Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
So he's a pew sitter...

'The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation. “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Revelation 3:14-22

Also:

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world" 1 John 2:15-16

And:

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship."
Romans 12:1

Sums it up.
I dont look down on other sinners sir. Perhaps you do ?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I dont look down on other sinners sir. Perhaps you do ?

I'm a ma'am.. and no I don't look down on anyone, for that I'd first have to look down on myself.

It's not about having wealth, or not having wealth, suffering or not suffering, being happy or not being happy..

It's about God's place in the Christians heart... where is His place in our lives? If it's not #1, we need to rethink a lot, and perhaps go to God in repentance asking forgiveness for that...

God gives great and wonderful gifts to his children, the question is always are we submitting our lives to Him?

You weren't describing someone who is..

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm a ma'am.. and no I don't look down on anyone, for that I'd first have to look down on myself.

It's not about having wealth, or not having wealth, suffering or not suffering, being happy or not being happy..

It's about God's place in the Christians heart... where is His place in our lives? If it's not #1, we need to rethink a lot, and perhaps go to God in repentance asking forgiveness for that...

God gives great and wonderful gifts to his children, the question is always are we submitting our lives to Him?

You weren't describing someone who is..
So God wont accept being Number 2 in our lives?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So God wont accept being Number 2 in our lives?

No, He doesn't...

The greatest commandment (Matthew 22:36-40) is to Love the Lord your God with all your heart, strength and soul.

As He says He is a jealous God (Exodus 34:14)

He is unchanging, the same God of the Old Covenant is also the Author and Finisher of the New...

We all need Grace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's an example:
Cedric is happily married with 2 kids. has a secure well paid job. Goes to Church ,pays his tithe.
Not a deeply committed Christian but still ….
Cycling and kite surfing are his passions. He is a good family man and takes his family on vacations to Hawaii or Vanuatu. He lives life to the full and also finds time to write historical novels.
So he is living life to the full? isn't that what God wants him to do? He is very happy and so are his wife and kids..... doesn't God want Him to be happy in this life?

God wants us all to be happy. He wants us to love our neighbor and Himself. Those things make us happy if we do them. If Cedric is seeking happiness in material things while ignoring the deep yearning in his soul to fulfill the meaning God has for his life he may look happy but it may just be that he has found a way to be engaged in pleasurable experiences in order to distract himself from that yearning. If Cedric finds a way to fulfill god's meaning in his everyday life while also gaining pleasure from material activities and experiences there is no reason he cannot be happy in the fullest measure.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's an example:
Cedric is happily married with 2 kids. has a secure well paid job. Goes to Church ,pays his tithe.
Cycling and kite surfing are his passions. He is a good family man and takes his family on vacations to Hawaii or Vanuatu. He lives life to the full and also finds time to write historical novels.
So he is living life to the full? isn't that what God wants him to do? He is very happy and so are his wife and kids..... doesn't God want Him to be happy in this life?
John 12:25

Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

John 15:19

If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

James 4:4

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

1 John 2:15

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

1 Corinthians 4:11

Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwelling place; 12 And labor, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it: 13 Being defamed, we entreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the off scouring of all things unto this day. 14 I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you."

Matthew 5:3

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. 5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. 7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. 8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. 10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Luke 6:20

“Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. 21 Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh. 22 Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. 23 “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets. 24 “But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort. 25 Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep. 26 Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets.

2 Corinthians 12:10

That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Matthew 10:22

You will be hated by everyone because of Me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Philippians 1:21

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith

1 Thessalonians 3:7

Therefore, brothers and sisters, in all our distress and persecution we were encouraged about you because of your faith. 8 For now we really live, since you are standing firm in the Lord.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Here's an example:
God wants us to be happy, but not through wordly means.

He can bless us with fine material things in this life, but He does not need to. Its not the main thing.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
doesn't God want Him to be happy in this life?
Yes God wants us to be happy. Although often the Bible uses words like Blessed or gladness and Joy. The devil is the one that wants people miserable. "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10) The beatitudes are called the be happy attitudes. Jesus shows us the way to be happy.

Upvote 0