USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the split of the church caused denomination to be existed. Every group has their own diff believe. Some even so 'crazy' protest and died for small matters. It's hard to be Christian, just confess Jesus Christ is the saviour then you'll be saved. But then when you walk your journey of faith you'll face many challenges when you found out many different denomination and groups believe and uphold slightly difference teaching, interpretation of scriptures, difference in opinion, theology etc..

unless I spend my whole life study history, read dozens of book, and think about these differences I'm confused in a sense I lack of knowledge to know the truth. Does it affect my Christian living? yeah kind of, hoping church to church, finding out different tradition and read different author from different camp.

Anyone has had this struggle before?
A denomination is not a church. It is a business franchise like any other that sells religion of a particular stamp to the Church (body of believers). So you can shop around to find one that fits. The important thing is to ground your faith in the Word. And use the Ecumenical Creeds to find harmony with all believers on essential doctrines.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Sometimes I tell people I`m a Baptist-Berean-Quaker-Charismatic-Apostolic-Pentecostal-Mountain-Assembly of God-Messianiac. They usually don`t believe me. I dunno why. I don`t hold it against them though :doh:

Other times, I tell people I`m a Baptist and they don`t buy that one either :sigh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I attend a denominational church for the worship experience, not for 100% ideological alignment. I have never found 100% alignment, and don't expect to. I don't think it is required. Another attribute of a denominational church, whether national or global, is that it allows folks to combine their resources to have a larger impact on their community or world than a single non-denom or a small house church can do.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm Lutheran. I have visited various churches--Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Moravian, non-denominational, Quaker, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian etc. I once told a friend that the Methodist church I visited was like a bowl of oatmeal, it just sat there and didn't do much. At one non-denominational church I attended people were jumping up and down shouting "help me Jesus." I just silently prayed "God, please don't let these people hurt me."

My point is that a great deal of what comes with denominations is the style of church we are used to. I like a certain amount of formality at my church. I want to say or sing the Kyrie. I want to recite one of the Creeds. Others prefer something less formal and that is fine.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the split of the church caused denomination to be existed. Every group has their own diff believe. Some even so 'crazy' protest and died for small matters. It's hard to be Christian, just confess Jesus Christ is the saviour then you'll be saved. But then when you walk your journey of faith you'll face many challenges when you found out many different denomination and groups believe and uphold slightly difference teaching, interpretation of scriptures, difference in opinion, theology etc..

unless I spend my whole life study history, read dozens of book, and think about these differences I'm confused in a sense I lack of knowledge to know the truth. Does it affect my Christian living? yeah kind of, hoping church to church, finding out different tradition and read different author from different camp.

Welcome ! Jesus Christ of Nazareth warned us about the very thing you are struggling with. Remember, God is not the author of confusion. He never said we would be without persecution. He did say " stay the course". The power of the Holy Spirit keeps us on the narrow road. Be sure to be filled daily through prayer. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

YOu have it backwards! It is easy to be part of a denomination, but it is hard to be a Christian. To be a Christian is far more than just saying Jesus is Lord- that word confess means to allow it to order your life! Being a Christian means to be a new Creation that is pointed to serving the King of Kings.

But the easiest way to live- is not learn about all the denominations first, but learn the New Testament! then find a local church that most closely adheres to the clear teachings for the church no matter what denomination it calls itself!

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,928.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because we have no label. We do not discriminate. You can be pre, post, a-millennial, you can be pre-trib rapture, you can even believe infant baptism if you are so inclined. I teach believer's immersion, but I will not refuse fellowship to someone who disagrees. We accept the divorced, those whose lives have been broken because we know that the Lord Jesus came to set captives free.

We have no membership criteria. My view is that a Christian is a member by birth, not by a piece of paper. We believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit. People who are not baptised in the Spirit are welcome and we do not consider them inferior. Those who join us usually realise their lack and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Those who are born again are welcome. All that we ask and expect is that they do not create division. Leaders are not required to be qualified in theology. We do expect them to be committed to Christ as Lord.

I've been a member of two Baptist churches and a Pentecostal church. I was youth leader in the Pentecostal church. I preached a few times in the evening meetings and regularly in the weekly youth meetings. Getting out of that scene was the best decision I'd made up until that time in my life (apart fro accepting Christ, of course).

Ahh. The Non-denominational denomination.

I'm a member of that denomination, too.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm going through it right now. I left my church about a year ago. They were disregarding the word of God to up attendance. I noticed the other day that the church is no more. It's been sold.

• Prayers
Reactions: RickReads
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,928.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I attend a denominational church for the worship experience, not for 100% ideological alignment. I have never found 100% alignment, and don't expect to. I don't think it is required. Another attribute of a denominational church, whether national or global, is that it allows folks to combine their resources to have a larger impact on their community or world than a single non-denom or a small house church can do.

This is an important point. The Body of Christ is supposed to be an active, functional, missionary organization...not a cluster of navel-watchers.

It's possible for a large non-denominational congregation to fulfill that role as well, but organization and numbers do count because resources are necessary to be the kind of organization we read about in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Yep, I sure did. And for myself I actually studied my way back into Catholicism after leaving it for decades. I found that the ancient churches in both the east and west had the gospel basics down right after all-and in a more fully balanced way, which we can discover if we read the actual teachings for ourselves. And this is the way things logically should be, no? Meanwhile any of us can practice our faith mechanically and legalistically, or hypocritically-that's always a danger. And some people, including leaders, will continue to behave badly and selfishly in spite of the gospel they hold and preach; I've found this to be true in any church I've attended.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,928.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That doesn't tell you much about the congregations around you.

"The congregations around you" counts for much. Even you fully agreed with a denomination's articles of faith, that doesn't mean its congregation near you isn't toxic. Nor, if you have a minor issue with a denomination's articles of faith does it mean that its congregation near you isn't the best fit for you.

For instance, I don't believe immersion baptism is a soteriological necessity. However, the Holy Spirit very explicitly directed us to a congregation that did believe in it. Very explicitly, an actual command in the middle of my prayers on a Friday night: "Tell them tomorrow you want to join." And then (not, in hindsight, coincidentally at all), that next morning one of the associate pastors knocked on the door.

But I knew that the fact that I'd only been sprinkled in my parents' Methodist church was going to eventually be an issue. Did I really need to be immersed? I didn't feel that I did. The Holy Spirit told me, after a great deal of prayer on that issue: "That is the congregation I told you to join. That's what they do." So for their sake, I let them immerse me, the same situation as Paul circumcising Timothy.

But being a member of that particular congregation turned out immensely beneficial in all kinds of spiritual ways for me and my wife. That was the particular group of Christians the Holy Spirit intended us to be associated with for that season.

And that's really how I'd approach the question to the Lord: "Which group of your people do you want me to be associated with in this season?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Certainly. Including some of the great names in Church history.

But two points need to be made: 1) it's not as hard as you say to decide on a denomination, and also, 2) the range of denominations include some which allow the maximum of individual judgment.

So everyone who comes to Christ needs one, or more correctly, a local church home, a congregation.

The New Testament gives ample evidence of the benefits of being part of the local assembly, and there is no good reason for being a "lone wolf" Christian instead.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"The congregations around you" counts for much. Even you fully agreed with a denomination's articles of faith, that doesn't mean it's congregation near you isn't toxic. Nor, if you have a minor issue with a denomination's articles of faith does it mean that its congregation near you isn't the best fit for you.

For instance, I don't believe immersion baptism is a soteriological necessity. However, the Holy Spirit very explicitly directed us to a congregation that did believe in it. Very explicitly, an actual command in the middle of my prayers on a Friday night: "Tell them tomorrow you want to join." And then (not, in hindsight, coincidentally at all), that next morning one of the associate pastors knocked on the door.

But I knew that the fact that I'd only been sprinkled in my parents' Methodist church was going to eventually be an issue. Did I really need to be immersed? I didn't feel that I did. The Holy Spirit told me, after a great deal of prayer on that issue: "That is the congregation I told you to join. That's what they do." So for their sake, I let them immerse me, the same situation as Paul circumcising Timothy.

But being a member of that particular congregation turned out immensely beneficial in all kinds of spiritual ways for me and my wife. That was the particular group of Christians the Holy Spirit intended us to be associated with for that season.

And that's really how I'd approach the question to the Lord: "Which group of your people do you want me to be associated with in this season?"

all paths lead back to where they came out from, so no judgement from me how God directs the steps of others ... for me not attending a church or being associated with any particular denomination is how He has purposed mine ...

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As far as it being easy to be Christian, I think that depends a lot on how we lived our life before coming to the Lord. Were we pretty good (as good goes) or were we extra bad, meaning we have a lot to change, making it tougher to be Christian.

Denominations? I don't bother with them. My views of the bible match up pretty well with most believers, and though I'll take a look at most ideas within reason, I often use popular opinion to help me set my personal bar. Other than that, I have my bible, and that seems to work fine for me.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...I lack of knowledge to know the truth. Does it affect my Christian living? yeah kind of, hoping church to church, finding out different tradition and read different author from different camp.

It becomes simper, if you are just a disciple of Jesus and follow him, instead of different church leaders. And I recommend to think, is Jesus your king, or are you following someone else.

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It becomes simper, if you are just a disciple of Jesus and follow him, instead of different church leaders. And I recommend to think, is Jesus your king, or are you following someone else.

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32
this is not an excuse to stop going to church and become more individualistic right?

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"The congregations around you" counts for much. Even you fully agreed with a denomination's articles of faith, that doesn't mean its congregation near you isn't toxic. Nor, if you have a minor issue with a denomination's articles of faith does it mean that its congregation near you isn't the best fit for you.

this season? you switch church from time to time?

Upvote 0