Fellowship Is it hypocritical to deny God speaking through others prophetically using a prophetic scripture?

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am kind of discouraged and yet not surprised at the number of people here who will deny modern Prophets exist and yet they quote scriptures using the prophetic word of the Bible to explain why they don't exist in today's world:scratch:.....and the scriptures they use often is that in the last days there will arise false prophets :eek:. Well it also said in the last days there will arise false teachers:confused:, false preacherso_O, and false witnesses.:oops: So on that basis of proving there are no prophets in modern day then they have pretty much just wiped out God's entire ministry and the order of the leadership of the church.

Let's face it: The teachings and interpretations of God's Holy Word has become quite a buffet of choices...a person can just try this flavor, or that flavor or maybe even combine them until they have found the one they like the best. The inconsistency from one person to the next about scripture is enough to cause any new believer to walk away more confused than when they first came here.

Then there is the "Holy" wars between one another on the threads over their differences of what the Bible says. And of course, everyone who replies has the right answer.

So in conclusion, what is the purpose of the Christian Forum and the thread topics of discussion? Is there anyone who joined that thread and commented who left changing their mind about what they believe and adopted someone else's? No, not hardly, in fact not only are their members striving against one another's beliefs but their is now anger, resentment and even words of hate spewing out at one another.

And oh how my heart breaks when a person creates a thread seeking advice for something they are struggling with in their life:oops:.......some of the replies resembled a rabid dog attacking a wounded child who couldn't defend themselves against a stuffed teddy bear:mad:.
I particularly like the ones (not) when a fellow Christian is suffering condemnation and fear and are seeking encouragement and instead get more condemnation and fear thrown at them.

So here is my mission statement: If you are not edifying, uplifting, encouraging, showing love and compassion, healing and praying in the humble spirit of Love...then I conclude that this is why people have come to see Christianity as nothing more than hypocrites who are puffed up with pride who show no mercy to the one who has fallen and needs help and who strive against a fellow believer whose beliefs or understanding is different?
The very word Christianity is defined as "Christ" like....hmmm. So to those who have walked away beaten, bruised and cast aside, please, please, please don't base your understanding of Jesus by the examples you have seen in some places.

There are genuine spirit-filled, men and women of God who only identify themselves as humble servants of God who are here to serve Him and reflect His love and compassion to the hurting, the lost, the oppressed, the rejected and the ones bound in captivity. I pray that your Abba, Father will put them in your path.

Okay I got away from the original topic but it just kind of flowed that way.....

I have mentioned no names, no threads, and no denominations....so please consider that I am fairly new, but I have observed a lot...been provoked to anger myself. Had to even stay away for a while until I could gain back the right attitude. I come here now because I have created a few wonderful bonds of fellowship and friendship and we are compatible in that we can agree to be corrected without being offended.

I am probably going to take another break...I need to spend time with my Father and let the Holy Spirit cleanse and refresh my spirit.

God Bless and Keep YOU...

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am kind of discouraged and yet not surprised at the number of people here who will deny modern Prophets exist and yet they quote scriptures using the prophetic word of the Bible to explain why they don't exist in today's world:scratch:.....and the scriptures they use often is that in the last days there will arise false prophets :eek:. Well it also said in the last days there will arise false teachers:confused:, false preacherso_O, and false witnesses.:oops: So on that basis of proving there are no prophets in modern day then they have pretty much just wiped out God's entire ministry and the order of the leadership of the church.

Let's face it: The teachings and interpretations of God's Holy Word has become quite a buffet of choices...a person can just try this flavor, or that flavor or maybe even combine them until they have found the one they like the best. The inconsistency from one person to the next about scripture is enough to cause any new believer to walk away more confused than when they first came here.

Then there is the "Holy" wars between one another on the threads over their differences of what the Bible says. And of course, everyone who replies has the right answer.

So in conclusion, what is the purpose of the Christian Forum and the thread topics of discussion? Is there anyone who joined that thread and commented who left changing their mind about what they believe and adopted someone else's? No, not hardly, in fact not only are their members striving against one another's beliefs but their is now anger, resentment and even words of hate spewing out at one another.

And oh how my heart breaks when a person creates a thread seeking advice for something they are struggling with in their life:oops:.......some of the replies resembled a rabid dog attacking a wounded child who couldn't defend themselves against a stuffed teddy bear:mad:.
I particularly like the ones (not) when a fellow Christian is suffering condemnation and fear and are seeking encouragement and instead get more condemnation and fear thrown at them.

So here is my mission statement: If you are not edifying, uplifting, encouraging, showing love and compassion, healing and praying in the humble spirit of Love...then I conclude that this is why people have come to see Christianity as nothing more than hypocrites who are puffed up with pride who show no mercy to the one who has fallen and needs help and who strive against a fellow believer whose beliefs or understanding is different?
The very word Christianity is defined as "Christ" like....hmmm. So to those who have walked away beaten, bruised and cast aside, please, please, please don't base your understanding of Jesus by the examples you have seen in some places.

