Is it impossible to lose your salvation?

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟399,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I just was curious about those posts online about people who have died that were Christian and experienced going to Hell. Do people really think that it’s all made up and you shouldn’t listen to those testimonies? Do people really think it’s impossible to lose your salvation? Cause there are many testimonies of people who have seen the names of some believers removed from the book of life due to backsliding and unrepentant sin.

Tell me what you think about all this, is it something that you just ignore and hope they’re wrong? Please explain what you do to convince yourself of the Once Saved Always Saved doctrine.

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I just was curious about those posts online about people who have died that were Christian and experienced going to Hell. Do people really think that it’s all made up and you shouldn’t listen to those testimonies? Do people really think it’s impossible to lose your salvation? Cause there are many testimonies of people who have seen the names of some believers removed from the book of life due to backsliding and unrepentant sin.

Tell me what you think about all this, is it something that you just ignore and hope they’re wrong? Please explain what you do to convince yourself of the Once Saved Always Saved doctrine.
I don't believe in the OSAS doctrine.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟399,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I don't try to convince myself of the once saved always saved doctrine because it isn't true. The new testament is filled with warnings against falling away. Going solely by the new testament once a person falls away through intentional sin or apostasy that person cannot return.

I cannot comment on someone else's experience with death.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I subscribe more to the we were born again by the Holy Spirit doctrine.

Since the covenant is based on Jesus Christ, people "losing their salvation" would mean Jesus is unfaithful and totally unreliable, which is absurd.

Losing your salvation is a tool pastors in various denominations use to make an appraisal based on people's works and how they live their life "if this person is saved" and then withdraw their approval at another time.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟399,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I don't try to convince myself of the once saved always saved doctrine because it isn't true. The new testament is filled with warnings against falling away. Going solely by the new testament once a person falls away through intentional sin or apostasy that person cannot return.

I cannot comment on someone else's experience with death.
Thanks for your input. I just posted this because I felt like some were calling me a legalist for why I believed what I did. Don’t get me wrong I do firmly believe that once you ask for forgiveness you move forward in your walk with God. and that it’s never too late to return to Christ He loves us and will always take us back if we do fall away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
just question how can someone lose there salvation then js?

In modern times a person who dies in mortal sin or a state of apostasy without availing themselves of the sacrament of reconciliation can be condemned. In the early Church that wasn't the case.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
In modern times a person who dies in mortal sin or a state of apostasy without availing themselves of the sacrament of reconciliation can be condemned. In the early Church that wasn't the case.
So if it wasn't necessary, it isn't necessary.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say it wasn't necessary. It wasn't available.
It's just that God doesn't show favoritism.

The sacraments are gifts, but God is accessible to all who are born again freely minus the lording it over hierarchy

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's just that God doesn't show favoritism.

The sacraments are gifts, but God is accessible to all who are born again freely minus the lording it over hierarchy

What does favoritism have to do with this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What does favoritism have to do with this?
Whatever was required of the early christians is our requirements today.

Whatever is required of people deprived of all sensory perception in this life is our requirements today.

it is our work to believe, like with the sacraments, God does it through us.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Whatever was required of the early christians is our requirements today.

Whatever is required of people deprived of all sensory perception in this life is our requirements today.

it is our work to believe, like with the sacraments, God does it through us.

What does the new testament say about a person who sins wilfully after becoming a Christian? Or a Christian who apostacizes?

Upvote 0

Gods not mad

Mar 31, 2019
united states
✟19,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1 when is the last time you watched inappropriate content?
2 when is the last time you lusted after a women?
3 when was the last time you have had fear and did not trust God to provide?
4 when was the last time you became angry with someone and wished harm or even death on them?
5 when was the last time you did not appreciate Gods hand in your life and complained against him?
6 when was the last time you put something before God and made Him second an idol lets say?
7 when was the last time you stole time from your employer?
8 have you gossiped about another in any way recently?
9 when was the last time you were not satisfied with what God has given you?
10 when was the last time you did not love another as Christ has loved you?
11 do you have the perfect SINLESS mind of Christ right now?
12 when is the last time you committed a sin and did not catch it or repent?
13 when was the last time you had an arrogant look
14 if you died after not perfectly repenting according to the "law" would you then have gone to hell?

15 how is salvation exactly lost then, your thoughts?
16 how do you personally repent?
17 what do you do to make things right with God in your theology if you perhaps sinned at some point and forgot?

17 questions if you can answer these perfectly i will consider that perhaps a man trying to accomplish the law by his own good works is something to look into. but for now i'll stick with the fact that i dont have the ability to save myself nor do i have a fully new mind or body and still will sin. how about lets start a conversation around your answers to these 17 questions.

be blessed

• Winner
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What does the new testament say about a person who sins wilfully after becoming a Christian? Or a Christian who apostacizes?
One string of passages implies they were never born again to begin with.

Another string implies a transformation occurred, but now they are worse off than before they knew the gospel.

Yet another string .. that thought is gone and replaced with the floating thought about crucifying christ afresh.

oh yeah ... the other thought through scripture was some went astray as a test for the true believers.

However, it is also written "God knows those who are His" and "Who are you to judge another man's servant?"

those are the passages that come to mind.

Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, it’s just nice to know I’m not the only Christian on CF that believes this way.
If you believe salvation or eternal life can be lost then it’s automatic you’re relying upon your righteous works as the basis for saving you in the end. So please tell me, where does Christ and His merits fall into your soteriology? The gospel teaches eternal life rest in Christ alone apart from mans works

Upvote 0