Is it necessary to be a part of a Christian Church to be saved?

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 10:25

The bible warns about not meeting with other Christians. Its not essential, but is definitely recommended that you are meeting with other Christians, whether in church or elsewhere but it should involve spiritual growth and teaching. Not meeting with others can lead to believers going astray with their beliefs.

• Agree
Reactions: DarthNeo
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Furthermore, Church is about worshipping God, but it's also clear that Christians are to serve their brothers and sisters in Christ (as well as unbelievers). From what I've found from reading Scriptures, it seems to be part of the Christian life. And just writing on the forums is perhaps a way of meeting up (though I do think it may be difficult to care for the people who are on the other side of the planet the way how one can care for someone who lives a few miles away).

I agree, and speaking of caring for people, lets not forget, it may be even more important to meet up and maybe even "Church" with people who need it the most. The lonely, the elderly that might need a little help, or whatever....kind of a two birds with one stone thing..teach/learn, and help.

Reactions: TurtleHugger
Upvote 0

TurtleHugger

Apr 16, 2017
USA
✟9,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, didn't think you mean a Hippie Church. lol, just something average.

I would have had comment on the mysticism thing but the way you described it, I saw no reason too. However, the term alone does at least get the attention of some of us.

If I were going to attend a meeting type church, the internet could suffice, best a small face to face gathering or small conventional church, but that's just me. Wild horses couldn't get me into one of these huge beautiful churches. No comments on why, but they just rub me wrong, and that doesn't mean there is necessarily something wrong with them.

Okay, we just have two slightly different opinions. I'd be careful to discount a church for being "average," but I know that some churches out there sometimes don't teach true doctrines or are too worldly or whatever. I'd just hope that if I select a church whether big or small, it would be done with discernment and guidance. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and one of the new things that I learned while reading is about Christian Mysticism.

Sometime in the late medieval period, a group of non church-going Christians came to be known as Christian Mystics. Christian Mystics are Christians who avoid the church and worship God by silent contemplation and private communion...

This got me thinking, maybe we don't need the church after all. Maybe all we need is a personal relationship with God and it will be enough.

What do you think?

Thank you.

Bee, your title: Is it necessary to be a part of a Christian Church to be saved?

Bee, was it necessary for Noah and his family to enter the Ark, in order to be saved?

Bee, if you answered, YES! then it is necessary to be in the Church Christ founded on Rock.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and one of the new things that I learned while reading is about Christian Mysticism.

Sometime in the late medieval period, a group of non church-going Christians came to be known as Christian Mystics. Christian Mystics are Christians who avoid the church and worship God by silent contemplation and private communion...

This got me thinking, maybe we don't need the church after all. Maybe all we need is a personal relationship with God and it will be enough.

What do you think?

Thank you.

1. No my evangelist of my church for example got saved at home and my assistant head pastor got saved in his car. SO salvation can be done independent of a church.

2. However, the bible makes it clear that you should be operating if possible with a group of believers with different gifts and abilities and learning more and seeking council and growing...and the best place for that tends to be a church. A church tends to have a collective of individuals with varying gifts in one place at once time. A church is also the best place to get refilling, encouraging messages straight from God, learning how to be holy, and sanctification.

Hebrews 10:25King James Version (KJV)
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Romans 12:

4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

3. The original pastor of FGHT dallas for example was self learned through God but eventually he ended up becoming a pastor of a church. He learned on his own with his own bible but he was led to as he did this eventually start an assembly of believers at his own house. And eventually move into a church building.

4. I know people that live in areas where there aren't true churches around but they at least watch live streams of churches and bible studies online.

Conclusion: To answer your question if you don't have a true church around then sure alone time is best, but eventually God will make a way for you to move and become part of a church body because that's what he wants us to do. HE doesn't want you to remain isolated, iron sharpens iron after all. However, will you go to hell for just being saved and then studying at your house? No unless God commanded you again and again to attend a certain church that's available in your area, and you ignored the call and things happened as a result of the disobedience then that's different.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What do you think?

My friend, it is very necessary. But don't take my word for it. Here is scripture:

1 John 1:7
Acts 2:42, 44, 46-47
Galatians 5:13
Romans 12
1 Corinthians 12

Lots to list. Way too much scriptural evidence stating that we need the fellowship. The greek word for church is ekklēsia "an assembly of Christians gathered for worship in a religious meeting" It has nothing to do with a building of wood or stone. Everything to do with your fellow brethren.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My friend, it is very necessary. But don't take my word for it. Here is scripture:

Romans 12
1 Corinthians 12

Lots to list. Way too much scriptural evidence stating that we need the fellowship. The greek word for church is ekklēsia "an assembly of Christians gathered for worship in a religious meeting" It has nothing to do with a building of wood or stone. Everything to do with your fellow brethren.

"Need the fellowship"...yes, but are you also saying it is necessary for salvation? At first it appears you are and then not so much.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Romans 12
1 Corinthians 12

Lots to list. Way too much scriptural evidence stating that we need the fellowship.
Those actually dont mention salvation. I dont attend Church but daily i submit to the Lords leading. Some people sit in Church all the time and never follow the Lords leading. Church cannot save us, or cause us to follow the Lord. Only our own faith will do that. Sure, ideally, attending a Church like Paul governed would be a huge blessing, but how far has many Churches strayed from that Church?

Ideally i wished i could attend Church, but i cannot. My faith however is focused on heaven above. I walk by faith not sight. That means to focus on the eternal things as apposed to temporary things. I will not allow anyone to rob my salvation over something like Church attendance. What weak faith i would have if i did! I come here for fellowship.

