Is it dangerous to sing words against Christianity?

Skylar222

Nov 20, 2015
✟12,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am a Christian but I like bands that express other than that belief and I sing the words when I listen to it some examples are Typo Negative "In Praise of Bacchus" which is a pagan theme. also "i sold my soul" by merciful fate I love these songs and I also love the band Disturbed and they have a lot of anger I'm sorry but this is my type of music what should I do?

I realize when I am listening to it that this is not my belief
and in praise of bacchus is one of my fav0rite songs ever because of the music so I wont stop listening to it, I just don't believe in it, like I know its paganism and i'm against tha

Last edited:

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am a Christian but I like bands that express other than that belief and I sing the words when I listen to it some examples are Typo Negative "In Praise of Bacchus" which is a pagan theme. also "i sold my soul" by merciful fate I love these songs and I also love the band Disturbed and they have a lot of anger I'm sorry but this is my type of music what should I do?

and in praise of bacchus is one of my fav0rite songs ever because of the music so I wont stop listening to it, I just don't believe in it, like I know its paganism and i'm against tha

The bible says the devil comes disguised as an angel of light.

This is interesting becuase my pastor taught us and talked to my brother about the hidden stuff I find it interesting I encountered you the same weekend this has taken place for me.

am a Christian but I like bands that express other than that belief and I sing the words when I listen to it some examples are Typo Negative "In Praise of Bacchus" which is a pagan them

My Response: Look IK this is gonna be hard to hear but you gotta let that stuff go. I used to read certain books about the greek gods and such and listen to rap music and stuff but there's a spirit in that stuff. Stay away from books to that mention wizards/demons and such even if they are the "good guys" in that book. My pastor was talking about this with my brother. This stuff can negatively effect your spirit. The same goes for music of course also...music is even worse becuase you end up singing this stuff and reciting it. A book you can at least put down for a period of time, but a song you can hum all day.

also "i sold my soul" by merciful fate

My Response: My brother bought in a book called the demon king when my pastor talked to him... it's not good. IK it sounds good but the bible says life and death are the power of the tounque. It's something to read stuff that is sort of anti-God like but it's another to sing and listen. Don't ever listen to anything about selling your soul... not only can it effect you but if someone hears you can make you come off as hypocritical in a way as a christian. The bible says to sing praises unto him. The bible says life and death are the power of the tounque, we must be careful about what we sing.

Conclusion: This is just my stance on this I have always considered rap music to be... sort of anti god like which is why I put it up after being saved....but I always considered some rock to be even worse...becuase some rock like the song you listen to straight up talks about the demonic while with rap and such it's more so sinful acts.

The bible says lay aside every weight/sin that doeth easily besets you. Just take time to think about it...is it good to sing about selling your soul??? Sure you don't plan on doing it...but is it good to sing that stuff into the atmosphere??? Is it good for me to sing about committing adultery...regardless if I plan on it or not?

Is it good to sing about sin? Just consider that when making your choice.

God bless

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

We sing or chant almost everything that is said during our Divine Liturgy. One of the things I most appreciate about that kind of delivery is that it gets into your spirit. It's a joy to wake up in the morning and have your heart singing prayers and praising God.

We also acknowledge that what we pray, what we sing, what we hear, is what we believe. It's a wonderful method for teaching (as I mentioned above, it gets into your spirit besides), and has been in use through the centuries, especially beneficial through all those times when the Scriptures were far too costly for everyone to own a copy, or for people who could not even read. They too could learn and absorb the Scriptures.

So. Do you ask yourself what are you learning and absorbing? We tend to tell ourselves that "it won't affect me" because I "know better" ... and some things may be so basic or outrageous that we know they aren't true. But even so, what surrounds us, what we soak in, affects our spirit, to some degree. No matter how we resist.

I'd like to mention something else from your post though. You said you wouldn't give it up, because you like it? As in, you've already made up your mind not to stop listening, even if it turns out to be bad for your spirit, because something in you gets enjoyment from it and that is going to determine your choice, rather than the health of your spirit?

I'm not trying to be harsh to you. Lord knows at times in the past I've gone into a question with the same attitude, or with the thought that I would be unable to give up something I enjoyed (in my case once it was an interactive computer environment that I justified by programming Christian-themed metaphors into the environments, and was really addicted to).

But I'm just laying it out to see if that's what you are actually saying. I may misunderstand you, and if I do, I apologize and ask your forgiveness. And you don't need to answer it at all. I'm only wanting to say that in my opinion, that is worth focusing your thoughts and prayers on more than a specific song.

I hope you can receive this in the spirit it is offered, and I've managed to just explain something I think is valuable to consider, rather than sound like I'm accusing (which I am not).

I think the fact that you are thinking about what pleases God, and what is beneficial for your soul, is a good thing. :)

God be with you.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I cant imagine not listening to the songs I love again ... and there are more I just noticed the words, what if I don't realize they are against my religion, some are more obvious than others..

I couldn't imagine leaving the ones I enjoyed also but I was able to do it after receiving the holy ghost. Had the power to do it.

IF you want you could post some of the lyrics and could help figure out maybe idk.

But for sure selling your soul.... that's kinda against christianity. Also the other god stuff. But true some lyrics are more subtle and maybe not as bad or harder to detect. There are some good songs in every genre or neutral ones.

The bible says sin provides satisfaction for but a season right? You're not supposed to hate the music... I still hear R&B sometimes in a setting and the tune sounds nice but I don't focus or listen anymore.. Sin isn't ugly to the flesh.

Upvote 0

Skylar222

Nov 20, 2015
✟12,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
this makes me sad because I love the music ilove and I believe the singersre talented by God. The singer of Type O Negative is passed away and I pray for him and I still love their music....but its focused on paganism but they are one of my favorite bands ... I don't just favor any musician, I have certain taste I saw something in them...yet I am Christian..i thought maybe God blessed them with the talent they had?

Upvote 0

Skylar222

Nov 20, 2015
✟12,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's definitely not my kind of music but I don't there is anything inherently wrong about listening to Type O Negative... I love me some punk-rock/alt-metal/indie-folk-opera-rock bands that include lyrics like,

"Bride of quiet
Bride of all unquiet things
Bride of quiet
Bride of hell"

I know the band well enough to understand their metaphors and not take the words at face value. It's not like I'm going to become the bride of hell because I listened to these particular arrangement of words... I love the music and the thought that went behind it.

I dunno but maybe you're over thinking it; as long as you don't feel any tension or guilt for enjoying their music, I say go hard.
this is how I feelll kind of like the lyrics don't mean what I feel but I love the music...

Reactions: Melpomene
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
this makes me sad because I love the music ilove and I believe the singersre talented by God. The singer of Type O Negative is passed away and I pray for him and I still love their music....but its focused on paganism but they are one of my favorite bands ... I don't just favor any musician, I have certain taste I saw something in them...yet I am Christian..i thought maybe God blessed them with the talent they had?

tbh just go off how you feel. Some can watch rated R movies and be fine..others IK who are saved can't. It depends on you. But for me i've always been a lyric guy when it comes to songs so I was just saying me personally I would avoid that stuff.

Depends on you, but the sell your soul stuff though.... that avoid for sure Ik maybe the song is good but if you sing those lyrics out loud yeah.

God bless and again this is your choice prayer over it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Skylar - My advice to you is this:

Spend some serious time in prayer and fasting and ask God WHY you like these songs and bands so much that have such anti-God and anti-Christian lyrics. Ask for guidance on what HE would have you do as to listening to them.

Since you are asking these questions, it is clear you have your doubts. You need to go to HIM to settle those doubts.

Upvote 0