Is it dangerous to sing words against Christianity?

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a Christian but I like bands that express other than that belief and I sing the words when I listen to it some examples are Typo Negative "In Praise of Bacchus" which is a pagan theme. also "i sold my soul" by merciful fate I love these songs and I also love the band Disturbed and they have a lot of anger I'm sorry but this is my type of music what should I do?

I realize when I am listening to it that this is not my belief
and in praise of bacchus is one of my fav0rite songs ever because of the music so I wont stop listening to it, I just don't believe in it, like I know its paganism and i'm against tha

I don't know who any of those bands are, but there are some good Biblical principles you can apply to see if it's fit to listen to. In our house, we've always taught our children to evaluate media choices by asking themselves a series of four questions:

1. Does it pass the Philippians 4 test?

Is it true? Is it honorable? Is it just? Is it pure? Is it lovely? Is it commendable? Is there any excellence? Is there anything worthy of praise?

2. Does it pass the Galatians 5 test?

Does it exhibit, glorify, or incite the works of the flesh, which are sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, either in thought or in deed?

Or does it exhibit, glorify, or encourage the fruit of the Spirit, which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control?

3. Does it pass the 1 Corinthians 8 test?

Even if it's something God grants us the liberty to enjoy or engage in, would our doing it cause a weaker brother or sister in Christ to sin or to stumble in their walk with Christ?

4. Is it an idol to you?

If it's something that failed the three tests above, would you give it up? If so, then what would your attitude be about giving it up? Would you be glad to give it up, knowing it doesn't glorify God, isn't conducive to growth in Christ, and could cause a weaker brother or sister in Christ to sin or stumble in their walk with Christ?

Or would you give it up grudgingly or not give it up at all? If so, then it's an idol.

Just based on the little bit you've described I don't see how those things are consistent with these verses.

Reactions: APC_Carrier
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pleae I want to be a good Christian but love bad music :(

"Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." - James 4:4

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,
I need to apologize for the comments I made in this thread. I was drinking and it has become a problem for me. I feel like a fool now but the damage is done....:(

If it's a problem for you, have you talked to your pastor about it?

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a specific pastor right now. I have been to AA meetings in the past and thinking of going back.

All AA does is clean up the problem externally. If you're a Christian, you need to get into a good Bible based church.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All AA does is clean up the problem externally. If you're a Christian, you need to get into a good Bible based church.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Upvote 0

APC_Carrier

Jan 28, 2017
Denmark
✟16,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To answer your question let's do an analysis.

What are you DOING? (that is, what is your action?)

You are praising another being other than God. That is idolatry and it is a mortal sin. Mortal sin deprives us from God's grace and renders us open to demonic oppression, influence and possession. These are not my words, they are from Fr. Chad Ripperger, an exorcist.

Rock music specifically predisposes us to sin, and if the lyrics include devil worshiping, they are already posing a risk to your soul. "The eyes (ears in this case) are the light of the soul, if they are filled with light your entire body will be with light".

Are those songs filled with godly light?

• Informative
Reactions: Skylar222
Upvote 0

APC_Carrier

Jan 28, 2017
Denmark
✟16,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Another consideration.

If you have a drinking problem, you I encourage you to quit listening to ANY type of rock music and go towards sacred music (choral, gregorian, ecc). Go to confession and return to God's grace.

I am struggling with an addiction to inappropriate content and masturbation and ever since I quit to that type of music (2 weeks ago) it has been a lot easier for me to avoid masturbation. 15 days without [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] and inappropriate content of any kind, 6 days without touching myself. And it is being a lot easier than previous times.

We must always collaborate with the Holy Spirit, which is trying permanently to heal us and strengthen us.

See that all rock music bands, ALL OF THEM have at least one member with alcohol/drug/promiscuity issues (most of the "classic" rock bands had members dying in tragic circumstances).

"If your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out".

How can you call rock/metal good music after this?

quito2.jpg

Regina Caeli, ora pro nobis.

And if you are struggling with alcohol you need to consecrate yourself to Our Lady of Sorrows, she will grant us anything we as as long as it helps us grow in holiness and does not oppose the will of his Son.

Last edited:
Upvote 0