Virginia
✟15,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am really interested in the idea of starting a vinyl collection. I really love music. I want to build a collection of probably hundreds of vinyls. But the thing is... it'll cost lots of money. Not only would I have to spend money on vinyls, but I would also have to buy a turntable, speakers, and then spend money on maintenance. And I just question if it is really worth spending so much money on this hobby, or any hobby for that matter (or even possibly any luxury), whereas I can take that luxury money and donate to charities and such that would actually help people.

I am not a very materialistic person, but I really do love music. I have thought about this one a lot. This is a pretty general musing on how much luxury us "more fortunate" people are allowed to have, if at all, when the rest of the world is suffering from starvation, disease, lack of education, etc. I have thought about setting aside a percentage of my income specifically for charity (say maybe 30%) and the rest I keep for myself (and for bills, taxes, etc.). But then I also question if I can give 30% towards charity, then why not do 40%, 50%, or even more. Am I wrong for having any luxury at all?

Is it ethical for us to have hobbies? I want to get a Christian perspective on this question.

I would really appreciate if any of you guys can give me some insight into this.
Thank you.

Please accept the comment that answers your question.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anything done without faith, is sin. If you believe anything you are doing or want to do is wrong, then, to you, it is sin.

That being said, If you have a problem with luxury, feel free to pass them on to me....my spirit does not care about, nor disagrees with luxury.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like you have a generous heart. Don't burden yourself by thinking that you have to give such a high percentage to charity. Having outside interests is fine. It's possible too far, but you don't seem to be in danger of doing that.

• Agree
Reactions: 381465
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Anything done without faith, is sin. If you believe anything you are doing or want to do is wrong, then, to you, it is sin.

You're saying with the right faith, I could live like the children of Satan and still call myself a child of God?

That being said, If you have a problem with luxury, feel free to pass them on to me....my spirit does not care about, nor disagrees with luxury.

Unless you're starving or homeless, I don't think you'll get anything from him. OP explicitly stated, his generosity only extends to the extremely unfortunate in this world.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am really interested in the idea of starting a vinyl collection. I really love music. I want to build a collection of probably hundreds of vinyls. But the thing is... it'll cost lots of money. Not only would I have to spend money on vinyls, but I would also have to buy a turntable, speakers, and then spend money on maintenance. And I just question if it is really worth spending so much money on this hobby, or any hobby for that matter (or even possibly any luxury), whereas I can take that luxury money and donate to charities and such that would actually help people.

I am not a very materialistic person, but I really do love music. I have thought about this one a lot. This is a pretty general musing on how much luxury us "more fortunate" people are allowed to have, if at all, when the rest of the world is suffering from starvation, disease, lack of education, etc. I have thought about setting aside a percentage of my income specifically for charity (say maybe 30%) and the rest I keep for myself (and for bills, taxes, etc.). But then I also question if I can give 30% towards charity, then why not do 40%, 50%, or even more. Am I wrong for having any luxury at all?

Is it ethical for us to have hobbies? I want to get a Christian perspective on this question.

I would really appreciate if any of you guys can give me some insight into this.
Thank you.

If I maybe so blunt, looks like you have found yourself an idol.

Great move on being exceptionally generous though!

I'd hate to quote all the verses regarding luxury or comfort while living in this corrupt world, so I'm only quoting a few. According to Christ, it doesn't look good and a good life might actually forfeit your salvation:

John 12:25
Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

Luke 6:24
But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.

• Agree
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're saying with the right faith, I could live like the children of Satan and still call myself a child of God?
Im not saying anything.....I was quoting a bible verse. You, however, are stating your own personal feelings.....and there is nothing wrong with them

Unless you're starving or homeless, I don't think you'll get anything from him. OP explicitly stated, his generosity only extends to the extremely unfortunate in this world.

I will never be starving or homeless and will always be a a giver, because I am happy for those who are blessed with riches and have a desire to give to those who arent. If you try to develop these qualities, you too, will live in abundance. When you condemn the rich, you put yourself in the position you want them to be in...e.g. you condemn/judge yourself.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Great move on being exceptionally generous though!

I'd hate to quote all the verses regarding luxury or comfort while living in this corrupt world, so I'm only quoting a few. According to Christ, it doesn't look good and a good life might actually forfeit your salvation:

John 12:25
Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

Luke 6:24
But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.
The fact that you are quoting these verses and relating them to riches of this world, shows that you still love this life too much. Try to discern these versing spiritually and your life will change. The riches of this world means nothing......When this statement becomes a reality to you.....you will no longer care who has it and who doesn't....

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The fact that you are quoting these verses and relating them to riches of this world, shows that you still love this life too much. Try to discern these versing spiritually and your life will change. The riches of this world means nothing......When this statement becomes a reality to you.....you will no longer care who has it and who doesn't....

I used to believe in the same things you said there, I used to be Pentecostal for 20 years.

But I found something way bigger, the Truth.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to believe in the same things you said there, I used to be Pentecostal for 20 years.

But I found something way bigger, the Truth.
I use to be Pentecostal for 30 years...before i began my search for the truth. Strangely, I believed the things you state now BEFORE i started my search......And one of my strongest beliefs was: my interpretations of the scriptures were right and everyone else, who differed from mine, were wrong.

Truth sets free....it doesnt condemn. When you find this treasure, you have an unspeakable Joy, an indescribable peace. All feeling of desire and lack ceases. If your truth did not give you these feelings It might be wise to continue searching. But I see nothing wrong if you desire to remain as you are and look no further.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Thank you.

Dear "Brand New Person to the forum,"
Thanks for opening up with your first post this pressing moral dilemma.
Always do what you believe in your heart is the right thing to do.

James 4:17
Therefore, whoever knows the right thing to do, yet fails to do it, is guilty of sin.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.

I certainly think that it is ethical for christians to have hobbies, ... as it is a way that God blesses our lives as we walk/serve Him in this world. Hobbies are gifts of God that make our lives sweeter ... which may be USED by God at some future time in the accomplishment of His will (note David's love of music). I have found my hobbies particularly sustaining during times of struggle and pain in my life.

I, also, have had a lifelong love of music, among other things, ... and have been involved in christian music ministry for 40+ years now.

I would, however, suggest that you might consider the question of the wisdom involved in acquiring/maintaining a collection of vinyl.

Just about everything musically produced and recorded is now available electronically ... and the quality of these electronic recordings is, at least, as good as that which you would have in vinyl, and, in most cases, better.

I have a (small) collection of vinyl recordings, having grown up in that time period, ... but it becomes more and more difficult and expensive to maintain the equipment to playback these recordings as time goes on. So, I have given it up.

Fortunately, however, I have not missed any particular musical enjoyment due to that decision, due to the proliferation of available electronic music sourcing at this time.

Let God lead you as to how He wishes to bless you, ... and you will be blessed beyond compare ... and be effective in His service.

A fellow connoisseur ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

He never said he wanted to worship these vinyl records as a god. It appears Western Christians have been exposed to so much secularization that they don't know what true idolatry is anymore. Go to East Asia and walk into a Hindu temple, that is idol worship!

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.

Is it moral to have a hobby? Keep your mind busy or let it rot. A hobby is a good way to be a good steward of your gifts. I have a library that is worth more than my house. Can I take it with me? No. They why collect books? The knowledge contained in books is a treasure beyond compare.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with a couple of others in that:
  • just about anything that was on vinyl is now on Youtube, for example, and in most cases better than what you will find on vinyl, unless you want to pride yourself in being able to get the best vinyls you can,
  • having a hobby can be a healthy and great activity which can help you grow in many ways.
In addition, I add:
  • it can help provide an income and a conduit for you to connect and give of yourself to others
  • it can help you discover gifts, talents, and abilities (aptitudes) which you are not conscious of yet
  • it can help you organize your time and resources better
But it is very important that you not ever let a hobby take time, money resources due God, spouse and children; if it came to that then the hobby would then qualify as an idol. WE Christians can make idols out of many things-good and bad. A family, one's spouse, a house, a car/boat/bicycle/quad/etc, a watch, a vinyl or book or whatever collection, ceramic, wood carving, or leather craft, romance or sci-fi novels, or even word puzzles or coloring books and anything one can possess either tangible or intangible can all become idols. God gives us plenty of money and time of our own to have hobbies. We must solely determine within ourselves and with God what is appropriate considering our responsibilities and obligations and duties. Our Father in heaven wants us to enjoy ourselves as His children at our work, play, and leisure. We are stewards of ALL that He has given us, including our intangible assets which may produce tangible ones. Many people have come to change or determine the course of their life from having hobbies. If it becomes a preoccupation, I would only say, one should immediately stop and reevaluate their life in relation to God and others=their relationships.

Reactions: Denadii
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums