Is it mandatory to go to Church on Sunday?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it required? No. Is it a sin? No. BUT... the bible HIGHLY suggests you should be going. Its hard to fellowship if your never at a church. And without fellowship you won't learn alot or do much. Some for some chrisians their growth as a christian becomes slowed. I know because I made excuses to avoid church all the time in my past. I grew so far from God that it was sad.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To attend worship and give offering.
Not doing so is not pleasing to God?

This may be a question for some forum other than "Christian Advice," but I think your question is a worthy one.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Exodus 20
8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Matthew 5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 15:9
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark 7:7
Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Colossians 2:22
Which all are to perish with the using after the commandments and doctrines of men?

James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of our Fathers, 88th ed., pp. 89.

"But you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify."

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To attend worship and give offering.
Not doing so is not pleasing to God?

No, the bible does not mandate going to church on Sunday. What God does command is to remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy. That's an actual command you can find in the bible. But there is no command to go to church on Sunday.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, the bible does not mandate going to church on Sunday. What God does command is to remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy. That's an actual command you can find in the bible. But there is no command to go to church on Sunday.

...or on Saturday.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the closest thing to a mandate we can find for church attendance in the bible, apart from the examples of Jesus and the apostles.

Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

I don't consider this being as strong as a mandate but it is stronger than a suggestion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would agree. That's about all that supports the idea, and it's weak at best because it doesn't indicate any particular day and doesn't say a thing about doing it every Sunday (which is implied, I think, in the OP and demanded or expected by most denominations, whether Catholic or Protestant).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But most protestant's churches make it a norm to attend Sunday's service.
A good Christian will feel sorry to God if he/she does not go to church to worship God on Sunday and partake the Lord's Supper.
That's true, but the question was still worth considering. Is this mandated by Scripture? Not that I know of, unless we say that observant Jews went to synagogue on a regular basis and so we're continuing that pattern. The first Christians did continue to go to synagogue, we know, until they were forced out.

Upvote 0

Jesus_is_Saint

Sep 4, 2016
Malaysia
✟47,272.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Many churches are talking about Revival,
therefore going to church is mandatory.
If you believe in God and love God,
will you refrain from church?

Psalms 5:
7 But I, by your great mercy, will come into your house; in reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple.

We should feel eager to enter the house of the Lord.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Many churches are talking about Revival,
therefore going to church is mandatory.
If you believe in God and love God,
will you refrain from church?

Psalms 5:
7 But I, by your great mercy, will come into your house; in reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple.

We should feel eager to enter the house of the Lord.
Now we're talking about something that's different from the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The church be the body of believers... be faithful to keep in fellowship.

It seems to be that those believers in the bible gathered in they homes...they gathered outdoors, they gathered at the Temple...seems like the Temple was open 24/7??? cause that prophetess woman Anna be there day/night... that's in chapter 2 of Luke.

Upvote 0