Is it OK for Jesus to cause a Bible to drip oil?

Do you have a problem with Jesus causing a Bible to drip oil?

• No

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I think that Jesus can do whatever he chooses to do anywhere He pleases!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Why would Jesus do such an awesome miracle in the USA???????

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Agreed.
There is no limit to what a magician can do, and it is more sleight of hand rather than actual supernatural magic. What we may not see is the narrow plastic pipe coming from somewhere on the man's person from a flexible container of oil, attached to the Bible to make it appear that oil is dripping from the Bible itself. You have seen Youtube videos of illusions performed on a public street right in front of a crowd of people who have no idea of how it is possible.

It is naive to accept that every preacher and pastor is being honest. Consider the guy who was a notable preacher who had remarkable words of knowledge, and then it was revealed that he wore an earpiece, with his wife transmitting information about people that she had interviewed beforehand. And what about the other one who was observed talking to people before his service, and then had words of knowledge about those same people after getting information from them beforehand.

Hypnotic suggestion is another deception. There are many who, after prayer, report being healed, but not really healed, but too ashamed to admit it. Or what about the preacher who had a word of knowledge about a totally healthy person that he had cancer, laid hands on him and pronounced him healed? That guy wasn't healed because he never had cancer in the first place!

When God heals a person, there is previous evidence of the medical condition, and subsequent evidence through medical examination that the condition is no longer there. Such healings are documented by the secular medical professionals involved, who are in no doubt that the person has been genuinely healed by a miracle. Often the secular doctor has turned to Christ as a result.

I wonder why a perfectly healthy person would go up fpr pray for healing from cancer when they know they didn't have cancer? I can't get my head round that

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Junia said:
I hate to limit God. I think we canot put God in a box- He can do all things. BUT....Why would He cause a Bible to drip with oil? Gold dust? feathers? why??

It is not that there are not miracles from God. There are some people who really want to believe in miracles and they would believe they see miracles where miracles are being claimed. We may yet see that there are such occasions that do not serve God's purposes at all, and yet serve certain men who gain following and contributions. It is not serving God's purposes if there are not people drawn to the gospel with coming to Christ, and truth being revealed.

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It is not that there are not miracles from God. There are some people who really want to believe in miracles and they would believe they see miracles where miracles are being claimed. We may yet see that there are such occasions that do not serve God's purposes at all, and yet serve certain men who gain following and contributions. It is not serving God's purposes if there are not people drawn to the gospel with coming to Christ, and truth being revealed.
And that shouldn't imply that if people are drawn to Christ that the "miracle worker"/evangelist/whatever involved is legitimate, nor that the miracles are genuine. God uses everything to accomplish what he has planned from the beginning.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And that shouldn't imply that if people are drawn to Christ that the "miracle worker"/evangelist/whatever involved is legitimate, nor that the miracles are genuine. God uses everything to accomplish what he has planned from the beginning.

Philippians 1:15-18, however Christ is preached that there are those who really come to Christ is desirable. So fakers can show what are claimed to be miracles, and just use preaching the gospel with that, yet that those who do then come to Christ, the gospel still works, though the fakers are not justified with their using the claimed miracles. Yes there are real miracles, and God uses these in people's lives to make such difference to lead them into needed faith. It does not even need one claiming power of miracles.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Luke 9:50, Jesus said, “Don’t forbid him, for he who is not against us is for us.”

Such ones who speak so as to pursuade others to believe in the same Jesus Christ the same way are not enemies to the gospel, even if they error in ways. We yet need to beware of the errors, without cutting off those who help others come to Christ with our judgment. The error that we should keep separate from is false gospel being preached, that does not bring people to Christ but to other beliefs which are not with salvation in Christ. And fake miracles are produced among those others in certain cases, too.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There will always be claims of miracles among those of the faith. It is best to be discerning of those, as in this case, Miracle of the Flowers

Yet there are things in the secular world pushed on people, that would be miraculous, like the rapid effective vaccinations for an illness or disease, which would in normal circumstances take very long to find, like with other diseases for which still have no effective vaccination though with us for a very long time.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My last response (I think) to this unfortunate thread back a couple of years ago:

You are a scornful mocker.
Yep, I scorn phonyism and mock attempts to peddle cheezy tricks as miracles of God. God grant that I may always have sense enough to do so.

How proud you must be.
Ah, a bit of spiritual one-upsmanship there, huh? Good job you're not all proud and puffed up like I am. You're a real Christian, and I'm just one of those other kind, right?

But you want to know the real secret about this "holy oil"? The secret is that neither you nor the "pastors" believe that it's anything other than Ideal Mineral Oil from TSC! Despite all your oh-so-faithful posturings, you know it's phony.