There are genuine spirit-filled, men and women of God who only identify themselves as humble servants of God who are here to serve Him and reflect His love and compassion to the hurting, the lost, the oppressed, the rejected and the ones bound in captivity. I pray that your Abba, Father will put them in your path.

Okay I got away from the original topic but it just kind of flowed that way.....

I have mentioned no names, no threads, and no denominations....so please consider that I am fairly new, but I have observed a lot...been provoked to anger myself. Had to even stay away for a while until I could gain back the right attitude. I come here now because I have created a few wonderful bonds of fellowship and friendship and we are compatible in that we can agree to be corrected without being offended.

I am probably going to take another break...I need to spend time with my Father and let the Holy Spirit cleanse and refresh my spirit.

God Bless and Keep YOU...
All that the Prophets in the Old Testament and the Apostles in the New Testament had done is still being done by the Lord through the saints even today. What we call such saints is another matter. The Lord had prophesied and performed healing miracles through me in the past (I can't remember them though). Peace in Christ :).

• Friendly
Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So in conclusion, what is the purpose of the Christian Forum and the thread topics of discussion? Is there anyone who joined that thread and commented who left changing their mind about what they believe and adopted someone else's?

Dear Heart2soul, don't be discouraged. Take heart. There is more going on in the hearts of CF readers than meets the eye. Just as an example, many of the devotional threads and blogs do encourage others. And there are those who get great blessing simply by trying to formulate their thoughts.

And yes, on some threads I have learned new things and modified my views.

I find there to be a fine balance between having the confidence and assurance of conviction to defend a line of thinking, while at the same time being willing to learn and change an opinion. I have tried to express it this way in one of my blogs: "Learning is not only about adding knowledge and understanding, it may also be about replacing one certainty with another."

So here is my mission statement:

When you have spent time with your 'heavenly Father and let the Spirit cleanse and refresh your spirit' please read your "mission statement" again. I would really like to know what it is - what you wrote above I suspect wasn't exactly what you wanted to say about what you see as your role on CF (or even elsewhere). I could be wrong of course.

We are indeed to show love to one another, and we can do that in the way we communicate. We should always seek to hold "life-giving conversations," encouraging and building up one another, but few of us live up to all the shoulds in life.

Come back refreshed and join with others who try, however unsuccessfully, to be the change we'd like to see. Our Lord Jesus, who is our model and goal, never gives up on us in spite of dumb headedness. Let's try not to give up on one another.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am kind of discouraged and yet not surprised at the number of people here who will deny modern Prophets exist and yet they quote scriptures using the prophetic word of the Bible to explain why they don't exist in today's world:scratch:.....and the scriptures they use often is that in the last days there will arise false prophets

There were false prophets in Moses' time. That's why there were laws about them. Jeremiah spoke often about the false prophets that only predicted good times and success in war, and refused to see the connection between social lifestyle and welfare and domestic or regional politics and the longterm impacts of injustice. The God of Israel made it very clear from the beginning that peace and prosperity in the land was dependent on maintaining social justice, but the false prophets of Jeremiah's time refused to address the evils in their society. For the people in that time, the invading armies of Nebuchadnezzar must definitely have felt like "the last days." So this is nothing new.

Don't be so much alarmed by its existence. See it for what it is, and stand firm in your faith and in your knowledge of God's purpose.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
not surprised at the number of people here who will deny modern Prophets exist

Jesus told us that prophets were until John the baptist, no more prophets will be sent after that.

Luke 16:16 "The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John.

However there are Holy Spirit gifts of prophecy but the people with this gift should not necessarily call themselves as prophets.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Luke 16:16 "The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John.

It's advisable to see the whole passage here. Jesus is not saying that that John was the last prophet, rather he was comparing the old situation (with "the Law and the Prophets" - which we today call the Old Testament, even if it wasn't in its final form then) with the new - the preaching of the good news that Jesus himself preached. Look up other Bible translations and you'll see something like this:

Luke 16:16 (Common English Bible)
"Until John, there was only the Law and the Prophets. Since then, the good news of God’s kingdom is preached, and everyone is urged to enter it."

Many people think prophecy is mostly about predicting the future, looking into the unknown. In fact, much of it is a deeper assessment of the current situation, and based on God's word, proclaiming the automatic consequences. The OT prophets were mostly about exposing current wrongs in society - including what we would probably call "structural" or "systemic" wrongs. Incidentally, there were far more prophets in OT times than there are books of prophecy in the Old Testament.

The clearest example is probably Elijah, "prophesying" the drought when a series of Kings and ultimately Ahab let the Israelites away from God. Ahab's wife Jezebel was notorious for her forcing the worship of Baal on the people, and killing those who spoke up for the God of Israel

1Kings 17:1 (CEB)
Elijah from Tishbe, who was one of the settlers in Gilead, said to Ahab, “As surely as the Lord lives, Israel’s God, the one I serve, there will be neither dew nor rain these years unless I say so.”

In fact, he just told Ahab what God had said would happen in such circumstances to Moses:

Deuteronomy 11:16-17 (CEB)
But watch yourselves! Otherwise, your heart might be led astray so you stray away, serving other gods and worshipping them. Then the Lord’s anger would burn against you. He will close the sky up tight. There won’t be any rain, and the ground won’t yield any of its crops. You will quickly disappear off the wonderful land the Lord is giving to you.

Another prophet was Nathan, who apparently never wrote a book, who came to David and exposed his sin in killing Bathsehba's husband so he could cover up his adultery.

And incidentally, Heart2soul, it is exactly this type of prophet we are desperately in need of today!

• Winner
Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And incidentally, Heart2soul, it is exactly this type of prophet we are desperately in need of today!

Yes, and this is the role God has used me in, (which isn't really a comfortable one), but He also gives me visions and many times He has spoken through me to encourage and give instruction and direction.
The thing I remain certain about, whether I am a prophet or not, when God tells me to speak, I have to obey. When I see things in visions and He tells me to give this vision to that person, I do as He says. I made a mistake in the beginning of this calling and told God to never use me like that again, (the Holy Spirit spoke a warning to someone and that was the 1st time I was used to expose their sin and give a warning). Well, He didn't use me for several years after that. Then a minister crossed my path and spoke a Word to me addressing that....she said you can't tell God what He can say or what He can't say...it isn't for you it is for them. After that I learned to just be obedient and humble to allow Him to do what He needs to do.

As to this thread....it wasn't written in the spirit of love but rather in a "scolding" mentality. I woke up today and the Holy Spirit spoke to me and brought to my attention that I need to be disciplined to be under the anointing in matters such as this. So the very thing I was accusing others of I did that same thing here. I do humbly apologize and I am going to spend some time alone in prayer and allow Him to purge that attitude and to receive revelation and instruction about sharing in the forums.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear Heart2soul, don't be discouraged. Take heart. There is more going on in the hearts of CF readers than meets the eye. Just as an example, many of the devotional threads and blogs do encourage others. And there are those who get great blessing simply by trying to formulate their thoughts.

And yes, on some threads I have learned new things and modified my views.

I find there to be a fine balance between having the confidence and assurance of conviction to defend a line of thinking, while at the same time being willing to learn and change an opinion. I have tried to express it this way in one of my blogs: "Learning is not only about adding knowledge and understanding, it may also be about replacing one certainty with another."

When you have spent time with your 'heavenly Father and let the Spirit cleanse and refresh your spirit' please read your "mission statement" again. I would really like to know what it is - what you wrote above I suspect wasn't exactly what you wanted to say about what you see as your role on CF (or even elsewhere). I could be wrong of course.

We are indeed to show love to one another, and we can do that in the way we communicate. We should always seek to hold "life-giving conversations," encouraging and building up one another, but few of us live up to all the shoulds in life.

Come back refreshed and join with others who try, however unsuccessfully, to be the change we'd like to see. Our Lord Jesus, who is our model and goal, never gives up on us in spite of dumb headedness. Let's try not to give up on one another.

Oh I see what you mean about the mission statement! Well, truth be told, I didn't write this with the anointing of the Holy Spirit. It came out of my flesh and once again I need to let the that thing be purged from me.....I am guilty of the very thing I was frustrated with. So I have erred in writing this OP and please accept my apology and pray for me.
Your words were very encouraging however, thank you very much.
God Bless!

Upvote 0

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's advisable to see the whole passage here. Jesus is not saying that that John was the last prophet,

The 12 apostles never called themselves prophets and never other people called them prophets as well. There is however the gifts of Holy Spirit such as prophecy and vision, shouldnt necessarily call them prophets.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The 12 apostles never called themselves prophets and never other people called them prophets as well. There is however the gifts of Holy Spirit such as prophecy and vision, shouldnt necessarily call them prophets.

Why not? The authors of the New Testament had no problem referring to them as prophets:

Acts 11:27-28
And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch. And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.

Acts 13:1
Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.

1 Corinthians 12:28-29
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
....(same theme in Paul's writing)
1 Corinthians 14:32
And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

Ephesians 4:11
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

Ephesians 3:4-6 (CEB)
(when you read this, you’ll understand my insight into the secret plan about Christ). Earlier generations didn’t know this hidden plan that God has now revealed to his holy apostles and prophets through the Spirit. This plan is that the Gentiles would be coheirs and parts of the same body, and that they would share with the Jews in the promises of God in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

"never other people called them prophets as well" (R. Hartono)
Would you call the book of Revelation prophetic or not? It was written by the apostle John.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Prophetic is a central gift in the church, the first Century Church was built on Apostles and Prophets.

The issue I see is that modern day prophets think prophesy is fortune telling.
Agree, they are not representing the true office of the prophet. Most of what God has given me in prophecy for someone is either encouragement to continue...or warning to turn away from a sin in their life....at times, God gave a direction for a future (very near future) thing He wanted to put in their life. But mostly encouragement or warning.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Prophesying is so much more than “giving someone a word”. It is inspired utterances, true Biblical Prophets reveal the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Rev 19:10 For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

It is not fortune telling.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums