New Hampshire
✟10,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have a question. I think i know the answer but feel i need to ask. I became a Christian late in life. I am 62. When i was younger i thought about religion and would read a bit but fell out For many years i didn't think much about it and even though I was married with children I acted selfishly at times. The one thing that occurred from an early age were these feelings out of nowhere was a feeling i should go to church, read the bible etc. It's funny when i look back the one thing i was certain of was these feelings that i have ( or had) that came out of nowhere(so i thought) with nothing in particular setting it off. So one July 4th 2021 i attended a service. Something happened. I felt like I was were i was supposed to be. I attend weekly, and on the few times i didnt i watched the sermon online. I have attended classes. I believe in Christ. I count myself ( i can say that now with certainty) a Christian.

The issue? i still have a couple of sins i commit. I know it's wrong, occurs less often, but still occurs. Part of me says I am a work in progress. That years and years of habits etc are difficult to stop. That's the question, Why? When i do, there is guilt and then i feel like the last couple of years perhaps mean nothing, that i'm fooling myself. Then i go back to the bible and think i am on the right track and tell myself not to get discouraged. Has anyone struggled like this once they turn to,Christ. is this step forward, step backward normal? I do truly believe, that i know. But are the ups and downs ( much more ups) normal. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks...

• Prayers
Reactions: Yusuphhai

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I stand on this a lot.

1 Corinthians 10:13
13. There hath no temptation taken you but such as man can bear: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation make also the way of escape, that ye may be able to endure it.

I look for the escape that God always provides.

Reactions: AJHnh
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,117.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Look at a kitten that has been domesticated. Even in later life it may suddenly forget itself and bite or lash out, then immediately think "what did i just do.. sorry". It's in all of us to harbour the original sin of self interest that we were born with, our animal nature that struggles against the will of God .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a question. I think i know the answer but feel i need to ask. I became a Christian late in life. I am 62. When i was younger i thought about religion and would read a bit but fell out For many years i didn't think much about it and even though I was married with children I acted selfishly at times. The one thing that occurred from an early age were these feelings out of nowhere was a feeling i should go to church, read the bible etc. It's funny when i look back the one thing i was certain of was these feelings that i have ( or had) that came out of nowhere(so i thought) with nothing in particular setting it off. So one July 4th 2021 i attended a service. Something happened. I felt like I was were i was supposed to be. I attend weekly, and on the few times i didnt i watched the sermon online. I have attended classes. I believe in Christ. I count myself ( i can say that now with certainty) a Christian.

The issue? i still have a couple of sins i commit. I know it's wrong, occurs less often, but still occurs. Part of me says I am a work in progress. That years and years of habits etc are difficult to stop. That's the question, Why? When i do, there is guilt and then i feel like the last couple of years perhaps mean nothing, that i'm fooling myself. Then i go back to the bible and think i am on the right track and tell myself not to get discouraged. Has anyone struggled like this once they turn to,Christ. is this step forward, step backward normal? I do truly believe, that i know. But are the ups and downs ( much more ups) normal. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks...
Paul seemed to have the same problem and no one could doubt his faith.

Romans 7:15-20​

New International Version

15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.​

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are these unstated sins felonious?
  1. If not, keep going back to 1 John 1:9.
  2. Purge all accommodating materials whenever you repent of them.
  3. Talk to your pastor about how to deal with them.
  4. If they are of a sexual nature, see below.
If your unstated sins ARE felonious, get professional and/or legal help, along with the above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Though the struggle may rage, we must never give up the battle to see only goodness and righteousness manifest in our lives.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟606,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm 60 and have been a Christian my whole life and I still stumble at times. What God wants you to do is fight your sin, not give up and throw in the towel.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The flesh is weak but the Spirit is willing. Walk with His Holy Spirit daily.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hey.. I am 61. When I was young I was reading the word and in the margin it said if you heart convicts you you wont get anything from God. I got up told Him I quit. I told Him my heart convicts me 24/7 (of sin). I reach for the door and that sweet small voice asked me "what is righteousness?" I started to turn and said ok ok righteousness is right standing with God. He then asked me "how do you get righteousness?" I said by believing in Jesus. Then something happened.. it was like being blind then you could see I cried and cried.

See He was showing me how He sees me. He sees you through Christ what Christ did. We could live a sinless life and still its all rages to God. Its what Christ did and believing in Jesus we are not the righteousness of God. No believer can live this life with out Christ. In collage listening to the radio since there was no internet no cell phones lol and this preacher comes on says "I don't think anyone has sinned as much as me. Just get up dust off keep going". Yeah all of us get stuck in something in this life. What we "feel" we should do is run from God....NO! Run to Him.. see He will never condemn you. He reaches down picks you up reminding you... that is why He died. You ARE the righteousness of God you are righteous holy right now. So run to Him ask Him to help you.. then take your eyes off sin and on Him...faith. Luke 11:13.. if its written and He said it.. maybe just ask and believe and thank Him..

If we keep looking at the sin we get discouraged.. its why we put our eyes on Him. See in those moments we are trying to stop it fix it. That will never work. Though no sin can control us its still Him that gives us the power to say no. Remind Him to show you in those moments how to escape temptation. He made a way out ever time. There is nothing that comes to us (temptation) that we can't say no to. Know this.. nothing can control us unless we allow it. So get up dust off keep going. Repent and try to do a 180....not 360 but 180 :) We will never be perfect holy in this flesh. You are not your flesh. Paul said what I want to do I don't do. What I don't want to do I do. Its no longer I that sin but sin that is in me. You are a new creation created in Christ Jesus "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away. Behold, all things have become new!"

So we put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. You have the joy of the lord, you have the peace of God, you are strong in the lord in the power of His might. You put on the whole armor of GOD. On and on.. its never us ALL HIM! KNOW when you repent He forgives and cleanses you from all unrighteousness. The hard part is forgiving our selfs. He is not like man. He loves you so much.. ever time you fall... truly see Him and what hurts is.. He is smiling.. not mad not condemning you. Everyone else will leave you.. He never will. You alone are the reason He came. He did this for each one of us.

AJHnh
AJHnh
II spent some times reading today and over and over in several different passages it described how you sin, still sin etc. it refocused me ( as you did) that perfection is not possible nor the goal. It’s faith in Christ-I know I have that-or was provided that-so it’s a better day-thanks again
Upvote 0
Upvote 0