Is it necessary to be a part of a Christian Church to be saved?

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and one of the new things that I learned while reading is about Christian Mysticism.

Sometime in the late medieval period, a group of non church-going Christians came to be known as Christian Mystics. Christian Mystics are Christians who avoid the church and worship God by silent contemplation and private communion...

This got me thinking, maybe we don't need the church after all. Maybe all we need is a personal relationship with God and it will be enough.

What do you think?

Thank you.

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Salvation depends on an individual's relationship with the Lord concerning their trust in His work alone for the forgiveness of their sins, not in church membership. But you also won't find what you are looking for in mysticism either. You will open yourself up to the demonic realm. I recall when reading Thomas Merton's book on the subject years ago, him saying things along to lines of there being a level in the meditation where the evil spirits emerged and tried to kill him. Sounded like a huge red flag to me. I also read something by Thomas Keating where he described something similar.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and one of the new things that I learned while reading is about Christian Mysticism.

Sometime in the late medieval period, a group of non church-going Christians came to be known as Christian Mystics. Christian Mystics are Christians who avoid the church and worship God by silent contemplation and private communion...

This got me thinking, maybe we don't need the church after all. Maybe all we need is a personal relationship with God and it will be enough.

What do you think?

Thank you.
No but not because mysticism is correct, I would personally avoid it. The bible is simply the Creator giving the created instructions on how to live and walk. When we go outside of that scope, and add to what His stated will is, we run the risk of reforming God into whatever image fits our own expectations and desires for a god. We are expected to conform to His will (He is "Lord" after all) not conform Him to our will. And I fear when we get into Christian or Jewish mysticism, or elevate science above His word, or use early books that clearly are Gnostic and stand in contrast to the character of the rest of Scripture.... that we will ultimately be led astray. That said, you don't need to be a member of a church but there are times in a year when God expects us to gather. We need fellowship from time to time in order to learn to function within a body/community... but also for accountability and so forth.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

What do you think?

There have been Christian Mystics throughout history. St. Paul was one, for example. The church has respected them but, at the same time, what you're thinking of means being completely on your own. This deprives you of the benefits of the sacraments and instruction in the faith as well as fellowship (which the New Testament goes so far as to say you must not forsake).

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its advisable that you go to church
Hebrew 10:25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

Hey, we are here altogether also as church arent we ???

Matt 18:20 For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them."

Dont try to learn mystics, its the devil, not Holy Spirit.

May Jesus bless you all HalleluYAH

• Agree
Reactions: Buggins
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There have been Christian Mystics throughout history. St. Paul was one, for example. The church has respected them but, at the same time, what you're thinking of means being completely on your own. This deprives you of the benefits of the sacraments and instruction in the faith as well as fellowship (which the New Testament goes so far as to say you must not forsake).
I am curious, why would you call Paul a mystic? He was a Jewish Pharisee trained at Beit Hillel which was known for teaching the spirit of the law. There was no Christian mysticism at that time, and really not a lot of Jewish mysticism either. Kabbalah for example, is arguably a year 1000 entity.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am curious, why would you call Paul a mystic? .
People who have studied his epistles see in them numerous references to views and insights typical of mystics. Most people read his letters for the more specific instructions he gave, however. 2 Corinthians 12:1-12 I think is an example,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am curious, why would you call Paul a mystic? He was a Jewish Pharisee trained at Beit Hillel which was known for teaching the spirit of the law. There was no Christian mysticism at that time, and really not a lot of Jewish mysticism either. Kabbalah for example, is arguably a year 1000 entity.
It would depend what you consider mysticism.....I actually see forms of it throughout the bible especially the OT. Its very danger to use a blanket statement "mysticism is of the devil"

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We attend church, not just to be preached at, or to sing, but chifly to whorship God with a group of other people.
You might find this a strange idea, but it is a foretaste of heaven.

Another reason is to encourage all those strange people who also attend the church you are a member of.
Being a Christian is a multi layer relationship that means blacks, whites, rich, poor, young, old, singles, married in short all of humanity mix in a building and get to know one another while
worshipping God and serving one another.

Seek a church that does this.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People who have studied his epistles see in them numerous references to views and insights typical of mystics. Most people read his letters for the more specific instructions he gave, however. 2 Corinthians 12:1-12 I think is an example,
It would depend what you consider mysticism.....I actually see forms of it throughout the bible especially the OT. Its very danger to use a blanket statement "mysticism is of the devil"

In fairness, this is a definition issue. When you use the term, if that means "Having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding," then of course I agree. But when we are dealing with what is known as "Jewish mysticism" or "Christian mysticism" we are dealing with esoteric Kabbalahlistic type forms of religion that is Gnostic (in that all depth is hidden and needing to be revealed) and I find that, while things are hidden by God in Scripture, that this as a formal practice opens the doors to allowing anything into the faith that fits our bias or currently theological understanding. For example... Jewish mysticism reveals an acceptance of the idea of reincarnation but this is clearly and only a reaction to Christianity that teaches about a resurrection and eternal life. If we are to be reincarnated, we don't need Messiah's work in terms of perfecting us. Yet through mysticism they have been able to combat the work of messiah.

