Is it ok for Christians to engage with Haloween?

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christmas is a time for superficial consumerism. The fact that it's convenient doesn't change its roots and doesn't change the inaccuracy of its purported celebration.

If it was so much about celebrating the birth of Christ and not just a re-purposed Pagan celebration then an effort could/would/should be made to make it an appropriate event at the appropriate date.

As it stands, it'll never be a Christian event in my eyes. People can gloss over it all they want, but it'll always stand as a Pagan event re-purposed, most likely by corporations, or at least reinforced by, to sell, sell, sell.

If Christian leaders around the world pleaded with Christians to ask not for gifts but a donation made in their name to a charity of their choosing, they'd probably get look at gone out. Says it all really. At least that I could stomach -- You know, people being helped in the name of something good instead of a DVD that'll get watched once or twice instead of the proceeds feeding a kid for 3 months. At the very least, it has gone very wrong somewhere.

I totally agree with everything above, and feel very similar about Christmas also. However I still can't get with your stance, do you think that God would really want us associating ourselves with concepts of horror, terror, fear, mutilation etc ?

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I totally agree with everything above, and feel very similar about Christmas also. However I still can't get with your stance, do you think that God would really want us associating ourselves with concepts of horror, terror, fear, mutilation etc ?

I don't think it matters, really.

We are advanced enough a civilisation to know that no real harm can come from it. I understand that, from a more fundamental position, things like witchcraft and 'magic' are frowned upon, but I've always held the position that someone believing they can actually do anything or magic is more dangerous to themselves and others than the purported 'magic' itself.

I don't think we're glorifying it or anything either. I think it's just some harmless fun that lets people use their imaginations and creativity for a few days.

I think it still has its limits as to what would likely be permissible within a Christian setting, like drawing pentagrams around etc, but other than that, I think it's just a bit of harmless fun for the kids.

Upvote 0

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's just some harmless fun that lets people use their imaginations and creativity for a few days.

I think using imagination in these realms is dangerous, young people often get drawn into this, and don't know what they open themselves to spiritually. The horror movies that kids are curious to watch these days are pretty sinister. That curiosity can grow.

[/quote]I think it still has its limits as to what would likely be permissible within a Christian setting, like drawing pentagrams around etc, but other than that, I think it's just a bit of harmless fun for the kids.[/quote]

Then I'd ask where do you draw the line and who decides that ? Chocolate satans ok ? Triple 6's on costumes ok ? some movies ok, others not, the list goes on. It's a grey area, and if your kids are at someone else's house celebrating this festival, you have no control over those elements !

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I think using imagination in these realms is dangerous, young people often get drawn into this, and don't know what they open themselves to spiritually. The horror movies that kids are curious to watch these days are pretty sinister. That curiosity can grow.
I think it still has its limits as to what would likely be permissible within a Christian setting, like drawing pentagrams around etc, but other than that, I think it's just a bit of harmless fun for the kids.[/quote]

Then I'd ask where do you draw the line and who decides that ? Chocolate satans ok ? Triple 6's on costumes ok ? some movies ok, others not, the list goes on. It's a grey area, and if your kids are at someone else's house celebrating this festival, you have no control over those elements ![/quote]

Mhmm there definitely are grey areas, but I think some things you can't protect people against. We can't be by our child's side at every waking moment of every day -- We have to trust that the foundations we lay for them are adequate enough for them to navigate difficult or curious situations and, failing that, they at least question it or bring it to the parent to discuss.

I think it may even be one of those things that are told they can't do as an absolute and they just want and intend to do it even more as a result. I'd much rather them experience it and then explain things to them.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If Christians don't want to engage with the trappings of Halloween they don't have to. Christians seem to be happy to engage with the pagan/commercial traditions of Christmas because they appear to be innocent. The darker side of Halloween is just more obviously non-christian and therefore uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

Hebraic

Oct 26, 2014
Texas
✟7,645.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
@Nige55, I too am of a similar position on observing pagan holidays. Though it was easy to skip Halloween. Tis a little harder for the rest of the pagan holidays, but I do observe Thanksgiving because one particular group of people originally celebrated his holiday around harvest time in like manner to the Feast of Sukkot.

Upvote 0

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Christians don't want to engage with the trappings of Halloween they don't have to.
Christians seem to be happy to engage with the pagan/commercial traditions of Christmas because they appear to be innocent.
The darker side of Halloween is just more obviously non-christian and therefore uncomfortable.

You seem to understand it clearly. :)

I'm suspicious of Christians that are comfortable with it !

Upvote 0

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Nige55, I too am of a similar position on observing pagan holidays. Though it was easy to skip Halloween. Tis a little harder for the rest of the pagan holidays, but I do observe Thanksgiving because one particular group of people originally celebrated his holiday around harvest time in like manner to the Feast of Sukkot.

:thumbsup:
It is indeed very easy to skip Halloween, and as for how we observe other festivals, this could be for another thread (there have been plenty on it before). The OP was asking should Christians engage in Halloween, and I agree with Hebraic, - Skip it !

