Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As far as I know, many Muslims in the UK and even in Australia are quite icky about homosexual lifestyle, yet the authorities are trying to accommodate them, because they are a minority.

In 5he US, no group is accomodated more than christians.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Folau is a Polynesian and a lot of Rugby Union and league players are from Polynesian islands and have mixed cultures with NZ. They all have similar beliefs as their culture goes back to the missionaries coming to the South Pacific. So if anything there are a lot of players and people in general from these cultures that support Folau. Folau just happened to hare these beliefs on social media which is totally legal.

And yet having played against hundreds of Islanders and spoken to even more at Rugby events I have never heard a single one spew the hate Folau has repeatedly. That includes when my college hosted Church College of Hawaii on a tour of the mainland, talking to 4 Mormons who were actively seeking to convert anyone who would listen at the world sevens event held in Los Angeles and on a few of occasions sharing Kava with Islanders.

Funny how the rest of the Islander communities do not reflect the attitude of Folau.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You are entitled to your views,
You mean the view where all people should have equal rights under the law.
but I am glad that people with your views are becoming powerless
I'm sorry to hear that. Does it bother you in the least that your point of view aligns more closely with those who would welcome sharia law?

to impose them on the rest of the society.
I wont apologize for insisting on equal rights.

Just recently, in Australia Malcolm Turnbull's government has won the elections, and in the United States, we got Trump as President, hopefully he will win reelection next year. Keep that in mind.
Will do.

Upvote 0

Cash80

Site Supporter
May 21, 2007
chatswood
Visit site
✟65,120.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You mean the view where all people should have equal rights under the law.

I'm sorry to hear that. Does it bother you in the least that your point of view aligns more closely with those who would welcome sharia law?

I wont apologize for insisting on equal rights.

Will do.

Are you sure that you are promoting equal rights and not oppressive secularism similar to Communism as it was in former Soviet Union, where my family used to live and where preaching from the Bible used to be against the law?

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are you sure that you are promoting equal rights and not oppressive secularism similar to Communism as it was in former Soviet Union, where my family used to live and where preaching from the Bible used to be against the law?
Are you familiar with John Rawls example of the veil of ignorance?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Sounds like he is for equal rights to me.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Cash80

Site Supporter
May 21, 2007
chatswood
Visit site
✟65,120.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you familiar with John Rawls example of the veil of ignorance?
I am familiar with John Rawls's Theory of Justice and Law of Peoples, but I don't ever recall him advocating for punishing Christians for preaching from the Bible.

Sounds like he is for equal rights to me.
Except for the equal rights for evangelical Christians to freely exercise their religion and live according to their conscience.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I'm beginning to think the catchphrase "preaching from the bible" is just a nicer way of promoting bigotry in one's language, especially considering that there is not any agreement among Christians, or even bible scholars, concerning scriptural interpretation of various topics, including homosexuality. One might also notice that Jesus never even once found it important to make any mention of the topic, being far more concerned about how people treated each other. He even made a new commandment that sums up very nicely his requirements for discipleship in John 13:34.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am familiar with John Rawls's Theory of Justice and Law of Peoples, but I don't ever recall him advocating for punishing Christians for preaching from the Bible.

Depends what environment this preaching takes place. If a person shows up at work and starts preaching to their co workers, they have a problem. If this preaching is done in a church, your home or on some street corner, knock yourself out.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In America, no one is "punished" for preaching the gospel. They even allow it on the radio, tv and interwebz.

Even these idiots are allowed to preach in the US.
images

So, was post #744 reductio ad absurdum, then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Except for the equal rights for evangelical Christians to freely exercise their religion and live according to their conscience.

Who is keeping you from exercising your religion?

Are you allowed to attend the church of your choosing?
Are you allowed to teach your kids the religion you want?
Are you allowed to not allow anyone in your home you disagree with?
Is your church allowed to choose its own members?

You see, religious rights are not limitless. You cant do as you wish in public in the name of religious belief. All rights reach their limit, when they begin to infringe on the rights of others.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Cash80

Site Supporter
May 21, 2007
chatswood
Visit site
✟65,120.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In America, no one is "punished" for preaching the gospel. They even allow it on the radio, tv and interwebz.

Even these idiots are allowed to preach in the US.
images

So, was post #744 reductio ad absurdum, then?

It wasn't because in the Soviet Union, preaching from the Bible was grounds for expulsion from universities and denial of high-skilled jobs, besides being arrested. We are not like that yet, but certainly are moving into that direction.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Who is keeping you from exercising your religion?

Are you allowed to attend the church of your choosing?
Are you allowed to teach your kids the religion you want?
Are you allowed to not allow anyone in your home you disagree with?
Is your church allowed to choose its own members?

You see, religious rights are not limitless. You cant do as you wish in public in the name of religious belief. All rights reach their limit, when they begin to infringe on the rights of others.

It's weird...I very often work on church-related things out in very public places because I like being out in the community while getting things done, and sometimes I'll have open bibles, hymn books, etc. all over my table and not once have I ever been kicked out for reading, studying, working, or even talking to other people about the bible or churches or anything related to Christianity.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't because in the Soviet Union, preaching from the Bible was grounds from expulsion for universities and denial of high-skilled jobs, besides being arrested. We are not like that yet, but certainly are moving into that direction.
Oh spare me the persecution bit.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Besides I do not think people are so unaware of what the celebrations like Easter represent and people have accepted that for many years.
Easter is a celebration of fertility.

Eastre is the fertility goddess, hence the name Easter.
Bunnies and eggs are symbols of fertility, and it is appropriate that Easter is celebrated in Spring time (in the northern hemisphere) which is often when the flowers come and many animals give birth.

The Christians, repurposed Easter, creating a new back story which doesn't at all explain the name Easter or the symbols of bunnies and eggs. They aggressively stole many pagan celebrations, and at times imprisoned or killed many people who resisted their message.

I consider Easter to be a celebration of Spring time and fertility. But especially, I like the chocolate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cash80

Site Supporter
May 21, 2007
chatswood
Visit site
✟65,120.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's weird...I very often work on church-related things out in very public places because I like being out in the community while getting things done, and sometimes I'll have open bibles, hymn books, etc. all over my table and not once have I ever been kicked out for reading, studying, working, or even talking to other people about the bible or churches or anything related to Christianity.

Based on your earlier post, it is obvious that you intentionally omit certain passages from the Bible that contradict worldly views and you mischaracterize what Jesus's ministry was all about, in order to please the feelings of our culture instead of pleasing God. Preaching from the Bible that might hurt feelings of quite a lot of people is not infringing on their rights to live how they choose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Based on your earlier post, it is obvious that you intentionally omit certain passages from the Bible that contradict worldly views and you mischaracterize what Jesus's ministry was all about, in order to please the feelings of our culture instead of pleasing God.

Putting passages in their proper contexts is not omitting them.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Easter is a celebration of fertility.

Well, no.

Eastre is the fertility goddess

There is very little evidence that any such goddess existed. Just one unsupported comment in Bede

The Christians, repurposed Easter, creating a new back story which doesn't at all explain the name Easter

In most of the world, Easter is called by some derivative of the original Greek name "Pascha":

Eastermap.jpg

The eggs became associated with Easter because many people avoided eating them during Lent. The last eggs got used up on Mardi Gras (Pancake Tuesday), and being allowed to eat them again was part of the Easter festivities.

The bunny (originally a hare) is a German thing I've never understood.

The chocolate is from Mexico.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well, no.
The eggs became associated with Easter because many people avoided eating them during Lent. The last eggs got used up on Mardi Gras (Pancake Tuesday), and being allowed to eat them again was part of the Easter festivities.
Seems we have conflicting sources
The pagan roots of Easter | Heather McDougall

"All the fun things about Easter are pagan. Bunnies are a leftover from the pagan festival of Eostre, a great northern goddess whose symbol was a rabbit or hare. Exchange of eggs is an ancient custom, celebrated by many cultures. Hot cross buns are very ancient too. In the Old Testament we see the Israelites baking sweet buns for an idol, and religious leaders trying to put a stop to it. The early church clergy also tried to put a stop to sacred cakes being baked at Easter. In the end, in the face of defiant cake-baking pagan women, they gave up and blessed the cake instead."

Origin of Easter: From pagan rituals to bunnies and chocolate eggs
"Well, it turns out Easter actually began as a pagan festival celebrating spring in the Northern Hemisphere, long before the advent of Christianity."

"But in English-speaking countries, and in Germany, Easter takes its name from a pagan goddess from Anglo-Saxon England who was described in a book by the eighth-century English monk Bede.

"Eostre was a goddess of spring or renewal and that's why her feast is attached to the vernal equinox," Professor Cusack said.

"In Germany the festival is called Ostern, and the goddess is called Ostara.""

"Rabbits and eggs as ancient symbols of new life
Many of the pagan customs associated with the celebration of spring eventually became absorbed within Christianity as symbols of the resurrection of Jesus."

The Ancient Pagan Origins of Easter
"Most historians, including Biblical scholars, agree that Easter was originally a pagan festival. According to the New Unger’s Bible Dictionary: “The word Easter is of Saxon origin, Eastra, the goddess of spring, in whose honour sacrifices were offered about Passover time each year. By the eighth century Anglo–Saxons had adopted the name to designate the celebration of Christ’s resurrection.” However, even among those who maintain that Easter has pagan roots, there is some disagreement over which pagan tradition the festival emerged from."

"The most widely-practiced customs on Easter Sunday relate to the symbol of the rabbit (‘Easter bunny’) and the egg. As outlined previously, the rabbit was a symbol associated with Eostre, representing the beginning of Springtime. Likewise, the egg has come to represent Spring, fertility and renewal. In Germanic mythology, it is said that Ostara healed a wounded bird she found in the woods by changing it into a hare. Still partially a bird, the hare showed its gratitude to the goddess by laying eggs as gifts."

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Not everything on the Internet is true (if I had my way, that would be inscribed over the doorway of every school).

The only evidence for the existence of a goddess Ēostre is one line in Bede where he suggests that the month name Ēosturmōnaþ is derived from a goddess named Ēostre. Nobody else has ever mentioned her, and it's almost certain that Bede was mistaken.

Every single statement made about this alleged goddess is fiction. In particular, there is no evidence of any connection to rabbits.

In Germanic mythology, it is said that Ostara healed a wounded bird she found in the woods by changing it into a hare. Still partially a bird, the hare showed its gratitude to the goddess by laying eggs as gifts."

That particular story does not exist before the 19th century. It's a modern fiction.

Upvote 0