• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is it just me, or are people checked out?

jisaiah6113

Oct 17, 2018
Arlington
✟16,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have a question. I am making an observation that seems so real to me, but I have a history of misjudging things because I am sensitive. It seems like the vast majority of people, whether Christians or not, are totally checked out. They seem completely glued to their smartphones, and unable to give or receive love unless it is through an app for 24 hours, then the other person is discarded. I would like to say I only see it in my family. Some people have a lot of emotional trauma, and for that reason have nothing to give. But I see it outside my family. I went on a date for three hours with an Orthodox Christian girl recently for three hours, and I never had the courtesy of hearing from her again, even though she has like 100 friends and is on her phone 12 hours a day. Even when Christian people do text me, I always respond but I never hear anything back. I just wonder if people lack the emotional stamina to operate in a world with a 24/7 news cycle, constant drama, full-time jobs, and home chores and caring for family. Maybe after all of that is done, they just don't have energy for anything else.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
never had the courtesy

These days courtesy is often sacrificed for convenience. And it is easier to dismiss people virtually than in person. Many of us are narcissistic and do not think beyond ourselves as the center of everything.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have a question. I am making an observation that seems so real to me, but I have a history of misjudging things because I am sensitive. It seems like the vast majority of people, whether Christians or not, are totally checked out. They seem completely glued to their smartphones, and unable to give or receive love unless it is through an app for 24 hours, then the other person is discarded. I would like to say I only see it in my family. Some people have a lot of emotional trauma, and for that reason have nothing to give. But I see it outside my family. I went on a date for three hours with an Orthodox Christian girl recently for three hours, and I never had the courtesy of hearing from her again, even though she has like 100 friends and is on her phone 12 hours a day. Even when Christian people do text me, I always respond but I never hear anything back. I just wonder if people lack the emotional stamina to operate in a world with a 24/7 news cycle, constant drama, full-time jobs, and home chores and caring for family. Maybe after all of that is done, they just don't have energy for anything else.

What you are describing in OP is real, but a product of our electronic times. Fran Leibovitz quipped (pre Covid) that she feels like the only person walking in NYC who is actually "there":

• Agree
Reactions: jisaiah6113
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Im lucky. I can take my truck out to the country find an old logging road and go way back on a hill top where there's no people and no cell service. It's so peaceful.

Upvote 0

jisaiah6113

Oct 17, 2018
Arlington
✟16,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I might be one of those people that checks out and just takes my car out to the wilderness to be refreshed by a book and nature. Life is just so precious. To think that I'm going to go into eternity having wasted tens of thousands of hours on technology is just a thought I can't bear. And yet I come to online forums to be heard, because no one in person will listen. Probably I'm just frequenting the wrong places. I find that 12 step groups are great ways to meet people who are real.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
If you were there, at about eleven in the morning, we could meditate together.

I always find time to rest, is what I am trying to say.

I think if we could trust each other, to maintain proper self-care, we would be going a long way - to celebrating God, even in the midst of our "busyness".

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
People in our world are increasingly shallow and self-absorbed. Message me. I will respond regularly. I know what you mean. It makes you feel like your opinions or thoughts don't mean anything- but they do.

Upvote 0