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You seem to understand it clearly. :)
Indeed I do, but I'm not sure you've grasped it entirely. You appear to be happy to condone some paganism, but not all of it.

I'm suspicious of Christians that are comfortable with it !
Are you suspicious of Christians who embrace the paganism of Christmas?

:thumbsup:
It is indeed very easy to skip Halloween, and as for how we observe other festivals, this could be for another thread (there have been plenty on it before). The OP was asking should Christians engage in Halloween, and I agree with Hebraic, - Skip it !
Do you skip the pagan traditions of Christmas?

Upvote 0

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed I do, but I'm not sure you've grasped it entirely. You appear to be happy to condone some paganism, but not all of it.

Oh no, far from it. I'm against all of it, but If a Christian can't first grasp that they shouldn't entertain what Halloween can entail, how are they eventually going to see the easter bunny as wrong ? My convictions are firm, what you're picking up on is my approach.

[/quote]Are you suspicious of Christians who embrace the paganism of Christmas?[/quote]

Yes, but as above, they are phase 2, the less informed, or the less convicted.

[/quote]Do you skip the pagan traditions of Christmas?[/quote]

Yes, and easter too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hebraic

Oct 26, 2014
Texas
✟7,645.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Why would a mature Christian observe that which was not commanded by God? Jer 10:2 says not to "learn the way of the heathen." Matt 5:17-20 talks about the "least" and the "great" in heaven. least = breakers of the law and great = the lovers of the law. What do you think God would be more pleased with keeping the holidays with pagan origins or keeping His appointed Feasts through eternity?

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Oh no, far from it. I'm against all of it, but If a Christian can't first grasp that they shouldn't entertain what Halloween can entail, how are they eventually going to see the easter bunny as wrong ? My convictions are firm, what you're picking up on is my approach.
I apologise for misunderstanding you. And I admire your integrity :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

King Mob

Oct 19, 2012
✟15,968.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you as a Christian engage with Haloween? We have 3 young children and allow them to dress up, but not in scary (etc) costumes. We also allow them to go to a few neighbours doors. Otherwise we keep it low key, but we do open the door to 'trick or treaters' and give them a small amount of sweets.

Do you agree or disagree with this approach? :)

Why indeed should they not?

Christians engage in the other major pagan festivals, i.e The cult of Attis, Easter, and Yule, christmas.

Why should Halloween be treated any different?

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Do you as a Christian engage with Haloween? We have 3 young children and allow them to dress up, but not in scary (etc) costumes. We also allow them to go to a few neighbours doors. Otherwise we keep it low key, but we do open the door to 'trick or treaters' and give them a small amount of sweets.

Do you agree or disagree with this approach? :)

The solution is simple, celebrate Reformation Day instead

Reformation Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
A supplementary question to this thread - Is it ok to lie to our children about Santa and the tooth fairy?

My wife and I disagree on this one. I see it as a complete contradiction when we give our children a row for telling lies, yet freely lie to them about fictional characters!!

No parent tells their children the truth 100% of the time; every parent tells their children lies, or at least things which are not absolutely true, at different times and for different reasons. Any parent would know this.

Upvote 0

AndrewZinc

Oct 1, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
✟15,526.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the above post - I don't think it's harmful to allow a belief in Santa Claus, although I wouldn't go out of my way to promote it, e.g. a trip to Lapland to see Santa. I'm going from experience as well - I grew out of belief in Santa and think my parents got the balance right. C.S. Louis included Santa in Narnia!

As Christians, we should always emphasise the true meaning of Christmas to our children. I don't think we can do that enough.

Halloween - although my childhood experience did include some observations of Halloween, my parents wouldn't allow witches or devils, we were always inventively dressed-up and we took part in all the school stuff.

I know a family who are very uncomfortable with it, and with stern biblical warnings against the occult, I think it'd be better to steer clear. A good question to ask is, 'Is it edifying?'

Upvote 0

Godcrazy

Sep 20, 2018
Cheshire
✟9,353.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well well well This thread is a bit old, but I'm gonna give my take as its soon time again sigh
In the country I'm from we've never celebrated Halloween. It's first now, it starts to come as English is mainstream . But generally just a little section here and there, and in the media, and a party here and there
In return, we have something called Lucia and lusse built on the legend of a girl in middle ages Italy who was faced with forced marriage and declined by sticking the eyes out of herself. Getting declared a Saint with new eyes grown out and from there, dressing young women and children in white robes and candles on the head singing hymns goes on.
And day before is since ancient old nordic times said to be the night satan and witches and demons were out so you better stay inside. They believe if you dress up in Halloween lookalike stuff you can scare them off.
Isn't it interesting, that we all have the kinda same thing going on?

And this is of course, on the 13th and the 12th of December. The number 13 is of great importance in the occult
The witches the warlocks, etc are having one of the most important feasts on Halloween. From there it leads up to yule which is Christmas. I don't care, its a satanic holiday, well documented and talked about
Look for John Todd. William scnoebelen.
They speak the truth.
And God said for us to come out of babylon..

Upvote 0