✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not the best.

The people who translated it subtly integrated their theology into it, particularly the eternal submission of the Son (ESS) as a proof concept of their complimentarianism, changing words to make the theology work out.

Edited to add: I believe people can believe in complimentarianism based on other verses in the Bible. My comment is not specifically against complimentarianism. However, the ESV changed this verse due to its gender theology. I firmly believe that God said exactly what He wanted to say; He doesn't need our help to tweak the verse.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It probably has the best marketing strategy and they have a lot of pretty coloring bibles so it's gotten to be a really popular translation, and that's about all the good I can really say about it due to the intentional dishonesty and bad theology of the translation team. While no translation is going to be perfect, the fact that it intentionally introduces errors to support a political agenda is enough to doubt its overall integrity.

Ideally, you are going to want to reference multiple translations and if you use study bible notes, reference more than one since they are often written from the point of view of a single author.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ESV, NSRV and Nasb are about the same level. Just like to add that for any versions, we have to interpret in context, starting from overall Scripture, follow by the theme of a book, then to chapters, verses and words.

The ESV and NSRV both have corrupted 1 Cor 11:3, which as I described above is my go-to verse. The NASB gets it right.

Both the ESV and NSRV have modified that verse to suit a doctrinal presumption and bias. They interpret aner as man in the first instance but then change the same word to husband in the second instance:

But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the husband is the head of his wife, and God is the head of Christ.

Some versions are even worse and change the word "head" to "authority". The word "authority" is not a secondary meaning to the Greek word "kephale" (head) like it is in English.

Upvote 0

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
The ESV and NSRV both have corrupted 1 Cor 11:3, which as I described above is my go-to verse. The NASB gets it right.

Both the ESV and NSRV have modified that verse to suit a doctrinal presumption and bias. They interpret aner as man in the first instance but then change the same word to husband in the second instance:

But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the husband is the head of his wife, and God is the head of Christ.

Some versions are even worse and change the word "head" to "authority". The word "authority" is not a secondary meaning to the Greek word "kephale" (head) like it is in English.
they put footnotes in esv
1 Corinthians 11:3 English Standard Version (ESV)
3 But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife[a] is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.

Footnotes:
1 Corinthians 11:3 Greek gunē. This term may refer to a woman or a wife, depending on the context
1 Corinthians 11:3 Greek anēr. This term may refer to a man or a husband, depending on the context

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
they put footnotes in esv
1 Corinthians 11:3 English Standard Version (ESV): But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife[a] is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.

Footnotes:
1 Corinthians 11:3 Greek gunē. This term may refer to a woman or a wife, depending on the context
1 Corinthians 11:3 Greek anēr. This term may refer to a man or a husband, depending on the context

This makes my point. Their doctrinal biases defined the context. The verse does not offer a context that indicates the first "aner" should be something different than the second "aner" - quite the contrary. The verse is establishing a string of comparisons of what #1 is to #2 and therefore #2 is to #3 and #3 is to #4.

To use "aner" as man in one sequence and then switch "aner" to husband in the second sequence is inserting their biases and theology into the verse. It's a jarring switch, and it serves to cement their worldview as to what God meant by that verse.

This is just one example of theology that was inserted into the translation. This switcheroo was also used to found a heretical, all new view of the trinity referred to as of Eternal Subordination of the Son (ESS) as further proof of their concept as to the switcheroo in 1 Cor 11:3.

They use ESS to prove their biases in translating that verse, but then they use that verse to prove ESS. It's a circular, man-conceived and ill fitting application to the verse.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 23:7 (ESV) - for he is like one who is inwardly calculating. “Eat and drink!” he says to you, but his heart is not with you. o_O

Proverbs 23:7 (KJV) - For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

Proverbs 23:7 (NKJV) - For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. “Eat and drink!” he says to you, But his heart is not with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Proverbs 23:7 (ESV) - for he is like one who is inwardly calculating. “Eat and drink!” he says to you, but his heart is not with you. o_O

Proverbs 23:7 (KJV) - For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

Proverbs 23:7 (NKJV) - For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. “Eat and drink!” he says to you, But his heart is not with you.
whats the problem

Upvote 0

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
If all people said the same, you would not have to ask. Most people don't have ESV Bibles. The best study Bible is one that has footnotes, and a concordance section, which my NIV does.
but have you seen how complete is the study version esv compared with niv?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It probably has the best marketing strategy and they have a lot of pretty coloring bibles so it's gotten to be a really popular translation, and that's about all the good I can really say about it due to the intentional dishonesty and bad theology of the translation team. While no translation is going to be perfect, the fact that it intentionally introduces errors to support a political agenda is enough to doubt its overall integrity.

Ideally, you are going to want to reference multiple translations and if you use study bible notes, reference more than one since they are often written from the point of view of a single author.

Thank you bekkilynn. I've been searching for a coloring Bible. This is very helpful.

God bless you.

• Haha
Reactions: Endeavourer
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
whats the problem
For those who have read Proverbs 23:7 in various other translations and are used to hearing and expect to hear "as he thinks in his heart, so is he" but instead hear "inward calculating" can't you see where that would cause some confusion?

I was using the ESV during a small group Bible study once and the Pastor asked me to read Proverbs 23:7 and when everyone heard "inwardly calculating," the Pastor, along with others in the group looked puzzled and were all instead waiting to hear "as he thinks in his heart, so is he."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Thank you bekkilynn. I've been searching for a coloring Bible. This is very helpful.

God bless you.

LOL they have some really nice KJV coloring bibles too. :)

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
LOL they have some really nice KJV coloring bibles too. :)

Thanks! :)

(y'all may think it's funny, but coloring Bibles will help me to memorize Bible verses....i find it very difficult for some reason to memorize the verses themselves with their corresponding Chapters and verses).

Seriously, i do...give a sista' a break y'all.

:D :groupray:

Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0