Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was suggested I put this in the advice forum so I am.

Is it my fault cause I swore?

I don't think I can take any more but I can't leave because I don't believe in divorce and it would give the name of Jesus a bad name. I am so tired.

I didn't swear for years but now in the past months I do swear ...Lord forgive me!!! But it's been a few years my husband has been calling me names, 4 months after we were married, like dumb stupid lazy useless, says other people think I am dumb too and most times I try to be quiet and not respond or would try to defend myself without retaliation. But I got angry tonight, it was too much.

He's said to me last year that he was disappointed in me and because he knows how the Lord thinks, the Lord is disappointed in me too. He often makes tick sounds with his tongue during the day in response to things I say or do, to show his disgust or disapproval.

I pray that my husband will forgive me for calling him names and that our marriage will be restored. I also prat that if necessary his mistreatment of me would be revealed to others but most importantly without me having to say a word or reveal anything so that I will not get blamed for revealing any thing.

I cannot go to anyone cause if he treats me bad like this for trivialities (it's not all the time though) I would be super afraid of what he in the privacy of our own home afterwards for something as big as going public with this. It would be over cause I would be too scared at that point

Pray please that he will appreciate me for who I am, that he would love me right. And stop calling me dumb stupid.

He used to call me names more often and worse, but he has improved and I believe in response to prayers on this forum before.

I get criticized for the way I speak, the way I eat (too fast), the way I drink (make too much noise), my weight, the way I do things... too often.... yet then he'll compliment me out of the blue, like he'll say he's proud of me.

Friday we were at the mall and he told me to wait in the driver seat for him to return, and to move the car if someone is behind me but to stay put .

A car came up to I drove forward and I turned the corner and a parking space was just becoming liberated. I waited a few minutes and texted him to let me know where I was when he comes out.

He was so angry that I was not waiting in front near the exit and got upset, called me stupid, dumb etc.... He said he only meant moving a foot of two to let cars pass.

I tried to explain myself but it didn't work.

So I opened the window cause I knew he would stop yelling at me and he did. Window goes up and he continues.

So at one point I angled my finger towards him and said he was a hypocrite. He grabbed my wrist so hard that it burned and 30 minutes later the pink imprint of my watch was still there on my skin. I went to church later trying not to burst into tears during the meeting.

He said I put my finger in his face and not to do that when he was driving. . But I was in the passenger side and could only angle my arm towards him up, maybe I was close.

He said because I opened the window to stop him yelling it showed him that I can betray him.

Tonight I did an excel sheet of all medical expenses. He started to yell at me cause i put notes in the 1st column, so I told him I will fix it. I removed them and resent him the file. Then he was upset because I had put all of the expenses even those covered by insurance on the sheet at 0.00 (I had highlighted those that we paid). I initially understood when he started yelling at me that he wanted them all at the nearest dollar but then understood he meant just put those expenses we were not reimbursed for. So he started yelling again and calling me stupid and dumb cause an accountant wouldn't need those figures. Saying he would give it to someone else to do. I said all he had to say was to remove the ones at 0.00 .....but I had put them all there as I was listing every one to be sure not to miss any.

He kept at it so much that I swore at him 3 times the f word and he came to where I was sitting and grabbed me by the shoulders hard and pushed me back in the chair and then grabbed my neck pushing it back. I have red marks on my shoulders, but a little bit red on my neck but nothing permanent and they are fading. The areas burn.

He said I was not saved cause I swore. When I told him I was not like this before he said yes you were ...it was in you all the time but it only came out now. Like it's being revealed now. How can anyone deal with being called stupid so many times.

I have to admit after he roughed me up I swore at him again a few times because I am so angry at being put down.. at one point after I said a swear word he looks up and said ."you hear her Lord"....as if I am the bad guy.

He took the computer off my desk, saying it was his and I had to put my stuff in a plastic container where it remains.

Afterwards last night he came to see me insisting that he didn't call me dumb or stupid and that I swore first then he called me dumb/stupid.

So I told him it didn't happen that way, that he called me dumb stupid first.

After me repeating the truth to him, he says " I said you were being dumb....."

So I kept on insisting that was not true and he starts raising his voice, calling me lazy and dumb and stupid ..again.

I help him at times with his work. He rarely helps me with things around the house. I make his meals, get his snacks, coffee water, do errands for him...but it's like he forgets. When I help him he's all appreciative then later I am lazy and do nothing again according to him.

Seriously is this a spiritual attack of some sort? What confusion!

He has grabbed me by the neck before when he was in the kitchen months ago. I threw a knife into the sink cause I was frustrated at what he was saying to me, into his precious sink, and he had grabbed me by the collar and twisted my sweater and pushed me back. I had some marks. But now he says I threw the knife at him which is not true cause he was diagonally in front of me and the sink was to his left about a foot or two away and I did a side throw into the sink.

I am so so so so tired of being called dumb and stupid.

No one would believe me and would probably blame me by saying I am not saved or that he married beneath him. If I said anything or revealed it he probably would tell everyone that I am not saved and an angel of light, something he's said to me before which really hurts and lie about things.

2 years ago I used to call prayer lines when he used to call me names but when he found out I called them he called me a spiritual whor.... so I promised him I would not call again.

I have seen him reveal things about people behind their backs which discredit them, making him the good gut but with me, if he discredits me publicly right now, it will bring him down too so he only does it to me in private.

He is so good at being kind, considerate outside the home. He knows the Word of God very well and prays beautifully and is highly respected by a lot of people, but not all.

I am the loser, the one with no talent or accomplishments that he married and as he says is blessed to be with him. He said other women we know would love to be in my shoes and starts naming them.

He's not evil but like me has areas he needs to work on. I have to stop swearing.

The devil would love for us to be divorced but I want to obey the Lord.

Last edited:

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He sounds abusive and manipulative to be honest. Granted, you're not perfect yourself but he's actually using physical violence against you + mental & emotional tactics such as guilt, denial, and the 'honeymoon phase' in which he'll say something nice out of the blue making you think he's changed somehow or that things are great. It's a vicious cycle. I know how you feel about divorce, but his actions may escalate to something..much more serious than it already is. I would continue praying as I'm sure you're already doing and to include for God to soften his heart and yours toward each other- that He will do a mighty work in your marriage and within your own selves as each of you have your own issues as all of us do. Sometimes you can love someone from a distance while you, yourself, allow the Lord to heal you from all the damage that's been done and to solidify and to know your worth in Christ Jesus.
56db9ac85dbdcd2e07c2618406de228c.jpg

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's not your fault even if you were stupid, which you are not. Your husband has serious issues. FWIW, someone who is walking with Jesus wouldn't act like him OK ? He might think he is walking with the Lord but his actions don't prove it. If he saw you as the Lord sees you he would come to love your little quirky things. I asked to see my wife as the Holy Spirit sees her and my wife does the same about me and we have found something nice to love more than before. Neither of us is perfect, far from it in many ways.

I'm praying for you. But honestly if you don't see something improve soon I suggest getting out of the house at least. There must be someone you can confide in who will maybe take you in for a while before this gets worse than it already is..

Upvote 0

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At one point I was hoping the Lord would speak to him,) and defend me, etc.... and it has gotten better in some ways. But last night I shamefully admit that I asked Him, "where are you? "

Everyone loves my husband and think he's the best. . When I hear people praise him and then say things along the lines paraphrase .. you are so blessed or you must be so happy to have a wonderful husband, I try to smile, and say something positive.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Colossians 4:6

“Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.”

You may feel like quickly saying something back, but maybe if you stopped for a moment and added seasoning to it that will make you seem more like the Christian wife that you are.
Your situation with your husband made me think of this verse. Here is a commentary section also on it. Hope it helps. There is a also a verse as to not devouring one another.
Galatians 5:15

“But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.”

