Is it ok if material blessing mean LOT more to me than spiritual blessings?

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, it isn't okay according to the Bible. Matthew 6:19-20 Also, read about rich men in the Bible. One was storing up wealth and given sudden death. Luke 12:18-21 One had to walk away from Jesus because he valued his wealth more than Jesus. Matthew 19:16-30 Choose your priority very carefully.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldrin25

Jun 7, 2019
Manila
✟34,975.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It isn't that they are bad, just that spiritual blessings don't mean nearly as much to me as material blessings. They just don't move me nearly as much. Is this ok?
No, it's not ok. I would suggest you fast. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2019
Milwaukee
✟15,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing wrong with being moved by the material blessing especially when you are coming out of a period of lack. Yet I wouldn't become too comfortable with that position, and once your immediate needs are met you will be able to appreciate more things. Anything beyond that borders covetousness and I would stay away.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Where your treasure is, there your heart is also.

Still, I understand. My generation has been largely exempted from most of this economic recovery that's going on. I love the concept of receiving eternal blessings where appropriate. However, I've lived through a lot of times in life where some help with the rent would've been wonderful too.

I understand where you're coming from.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the above posts.
As long as we have food, clothing,shelter everything else is a bonus.
I think that you need to think and pray about where your heart lays.

Remember where our treasure is, that is where our heart is.

If you cannot give God all your heart then you cannot follow Him. Jesus said this, not me.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It isn't that they are bad, just that spiritual blessings don't mean nearly as much to me as material blessings. They just don't move me nearly as much. Is this ok?
Yes it is ok, to feel this way...... But if you have ever received a spiritual blessing....this is not a question you would ask.....you would know that the spirit outweigh the material so much so, that you may never ask for anything material again.

Can you give an example of a spiritual blessing that you've received that you would consider lesser than a material one?

Upvote 0

FaithLife1

May 27, 2019
N/A
✟13,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God should be our main focus not money and possessions.

Hebrews 13:5 (NIV)

"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,

"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you."

1 Timothy 6:17 (NIV)

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment."

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It isn't that they are bad, just that spiritual blessings don't mean nearly as much to me as material blessings. They just don't move me nearly as much.
"I will not be brought under the power of any," Paul says in 1 Corinthians 6:12. I offer this means that no material item should be allowed to have us under its power.

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:16)

This is for every child of God > for all of us who are "in one body" of Jesus Christ our Groom. So, this is a basic of our calling as Christians > we are growing in submitting to how our Father rules each of us in His own peace in our "hearts". God's peace is His own harmony, with His own creativity for how to love each and every person, plus there is God's own almighty power in His peace making us more and more immune to how Satan would violate us with worry and unforgiveness and greed and lying and arguing and complaining.

So, this peace does so much more than material things can do. So, may God prove Himself to you, in this.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When you are moved by these physical blessings, are you moved to give praise and thanksgiving to God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
No. "What good is it for a man (woman) to gain the whole world yet lose his soul (Matthew 16:26)?" Why would you cherish material blessings, which are here today and gone tomorrow more than the Lord and His eternal goodness? Peace in Christ.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Everything God gives you are to be used for His glory and to be shared with others. Not for selfish purposes. I don't recall God ever blessing anyone with anything for the sole purpose of "being merry". If anyone can find an example, please let me know.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

i understand, brother. Pray about it, and make sure you thank God and praise Him for how He blesses you.

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I'm not sure what a 'spiritual blessing' is. What is that? Sounds like "glitter points" or something.

If you are blessed with something that can not be seen, or touched, or something... then what is it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums