Is it ever okay to tell people off and fight?

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I hold back on people cause the Jesus in me. Cause I seriously want to fight people half the time. I feel very guilty and have a hard time letting my anger fully explode on people or saying things back when people pick on me.

As a result I hold it in until I lose it and break things or go off on people.

I know man's righteousness is not God's righteousness and that sinful people can't help it and I'm suppose to be a light but man some of these people are down right evil and they pick fights.

And I myself am an African American woman and in my culture people trash talk a lot and are down right hateful. As in blacks picking on each other. I have to defend myself cause i get tired of hearing it from loud mouths...
I mean Jesus told off the Pharisees.

Is it ever okay to put people in their place when they are bulling you or others or to fight back physically?

They cuss you out and call you every name in the book and say sexually profane things about your family and friends and threaten you and dog you out I get real real tired of it. It's like if I see one more rude person at work or at the grocery store their catching hands.

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hold back on people cause the Jesus in me. Cause I seriously want to fight people half the time. I feel very guilty and have a hard time letting my anger fully explode on people or saying things back when people pick on me.

I know man's righteousness is not God's righteousness and that sinful people can't help it and I'm suppose to be a light but man some of these people are down right evil and they pick fights.

And I myself am an African American woman and in my culture people trash talk a lot and are down right hateful. As in blacks picking on each other. I have to defend myself cause i get tired of hearing it from loud mouths...

Is it ever okay to put people in their place when they are bulling you or others or to fight back physically?

They cuss you out and call you every name in the book and say sexually profane things about your family and friends and threaten you and dog you out I get real real tired of it. It's like if I see one more rude person at work or at the grocery store their catching hands.
I think Jesus understands that we must defend ourselves. If someone tries to beat you up you may have to fight back until you can get away from them and heal. I think Jesus understands that. If someone says something unkind to you, you can ignore them. It is also good to pray for your enemies.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Turn the other cheek.

Which of course is easier said than done. Our reactions are normal, but they are born from a type of pride. We can use the insults of others to train ourselves in humility, more quickly than through just about any other means. So they can actually be turned to our spiritual benefit.

But not if we get angry and tell them off, or smack them.

You might find some helpful wisdom in the Desert Fathers. At least things to tell yourself, ways to think, and how to pray for them, to begin to use these situations to change yourself. And just imagine, if you become so transformed, carrying the spirit of peace with you always, they will see Jesus when they look at you, and many will want what you have. Glory to God!

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus didn't give us that right. But, we are told in numerous places what happens if we choose to walk in the flesh. I would argue it is the Holy Spirit helping you restrain from what your flesh wants to do. Temptation is real. Stay the course.

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As you know, that's not the answer. Jesus was Spirit-directed. Yet, as you cite, He went off royally on the religious leaders, in Mt 23. He also got very real indeed with the moneychangers in the Temple, Jn 2. And Acts and some of the epistles show that Paul didn't back down when he was assailed. He even called down blindness on one guy, and he was not afraid to exert his authority over the churches, even calling down curses on some who opposed.

The normal state of the Christian is peace. We should be speaking the truth in love, and appealing to every man's conscience. And we should be yielding, turning the other cheek, etc. But it says, 'blessed are the peacemakers' - but not the peacekeepers. We should not be stuffing our frustrations. If people don't want to have peace, sometimes it takes a direct approach to get to them, or at least to establish boundaries, and sometimes the only way we can come to peace ourselves is to get it out. Don't feel bad if you have to do this, you're in very good company. But do it the right way, spirit-controlled, before your emotions get out of control, because that would be flesh, not spirit, and would not lead to peace.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

My standard proposal is to "sit down and shut up." That's how to deal with
police, but it would work in your example as well.

Psalm 11:5
The LORD tests the righteous and the wicked, And the one who loves violence His soul hates.

Proverbs 17:28
Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent.

Lamentations 3:28
Let him sit alone and be silent Since He has laid it on him.

Psalm 50:21
"These things you have done and I kept silence; You thought that I was just like you; I will reprove you and state the case in order before your eyes.

Job 34:29
When He keeps quiet, who then can condemn?

Isaiah 42:14
"I have kept silent for a long time, I have kept still and restrained Myself. Now like a woman in labor I will groan, I will both gasp and pant.

Exodus 14:14
The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”

Psalm 46:10
“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”

Proverbs 11:12
Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Psalm 4:4
Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah

Proverbs 18:13
If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame.

Proverbs 10:19
When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.

Job 6:24
“Teach me, and I will be silent; make me understand how I have gone astray.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
James 1:19-20
19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

I like this scripture, I know the bible scriptures are true.

Someone was making fun of another's disability and it's my disability as well. I've put up with harassment for 5 years from people and I had the opportunity to tell someone off so I did. I feel mixed feelings, guilt for what I said and also anger like I didn't do enough to get her back cause she's still a rude person.

I remember when Elisha called down a lion to eat kids for calling him bald and making fun of him.

I understand it's not my place, but how comes people in the bible got to fight back?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like this scripture, I know the bible scriptures are true.

Someone was making fun of another's disability and it's my disability as well. I've put up with harassment for 5 years from people and I had the opportunity to tell someone off so I did. I feel mixed feelings, guilt for what I said and also anger like I didn't do enough to get her back cause she's still a rude person.

I remember when Elisha called down a lion to eat kids for calling him bald and making fun of him.

I understand it's not my place, but how comes people in the bible got to fight back?
What you did is not wrong.....But remember, you are choosing your future treatment by your actions now. "Do unto other as you will have then do unto you".....is telling us this...... although most only take it as a command to just be good to others...

I like the story of Elijah......But also make note that , when he was sent back to the earth, he was sent to jail and beheaded........not saying that they are linked...Just making note.

Neither do I condemn thee....go and sin no more.

Upvote 0

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a retired police officer and I agree, it's hard to remain calm when people threaten and belittle you. But in confrontations, Ive found that remaining calm is best. It takes a lot of discipline and control but it's what God wants from us. That doesn't mean we remain in a situation or relationship where someone uses us as a doormat. If theres certain people who set me off I tend to avoid those places or people. Sometimes that's not possible.

Romans 12.17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[d] says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”[e]

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0