Is it necessary to be a part of a Christian Church to be saved?

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have to disagree. While many of the Gnostics were mystical, that isn't the whole of the history of mysticism. In addition, there are many figures in later Christian church history who were and are considered to be mystics. In that post of mine, I could have mentioned John of the Cross, for example, but I chose St. Paul because he's better known and came earlier.
The point I am trying to make is that the Gnostics, who were indeed enemies of the gospel, were considered mystics by most scholars. I have been in certain book stores... we have a "Half Price Books" near me... and I have seen Gnostic material passed off as legitimate works worthy of weighing in with Scripture. And while I don't suggest we turn a blind eye from anything, we also have to work up to being able to read some of this stuff without it potentially harming our walk. Discipleship should really take a few years and my fear is always somebody newer in the faith getting a hold of works like that and being bewitched just as so many brothers in the faith were about 1800 years ago.

Blessings.
Ken

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Salvation depends on an individual's relationship with the Lord concerning their trust in His work alone for the forgiveness of their sins, not in church membership. But you also won't find what you are looking for in mysticism either. You will open yourself up to the demonic realm. I recall when reading Thomas Merton's book on the subject years ago, him saying things along to lines of there being a level in the meditation where the evil spirits emerged and tried to kill him. Sounded like a huge red flag to me. I also read something by Thomas Keating where he described something similar.

True. Meditation is an invitation to demons.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True. Meditation is an invitation to demons.
In my view, that is too broad a usage of that word. One can meditate on God's word, I think I can show that in Scripture itself. But when one meditates to get in touch with their inner self... that is when doors can be opened that need to remain shut. :)

Upvote 0

keepuslord

Jun 17, 2013
Alabama
✟8,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and one of the new things that I learned while reading is about Christian Mysticism.

Sometime in the late medieval period, a group of non church-going Christians came to be known as Christian Mystics. Christian Mystics are Christians who avoid the church and worship God by silent contemplation and private communion...

This got me thinking, maybe we don't need the church after all. Maybe all we need is a personal relationship with God and it will be enough.

What do you think?

Thank you.
As soon as we're born again we become a part of the CHURCH which isn't a physical building but a spiritual building made by GOD.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As soon as we're born again we become a part of the CHURCH which isn't a physical building but a spiritual building made by GOD.
Agreed... although the assembly (church) which I agree, isn't a building... is also physical. You are real, I am real... as are all those who are part of the assembly/church... we are physical.

Reactions: keepuslord
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my view, that is too broad a usage of that word. One can meditate on God's word, I think I can show that in Scripture itself. But when one meditates to get in touch with their inner self... that is when doors can be opened that need to remain shut. :)
What is the difference between meditating on the word, and meditating to contact the inner self? And what door, in you, should not be opened? I thought there were only one.....Knock and it shall be opened?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What I meant by meditation is going into a trance in an attempt to uncover some hidden secret, or rehearsing a certain scripture over and over hoping for greater understanding without exploring any broader context.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between meditating on the word, and meditating to contact the inner self? And what door, in you, should not be opened? I thought there were only one.....Knock and it shall be opened?
I am speaking about new age mysticism where one might meditate in order to reach an inner spirit or even spirit guide for some transcendental event of some sort.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I meant by meditation is going into a trance in an attempt to uncover some hidden secret, or rehearsing a certain scripture over and over hoping for greater understanding without exploring any broader context.
Thanks for clarifying... I too was thinking of the difference between new age nonsense and meditating on the Word.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am speaking about new age mysticism where one might meditate in order to reach an inner spirit or even spirit guide for some transcendental event of some sort.
Do we know for sure that they are not one in the same.....Just named and explained differently. according to you, they contact a spirit guide... We contact the Holy spirit who leads and guides us into all true....sometimes I may listen for a still small voice....sometimes....in the silence i may get a feelings, like the moved of the holy spirit....like fire shut up in my bones. I am careful to not call things wrong just because they dont use my terminology or identify with my set of rules and religion.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TurtleHugger

Apr 16, 2017
USA
✟9,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, the Bible does say not to neglect meeting together, and that in the early Church, they had everything in common.
I wouldn't say that if you don't go to church you're not saved (Salvation isn't based off of how often you go to Church), but the Bible is pretty clear we need to meet up for the sake of ourselves and the sake of others. Part of loving God is doing what he wants us to do. How can we extend brotherly love to other Christians if we become hermits? (A little extreme, I know).
Of course, sometimes people are unable to meet up or a person might be the only Christian in a community, but generally, yes, a Christian should meet up with fellow believers regularly.
:)

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are saved, you are part of the church, it's unavoidable....and you needn't step foot in any "church" building or involve yourself with anyone but God/Christ, and the Holy Spirit. As I understand it the original term for Church just means the parts of the body of Christ, or put more simply...Christians, whether there be 1, 100 or 1,000 or more in any one place.

But that's not what you are referring to, still it's why I tell you no, you don't have to go to church. However the bible suggests we not forsake the gathering of ourselves together, like we are doing right now. And none of what I said is to say the gathering of Christians idea as "church" is not a good idea, it is. If you can find a good church you are comfortable with, buy all means go, If not, don't worry about it.

Better no church than one that doesn't teach the true word of God, and today there rare plenty like that out there.

Upvote 0

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
On the contrary, my friend. You can not call yourself a Christian if you are in fact NOT ADDED TO the Church. Understand what the word " Church " means.

The word “church” comes from the Greek word ekklesia which is defined as “an assembly” or “called-out ones.”

It is to say then that you don't " go to church "..you are in fact assembling with the church.

