Is it necessary or beneficial to discuss the details of past sin?

Healing with Jesus

merciful listener
Jun 5, 2014
USA
✟65,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good morning brothers and sisters,

I've been having a discussion with an online friend, and I'm trying to feel out what kind of believer he might be. It can be more difficult to discern the fruits of the spirit online, but I think it's possible with the Holy Spirit's guidance.

I have been sharing some details of a trial I've been going through, and mentioned that the Lord brought me to my knees after a period of sin. He helped me overcome and leave behind these areas of habitual sin one by one (praise the Lord :)) and while that's not to say I live without sin, these areas that once consumed me no longer have a hold on me. (I hope I am not overly confident in this: I recognize that my ability to stay out of sin is 100% dependent on my dependence on Jesus.)

So my friend asked me what my sins were. I immediately felt defensive and haven't written back yet. I took a moment to prayerfully ponder my defensiveness-- if this is because I'm being defensive in my flesh, or if my spirit is disturbed at the prospect of discussing past sin, with the possibility that I might not actually bring glory to God, but to the devil, the world, or my flesh as I describe the sins that once consumed me.

It a delicate balance. I've been trying to look at myself with compassion, as Jesus does, but at my actions as despicable, being that they separated me from God and put Him on the cross. Might I mention, sad to say, but I was a believer during my last period of succumbing to sin, so thank God that He brought me to my knees instead of allowing me to continue in that path. I know that I'm justified in my acceptance of his sacrifice, so I am bewildered at being asked to talk about things I've buried.

Not to say I don't occasionally process these things in a safe space-- I attend therapy for this sort of reason since my past has been riddled with both being victimized and committing habitual errors. I just don't know if spilling about them to someone whom I only sort of know, in a context where confidentiality isn't guaranteed, is really going to glorify the Lord...

Sometimes when I hear stories that focus on someone's past, I get distracted and end up thinking more about where they came from than where they are now, or where they're going...

What do you think?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Admitting sin to someone, even a well known person, can be difficult because it makes us vulnerable. The person we open up to could judge us, even if it is a Pastor or minister. After all they are human right?

But still scripture says to confess your sins to one another so you may be forgiven. Admitting sins by name is a Great way to get release from them. Anyone can say, I have sinned! It takes real courage to admit what sin has been committed.

I would say the defensiveness is really just your heart guarding itself from judgement.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi HWJ,

I would say that bythespirit could be correct as to your hesitancy to be open about the actual sin you have been involved in. However, I think that there are ways that you can express the kind of sin without a lot of specificity that might be what really makes you uncomfortable.

I have satisfied the sexual lust of my body through the temptation of inappropriate contentography. That's as explicit as I'm going to be about it. I have also overcome being quick to anger and I have a much stronger control over my tongue than I used to. That's my confession of my sin. I need not recount for anyone the specifics of satisfying my lust or the angry arguments or careless words I have spoken to confess the sin.

Perhaps you could consider how you might be able to confess your sin to your online friend in a way that wouldn't make you particularly uncomfortable.

You also asked if it would be helpful to do so? I think that, yes, we can use our experience with past troubles and sins to help others caught up in those same troubles and sins now. First of all, we can truly empathize with their feelings. Often times people who have never experienced a particular issue that one is struggling with, are seen as not being able to understand the feelings and emotions that the one struggling is dealing with. Those who have made it through the same struggles surely can empathize with them.

God bless you and I hope you will be a strength for your friend,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I've been having a discussion with an online friend, and I'm trying to feel out what kind of believer he might be. It can be more difficult to discern the fruits of the spirit online, but I think it's possible with the Holy Spirit's guidance.

I have been sharing some details of a trial I've been going through, and mentioned that the Lord brought me to my knees after a period of sin. He helped me overcome and leave behind these areas of habitual sin one by one (praise the Lord :)) and while that's not to say I live without sin, these areas that once consumed me no longer have a hold on me. (I hope I am not overly confident in this: I recognize that my ability to stay out of sin is 100% dependent on my dependence on Jesus.)

So my friend asked me what my sins were. I immediately felt defensive and haven't written back yet. I took a moment to prayerfully ponder my defensiveness-- if this is because I'm being defensive in my flesh, or if my spirit is disturbed at the prospect of discussing past sin, with the possibility that I might not actually bring glory to God, but to the devil, the world, or my flesh as I describe the sins that once consumed me.

It a delicate balance. I've been trying to look at myself with compassion, as Jesus does, but at my actions as despicable, being that they separated me from God and put Him on the cross. Might I mention, sad to say, but I was a believer during my last period of succumbing to sin, so thank God that He brought me to my knees instead of allowing me to continue in that path. I know that I'm justified in my acceptance of his sacrifice, so I am bewildered at being asked to talk about things I've buried.

Not to say I don't occasionally process these things in a safe space-- I attend therapy for this sort of reason since my past has been riddled with both being victimized and committing habitual errors. I just don't know if spilling about them to someone whom I only sort of know, in a context where confidentiality isn't guaranteed, is really going to glorify the Lord...

Sometimes when I hear stories that focus on someone's past, I get distracted and end up thinking more about where they came from than where they are now, or where they're going...

What do you think?

I also would be hesitant about responding to a brother/sister's request for information about my sins.

Few Christians are equipped to handle such revelations well. Some Christian groups will possibly broadcast ... or use such information against you in the future.

I would only divulge such information to someone that I know I can TRUST to handle it well (I.e. someone like a priest or minister).

Or ... I might reveal such failings/struggles, as led by the Spirit, ... to minister to another struggling brother.

I think that I would ask your online acquaintance "WHY ?" he/she wants to know ... as they haven't yet provided enough justification for such a request, in my view ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Healing with Jesus

merciful listener
Jun 5, 2014
USA
✟65,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi friends. Thank you for your insights. I just wanted to post a little followup of this situation.

I ended up letting the conversation fizzle out and did not immediately answer my friend's request for information about my past sin. We have since had subsequent conversations, and it became clear that this was not a case where it would have brought any glory to God to share my struggles.

I m glad I didn't tell him any more than I already did. In some situations, it may have been appropriate. But in this case, it seems that he was looking for a little dirt on me. Not for gossip, necessarily, but to satisfy his earthly curiosity.

Now, having had this experience, I think I would share my struggles with a fellow female, in an appropriate context, if it was as a testimony that could have the effect of showing how Jesus has brought me into the light. But, this was not the case in this instance.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the outcome. God bless you all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is it necessary as in required? No. Is it beneficial, for closure for yourself? Yes. Can you use your past to bring others to Christ? Yes. So...completely up to you but there are benefits.

Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,713.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi friends. Thank you for your insights. I just wanted to post a little followup of this situation.

I ended up letting the conversation fizzle out and did not immediately answer my friend's request for information about my past sin. We have since had subsequent conversations, and it became clear that this was not a case where it would have brought any glory to God to share my struggles.

I m glad I didn't tell him any more than I already did. In some situations, it may have been appropriate. But in this case, it seems that he was looking for a little dirt on me. Not for gossip, necessarily, but to satisfy his earthly curiosity.

Now, having had this experience, I think I would share my struggles with a fellow female, in an appropriate context, if it was as a testimony that could have the effect of showing how Jesus has brought me into the light. But, this was not the case in this instance.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the outcome. God bless you all.
It sounds like you have a good handle on it. Speaking of past sins can go either way depending on the situation.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

What do you think?
Once sins have been repented of and forgiveness gained, then God buries them in the deepest sea of His forgetfulness and puts up a sign, "No Fishing!"

This means that God doesn't know what you are talking about when you start discussing previous forgiven sins. They are the greatest non-issue of the gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I would be careful that online messages are not read by third parties. Some inquires are not needed, it should not entertain. I would use general terms and need to know why it is relevant first. Perhaps use encrypted mail, or paper.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Is it necessary as in required? No. Is it beneficial, for closure for yourself? Yes. Can you use your past to bring others to Christ? Yes. So...completely up to you but there are benefits.

Well said... Pastor Todd White does a wonderful job of using his 22 years as a drug addict to inspire all his listeners to want a "baptism of the Holy Spirit"..... so that we can reach the lost more effectively.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

What do you think?
I don't believe it's necessary to admit past/forgiven sins to another person. If you've sinned against that person then you confess your sins to them and seek their forgiveness. Other wise I don't feel it's good to keep dragging it out and exposing something that is covered in the blood of Yeshua. Also, being as you do not really know this person, scripture tell us to be warry of who we confess to. Now there might be times when God will lead you differently, but even then, "details" are not necessary.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There is a lot of wisdom in the verse: "Forgetting the things that are behind, we press into the future, toward the mark of the high calling of God in Christ."

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
There is a lot of wisdom in the verse: "Forgetting the things that are behind, we press into the future, toward the mark of the high calling of God in Christ."
I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically agree :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums