Is it more important to value the Word of God over the US Constitution?

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread and the two other threads on the very same subject remind me of this quote:

“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”

I think that might actually happen if this country ever falls under a Christian theocracy. God forbid that it ever does because a theocracy will only bring chaos, ruin and devastation in its wake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
This thread and the two other threads on the very same subject remind me of this quote:

“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”

I think that might actually happen if this country ever falls under a Christian theocracy. God forbid that it ever does because a theocracy will only bring chaos, ruin and devastation in its wake.
foxe-spanish-inquisition-granger.jpg

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who actually wants to live under a theocracy is welcome to move to one. I will gladly pay for your plane ticket out of my country.

It's too bad for the OP that the Confederacy didn't win independence from the Union. I remember that the CSA Constitution, which has similar language to the US Constitution in many respects, does mention God in its Preamble:

We, the people of the Confederate States, each State acting in its sovereign and independent character, in order to form a permanent federal government, establish justice, insure domestic tranquillity, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Confederate States of America.

Avalon Project - Constitution of the Confederate States; March 11, 1861

Though that might not be enough for him, since there is no mention of Jesus. And it also repeats the language of the 1st Amendment verbatim in its Article I.

• Informative
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's too bad for the OP that the Confederacy didn't win independence from the Union. I remember that the CSA Constitution, which has similar language to the US Constitution in many respects, does mention God in its Preamble:

We, the people of the Confederate States, each State acting in its sovereign and independent character, in order to form a permanent federal government, establish justice, insure domestic tranquillity, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Confederate States of America.

Avalon Project - Constitution of the Confederate States; March 11, 1861

Though that might not be enough for him, since there is no mention of Jesus. And it also repeats the language of the 1st Amendment verbatim in its Article I.

Why did you suggest that I would want to live in a nation that practices slavery, JM? Slavery isn’t loving thy neighbor as thyself (Matthew 22:36-40).

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why did you suggest that I would want to live in a nation that practices slavery, JM? Slavery isn’t loving thy neighbor as thyself (Matthew 22:36-40).

You do live in a country that practiced slavery for 89 years and then after slavery was finally abolished in 1965, that same country systematically segregated and discriminated against the descendants of those freed slaves for the next 99 years until the Civil Rights Movement in 1964. You live in a country that once made it legal to consider a slave three-fifths of a human being. That's not even mentioning how this country has treated Native Americans and other minorites since its very inception.

You live in a country that spent 188 years of its 242 years of existence denying minorities civil rights and equality to white people. The Confederate States of America only had legalized slavery for 4 years but the United States of America had legalized slavery for 89 years and enforced the Jim Crow Laws.

It wasn't the Confederate States that claimed to have been founded upon freedom, liberty and justice for all either. So, please spare us your indignation against the Confederacy for allowing slavery.

• Winner
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Loving thy neighbor would include; not imposing your religion on them, in public schools.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Loving thy neighbor would include; not imposing your religion on them, in public schools.

I wouldn't allow my children to be in a school where a religion, Christianity or otherwise, was shoved down their throats by the teachers or other school faculty. I would take legal action, if I could.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You do live in a country that practiced slavery for 89 years and then after slavery was finally abolished in 1965, that same country systematically segregated and discriminated against the descendants of those freed slaves for the next 99 years until the Civil Rights Movement in 1964.

Time paradox...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
The person you're addressing, Junker P Hoodwink, has already asserted explicitly in another thread that the Spanish Inquisition was the epitome of a godly government action.
I see. Perhaps he can show his loyalty to his cause by volunteering to be first in line to be subject to an American Inquisition for supporting the Republican party, against the divinely appointed authority of royalty & royal law.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I see. Perhaps he can show his loyalty to his cause by volunteering to be first in line to be subject to an American Inquisition for supporting the Republican party, against the divinely appointed authority of royalty & royal law.
He's probably a loyalist holdout. England has a state church. Ironically though, England seems to be quite a bit less religious than America.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I disagree with the premise of your response. In reality, it's possible to have a state religion without it becoming corrupted. After all, the Word of God cannot be corrupted.
The framers of the constitution had the Church of England in mind. During the colonial period you were FORCED to tithe to the CoE on penalty of jail or death. Even if you were in another denomination like Presbyterian (aka Church of Scotland) or even Jewish.

That was what they were trying to avoid.

Upvote 0