Acts 2:40-41 - And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, " Save yourselves from this crooked generation. " So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

Once you are added to the Church you are now part of the " House of God ". Basically, God's people is His House. And according to scripture..this is what it " looks like. "

Acts 2:42-47 - And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

It's hard now a days because the whole idea of church has been transformed to a stationary meeting " PLACE "...when that is not what the real church is that is described in the Scriptures.

For parable sake..church isn't a building...it's a gang. :)

Now we are playing semantics...

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do we know for sure that they are not one in the same.....Just named and explained differently. according to you, they contact a spirit guide... We contact the Holy spirit who leads and guides us into all true....sometimes I may listen for a still small voice....sometimes....in the silence i may get a feelings, like the moved of the holy spirit....like fire shut up in my bones. I am careful to not call things wrong just because they dont use my terminology or identify with my set of rules and religion.
If you know anything about transcendentalism and other new age practices, then you know my answer would be no. These "spirit guides" are often considered to be the spirits of the dead, spirits of animals, etc. This isn't of God or is at least outside of Scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and one of the new things that I learned while reading is about Christian Mysticism.

Sometime in the late medieval period, a group of non church-going Christians came to be known as Christian Mystics. Christian Mystics are Christians who avoid the church and worship God by silent contemplation and private communion...

This got me thinking, maybe we don't need the church after all. Maybe all we need is a personal relationship with God and it will be enough.

What do you think?

Thank you.
In Mt 16:18 Jesus said he would build his church, not a physical building, but indwelling within His followers. One doesn't have to be a member of a "local" church to be saved, and more than a baby has to live within a family to be born, but both sure help a lot.
There are all kinds of churches, that teach and do all kinds of things. Finding one that really agrees closely with God and His Word is the hard part. Read the New Testament, and get to know it well, and then choose a church based on what you learn. Stay away from "Christian Mysticism." It may be Mysticism, but it is not Christian. God has a purpose for His Church; see Mt 28:18-20. It is to evangelize the unsaved, and nurture the saved. We are the family of God, and are not meant to try to "go it alone." God has given each of us spiritual gifts to be used for the benefit of one another, 1Co 17:7. The original Greek word for "church" is "ecclesia." It means "called out assembly" and in relation to the church it is a called out assembly of believers/followers of Jesus Christ. Heb 10:24,25 says "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works; Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some (Christian Mystics) is; but exhorting one another; and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."

Upvote 0

TurtleHugger

Apr 16, 2017
USA
✟9,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you are saved, you are part of the church, it's unavoidable....and you needn't step foot in any "church" building or involve yourself with anyone but God/Christ, and the Holy Spirit. As I understand it the original term for Church just means the parts of the body of Christ, or put more simply...Christians, whether there be 1, 100 or 1,000 or more in any one place.

But that's not what you are referring to, still it's why I tell you no, you don't have to go to church. However the bible suggests we not forsake the gathering of ourselves together, like we are doing right now. And none of what I said is to say the gathering of Christians idea as "church" is not a good idea, it is. If you can find a good church you are comfortable with, buy all means go, If not, don't worry about it.

Better no church than one that doesn't teach the true word of God, and today there rare plenty like that out there.

I'm not necessarily saying go to some "hippie church", which is why I used the phrase "meet up" rather than using the word "Church". I agree. The Church isn't a mere building. All I was saying is that it seems obvious that we ought to meet with fellow believers in some way if it's at all possible (and probably not a "hippie church," but I don't know, maybe God could use someone to change that church- just a thought). I'm not saying if you don't attend Church you're not saved- salvation isn't based in works but on faith in Jesus Christ.
Furthermore, Church is about worshipping God, but it's also clear that Christians are to serve their brothers and sisters in Christ (as well as unbelievers). From what I've found from reading Scriptures, it seems to be part of the Christian life. And just writing on the forums is perhaps a way of meeting up (though I do think it may be difficult to care for the people who are on the other side of the planet the way how one can care for someone who lives a few miles away).
:)

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not necessarily saying go to some "hippie church", which is why I used the phrase "meet up" rather than using the word "Church". I agree.

No, didn't think you mean a Hippie Church. lol, just something average.

I would have had comment on the mysticism thing but the way you described it, I saw no reason too. However, the term alone does at least get the attention of some of us.

If I were going to attend a meeting type church, the internet could suffice, best a small face to face gathering or small conventional church, but that's just me. Wild horses couldn't get me into one of these huge beautiful churches. No comments on why, but they just rub me wrong, and that doesn't mean there is necessarily something wrong with them.

I just checked and see my post followed yours, TH, and your reply is fine, but the post wasn't really in reply to you but the OP. I should have made that clear with a quote.

Upvote 0

AspieforGod

My Brother is Jesus!
Apr 16, 2017
Exeter
✟11,790.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

What do you think?

Thank you.

I think that the point of Christianity or being a Christian IS to have a personal relationship with God and that church attendance is like the icing on the cake it's a place to find like minded individuals who will be a mini local community to help support each other. I think in the years since Jesus left earth we've got our priorities backwards because the local communities are IN OUR FACES but God is invisible so we tend to put what we can see first and God second.

I don't think it's a case of one or the other. You will always need to be in touch with God but you might need community at different points in your life for different situations and feel the need to be on yoir own at others. I think this is fine but a good idea to keep in touch with a local community because left to our own devices we can go off the rails and the community can be used as a life line to bring you back when you wade out to far. It's more flexible. The local community isn't the be all and end all. God is the be all and end all.

Upvote 0