Reactions: Mccleary
Upvote 0

redstang281

Jan 4, 2002
Maryland
✟14,300.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like many people here have said, the "church" is actually not a building its the body of believers. So in Biblical terms you don't go to church you are the church.

That being said the Bible does say we need to get together with other believers on a regular basis. That's because we need the support of our fellow believers while living in this hard world and we need their help for spiritual growth. The early church did not meet once a week, they met all the time or possibly everyday and even lived together in some cases. There was no building they went to they just met in each others houses. They also didn't have one head Pastor.

It wasn't until hundreds of years after Christ that church buildings starting coming into place and people started associating our faith with a building. Now churches have become more like a business and many modern churches seem to be mostly focused on entertaining people with rock music and sermons about sports to make a profit. Many people think that going to church for an hour once a week is how you get to go to heaven. I prefer an organic church which is more in-line with how early believers met during the first few centuries after Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I agree with all those saying the church is not a building or location but the number of those who are true believers and followers of Jesus Christ.

with that said, the pastoral epistles would be meaningless if we could all just stay at home huddled up with our bibles.

the body of Christ is called to be together under the leadership of elders and receive the sacraments by these elders as well use the various spiritual giftings for the betterment of the body of Christ(1 Corinthians 11 and 12). preachers and teachers are there to preach the Word to the saints. hard to do that when everyone wants to stay home as an island to themselves. even with the early church meeting in each other's homes you had a person in that home assembly who was ordained to preach the word to that assembly. Paul went all around planting churches and assigning elders and deacons to those churches.

when revelation speaks of the 7 churches it isn't speaking of 7 individual people but congregations of believers who met regularly in specific areas.

in a situation where there isn't a bible believing/preaching church anywhere near you, an exception can be made in finding alternative ways to be fed spiritually. nevertheless, you can't love Christ and despise His wife.

Reactions: TurtleHugger
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with all those saying the church is not a building or location but the number of those who are true believers and followers of Jesus Christ.

with that said, the pastoral epistles would be meaningless if we could all just stay at home huddled up with our bibles.

the body of Christ is called to be together under the leadership of elders and receive the sacraments by these elders as well use the various spiritual giftings for the betterment of the body of Christ(1 Corinthians 11 and 12). preachers and teachers are there to preach the Word to the saints. hard to do that when everyone wants to stay home as an island to themselves. even with the early church meeting in each other's homes you had a person in that home assembly who was ordained to preach the word to that assembly. Paul went all around planting churches and assigning elders and deacons to those churches.

when revelation speaks of the 7 churches it isn't speaking of 7 individual people but congregations of believers who met regularly in specific areas.

in a situation where there isn't a bible believing/preaching church anywhere near you, an exception can be made in finding alternative ways to be fed spiritually. nevertheless, you can't love Christ and despise His wife.
Just because someone doesn't go to Church, this doesn't mean that they despise anyone. That would be faulty judgment based on no evidence

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Short answer: no.

Attending church service is not a Biblical prerequisite for salvation. It is, however, a wonderful way by which we may strengthen our faith and the faith of others around us. GirdYourLoins had an excellent response. I’ll post the relevant Bible verses below.

Hebrews 10:25-26

24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with what Albion said. It would be a mistake to see Christian mysticism as necessarily separating itself from the formal aspects of the Christian religion. In fact, some mystics lived intensely religious lives. Julian of Norwich, after her vision, lived the rest of her life as an anchorite in a cell, a small room, attached to a church.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Just because someone doesn't go to Church, this doesn't mean that they despise anyone. That would be faulty judgment based on no evidence

it means you despise the assembly of the saints, which is the bride of Christ. how can you love God and despise His wife? there's no reason for you not to be in attendance unless you are really in a situation where there is no bible believing church within several hours of you.

why would you refuse to attend the assembly of the saints at a local bible believing congregation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Paul was a mystical theologian. It may not be initially obvious but that is due to our cultural bias of considering mysticism on the periphery of religion. In fact the bulk of his theology is in fact mystical. It's so mystical that some biblical scholars see an entirely different emphasis in fact from the "ethical" Christianity of other epistles, or even some of the Gospel accounts.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

What do you think?

Thank you.

God wants the church to be here for some strange reason . . . perhaps these Christian mystics you admire would turn to God without a church being present, but it seems to me that the fact there is a church presenting His gospel means there are more of these Christian mystics around than would otherwise be around.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

What do you think?

Thank you.

The Church being the pillar and ground of truth is necessary. You cannot walk alone in Christ because in Christ's body (the church) there is a community which partakes of the same meal and common life and holds each other to account. Even the Mystics and Ascetics who isolated themselves, like Saint Anthony, never shunned the Church or communion with it. Athanasius interviewed Saint Anthony and Saint Anthony preached to those who came to him.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
it means you despise the assembly of the saints, which is the bride of Christ. how can you love God and despise His wife? there's no reason for you not to be in attendance unless you are really in a situation where there is no bible believing church within several hours of you.

why would you refuse to attend the assembly of the saints at a local bible believing congregation?
Its because i despise people. :) (sarcasm)

• Haha
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, being in fellowship with other believers(the church) is something the Lord says we are to do...Hebrews 10:25.
It's a matter of being obedient to God.

What do you think?

Thank you.

Over the ages there have been those who have chosen to worship God according to their own ideas, ways/traditions, philosophies etc....even though there's no scripture that shows that God has ever accepted "strange fire", disobedience, idolatry or lukewarmness etc.

Upvote 0