Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Cardio exercise seems to reduce depression. I'm trying to ride my exercise bike an hour before work for that reason.

I'm also trying to lose 5-10 lbs. Intermittent fasting worked in the past, so I'm wondering about not eating until late afternoon or evening. I drink low carb sports drink while I ride the exercise bike, so I get some calories and nutrients from that.

Any opinions?

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cardio exercise seems to reduce depression. I'm trying to ride my exercise bike an hour before work for that reason.

I'm also trying to lose 5-10 lbs. Intermittent fasting worked in the past, so I'm wondering about not eating until late afternoon or evening. I drink low carb sports drink while I ride the exercise bike, so I get some calories and nutrients from that.

Any opinions?
It shouldn't matter as long as you get the nutrition you need. On July 1st of this year I was 265 pounds, high blood pressure, headaches daily (4-6 Alleve) from snoring all night, and low T (179). I began eating within a 6 hour window (sometimes 4) and doing HIIT (High intensity interval training... though more interval workouts... not sure how "high intensive" they were :) ) and coming up on 5 full months now, I am hoping to be 205 on Friday (about 209 right now).

I changed how I eat, I do take some supplements (nothing beyond vitamins, minerals and amino acids), and I can run a 5K.. don't snore at all, my T went up 260 points to 439, and my BP is normal again. So yeah... I would think you're fine. :) I would bring some green tea to curb the appetite until you eat. Use stevia if you can and in a pure form... not what is mixed with other stuff. I can share what I get and even what I eat if you want.

I also have a Facebook page (that is private) called "On the Weigh Down, again" that you can join. We try to encourage one another and share ideas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seventysevens

Feb 27, 2017
USA
✟38,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Any opinions?
You need good quality protein to sustain you, many of the sports drinks out there have little if any nutritional value
Try a bowl of oatmeal mixed with fruit and a protein shake
several small serving meals throughout the day keeps the metabolism going which burns calories , fasting is good for cleansing the body of waste products

When you have carbs be sure they are 'complex carbs' as they have nutritional value
simple carbs have none as they are mostly just things that elevate sugar and insulin in your system
I have a protein shake with 'whey protein isolate' which is pure protein , a scoop is 20 grams of high quality protein mixed with milk or juice and a banana or other fruit and when in a hurry I add scoop of the the food REAL FOOD , it is very good , taste good very nutritious... cottage cheese at evening works well too

https://www.amazon.com/Rich-Piana-5...UTF8&qid=1511791447&sr=8-5&keywords=REAL+FOOD

Rich Piana 5% Nutrition

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Any opinions?

What "worked in the past" should still work.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You need good quality protein to sustain you, many of the sports drinks out there have little if any nutritional value
Try a bowl of oatmeal mixed with fruit and a protein shake
several small serving meals throughout the day keeps the metabolism going which burns calories , fasting is good for cleansing the body of waste products

When you have carbs be sure they are 'complex carbs' as they have nutritional value
simple carbs have none as they are mostly just things that elevate sugar and insulin in your system
I have a protein shake with 'whey protein isolate' which is pure protein , a scoop is 20 grams of high quality protein mixed with milk or juice and a banana or other fruit and when in a hurry I add scoop of the the food REAL FOOD , it is very good , taste good very nutritious... cottage cheese at evening works well too

https://www.amazon.com/Rich-Piana-5...UTF8&qid=1511791447&sr=8-5&keywords=REAL+FOOD

Rich Piana 5% Nutrition
I agree... what I use is a product called Orgain that is a plant based protein powder I add into a daily smoothie (I use the chocolate). One scoop is 20 grams of protein and with other things I add into the smoothie, I end up around 35 grams per smoothie.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Make sure you get enough vitamin D, if you find depression is a problem. It's safe to take up to 1,000 units a day long term, but many people may require perscription doses because they are so depleted. Old fashioned cod liver oil is a good source, because it also contains vitamin A and some omega 3 fatty acids, which is another thing you should be looking into, if you deal with depression.

I have had problems with my D being too low in the past and the most obvious symptom is depression, and also memory problems.

Try 20-30 minutes exercise before work, not an hour. If you are fasting you don't need the additional stress from exercising alot. Just keep it moderate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Make sure you get enough vitamin D, if you find depression is a problem. It's safe to take up to 1,000 units a day long term, but many people may require perscription doses because they are so depleted.

