Is it more important to value the Word of God over the US Constitution?

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Psalms 33:12: "Blessed is the nation whose god is the Lord."

1st Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Scripture tells us that it's important to make God the Lord of our nation, but the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution says that there shouldn't be a law respecting a particular religion. Do you believe it's more important to value the Word of God here, or the US Constitution?

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Constitution prohibits the establishment of religion, not to prohibit religion, but to keep it from becoming oppressed by a corrupt government-run religion, as in the days when the Roman government adopted Christianity as its official religion and corrupted it into that unrecognizable thing that it became.

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Constitution prohibits the establishment of religion, not to prohibit religion, but to keep it from becoming oppressed by a corrupt government-run religion, as in the days when the Roman government adopted Christianity as its official religion and corrupted it into that unrecognizable thing that it became.

I disagree with the premise of your response. In reality, it's possible to have a state religion without it becoming corrupted. After all, the Word of God cannot be corrupted.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Give me liberty to choose and follow my belief without imposing it on others, or give me death.

It may be important for you to follow God's word in your life, but forcing it on others is wrong and leads to strife. That is why the founders had the first amendment. They didn't want the religious wars that were happening on the european content.

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Give me liberty to choose and follow my belief without imposing it on others, or give me death.

It may be important for you to follow God's word in your life, but forcing it on others is wrong and leads to strife. That is why the founders had the first amendment. They didn't want the religious wars that were happening on the european content.

How is it even possible for a state-endorsed religion to lead to wars and conflicts?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I put God’s word above everything. With that said God’s word tells me to pray for and respect those put in authority over us. So I submit to the authorities up to the point it violates God’s word.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How is it even possible for a state-endorsed religion to lead to wars and conflicts?
You need to look up the thirty year war for a start.

There are lots of ways. A state endorsed religion is one step away from a state enforced religion.

Also, a state religion would bless anything the government does, making every war a religious war. And not being in the religion could be seen as traitorous, as some of my fellow Americans act like it is.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, to quote Frank Herbert:

When religion and politics travel in the same cart, the riders believe nothing can stand on their way. Their movements become headlong - faster and faster and faster. They put aside all thoughts of obstacles and forget the precipice does not show itself to the man a blind rush until it is too late.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Psalms 33:12: "Blessed is the nation whose god is the Lord."

1st Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Scripture tells us that it's important to make God the Lord of our nation, but the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution says that there shouldn't be a law respecting a particular religion. Do you believe it's more important to value the Word of God here, or the US Constitution?

Just curious...Where does scripture tell us that it's important to make God the Lord of our nation??

I'm not familiar with that passage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just curious...Where does scripture tell us that it's important to make God the Lord of our nation??

I'm not familiar with that passage.

Well, God is the Lord of our nation.

The question is: Which is our nation?

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. -- 1 Peter 2

This is something that anyone who has been in the military or a school sports team ought to recognize. This is the "team speech."

Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. -- Peter 2

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes the Founding Fathers wanted people to be free to follow their own religion or not follow a religion . They didn't want what they saw in Europe where one religion dominated everything and the head of state was a person .They said our rights are given by our Creator or higher power not by the state because who ever runs the state could take away your rights like we saw with communism . Most were Free Masons cause you had to belong to a secret society then to be able to learn about science , philosophy cause the church had burned all the books in Europe .

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Do you believe it's more important to value the Word of God here, or the US Constitution?
It's good to put into practice in one's private life what one values, and to give space to others to also practice what they themselves value, as long as all parties do not measurably trespass upon one another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And yet, there are thousands of denominations that disagree so much, many of them tried to kill eachother in bloody wars.

Matthew 22:36-40 says that the two greatest commandments from God are to love God and love your neighbor as yourself. You say that such verses can lead to wars. Explain how.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Because not 100% of your citizens are going to agree with said state-sponsored religion.
You are a catholic.

Imagine the religion of the state becomes Protestantism and by extension, you are prohibited by religious law to be a catholic and MUST convert to protestantism.

You'ld be fine with that?
And that's assuming the state religion is even a christian denomination to begin with, off course.

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Because not 100% of your citizens are going to agree with said state-sponsored religion.
You are a catholic.

Imagine the religion of the state becomes Protestantism and by extension, you are prohibited by religious law to be a catholic and MUST convert to protestantism.

You'ld be fine with that?
And that's assuming the state religion is even a christian denomination to begin with, off course.

I would be content with the United States publicly endorsing Christianity while not endorsing either Protestantism or Catholicism. It's important to put Christ first.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Matthew 22:36-40 says that the two greatest commandments from God are to love God and love your neighbor as yourself. You say that such verses can lead to wars. Explain how.

As a catholic, ask protestants how the christian religion has lead to war.

Also you might want to stop bearing false witness and claim that I said things that I never said.

Upvote 0