How do I know that? Very simple - because you not only don't want to take this miracle healing oil where the sick and dying are and unleash the power of God amongst them, you're offended at the very suggestion! You say that you believe that God works through this oil to heal the sick, but your actions. or rather your inaction, belies your words. No interest in reaching unbelievers with genuine, observable miraculous healings, in public, with no possibility of chicanery, and shaking the world with it. Or not even any thought of taking it to the hurting world merely for mercy's sake, simply to ease the suffering of our fellow human beings. Nope , just show-and-tell from church to church, and free will offerings because the laborer is worthy of his hire, right?

Now I'm an old mocking scornful Anglican, but I'll tell you the truth right here, if I had a jug of oil that I thought God would use to cure the sick, I'd cut a trail to Vandy Children's Hospital in Nashville, and I'd anoint every young'un there until I ran out of oil or security dragged me out. I suspect about 90% of the people in this forum would do the same. When I was done at Vandy, I'd dive into the minivan and head for St. Jude's in Memphis and start in there. Bother a bunch of hamsters, I'd deliver God's healing grace to every hurting child I could, as fast as I could.

But you don't. And the "pastors" don't. Y'all are content to badmouth anyone who even suggests such a thing, and insinuate that they just aren't as spiritual (my word, but a good 'un) as you are. The only explanation I can see for it is that y'all know the oil is phony, but don't want to be accused of being, oh, maybe proud scornful mockers.

If it's true, take it and demonstrate God's grace and mercy to the masses. Talk's cheap, put your faith on the line. If it's true, you'll find me right there beside you.

But if it isn't true, then just keep blackguarding those of us who aren't willing play "spiritual" games. We'll know what you really believe by your actions.

Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again.

To say on the authority of the Bible that God does a thing no honourable man would do, is to lie against God; to say that it is therefore right, is to lie against the very spirit of God -
George McDonald

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Yeah, sort of like Jesus doing Bona Fide Healing Miracles and the people not believing, and calling Him a Blasphemer.

People were not drawn to Christ by His Miracles, they were drawn only to the Miracles themselves.

But as far as the Miracle of Oil from an inanimate object like a Bible, NO that's not a Miracle.

People do not come to Jesus as has been said, (inferred Salvation) through the Miracle of Oil dripping from a Bible, but only by their Belief in Jesus as the only Sacrifice for their sin, and their being Baptized afterward.

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,340.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I don't understand is you have a 50/50 chance of being right, and a 50/50 chance of being wrong, and what do you do? Do you err on the side of holiness?

Hello,

I do not think automatically believing every report and claim is 'erring on the side of holiness'. Perhaps it could be seen as erring on the side of gullibility. The bible says:

Matthew 24:4 Watch out that no-one deceives you!
And
1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 Test everything; hold fast what is good. But reject every form of evil.

Even before this oil leaking bible was investigated and found to be a hoax, several posters here explained why it was a hoax. Holiness and discernment go together, as crafty as the serpent, as harmless as the dove. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, God has used an inanimate object to manifest a miracle.

Numbers 17:8 “And it came to pass, that on the morrow Moses went into the tabernacle of witness; and, behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi was budded, and brought forth buds, and bloomed blossoms, and yielded almonds.”

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Yeah, sort of like Jesus doing Bona Fide Healing Miracles and the people not believing, and calling Him a Blasphemer.

People were not drawn to Christ by His Miracles, they were drawn only to the Miracles themselves.

But as far as the Miracle of Oil from an inanimate object like a Bible, NO that's not a Miracle.

People do not come to Jesus as has been said, (inferred Salvation) through the Miracle of Oil dripping from a Bible, but only by their Belief in Jesus as the only Sacrifice for their sin, and their being Baptized afterward.

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Agreed completely. Faith based on a miracle is superstition, not saving faith. "An evil and perverse generation seeks a sign."

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find things on superstition online, that are enlightening.

A Christian believer may believe that in time of trouble he will be guided by the Bible where it is opened at random with the first text the eye catches there.

The difference between faithful behavior and superstition can be terribly hard to discern, as the difference lies in the subtleties of our inner intentions. But any object, behavior, or belief that you invest with the power to save you or give you good things apart from the power of the living God is a pious talisman and is driving you away from the gospel.

There are more superstitions among us. Like, God wanting us to be happy.

If God loves us, wouldn’t He want us to be happy and have everything we could ever want?

Not necessarily.

The reason is God’s more concerned with your character than your comfort. That’s why we’re not entitled to health, wealth, and stuff. Because of original sin, Christians get cancer, have marital issues or lose their homes in tornadoes and wildfires.

In fact, sometimes being a Christian is what brings the tough times. Right now, around the world, Christians are being persecuted and even martyred. Here in the U.S., some are losing their careers and businesses because of their faith.

But like it happened with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, often God is more glorified when He walks us through the fiery furnace than when He keeps us from it. That’s why “we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” Romans 5:3-5

Upvote 0