Is it ok, as a married person to befriend a person of the opposite sex in FB and instagram

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it ok to befriend a person of the opposite sex to yourself, if you are married on FB and instagram?
And, is it ok, to comment on the way that they look, "to tell them they look pretty/handsome/cute?If you are not married to them?
Better check with your spouse.

My guess is that few married persons would be okay with that.

• Prayers
Reactions: Hannah66
Upvote 0

Rebecca4Christ

Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2019
Central U.S.
✟106,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Imo,no.Befriending is one thing,flattery is another.Is the husband or wife also friends with this person on these platforms?
We should avoid temptation to sin as much as possible.Matthew 18:8
Mark 9:43 etc.

• Agree
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it ok to befriend a person of the opposite sex to yourself,
Well, Jesus talked with that woman at the well. But notice which way He took the relationship.

Where are you hoping to go? You have people you already know, and Jesus desires that we find out how our Father has us loving the people we already know. I would say, then, if I go to the Net, this needs to be the cup running over with how I have been so blessed in love sharing with my Jesus family people I already know, and in order to reach lost souls for Jesus.

If you have time for a relationship on Facebook with someone who you have never spent time with . . .

I hope you have used time well for being in prayer with God. Isn't it strange, how people can spend time on the Net complaining that they don't have time to be with God in prayer? That minute of complaining or other vain talk on the Net was time you could have been in prayer and sharing with God who really loves you!!

And yet ones are trying to figure out how to fish for a total stranger, in order to get love, when already we have how our Heavenly Father so loves us.

And I know it can be very special to share with Jesus people who are a good example for us and feed us how to be real and sharing with God and learn how to relate in His way of loving as family and in caring for any and all people. So, hopefully you have made sure you have friends like this . . . ones who know you personally, who can see through you so they can really help and bless you.

I think I know someone who has gone to the Net and thought she found love, and the so-called person could give her pretty expert legal advice on how she could get money freed to send to that one claiming to be a man. Possibly, the "person" is an organized international scam gang. And I understand that if a terrorist is getting embedded in the United States, he or she might pose as a love hungry poor lonely soul on the Net, in order to raise money locally so he or she does not risk exposing the terrorist group's leaders in another country by sending them an international request for finances. Intel could intercept an international communication and track down the leaders and their money sources; so one might pretend to be a local love seeker, so he or she can scam for money without exposing higher-uppers and funders of the terrorist organization.

So, I would say never send money to someone you do not know personally, or who is not a verified group's person.

And certainly do not give out your heart > I myself fell for someone who could write the talk and turned out to be with a virtual rapist boyfriend, yet involved with a church. But . . . at least . . . I got in touch with her pastor, because I understood he might not know of me but still was trusting me about how I related with her. He was very good for me.

So, if you are going to share with a total stranger, and if the person is legitimate, I would say the person would love to let you know who his people are who have helped him to walk with Jesus and learn how to love any and all people. They are so good for him; so of course he would want you to be blessed by them, too.

You can get his church on the Net, phone his pastor to check him out and be blessed with how his pastor ministers to you on the phone. And find out who are the mature Christians who mentor your Net friend, so maybe you can verify them with the pastor and share with them, also.

Because love in Jesus is family caring and sharing love, not isolating us with only certain people we hope to use.

And have you been receiving help with mature mentors whom he a Christian person would benefit from getting to know? These much more mature ones would be so much more beneficial to you, than you can be for one another, especially if loneliness and boredom are driving your Net life.

And, of course, God's word about how to relate in His love comes from God's own knowledge and experience. So, are we feeding on how God's word says to become and relate in His love?

"without complaining and disputing" (in Philippians 2:13-16)

"submitting to one another in the fear of God." (Ephesians 5:21)

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:7)

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it ok to befriend a person of the opposite sex to yourself, if you are married on FB and instagram?
And, is it ok, to comment on the way that they look, "to tell them they look pretty/handsome/cute?If you are not married to them?

we can be friends with anyone.

regarding the other ... what's the purpose of this? Would you likewise make a statement about one's looks if they were NOT pretty/handsome/cute?

Personally I don't think any comment about one's physical appearance is appropriate (outside of marriage). We are to look at what is inside a person ... not outside.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The first question depends on the context.

The second question makes me think the context of the first is shady.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Really?? Lol. No it’s not okay.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The trend of the answers seems pretty clear, wouldn't you say, Hannah?.

Here's my own answer.

It might be just barely okay for some people, but it's dangerous. We know that it is wrong to sin but it is also wrong to deliberately put oneself into a position where temptation can occur, possibly leading to sin.

And, as others have thought, it might be okay if severely limited and your husband is okay with you doing it, but when you introduce the idea of small talk about the other party looking handsome, you've gone beyond that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The people my husband and I speak to on Facebook are largely mutual friends/acquaintances.

One of our mutual friends whom we both respect and speak to is single and around the same age, but I avoid liking or commenting on any personal pictures of him or otherwise posts that seem too personal as he is a single man and appearances are everything.

The Bible tells us never to give even the appearance of impropriety and it's a good rule of thumb. Your first obligation is to God, your second to your husband and everything you do or say really does matter because people talk, so it's better not to give others any reason to talk about you unless it's something positive about Christ, your faith, or how it would be good to model your behavior and actions.

We are, in the end, Christ's ambassadors to the world.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Melody Suttles

SingPeace
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2018
Atlanta
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

IF IT WERE YOUR HUSBAND MEETING WOMEN ON FB, AND IF IT WERE HE THAT WAS MAKING COMMENTS REGARDING HER LOOKS .... REALLY... ?

THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS

NO! IT IS NEVER OKAY.

Upvote 0

Emsmom1

Nov 6, 2019
Los Angeles
✟41,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I am married and I have a friend on Facebook who is the opposite sex. We have lots of conversations via private messaging, mostly about religion and politics. My husband is fine with it. But we never flirt or say things about each others' appearances. I think that would be inappropriate.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
what is inside a person ... not outside.
"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

How do we look to God? How would He comment, if He talked with us on Facebook? :)

Actually, God does comment on what certain women looked like, in the Bible. But 1 Peter 3:4 talks about how He wants us to look, to Him.

So, it is good to guide people's attention where it belongs. I now think of this > yes, God could give enough description, for example about Abigail, but then we can read on to discover how she was as a person and how that was what really helped David. And I see how at the first moment his attention was to how she looked, but then when she stood up to him and helped rescue him from doing a very bad thing, he realized that how she was, deep inside herself, was what really mattered. So, her beauty could have been an object lesson of what did not need his attention.

The people my husband and I speak to on Facebook are largely mutual friends/acquaintances.
People who know each other can understand what is meant by what they say to each other. If you do not personally know someone well, possibly it is indeed good not to say what can be taken the wrong way.

There are love-seeking people who are counseled to use a profile photo which makes them look good . . . in order to make a good "first impression". But I see the possible problem of how this can cater to ones who evaluate by appearance, when Jesus says,

"'Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.'" (John 7:24)

So, I would say your attention needs to be to staying prayerful with someone you do not even know. And if you were to reach to someone on the Net, why not invite the person to join you with others who are Christians, and do not be in an isolated relationship? After all, in case marriage is not an option, the reason to share with you would be for fellowship, perhaps to help the person to Jesus . . . and this can be done well in sharing with ones you know are trustworthy to share with you and the person.

By the way . . . I now think of this while I am proofreading here > I see how ones can even get to know someone who is a genuinely Christian person on the Net, but when they discover the person won't marry them, they actually end the relationship. How ever, I consider, could you put away someone who is your own Christian brother or sister???? This person can help you get more with God, plus help you develop in how to relate in love, in preparation for whoever is meant for you . . . possibly.

Therefore, if someone tries to steer you to, or keeps insisting on isolating with you - - this I think could be a warning symptom.

So, Hannah, in any case, I would say if you share on the Net, this needs to be deeper than what someone looks like.

I avoid liking or commenting on any personal pictures of him or otherwise posts that seem too personal as he is a single man and appearances are everything.
I think this is good. I did not think of this, though I do not go around hunting for photos to like.

You are welcome to point out any way you disagree with me, or are concerned with how one could misunderstand anything I offered above.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums