Is it essential to quote the Bible in order to give good Christian advice?

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Some people come here with complex problems that cant by solved by simply quoting the Bible. it is the oversimplification that I object to.

I agree with you there. I've been through some really tough struggles in life, and Jesus has pulled me through them by both psychological insight and science, so I'm not at all against going to natural revelation where we need to.

It's the moral issues where we need to stay in Scripture.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends on the subject and situation. For example if someone is asking about if sex before marriage is ok you would post your views along with verses. Now if someone is already having sex before marriage it would be pointless to point out the scripture they already know about (but ignore), especially if they say they know its a sin. In that case you would just talk to them without scripture. Unless at some point its needed.

Personally I don't like people who sometimes respond to topic and don't actually post much but just put down like 100 scriptures with no explanation. Especially if the person ios newer to being a christian or wanting to be one. Throwing scriptures with no explanation will just confuse them as to what your trying to say.

In some cases scriptures can't stay what you would like to say in a few sentences. For example if I said the typical John 3:16 to someone, its not really going to give them the full idea behind that verse and/or what it means to become saved. Its why most of my posts involves parables or true stories from my life. For some people talking is more easy for them to understand then a verse. Actually best example is the parable of the talents (money). If you read that story you may just see it as a story. You won't understand the deeper point of it. So when someone explains what its trying to say, it can help them alot more.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think it depends on the subject and situation. For example if someone is asking about if sex before marriage is ok you would post your views along with verses. Now if someone is already having sex before marriage it would be pointless to point out the scripture they already know about (but ignore), especially if they say they know its a sin. In that case you would just talk to them without scripture. Unless at some point its needed.

Personally I don't like people who sometimes respond to topic and don't actually post much but just put down like 100 scriptures with no explanation. Especially if the person ios newer to being a christian or wanting to be one. Throwing scriptures with no explanation will just confuse them as to what your trying to say.

In some cases scriptures can't stay what you would like to say in a few sentences. For example if I said the typical John 3:16 to someone, its not really going to give them the full idea behind that verse and/or what it means to become saved. Its why most of my posts involves parables or true stories from my life. For some people talking is more easy for them to understand then a verse. Actually best example is the parable of the talents (money). If you read that story you may just see it as a story. You won't understand the deeper point of it. So when someone explains what its trying to say, it can help them alot more.

I agree. Scripture should complement a point you've made, or come with an explanation. Nothing is really being brought to the discussion otherwise.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well. God has the best advice in His Word, so thats why where possible point people to the Word.

As long as your advice lines up with his Word, thats fine and it really helps if you can give a reference so that others can find it in the Bible too.

I mean one really good advice is to pray.

Thats isnt against his Word cos you can find that same advice here in the Bible
Philippians 4:6
And Ephesians 6:18
And also 1 Thessalonians 5:17

For those of is who are christians that is really helpful. This is a christian forum ao thats why people come on here seeking Christian advice, and that ultimately comes from His word in the Bible. It is Gods wisdom, not mans.

If you A christian, well, it wont be much use if you dont open a bible and actually read it. God actually wants us to meditate on His word day and night. Remember Jesus is the Word. Even he will tell you to read his Word and then go and do it.

Which is why I even tell unbelievers to go and read the Bible!
If they havent encountered God He is only a prayer away whcih is why with some people they really need to hear the gospel and have Jesus come into their life.

It is no good telling people to go get a job, see a doctor, or be more assertive etc when the problems are spiritual matters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't it depends on the topic?

Also, often your life experience that you discovered through time is Biblical even if we don't realize it.

What's the difference if you tell someone that in your experience, you've never found it worthwhile to worry... OR Matthew 6:27 "Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am catholic by the way. I rarely quote scripture. That is partly because I don't have the knowledge of many good CF members who are raised on the Bible as the number one authority.
But I see my role in helping a fellow human being as first, being there for them. As an equal. Not as their scripture quoting superior. As if the OP's lack of knowledge of scripture is contributing to the problem.
See them first as fellow travellers. Don't condescend to them as if you are closer to Heaven , as if you have some special access to God's real intentions. Remember the importance of humility? Giving advice still requires humility. Didn't Jesus emphasise the value of humility?

When I use scripture it is only to show the source of my answer (if necessary). Humility is important as is just being there for someone. None of us are any closer to heaven than anyone else, it's a journey. I try to help others along as well as allow others to help me along. We are never 'done' learning, from the Bible or from others. Personally, I understand the value of pointing to scripture for answers, but when I see a 'wall 'o scripture' it's more than likely to make me stop reading.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Daniel Quartararo

Feb 9, 2017
✟10,274.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am catholic by the way. I rarely quote scripture. That is partly because I don't have the knowledge of many good CF members who are raised on the Bible as the number one authority.
But I see my role in helping a fellow human being as first, being there for them. As an equal. Not as their scripture quoting superior. As if the OP's lack of knowledge of scripture is contributing to the problem.
See them first as fellow travellers. Don't condescend to them as if you are closer to Heaven , as if you have some special access to God's real intentions. Remember the importance of humility? Giving advice still requires humility. Didn't Jesus emphasise the value of humility?

The Bible is the sword, so it would seem foolish to me to go into battle without a weapon. But I think it goes a lot deeper than this. From the Bible we know that Jesus only said what His Father asked Him to say, and did what His Father showed Him to do. We also know from the Bible that those who claim to live in God must walk as Jesus walked. We also know from the Bible that many who claim Jesus as Lord will be turned away on the day of judgement because they did not complete the Father's will in Heaven, even though they casted out demons, and prophesied, and did many wonderful works in Jesus' name.

The Lord has shown me that THIS is the reason, that this is the biggest area people are falling short; for they are doing this on their own and not praying without ceasing (talking to God about everything, for prayer is a two-way conversation) and allowing the Lord to give them their every word, and action by taking all of their own thought captive (and ignoring them) to the obedience of Christ. It's the only way to live. We won't hit it at a 100%, but we sure must try!

Here is a video about hearing God's voice with overflowing confidence:

And this entire channel is devoted to the fully surrendered lifestyle; the truth of the Biblical God:
Daniel Quartararo

May it bless you, and may God bless you, in Jesus' mighty name!

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is an important point. Many of the people who come to ask for Christian advice on CF, expect Bible quoted posts/advice. I think if I were in their shoes I'd be more interested in empathy and/o pragmatic advice.

How did the apostles and church fathers teach, exhort and preach?

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read the Bible, mostly Gospel and recently Paul, but I cant remember the quotes. I try to get a feel for the message and ask "what is the underlying message?"
You found out from the Sacred Scriptures. Now you can share that understanding with others and be able to tell them the fount in which you drank from as they too can take in this living water (John 4).

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not how we are supposed to live though. Redleghunter quoted it best: Matthew 4:4

Pragmatic advice is great, if it's Biblical, but we are supposed to make our choices on His Word, otherwise we are just living like the world. This life is not something we simply endure until we die. We live this life to serve and please the Lord, and to become ready for an eternity in Heaven.
We don't become ready by worldly pragmatism, but through wisdom. Our minds aren't transformed otherwise.
As Paul teaches young bishop Timothy to preach the word. (2 Timothy 4:2)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, the topic title says "good Christian advice."

If I wanted good medical advice, I'd go to a doctor and I'd expect his advice to have solid medical foundation. If my doctor were to quote Martha Stewart regarding my prostate, I'd give him the side eye.

If my desire was for "good Christian advice," I'd want advice based on the word of the Lord, and whatever that is, it will have a foundation in scripture. I've read enough scripture that I expect I will recognize Christ-based advice when I hear it. The Holy Spirit will remind me where it's found in scripture even if the person does not give me chapter and verse. If I went to a guy complaining about a problem with my wife and his advice was, "You need to love your wife," I'd think, "Oh, yeah, the bible does say that."

I don't know why quoting scripture would be considered "arrogant" or why being unable to quote scripture should be considered humble. I rather think someone who must turn to scripture for the advice he gives is being humble in not leaning to his own understanding, but relying on the Lord for the advice he gives others.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people come here with complex problems that cant by solved by simply quoting the Bible. it is the oversimplification that I object to.
I agree. In 2 Timothy 4:2, Paul encourages Timothy "Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching."

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its our hearts that matter,

"The heart is deceitful."

I've learned that by experience, but if I'd paid attention when I first read it, I'd have suffered less. I think the real problem with the heart is that it's so easily deceived, then once deceived, it proceeds to deceive.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You can give the scripture reference dont need to quote the whole passage..now that CF has the function where if you give a reference its in blue and you click on it it will show the bible passage.

If you can remember where its from just give the chapter or the name of the book. Eg if you remember a proverb just mention its from the book of Proverbs in the Bible.

Before they had that function i did use to type out scripture of copy and paste and that was actually helpful for me as well. But you dont need to do that. However it helps, everyone is edified if you do that.

I dont think people are trying to show off how much scripture theyve memorised but just encourgaing others to find answers in the Bible because after all its His Word and we are followers of His Word are we not?

I would say after studying papers in psychology and compared to His Word psychology is really not a lot of help!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, the topic title says "good Christian advice."

If I wanted good medical advice, I'd go to a doctor and I'd expect his advice to have solid medical foundation. If my doctor were to quote Martha Stewart regarding my prostate, I'd give him the side eye.

If my desire was for "good Christian advice," I'd want advice based on the word of the Lord, and whatever that is, it will have a foundation in scripture. I've read enough scripture that I expect I will recognize Christ-based advice when I hear it. The Holy Spirit will remind me where it's found in scripture even if the person does not give me chapter and verse. If I went to a guy complaining about a problem with my wife and his advice was, "You need to love your wife," I'd think, "Oh, yeah, the bible does say that."

I don't know why quoting scripture would be considered "arrogant" or why being unable to quote scripture should be considered humble. I rather think someone who must turn to scripture for the advice he gives is being humble in not leaning to his own understanding, but relying on the Lord for the advice he gives others.
Yeah I would run out of that doctors office before the exam started. Lol. Great analogy.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge." Hosea 4:6

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word." Psalm 119:9

"Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth." John 17:17

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

(I'm kidding)

"This is my comfort in my affliction, That Your word has revived me. The arrogant utterly deride me, Yet I do not turn aside from Your law."

Upvote 0