Is it ever ok to kill our enemies in the name of Jesus?

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Killing someone is not necessarily murdering someone.

1 John 3:12
not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother’s righteous.
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
1 John 3:15
Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

Someone who is an unrepentant murderer is what Apostle John is describing as being eternally dead, and saying hating your brother ( who is a saved christian) is as a an act of murder.

Upvote 0

SpeckOdust

Jan 24, 2017
U.K
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As Christians is it ok to kill our enemies ? Jesus told us to turn the other cheek, what if we are called to war or someone is trying to hurt our families?

The Heart of the matter IS The matter of The Heart. LOVE does no wilfull-harm to its Neighbour,but,LOVE protects its Loved-Ones and MUST sometimes confront Evil and Evildoers
(Not out of self-interest) with Force if it is absolutely necessary.The bottom-line,is that a True-Christian cannot be belligerent ,but,when faced with others' belligerence, should look first for a Peaceful resolution to the problem and actively seek the welfare of the other.(but may not always transpire that way in some circumstances and situations). Showing Respectful-Consideration, Empathy and Loving-Actions yield much Better-Results.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The commandment is better translated "Do not murder." Someone has already pointed out that not all killing is murder.

If someone presented a viable, immediate, physical danger, then yes, I would kill if I had to. If the only other alternative is to allow that threatening person to overcome me, or someone in my responsibility, or someone who cannot self-defend, then there would be loss of life either way. Might as well not be the innocent blood that ends up shed.

• Agree
Reactions: Kevin Ambrose
Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It counts on the situation, If someone is going to kill a person and there is a slight chance that that the victim is going to hell, I will not hesitate in killing the perpetrator. They have made their choice, but the victim has not, but as for self-defense Matthew 5:39 is referring to an serious insult, not to someone murdering you. If I allowed someone to murder another and I had the power to stop them and I do not. Then I have chosen inaction, and I am responsible for that murder as if I killed the innocent, Proverbs 6:17-18. As for me, I do open carry, I have a 44 Desert Eagle and a 45 1911 both intended to defend innocent blood.

As for Islam, keep in mind that the religion was founded by a man who wanted power at all costs. You can see this in each of the five pillars and the fact that he would have anyone executed for the slightest insult. I found that Muhammad was, with out question, a sex addict, a insecure man, and a tyrant to name a few of his shining qualities, they only go down from here.

Now if someone “offers” me the opportunity to become a martyr for Christ, I am Pushing my way to the front of that line. Dibs!!

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,317.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
In hoc signo vincesis a Latin phrase meaning "In this sign you will conquer" The historian bishop Eusebius of Caesaria states that Constantine was marching with his army, when he looked up to the sun and saw a cross of light above it, and with it the Greek words "(ἐν) τούτῳ νίκα" a phrase often rendered into Latin as in hoc signo vinces ("in this sign, you will conquer"). At first, Constantine did not know the meaning of the apparition, but on the following night, he had a dream in which Christ explained to him that he should use the sign of the cross against his enemies.

I believe that it was time that Christ put an end to the pagan Roman empire, and this is how it happened...
tancredi-scarpelli-the-emperor-constantine-seeing-the-sign-of-the-cross.jpg

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As Christians is it ok to kill our enemies ? Jesus told us to turn the other cheek, what if we are called to war or someone is trying to hurt our families?

IF someone is trying to kill your family say in the name of JESUS. IK a story about a women who just got a filling of the holy ghost and she was at a store and a robber came in with a gun and she said "JESUS" and he died on the spot the cops couldn't find nothing.

Now when it comes to war that gets complex especially with the political system we have in America. We have went to war (Iraq prime example) simply for resources before rather then a legitimate cause like some of the wars in the OT.

