went there because God revealed to me that I should go. While I was there I met privately with those considered to be leaders of the church and shared with them the message I had been preaching to the Gentiles. I wanted to make sure that we were in agreement, for fear that all my efforts had been wasted and I was
running the race for nothing."

Peaching accurate truth's is everything. Imagine if what you teach is only half accurate? Can anyone come to know Christ if their information was half accurate? Further, if our beliefs are fifty percent, our submission will only be fifty percent. If our submission is only fifty percent, so will our level of obedience. If we do not obey, we cannot possess the virtue of dignity and confidence and we cannot, therefore, share much of anything about ourselves, let alone the Gospel of Christ.

Make sure that you are speaking the truth! [Mar 9:42 NIV] 42 "If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea." We must teach the truth, otherwise, our demise is most ugly.

Upvote 0