My point is only that definitions are everything. If we are talking about God hiding and us finding... that is Scripture. But when we go beyond that and introduce new doctrine that cannot be found within Scripture, then we have crossed the line. And it is my experience to date that Jewish and Christian mysticism cross the line. Maybe that isn't the case for you two... and if so, so be it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In fairness, this is a definition issue. :)

Sure it is. There are different kinds of mystics, even "Christian mystics," and the term has evolved itself. But it's often observed that St. Paul was a mystic, so I mentioned him in order to say that the idea is not just a much later departure from traditional Christian belief and practice (as I thought was suggested in the OP).

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

What do you think?

Thank you.

Church is important for some people for certain reasons.

1. It promotes what is an acceptable Christian for the area of "we the people" of the area you live in.
2. It promotes social interaction and more healthy environment for persons to interact with "we the people" of the area you live in.
3. It may open up doors by interacting and getting to know others in your area.
4. It provides a place for children to be taught even when parents might not have the momentum to teach their children, "we can all be taught at the same time a church lesson".
5. It provides a lesson from another person, such that our inspiration is circumvented by the inspiration of another, this concept may be important to receive the inspiration of others.
6. Support of a local church is important if the church has a proper humanitarian program, ie: feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and providing for the homeless, etc.
7. It provides a place to receive of the Holy Ghost by the witnessing of many people together, miracles may abound more abundantly, etc.

There are surely other reasons, but that is just a few reasons for worshiping at a local church.

I would agree that mystic does not equate to evil, there are plenty of good people that don't go to church at all, but they're missing out on the Gifts of God I would say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Plain and simple, church membership is NOT required for salvation...

Why does every try to make things SO complicated?
Because people attempt to OVER simply this matter. There are numerous reasons why church attendance is meaningful.

Upvote 0

Angel Wings 1288

Feb 3, 2017
TX
✟29,884.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
The only condition that God requires for salvation is believe that Jesus is your savior, that he died for your sins, and that we are made whole by his sacrifice on the cross.

While belonging to a church isn’t necessary for achieving entry into heaven, it is still important to attend church weekly. By going to church every week, we hear the word of God and feel rejuvenated in spirit. Moreover, after achieving enlightenment through Christ, is it not unreasonable to give God just one hour of your time every Sunday?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Because people attempt to OVER simply this matter. There are numerous reasons why church attendance is meaningful.

Church attendance is practical, but NOT required for salvation...

The thief never went to church...

They guy who accepts Christ right before he dies never went to church...

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sure it is. There are different kinds of mystics, even "Christian mystics," and the term has evolved itself. But it's often observed that St. Paul was a mystic, so I mentioned him in order to say that the idea is not just a much later departure from traditional Christian belief and practice (as I thought was suggested in the OP).
That is where we don't agree. By the true definition of the word, you are correct... Paul often deals with abstract and hidden things but historically mysticism is tied to gnosticism which is why I reject the idea that Paul was one. But this is more semantics where you and I are concerned so not a big deal... at least between us.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Church attendance is practical, but NOT required for salvation...

The thief never went to church...

They guy who accepts Christ right before he dies never went to church...
Has someone here argued that church attendance is required for salvation? This claim seems like a strawman or a diversion to me.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is where we don't agree. By the true definition of the word, you are correct... Paul often deals with abstract and hidden things but historically mysticism is tied to gnosticism which is why I reject the idea that Paul was one. But this is more semantics where you and I are concerned so not a big deal... at least between us.
I have to disagree. While many of the Gnostics were mystical, that isn't the whole of the history of mysticism. In addition, there are many figures in later Christian church history who were and are considered to be mystics. In that post of mine, I could have mentioned John of the Cross, for example, but I chose St. Paul because he's better known and came earlier.

Upvote 0

JingshenBianxi

So Cool
Mar 16, 2017
Houston, TX
✟17,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

What do you think?

Thank you.

On the contrary, my friend. You can not call yourself a Christian if you are in fact NOT ADDED TO the Church. Understand what the word " Church " means.

The word “church” comes from the Greek word ekklesia which is defined as “an assembly” or “called-out ones.”

It is to say then that you don't " go to church "..you are in fact assembling with the church.

Acts 2:40-41 - And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, " Save yourselves from this crooked generation. " So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

Once you are added to the Church you are now part of the " House of God ". Basically, God's people is His House. And according to scripture..this is what it " looks like. "

Acts 2:42-47 - And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

It's hard now a days because the whole idea of church has been transformed to a stationary meeting " PLACE "...when that is not what the real church is that is described in the Scriptures.

For parable sake..church isn't a building...it's a gang. :)

Reactions: cantool
Upvote 0