But yeah for sure when it comes to someone aiming a gun at you or family you don't respond by throwing a knife at him or whatever. And it's best to not join the army considering the controversial military operations recently, you might not be fighting for a good cause.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Scripture gives us the ability to protect ourselves, but I don't think we can find a place to justify aggression. The title of this subject, "in the name of Jesus," needs to be addressed though. In the Hebraic mind... which is important seeing the people who wrote the bible and Messiah himself were Hebrews... they saw "in the name of" as speaking of "in the character of" or "in the authority of" or "in the reputation of." So to kill "in the name of Jesus" would mean the killing we are doing is according to His authority or in a manner that adds to his reputation... or does not stand opposed to his character. Knowing this, I can't see anything beyond "protection of life" as being in his authority or not against his character. So my personal answer is no.

Blessings.
Ken

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Andy.. the word make this very clear. Take Israel.. ever have a battle? its never ok to do harm or kill. Yet to defend ones land, home country is not wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I mean anytime.
If the goverment of uk call me or my son up would I be willing to kill people who the goverment tell me to?
If a man broke into my house with a knife too, if I kill him have I condemned myself?
Just to be clear I'm very well trained in self defence techniques and have the power to take life very easily.
Just because I have this power doesn't mean I would but where does Jesus say it's ok to defend ourselves?
In each situation you named, above, the taking of another's life is permissible. You don't condemn yourself when you are acting in self-defense of yourself and family. I would kill anyone who attacked my wife or a member of our family. At the same time I would get down on my knees and thank God for His protection. I would also turn to 1 John 1:9.

Upvote 0

dfw69

Pre-Tribulation Pre- False Messianic Age
Nov 16, 2011
Dallas/Ft Worth
✟78,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I personally would never go to war but prefer to trust in my faith like Muhammad' Ali

If someone came to my house at night with a weapon in his hand to hurt my family I would shoot him in the knee and not try to kill him....

Reactions: S.O.J.I.A.
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Luke 14:31 (World English Bible) Or what king, as he goes to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends an envoy, and asks for conditions of peace.

Jesus and his disciples did not preach revolution, but risked their lives opposing corruption and wickedness. Jesus once picked up a whip and tipped over some tables. He did not have to take innocent life. How often people used excessive force and claimed it was self defense. It is better to set one's mind to works that are not murderous.

Some centurions were described as worthy of recognition in the New Testament. It is difficult to be a Christian soldier.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luke 14:31 (World English Bible) Or what king, as he goes to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends an envoy, and asks for conditions of peace.
Jesus and his disciples did not preach revolution, but risked their lives opposing corruption and wickedness. Jesus once picked up a whip and tipped over some tables. He did not have to take innocent life. How often people used excessive force and claimed it was self defense. It is better to set one's mind to works that are not murderous.
Some centurions were described as worthy of recognition in the New Testament. It is difficult to be a Christian soldier.
While it is somewhat difficult being a soldier and a Christian it is not impossible. I served two tours in Vietnam as a combat helicopter pilot. I was shot down 5 times, wounded once. I never did anything which violated scripture.
.....I was ordered to shoot on two occasions when I felt it was an unlawful order. I refused both times. The first I later realized I was wrong. The second I felt and feel that it would have been wrong to shoot. There was no adverse action taken against me either time.

Reactions: mcarmichael
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Is that the same as loving your enemies?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I personally would never go to war but prefer to trust in my faith like Muhammad' Ali
If someone came to my house at night with a weapon in his hand to hurt my family I would shoot him in the knee and not try to kill him..
That is an admirable position but my view is a criminal committing a crime, e.g. burglary with a gun/knife indicates a willingness to use that weapon. A criminal with a knife/gun, who has only been wounded, can still kill those he has attacked. When one counters a threat with force, they should proceed until the threat is neutralized. A criminal with a knife/gun who is only wounded is not neutralized.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Great question. Protecting our families & country is our right to fight for. Going out and seeking it, is not. Our consciences will let us know of it. As in God's Holy Word.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im not sure i even agree with the question. For me its not a case of whether its right or wrong to kill someone, it always wrong. I think it is more a case of is it ever possible to kill someone and it be justified.

For me, I'm not sure I could kill someone even in defense of my own life. If it was saving the life of my wife and kids I wouldnt hesitate if there was no other choice.

Upvote 0