Colossians 4:6 Commentaries: Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.

I have tried to keep my mouth from saying bad things back for years.....while he would call me names, i would not but try to defend myself. But everyday is difficult, I am getting tired of being put down and now my speech reflects that at times. After FrIday with my wrist hurting and him yelling at me , then everyday I do something that irritates him, then yesterday morning even my drinking noise was bothering him, then he was yelling cause of my notes in the margin, then for the 0.00.....I lost it and swore.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you are going through all this. I know there are denominations out there that interpret both physical and mental abuse as forms of abandonment, and therefore justification for divorce. Personally, I don't know if their understanding is accurate, as I haven't put any real effort into understanding it as of yet, but it might be something to keep in mind.

Reactions: Itsahappyday
Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So you think Colossians 4:6 doesn't apply to your husband?

You don't need to get a divorce, but you do need to get away from the toxic environment he has created in your home. This is not the way a husband, and certainly not a Christian husband, treats his wife. You know this, don't you?

The fact that he has physically hurt you should be a huge red flag. The constant belittling that he is doing is abusive. Time for counseling and bringing things out into the light where they can hopefully be healed.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
You have put up with emotional and physical abuse for years, and now you're upset because you said the F word a few times? I'm coming at this from a different perspective. If you do not get out, he will likely end up escalating to the point he will do serious harm or worse. A nurse I worked with years ago was in the same boat - her husband was nasty to her, and eventually he became violent with her, he pushed her one time so hard into the bathroom that she lost her footing and hit her head. He was so angry that he grabbed her hair and continued to pound her head into the floor. Her mother and children witnessed this incident, and the reason she never showed up at work that night is because she was dead.

Your husband is sinning against you - never mind that you might be sinning in response. There is a process for dealing with this that is biblical. First, you talk to him and let him know it's not okay to call you names. If he does not listen, then have a friend with you when you again set a boundary...this is a witness. If he still does not listen, take it to your pastor. It does not need to go "public" but can stay private with your witness and your pastor.

You fear retaliation, and rightly so, since this is an abusive situation. Find a woman's shelter or women's resource centre and tell them what is happening. They will help you to make plans for safety, and can help you to stay safe in case he comes looking for you.

I know that you do not believe in divorce, but God himself divorced Israel for a time, and he has made provision for situations like yours. www.divorcehope.com. It is not a sin to divorce. What your husband is doing to you is sin...he is destroying a beautiful and lovely daughter of the Almighty God. How dare he destroy God's very own creation!? How dare he bring you harm when he has promised to love you and care for you! How dare he insult God by saying he has created someone who is stupid and worthless! Ooooh that just makes my blood boil that he would presume to tell God that his creation sucks.

Get away from this man. Even if you do decide not to divorce him, please, please read the book Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend. Please start sending your husband the message that it is NOT okay to call you names, to push you around, to insult you, to yell at you, to mistreat you the way he does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was suggested I put this in the advice forum so I am.

Is it my fault cause I swore?

I don't think I can take any more but I can't leave because I don't believe in divorce and it would give the name of Jesus a bad name. I am so tired.

I didn't swear for years but now in the past months I do swear ...Lord forgive me!!! But it's been a few years my husband has been calling me names, 4 months after we were married, like dumb stupid lazy useless, says other people think I am dumb too and most times I try to be quiet and not respond or would try to defend myself without retaliation. But I got angry tonight, it was too much.

He's said to me last year that he was disappointed in me and because he knows how the Lord thinks, the Lord is disappointed in me too. He often makes tick sounds with his tongue during the day in response to things I say or do, to show his disgust or disapproval.

I pray that my husband will forgive me for calling him names and that our marriage will be restored. I also prat that if necessary his mistreatment of me would be revealed to others but most importantly without me having to say a word or reveal anything so that I will not get blamed for revealing any thing.

