• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is it God speaking? or OCD?

ashp530

May 15, 2012
✟7,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I'm pretty sure I have OCD. A few months ago I thought I was doing well and didn't need to take meds anymore, so I took myself off of it cold turkey..I was unaware that this was really not a good idea. I have been having an awful time since about 3 weeks after taking myself off. All the thoughts I have had have been surrounding my fiance. Fearing that he was gay, and fearing he was a pedophile, and now fearing that God is telling me to leave him or I would be considering him an idol, and I love him more than God. My fiance has been a big help in me going through this time, although he wasn't convinced it was OCD but was thinking I'm going through a time of cleansing and healing from the past. I have been realizing a lot about my character and have been growing closer to God through this awful time, and my fiance and I have grown closer as well, but this last thought of me choosing my fiance over God is so scary and sounds so real, and I feel like I can't discern wether it's God's voice or OCD. And every time I read the Bible or listen to a sermon I feel like I'm either manipulating it to make it seem like God is telling me the worst, or He really is telling me, "if you don't leave your fiance I won't bless you, you must obey". has anyone else experienced this? Any advice?

kodadog1024

Aug 17, 2011
✟10,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I'm pretty sure I have OCD. A few months ago I thought I was doing well and didn't need to take meds anymore, so I took myself off of it cold turkey..I was unaware that this was really not a good idea. I have been having an awful time since about 3 weeks after taking myself off. All the thoughts I have had have been surrounding my fiance. Fearing that he was gay, and fearing he was a pedophile, and now fearing that God is telling me to leave him or I would be considering him an idol, and I love him more than God. My fiance has been a big help in me going through this time, although he wasn't convinced it was OCD but was thinking I'm going through a time of cleansing and healing from the past. I have been realizing a lot about my character and have been growing closer to God through this awful time, and my fiance and I have grown closer as well, but this last thought of me choosing my fiance over God is so scary and sounds so real, and I feel like I can't discern wether it's God's voice or OCD. And every time I read the Bible or listen to a sermon I feel like I'm either manipulating it to make it seem like God is telling me the worst, or He really is telling me, "if you don't leave your fiance I won't bless you, you must obey". has anyone else experienced this? Any advice?

^^^^ BAD BAD BAD Idea.....

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2012
✟7,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hey!

I had some issues too when I was engaged. I used to have a BIG fear of whether I made him an idol and then that turned into another fear of whether it was God's will.
The only way out of these crazy fears is the word of God.
If it does not line up with the BIBLE, forget it! Say no! Do not let it consume you, because it will turn into bondage.
These fears only steal our joy and make life miserable. Sorry girl. been there.
But I can say that the Lord has been my strength and that he DELIVERS and frees us!

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't have this particular form of OCD but I know others who have it. It's called "relationship OCD". You'll have to work hard to ignore those accusations and not ask for reassurance in regard to them or you'll be giving them validity and they'll seem all the more real.
Mitzi

Upvote 0

Leafar

Feb 6, 2017
Dominican Republic
✟15,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know is a little late, but anyway.

I never thought I would find the same question I have for several years. (Yeap, I still have it). To answer that question, I know what it feels, and is sorprising that I read I case like yours. (I would like find my case but who knows, in the future) She was fighting with the toughts of his boyfriend been infidel and gay. They passed for tough moments, and almost finished their relationship.

Long story short, in the end they find that was the OCD. And there was a treatment that really helped her. You could read the book "BrainLock: free yourself from obsessive-compulsive behavior" by Jeffrey M. Schawartz, M.D. this testimony is there and it could give you light on your hard situation.

I would like to know, how your situation ends, cause we are now in 2017. And know more about your case and share mine, and maybe we could help each other.

PD: Sorry if I made some mistakes in the grammar, I'm still learning English :p

God bless.

Upvote 0

BeftEv

Feb 11, 2019
Atlanta
✟18,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I know this is about 7 years after the fact, but I am really struggling with this with my boyfriend. He’s a great man, and I love him dearly but I almost feel like God is constantly beating me over the head demanding I break up with him. He is not the type of person I thought i would end up with, but I do appreciate everything about him more than the exact type of man I thought I would end up with. Would someone mind helping me with this??? I’m so anxious and depressed all the time and have had major OCD tendencies in the past. I don’t want to disobey, but I don’t want to give up something so amazing either. Help please

Upvote 0