Is it necessary to be a part of a Christian Church to be saved?

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was teaching in the temple during the week leading up to Passover. He and his disciples had been put out of synagogues and the chief priests were looking for a way to arrest him away from the crowd. They feared the crowd might riot. Jesus and his eleven disciples were spending the night hidden near the foot of the Mt. of Olives when he was arrested (according to tradition). What church did he attend? It is more important to do the works God recommends to you than to build an expensive edifice to pray and sing hymns in.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There can be mystics after all John recieved and wrote down an entire vision called Revelation . Paul was received up to the third heaven. The Eucharistic meal is a mystery and so on. But there must be discernment of the spirit. There are boundaries that cannot be crossed so if one aquires the gift of prophecy or tongues their message should conform to the gospel and what came before them.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Need the fellowship"...yes, but are you also saying it is necessary for salvation? At first it appears you are and then not so much.

I do not remember mentioning salvation. However, with that said, having fellowship and edification between your fellow christians goes a long way to, for lack of a better word off the top of my head, keep in line. By studying with each other, lifting each other up, helping each other out, etc etc.

One example is a fresh new christian would find it very tough and difficult to "remain faithful" standing alone by him/herself. Romans 1:12-15; 1 Thessalonians 5:11-15. Even so a long time christian that hits a road block in life. I would say, indirectly, it would help salvation. We do know from other verses that one can fall from grace/salvation Hebrews 6:4-6; 1 Timothy 4:1-3.

Continue reading my response to W2L as there might be information there I might not have given here that applies. Thank you.

Those actually dont mention salvation. I dont attend Church but daily i submit to the Lords leading. Some people sit in Church all the time and never follow the Lords leading. Church cannot save us, or cause us to follow the Lord. Only our own faith will do that. Sure, ideally, attending a Church like Paul governed would be a huge blessing, but how far has many Churches strayed from that Church?

Ideally i wished i could attend Church, but i cannot. My faith however is focused on heaven above. I walk by faith not sight. That means to focus on the eternal things as apposed to temporary things. I will not allow anyone to rob my salvation over something like Church attendance. What weak faith i would have if i did! I come here for fellowship.

I refer you to my reply to Kenny's post. With that said, by no means are christians condemned for NOT going to fellowship. However, Ephesians 2:19. Would you not think it weird or odd if a young child doesn't want to be at home with their family? When you become a christian, it is not an individual thing to do. God knows that people cannot make it into heaven just on their own. Reread Hebrews 10:23-25 please. You have a family to help you who may know the gospel better than you, watch your back, encourage you.

Take into account 1 Corinthians 11. Partaking of the Lords Supper is consistently portrayed as an act shared by all christians in a church. One fellow brother in Christ put it this way:

"It is a time for all who are under the same covenant to gather and remind themselves of the obligations they have placed themselves under and to share the common bond between them. "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread" (I Corinthians 10:16-17). That term we sometimes use for the Lord's Supper, "communion," means a sharing or a fellowship. You cannot share by yourself."

Read carefully Acts 2:42. They were devoted to fellowship.

again, "not forsaking the assembly". Hebrews 10:23-25

1 John 5:1-3 Love the brethren and become part of the family.

If your sick, God understands. If you are watching a sunday football game instead of service to your Lord, unacceptable.

This is what I mean about it being necessary.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not remember mentioning salvation. However, with that said, having fellowship and edification between your fellow christians goes a long way to, for lack of a better word off the top of my head, keep in line. By studying with each other, lifting each other up, helping each other out, etc etc.

One example is a fresh new christian would find it very tough and difficult to "remain faithful" standing alone by him/herself. Romans 1:12-15; 1 Thessalonians 5:11-15. Even so a long time christian that hits a road block in life. I would say, indirectly, it would help salvation. We do know from other verses that one can fall from grace/salvation Hebrews 6:4-6; 1 Timothy 4:1-3.

Continue reading my response to W2L as there might be information there I might not have given here that applies. Thank you.

I refer you to my reply to Kenny's post. With that said, by no means are christians condemned for NOT going to fellowship. However, Ephesians 2:19. Would you not think it weird or odd if a young child doesn't want to be at home with their family? When you become a christian, it is not an individual thing to do. God knows that people cannot make it into heaven just on their own. Reread Hebrews 10:23-25 please. You have a family to help you who may know the gospel better than you, watch your back, encourage you.

Take into account 1 Corinthians 11. Partaking of the Lords Supper is consistently portrayed as an act shared by all christians in a church. One fellow brother in Christ put it this way:

"It is a time for all who are under the same covenant to gather and remind themselves of the obligations they have placed themselves under and to share the common bond between them. "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread" (I Corinthians 10:16-17). That term we sometimes use for the Lord's Supper, "communion," means a sharing or a fellowship. You cannot share by yourself."

Read carefully Acts 2:42. They were devoted to fellowship.

again, "not forsaking the assembly". Hebrews 10:23-25

1 John 5:1-3 Love the brethren and become part of the family.

This is what I mean about it being necessary.
Some people cant attend Church. They however still find fellowship online.

Reactions: Mccleary
Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people cant attend Church. They however still find fellowship online.

Yes I know. We take our elderly communion since they are unable to attend physically to our meet.

They then get their fellowship then.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes I know. We take our elderly communion since they are unable to attend physically to our meet.

They then get their fellowship then.
I wish i had a Church denomination, so i could come online and argue about which church is the true church, then i could even condemn those who dont attend church. :)

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish i had a Church denomination, so i could come online and argue about which church is the true church, then i could even condemn those who dont attend church. :)
You dont know what you are missing. The judging and the condemning.....makes us feel more righteous. I can now make a list of good works to read off to God when i get to Heavens gates. Where is your list?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You dont know what you are missing. The judging and the condemning.....makes us feel more righteous. I can now make a list of good works to read off to God when i get to Heavens gates. Where is your list?
So its not enough for people to boast about their church attendance, but now you boast in works too?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So its not enough for people to boast about their church attendance, but now you boast in works too?
Maybe not outwardly, but we make mental notes. you know....I defended Christ here, Gave a homeless man 2 dollars there, gave 10% of my check over there...go to church this many times. Im telling you, I had enough pages to make a book. But dont become like us by judging us.... just pray for us. It is hard to come out of sin, if you dont even know you are in it..... Had we known....we would not have crucified our Lord.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe not outwardly, but we make mental notes. you know....I defended Christ here, Gave a homeless man 2 dollars there, gave 10% of my check over there...go to church this many times. Im telling you, I had enough pages to make a book. But dont become like us by judging us.... just pray for us. It is hard to come out of sin, if you dont even know you are in it..... Had we known....we would not have crucified our Lord.....
Im reminded of the parable of the tax collector and the pharisee.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish i had a Church denomination, so i could come online and argue about which church is the true church, then i could even condemn those who dont attend church.

Sarcasm and hypocrisy in one statement. You are on a roll. Anyway, denomination is "separate and apart from the original". I do not attend denominational faiths. I attend Christs church. Going online is just another means for people to help/teach people who earnestly are seeking it. Maybe even help someone see via scripture were they may be mistaken. For example, tons of people out there believe in OSAS doctrine. Should I just stand idly by and just let them or kindly refer them to verses that refute that idea?

I don't just do this online, but anywhere I can (phone,letters,face to face). It's not me you have a problem with. Since I have recited verses to you, really its the bible/God's word you seem to have a problem with. Again, all I have been doing is giving you verses.

Even with your sarcasm, I still thank you for your discussion with me sir.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Anyway, denomination is "separate and apart from the original". I do not attend denominational faiths. I attend Christs church.
Welcome to the club. At least half of the people here on CF say more-or-less the same thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So your church is the true Church then?

No sir, Christ's church, not mine, not Methodist, not Pentecostal, not Baptist, no such names like that. To suggest that the church of Christ is denominational is to suggest that it is one of many, or part of a whole, for example the same way that a dollar bill is one denomination of the US currency. The church you read about in the NT could never be classified as such. When the church came to be in 33AD no one asked the christians of that time what denomination they belonged to, for there was only one church. Ephesians 4:4 the "body" mentioned is the church. Colossians 1:18 therefore there is only one church.

While you and/or others, may seem to glory in there being many many denominations, the Lord prayed that all his followers would be one John 17:20-21. Paul spoke condemning divisions 1 Corinthians 1:10. We are neither Protestant, Jew, Catholic, but simply the church that Jesus established, the one for which he died Acts 20:28. Preaching the same gospel that was preached by the apostles and obeying the same conditions of salvation will reproduce the church of Christ in any period of time, in any place of the world. Are plea would be to keep/restore the original NT church and set aside those man made creeds and doctrines. We make the bible the only authority in all things religious.

Welcome to the club. At least half of the people here on CF say more-or-less the same thing.

And yet a great large portion follow man made creeds and doctrines not found in scripture like OS, infant baptism, OSAS, One Cuppers, the list goes on. So they "say" more or less but don't obey the bible and what it says. A hand full of verses in Matthew 7 comes to mind. I'm sure you know which.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No sir, Christ's church, not mine, not Methodist, not Pentecostal, not Baptist, no such names like that. To suggest that the church of Christ is denominational is to suggest that it is one of many, or part of a whole, for example the same way that a dollar bill is one denomination of the US currency. The church you read about in the NT could never be classified as such. When the church came to be in 33AD no one asked the christians of that time what denomination they belonged to, for there was only one church. Ephesians 4:4 the "body" mentioned is the church. Colossians 1:18 therefore there is only one church.

While you and/or others, may seem to glory in there being many many denominations, the Lord prayed that all his followers would be one John 17:20-21. Paul spoke condemning divisions 1 Corinthians 1:10. We are neither Protestant, Jew, Catholic, but simply the church that Jesus established, the one for which he died Acts 20:28. Preaching the same gospel that was preached by the apostles and obeying the same conditions of salvation will reproduce the church of Christ in any period of time, in any place of the world. Are plea would be to keep/restore the original NT church and set aside those man made creeds and doctrines. We make the bible the only authority in all things religious.

And yet a great large portion follow man made creeds and doctrines not found in scripture like OS, infant baptism, OSAS, One Cuppers, the list goes on. So they "say" more or less but don't obey the bible and what it says. A hand full of verses in Matthew 7 comes to mind. I'm sure you know which.
I dont glory in anything. Im just some guy who cant attend church, so i come here to find fellowship. However, people like yourself only make that difficult. You go to church on sunday, then come here and ruin fellowship for others, with your onechurchonlyism. I feel sorry for any poor sucker like myself who comes here for fellowship

Upvote 0