That is actually very low... the USDA had it set at 400IU daily but it is now 2000IU daily. 2 hours in the sun can cause you to produce up to 40,000IU's so... I generally take 5000 a day but I would also suggest a blood test to see where you are.

You're right though, my sister suffered from winter blues. I told her for years, while she sat in front of this light... to increase her D-3 and she ignored me. Then somebody else suggested it to her and she listened and hasn't had an issue since.

Try 20-30 minutes exercise before work, not an hour. Too much cardiovascular exercise actually causes stress to the heart and the body and has no additional health benefits.

This is great advice as well. 20-30 minutes, 3-4 days a week with a good diet (and even some mild weight lifting) is plenty.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I live in Florida so I never suspected vitamin D deficiency until I had a doctor that was into vitamins and low-cost treatments suggest it. It turns out that showering or bathing can wash away vitamin D from the skin before it's absorbed. They've found surprisingly high vitamin D deficiency in surfers in California, even though they spend alot of time in the sun. So for modern human beings, the sun is not all that reliable a source of vitamin D.

I really have noticed D deficiency in the winter here. Low energy, forgetfulness, joint and bone pain are the symptoms I get. In the summer I suspect I get just enough sun to keep it away, but after Daylight Savings goes off there's more darkness and I'm not really outside enough (Florida's sun is very intense in the summer, almost tropical).

Another vitamin to look into is B-12. Methylcobalamin is the best kind as it actually helps your body detoxify. If you are older, you may not be absorbing it correctly- this is not rare at all to happen. There are B-12 patches and that's the easiest way to absorb it, followed by B-12 injections. Pills can work for some people but it can be difficult to absorb.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Any opinions?

Not eating after an hour of cardio won't cause you any harm, you don't really need the low carb drink (or the chemicals in it) either, just water, although you might initially feel different not eating your body will adapt. There's a tremendous amount of exaggeration in the sports press on the nutrition needed to support the body through mild to moderate exercise, a lot of the research is only relevant to high performance athletes looking for a slight edge over the competition, or people looking to increase muscle mass. It might affect your mood though - if it does then a handful of nuts might help.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I live in Florida so I never suspected vitamin D deficiency until I had a doctor that was into vitamins and low-cost treatments suggest it. It turns out that showering or bathing can wash away vitamin D from the skin before it's absorbed. They've found surprisingly high vitamin D deficiency in surfers in California, even though they spend alot of time in the sun. So for modern human beings, the sun is not all that reliable a source of vitamin D.

I really have noticed D deficiency in the winter here. Low energy, forgetfulness, joint and bone pain are the symptoms I get. In the summer I suspect I get just enough sun to keep it away, but after Daylight Savings goes off there's more darkness and I'm not really outside enough (Florida's sun is very intense in the summer, almost tropical).

Another vitamin to look into is B-12. Methylcobalamin is the best kind as it actually helps your body detoxify. If you are older, you may not be absorbing it correctly- this is not rare at all to happen. There are B-12 patches and that's the easiest way to absorb it, followed by B-12 injections. Pills can work for some people but it can be difficult to absorb.

I am taking D3 2000 IU and some other vitamins. I have a heterozygous mutation C677T that might be a factor. I take methylfolate for that reason.

One drug that seemed to help was scopolamine. The most effective remedy for my depression has been cardio exercise, but it needs to be somewhat intense like at least 60 minutes. I thinking the neurotransmitters GABA and glutamate might be the common thread in scopolamine and exercise.

So anyway, exercise apparently stimulate the creation of GABA and glutamate from some amino acids. I've wondered if it might be important to have those amino acids available through eating promptly to get the full depression benefits from exercise. My primary goal is depression relief rather than weight loss, but I can stand to lose some flab too. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
A single mutation in methylation is typically not a big deal. I have the same mutation. If you are taking vitamins and exercising a moderate amount, you need to look at psychological and social factors.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
A single mutation in methylation is typically not a big deal. I have the same mutation. If you are taking vitamins and exercising a moderate amount, you need to look at psychological and social factors.
Yes, I read an article this morning that said heterozygous degrades the folate absorption by 30% versus 70% for homozygous.

Cardio makes a HUGE difference for me. If I could do 60 minutes of cardio every day, I wouldn't have any problem with depression. That's what I used to do when I was around 30, but I'm around 50 now so it can really make me tired.

You should try cardio exercise if you have depression. Maybe you already do that. The hard thing is getting motivated to exercise when you're already depressed. LOL

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It shouldn't matter as long as you get the nutrition you need. On July 1st of this year I was 265 pounds, high blood pressure, headaches daily (4-6 Alleve) from snoring all night, and low T (179). I began eating within a 6 hour window (sometimes 4) and doing HIIT (High intensity interval training... though more interval workouts... not sure how "high intensive" they were :) ) and coming up on 5 full months now, I am hoping to be 205 on Friday (about 209 right now).
That is really amazing that you lost that weight so quickly. A woman I work with lost 40 lbs on the low carb diet, but it's taken her 8 months.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is really amazing that you lost that weight so quickly. A woman I work with lost 40 lbs on the low carb diet, but it's taken her 8 months.
The problem with a low carb diet is you can't live like that forever. And fads will work for a time, I know, that is why I called that group "on the weigh down, AGAIN." I have lost 30, gained 40, lost 40 and gained 50... last time lost 50 and gained 60.... you have to find something you can do for life. Only a change in one's outlook toward health and food can work long term.

Most of my weight, as would be expected, came off in the first two months. When you are THAT obese (at 5' 11", I should be closer to 180 with my frame... so 85 pounds over weight) the first part comes off fast. The rest has been slow and healthy...

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I get plenty of exercise as I do not own a car.

I tried a low-carb diet high in protein once, and I started developing gout-like symptoms, my toes starting hurting like arthritis. It does work for losing weight but you can't live like that long term.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I get plenty of exercise as I do not own a car.

I tried a low-carb diet high in protein once, and I started developing gout-like symptoms, my toes starting hurting like arthritis. It does work for losing weight but you can't live like that long term.
My tendency is to be on a high carb diet. I used to ride my bicycle and then eat three bagels before work. I love whole grain breads, pasta, etc. I realized about 15 years ago that wheat and oats bother me, but I could just live on bagels if I had the choice :) So my diet is to try to substitute fresh leafy vegetables for the rice I would normally eat. The other part is to wait until afternoon or evening to eat, so I have an intermittent fast. ... But I only lost 10 or 15 lbs over 6 months. I gained about half of that back over the past couple of months by not fasting. So the fasting seems to be important. It gets old after a while though. LOL

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You should try cardio exercise if you have depression

There's something to be said for strength training here too, like dead lifts and squats. Pluses are that you don't have to train as often for gains in overall fitness, and the release of hormones produced lifting heavy weights help with focus and mental clarity, which can promote a sense of being more in control and encourage activity and a sense of purpose. A negative, depending on how you look at it, it that you need to invest time into learning correct form for heavy lifts, and if you want to do it at home space and fairly expensive kit.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,800.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree. It helped me.

Any opinions?
Before my foot got hurt, during fasting periods I'd do serious running, up to 2 hour runs carrying weights. I usually didn't go completely without food but I ate very light, and little protein. I've never had any problems from it as far as I can tell. I'd agree with the other guy who said skip the so-called "sports drink". Just have water, and if you really work up a sweat have something like a banana or avocado to replace electrolytes.

Upvote 0

Ajflyguy7

Aug 12, 2017
Central Coast, California
✟23,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Exercising is important for your overall health. I think most people underestimate the benefits of weightlifting. Weightlifting does a significant amount to boost your metabolism. Having more muscle on your body requires you to burn more calories throughout the day. Multi-joint movements (deadlift, squat, bench, etc.) increase testosterone levels (especially in men). Strength is always something that will benefit you.

Cardio is beneficial as well. I would recommend doing some research and finding some different training plans to try. High intensity interval training (HIIT) is a scientifically proven way to increase your cardio. You should look into training for endurance and speed as well. Having HIIT, endurance, and speed days will make your workout more fun and less of the same. Additionally, if you do the same workout over and over, your body will get used to it and you won't see any improvements.

Finally, diet is probably the most important part of an exercise/health regimen. If you aren't properly fueling your body, you won't perform as well and it will be easier for you to gain fat. Feel free to send me a message if you would like some recommendations.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Any opinions?

You should be fine. If you are eating during say a 10hr window throughout the day, just make sure you are getting everything you need in that time frame.

For me personally, a good cardio workout suppresses my appetite for quite some time afterwards, but some people are different.

Upvote 0