I cannot go to anyone cause if he treats me bad like this for trivialities (it's not all the time though) I would be super afraid of what he in the privacy of our own home afterwards for something as big as going public with this. It would be over cause I would be too scared at that point

Pray please that he will appreciate me for who I am, that he would love me right. And stop calling me dumb stupid.

He used to call me names more often and worse, but he has improved and I believe in response to prayers on this forum before.

I get criticized for the way I speak, the way I eat (too fast), the way I drink (make too much noise), my weight, the way I do things... too often.... yet then he'll compliment me out of the blue, like he'll say he's proud of me.

Friday we were at the mall and he told me to wait in the driver seat for him to return, and to move the car if someone is behind me but to stay put .

A car came up to I drove forward and I turned the corner and a parking space was just becoming liberated. I waited a few minutes and texted him to let me know where I was when he comes out.

He was so angry that I was not waiting in front near the exit and got upset, called me stupid, dumb etc.... He said he only meant moving a foot of two to let cars pass.

I tried to explain myself but it didn't work.

So I opened the window cause I knew he would stop yelling at me and he did. Window goes up and he continues.

So at one point I angled my finger towards him and said he was a hypocrite. He grabbed my wrist so hard that it burned and 30 minutes later the pink imprint of my watch was still there on my skin. I went to church later trying not to burst into tears during the meeting.

He said I put my finger in his face and not to do that when he was driving. . But I was in the passenger side and could only angle my arm towards him up, maybe I was close.

He said because I opened the window to stop him yelling it showed him that I can betray him.

Tonight I did an excel sheet of all medical expenses. He started to yell at me cause i put notes in the 1st column, so I told him I will fix it. I removed them and resent him the file. Then he was upset because I had put all of the expenses even those covered by insurance on the sheet at 0.00 (I had highlighted those that we paid). I initially understood when he started yelling at me that he wanted them all at the nearest dollar but then understood he meant just put those expenses we were not reimbursed for. So he started yelling again and calling me stupid and dumb cause an accountant wouldn't need those figures. Saying he would give it to someone else to do. I said all he had to say was to remove the ones at 0.00 .....but I had put them all there as I was listing every one to be sure not to miss any.

He kept at it so much that I swore at him 3 times the f word and he came to where I was sitting and grabbed me by the shoulders hard and pushed me back in the chair and then grabbed my neck pushing it back. I have red marks on my shoulders, but a little bit red on my neck but nothing permanent and they are fading. The areas burn.

He said I was not saved cause I swore. When I told him I was not like this before he said yes you were ...it was in you all the time but it only came out now. Like it's being revealed now. How can anyone deal with being called stupid so many times.

I have to admit after he roughed me up I swore at him again a few times because I am so angry at being put down.. at one point after I said a swear word he looks up and said ."you hear her Lord"....as if I am the bad guy.

He took the computer off my desk, saying it was his and I had to put my stuff in a plastic container where it remains.

Afterwards last night he came to see me insisting that he didn't call me dumb or stupid and that I swore first then he called me dumb/stupid.

So I told him it didn't happen that way, that he called me dumb stupid first.

After me repeating the truth to him, he says " I said you were being dumb....."

So I kept on insisting that was not true and he starts raising his voice, calling me lazy and dumb and stupid ..again.

I help him at times with his work. He rarely helps me with things around the house. I make his meals, get his snacks, coffee water, do errands for him...but it's like he forgets. When I help him he's all appreciative then later I am lazy and do nothing again according to him.

Seriously is this a spiritual attack of some sort? What confusion!

He has grabbed me by the neck before when he was in the kitchen months ago. I threw a knife into the sink cause I was frustrated at what he was saying to me, into his precious sink, and he had grabbed me by the collar and twisted my sweater and pushed me back. I had some marks. But now he says I threw the knife at him which is not true cause he was diagonally in front of me and the sink was to his left about a foot or two away and I did a side throw into the sink.

I am so so so so tired of being called dumb and stupid.

No one would believe me and would probably blame me by saying I am not saved or that he married beneath him. If I said anything or revealed it he probably would tell everyone that I am not saved and an angel of light, something he's said to me before which really hurts and lie about things.

2 years ago I used to call prayer lines when he used to call me names but when he found out I called them he called me a spiritual whor.... so I promised him I would not call again.

I have seen him reveal things about people behind their backs which discredit them, making him the good gut but with me, if he discredits me publicly right now, it will bring him down too so he only does it to me in private.

He is so good at being kind, considerate outside the home. He knows the Word of God very well and prays beautifully and is highly respected by a lot of people, but not all.

I am the loser, the one with no talent or accomplishments that he married and as he says is blessed to be with him. He said other women we know would love to be in my shoes and starts naming them.

He's not evil but like me has areas he needs to work on. I have to stop swearing.

The devil would love for us to be divorced but I want to obey the Lord.

I want you to spend a few minutes (perhaps only 2 or 3 even), and open your Bible (or use the link just below) and read in Matthew chapter 6 and learn the special prayer our Lord Christ gave you to pray, you and me, and all of us who follow Him. Learn this prayer, and pray it the way He says to pray it. Know that because you are actually praying the prayer Christ said to you to pray, you can believe that what you are asking for in the prayer will be given to you, and so you believe as you pray, as He told us to do in Mark chapter 11.

As you pray this prayer each day, your day will go much better than it would have, in some ways that matter deeply, even deeper than we can understand.

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6:5-15 - New International Version

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And also begin to spend at least a few minutes every day reading Christ's words to you in the gospels. Take your time. There is no rush. You will be learning words He said --

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Pause as you need to, to digest what He says to you, and let it into your heart. Some things are too deep to understand, but they affect us even when we don't fully understand them.

Some days I find I can only read a few verses, and I am so full I must stop, and let these words be all I have for a whole day.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have tried to keep my mouth from saying bad things back for years.....while he would call me names, i would not but try to defend myself. But everyday is difficult, I am getting tired of being put down and now my speech reflects that at times. After FrIday with my wrist hurting and him yelling at me , then everyday I do something that irritates him, then yesterday morning even my drinking noise was bothering him, then he was yelling cause of my notes in the margin, then for the 0.00.....I lost it and swore.
Incidentally there is no shame in letting someone know this is happening to you. You don't need to blab it all over town but one or two people to confide in actually should know it is going on.. And you are not alone, I've known of other women this has happened to and the husband looks like an angel, till someone is clued in and kind of watch. There are little signs everyone can see if they are aware.

It's oppression, you are living under oppression. That generally doesn't come from the heavenly places. But knowing this, could help arm you, so you can at least gain control of your emotions and mouth. I know that is difficult but swearing is the easy way out is all. At the same time it's no big surprise, oppression gets like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Leaving is not the same as divorce, and is clearly permitted in 1Cor 7. You might also read Dobson's Love Must be Tough, but do so without his knowledge or it may lose its effect.

Upvote 0

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you think Colossians 4:6 doesn't apply to your husband?

You don't need to get a divorce, but you do need to get away from the toxic environment he has created in your home. This is not the way a husband, and certainly not a Christian husband, treats his wife. You know this, don't you?

The fact that he has physically hurt you should be a huge red flag. The constant belittling that he is doing is abusive. Time for counseling and bringing things out into the light where they can hopefully be healed.

Oh sorry! I thought you gave that scripture for me, meaning that I am at fault cause my speech was not filled with grace, etc...

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh sorry! I thought you gave that scripture for me, meaning that I am at fault cause my speech was not filled with grace, etc...

See what he's done to you, you are expecting from others what you expect from him because he's drilled it into you.

Wish I could call him a few names right about now.

Upvote 0