✟65,120.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I see it as the same as race

A person who is of a particular race cannot change their race.
A person who is of a particular sexuality cannot change their sexuality.
Plus
there is no inherent self harm of being of a particular race.
there is no inherent self harm of being of a particular sexuality.
Plus
There is no inherent society harm of being of a particular race.
There is no inherent society harm of being of a particular sexuality.

Being a drunk is different, as it is something that can change, it is something of harm to the self and of harm to society.

Equating sexuality with race as being something that people should not be discriminated against isn't a psychological tactic to persecute Bible-based Christians.
It's not about you. It's about them. (the gays). Stating that gays should be treated with respect and not judged and not oppressed isn't an attempt to persecute Bible based Christians. I don't know where you get that from.

If your beef with gay people is that god doesn't like it, well, if god is all powerful, then you don't need to stand up for god. Just leave it to god to deal with, don't concern yourself in this. You aren't god's enforcer. You aren't god. What does this have to do with you?

BTW I don't consider myself to be "Radical Left". I would say I am "centre right" in my country.

I believe that people can overcome homosexual temptations and live godly lives. There are multitudes of people who have done that. Even if people are born gay, the Bible says it's wrong to have homosexual sex, and preaching about it is part of the religious freedom, and when people are being punished for such preaching under the false guise of promoting tolerance and LGBT equality, it shows that our religious freedom to preach from the Bible is eroding and that's a problem. The Bible instructs us to preach, that's what it has to do with me. As for how disapproval of behavior does not mean hate, please, see my post above about my grandma and my motorcycling.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I believe that people can overcome homosexual temptations and live godly lives.
Non religious people don't want to live godly lives. That phrase is completely meaningless.
A homosexual can't become physically attracted to the opposite sex, just as you can't become physically attracted to the same sex.

And besides, what business is it of yours?

As for how disapproval of behavior does not mean hate, please, see my post above about my grandma and my motorcycling.
You just don't get it, and never will.

A bike isn't an intrinsic part of your self identity.

I'm sure there are days where you can say "I didn't ride a bike today"
A gay person can never say "I wasn't gay today"

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I believe that people can overcome homosexual temptations and live godly lives. There are multitudes of people who have done that. Even if people are born gay, the Bible says it's wrong to have homosexual sex, and preaching about it is part of the religious freedom, and when people are being punished for such preaching under the false guise of promoting tolerance and LGBT equality, it shows that our religious freedom to preach from the Bible is eroding and that's a problem. The Bible instructs us to preach, that's what it has to do with me. As for how disapproval of behavior does not mean hate, please, see my post above about my grandma and my motorcycling.
What would it take for you to “overcome” being heterosexual?

TBH, I don’t think you’ve given serious thought to what you’re saying. No offense, but you’re coming across extremely naive and ignorant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Okay, let's leave aside the persecution/discrimination subject for a while. Still, equating disapproval of a behavior with racism is unworkable. You know, I am a motorcyclist, but my grandmother hates it, and she thinks that riding a motorcycle is disgusting and psychotic, and she expressed that to me. Yet I know that my grandmother loves me unconditionally and she says those things because she means well for me. Every time I visit her, she cooks my favorite meals and whenever I have problems, she is the first person I bring it up, because she is capable of listening without judging. So, the same thing with Folau, when he said how much he disapproves of various behaviors, he meant well for those people, including homosexuals and alcoholics, because he loved them unconditionally.
You’re making this Folau guy seem more insufferable by the minute.

Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Cash80

Site Supporter
May 21, 2007
chatswood
Visit site
✟65,120.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Non religious people don't want to live godly lives. That phrase is completely meaningless.
A homosexual can't become physically attracted to the opposite sex, just as you can't become physically attracted to the same sex.

And besides, what business is it of yours?

You just don't get it, and never will.

A bike isn't an intrinsic part of your self identity.

I'm sure there are days where you can say "I didn't ride a bike today"
A gay person can never say "I wasn't gay today"

If you read my post as a whole, you'd notice that I said nothing about needing to overcome attraction. I was talking about sexual acts. You're basing your views off Sigmund Freud about intrinsic parts of our self-identities based on our sexual desires. But, did you know that even he considered homosexual desires to be unnatural?

During sunny weather a bike is part of my identity.
What would it take for you to “overcome” being heterosexual?

TBH, I don’t think no you’ve given serious thought to what you’re saying. No offense, but you’re coming across extremely naive and ignorant.

I don't need to overcome something that is natural. You are entitled to your views, but I am glad that people with your views are becoming powerless to impose them on the rest of the society. Just recently, in Australia Malcolm Turnbull's government has won the elections, and in the United States, we got Trump as President, hopefully he will win reelection next year. Keep that in mind.

Upvote 0

ThievingMagpie

Jun 5, 2018
London
✟64,205.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married

"Love the sinner, hate the sin" is a terrible PR tactic. It's a euphemism that means "we love you but hate who you are, if only you were like us."

If evangelical Christians are compelled to preach such messages then they shouldn't pursue careers where they function as spokespeople for organisations which promote inclusion. Likewise I work for central Government, but I wouldn't be surprised to be fired for tweeting out that the Tories are a bunch of pricks.

Upvote 0

Cash80

Site Supporter
May 21, 2007
chatswood
Visit site
✟65,120.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Natural means something you are born with. Freud did not consider homosexuality as something that people were born with. He attributed its occurrence among people due to environment conditions such as having an extremely doting overbearing mother and a distant father.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Natural means something you are born with. Freud did not consider homosexuality as something that people were born with. He attributed its occurrence among people due to environment conditions such as having an extremely doting overbearing mother and a distant father.
Sorry, i'm not particularly interested in Freud.

Is it unnatural to wear clothes?
unnatural to have adult teeth?
Is it unnatural to shake hands?
Unnatural to use a computer?
Unnatural to kiss?

I'd say that when I was born, I was asexual. Certainly didn't get interested in sexual relations until well after puberty. Does that mean that hetrosexuality is unnatural?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,273.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
So, are you saying that in democratic countries like the US and Australia, every time a Christian publicly preaches from the Bible that whoever does not accept Jesus Christ as his or her savior and that whoever is practicing homosexuality and won't stop it, will go to Hell, a Christian exercising his or her right guaranteed by the laws protecting religious freedom is discriminating against and demonstrating hate towards non-Christians and homosexuals?

Which is more important? If a person accepts Jesus Christ as their saviour and also practises homosexuality, are they more or less likely to go to Hell than a person who is not homosexual but does not accept Jesus as their saviour?

Upvote 0

Cash80

Site Supporter
May 21, 2007
chatswood
Visit site
✟65,120.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Which is more important? If a person accepts Jesus Christ as their saviour and also practises homosexuality, are they more or less likely to go to Hell than a person who is not homosexual but does not accept Jesus as their saviour?
Both are important.

Sorry, i'm not particularly interested in Freud.

Is it unnatural to wear clothes?
unnatural to have adult teeth?
Is it unnatural to shake hands?

Unnatural to use a computer?
Unnatural to kiss?

I'd say that when I was born, I was asexual. Certainly didn't get interested in sexual relations until well after puberty. Does that mean that heterosexuality is unnatural?

Look, homosexuality might be natural for some people, but for most it turns out that heterosexuality is natural, they both come during puberty. But, it really doesn't matter what is natural to different people in terms inclinations to do all kinds of things, it matters what needs to be about our inclinations. The Bible (Romans 3, in particular) teaches us that all humans since the fall of Adam, developed nature that is sinful, hence it might feel natural to do anything what is against God's will, but it also teaches that we need to resist that, by allowing Jesus Christ to transform us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
If I decided to open up a business, made it my mission statement that I was to treat all of my customers fairly and equitably and made a contractual obligation for my employees to do the same, then I would not be a happy bunny if one of them posted messages on social media telling my customers that they were going to hell. I do not agree with prejudice and discrimination of any kind and would have no hesitation in sacking someone who felt they had the right to do this sort of thing in my name. They can moan and squirm all they like, I do not want them working for me and damaging the relationship with my customers.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Look, homosexuality might be natural for some people, but for most it turns out that heterosexuality is natural, they both come during puberty.
People are diverse, we have many differences, preferences and tastes.
We don't need to try and assimilate everyone into our own mould.
Can't we just do our best to get along. Respect each other, and each other's differences.

The Bible (Romans 3, in particular) teaches ...
If you want to get people to care about what the bible teaches, then you need to win them over first. You don't run around telling certain groups of people that they are sinners and going to hell, that won't win them over.

Kinda like dating, you don't start criticising your partner on your first date. Probably best to wait till your married before criticising them, even then, prolly not a great idea.

• Haha
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Didn't Folau make it clear that he was posting his personal views and not speaking on behalf of the RA?
I would suspect that it would make very little difference. Many organisations have a code where employees agree to uphold certain values in their professional and personal lives, especially where failing to do so could injure the reputation of the organisation. This is especially important in sports and other high profile businesses which are working tirelessly to tackle the public perceptions of homophobia, gender inequality and other forms of discrimination.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Cash80

Site Supporter
May 21, 2007
chatswood
Visit site
✟65,120.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would suspect that it would make very little difference. Many organisations have a code where employees agree to uphold certain values in their professional and personal lives, especially where failing to do so could injure the reputation of the organisation. This is especially important in sports and other high profile businesses which are working tirelessly to tackle the public perceptions of homophobia, gender inequality and other forms of discrimination.
Then, if that's the case, it shows that the RA is intolerant of Christians. Their own code says that they respect different people's religions, so why can't Christianity be included? Or perhaps, they should be clear in their contracts next time, by stating that they consider the Bible to be a discriminatory literature in order to avoid confusion.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Then, if that's the case, it shows that the RA is intolerant of Christians. Their own code says that they respect different people's religions, so why can't Christianity be included? Or perhaps, they should be clear in their contracts next time, by stating that they consider the Bible to be a discriminatory literature in order to avoid confusion.
They are tolerant of Christians. They didn't ask Folau to stop being a Christian. They asked him to stop posting derrogatory things about homosexuals, he refused to do so.

You do know that it is possible to be a Christian and not post that homosexuals are sinners and going to hell, don't you?
So many things in the bible that could be posted, so many things that are fine, but he keeps insisting on singling out homosexuals. Why the fascination on that in particular?

Upvote 0

Cash80

Site Supporter
May 21, 2007
chatswood
Visit site
✟65,120.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
They are tolerant of Christians. They didn't ask Folau to stop being a Christian. They asked him to stop posting derrogatory things about homosexuals, he refused to do so.

You do know that it is possible to be a Christian and not post that homosexuals are sinners and going to hell, don't you?
So many things in the bible that could be posted, so many things that are fine, but he keeps insisting on singling out homosexuals. Why the fascination on that in particular?

I know that our left-leaning culture is telling Christians that we could be so, as long as we don't preach from the Bible what the leftists find offensive. In other words, Christians are being pressured to conform to the world, but I believe it is contrary to God's will. Folau posted against other sins such as atheism, drunkenness, idolatry, and practice of homosexuality. He didn't single out homosexuals.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I am sure there are many Christians working for the RA and they are getting on absolutely fine. They are happy getting on with their own lives and not using their position of privilege to discriminate and hurt others.

Upvote 0