Is it Biblical for the death penalty to still apply today?

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
And honestly the cost of executing someone is more expensive than keeping them in prison.
That's got to be a ludicrous notion.
Given the staggering cost of keeping people in jail, how can a swift execution cost as much as a lifetime in jail.

Upvote 0

Paradox.79

Jun 27, 2021
Indianapolis
✟10,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Given the staggering cost of keeping people in jail, how can a swift execution cost as much as a lifetime in jail.

Cause there is know such thing...your allowed to appeal all the way up to the supreme court that takes years...the appeals cost money...if your sentenced to death the average time is 16 years...in that time you can be exonerated...the state you live can become a non death state. The next problem is it is hard to get professional medical people to do the execution so many times your average joe does and screws up. Most importantly there is know such thing as 100%...even with dna evidence sometimes it is wrong especially if you have a case with identical twins they have exact dna. So how do you do that one...you got dna evidence you got twins with the same dna and one is innocent how do pull that off. And there has been cases of twins with the same dna google it. Unless you can show 100% which is almost impossible....the death penalty should be abolished. And honestly I personally would rather get death than spend all of my life in a cage.

Upvote 0

David_AB

Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. There's a world outside the US and we're not just talking about that specific country.
The system doesn't have to be as convoluted as theirs or as broad as executing people for just one murder.

A system that executes only serial killers. The law would have to define the meaning of a serial killer.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Cause there is know such thing...your allowed to appeal all the way up to the supreme court that takes years...the appeals cost money...if your sentenced to death the average time is 16 years...in that time you can be exonerated...the state you live can become a non death state.
You've just changed the parameters of your question and my answer.
You are not comparing life in jail with execution, you are comparing life in jail against another lot of jail time.
The next problem is it is hard to get professional medical people to do the execution so many times your average joe does and screws up.
Again, that's plain silly. If it wasn't for the lily livered pacifists there are countless ways to swiftly kill someone.
Most importantly there is know such thing as 100%...even with dna evidence sometimes it is wrong especially if you have a case with identical twins they have exact dna. So how do you do that one...you got dna evidence you got twins with the same dna and one is innocent how do pull that off. And there has been cases of twins with the same dna google it.
This is just padding and utterly irrelevant to the statement you made.
Unless you can show 100% which is almost impossible....the death penalty should be abolished. And honestly I personally would rather get death than spend all of my life in a cage.

There is one prime reason that the death penalty is a must, and that's because the Lord demands it of us.

Reactions: David_AB
Upvote 0

Paradox.79

Jun 27, 2021
Indianapolis
✟10,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
IF YOU CAN PROVE GUILT 100% I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT A MURDER BEING PUT TO DEATH! The problem is it is next to impossible to do that, eye witness testimony is the most unreliable most of the people exonerated were convicted by eye witness testimony and most if not all were either poor or black or both. You will 20 people see something and each person description is different. Fingerprint and DNA evidence has wrong before, it is very rare but it has happened. Thousands of innocent people are imprisoned each year. We can not bring people back to life...meaning if you execute a innocent person you can not fix that. Eddie Lee Howard spent 26 years on death row and was exonerated. You want some truth you can not give him that life back...he is in his 60s now...the chance for him to have a family I do not know if he had one before he was sentence but if was not married and had children the odds of having that in his 60s and near zilch...there are a thousand legit reasons for the death penalty to be abolished, It is funny conservative preaches guns and the death penalty yet the courtiers that have strict gun laws, know death penalty and actually focus on rehabilitation have less violent crime, less overall crime, and low recidivism unlike the United States. So when I hear you conservatives speak I laugh cause top countries in the world are liberal ones. Canada Denmark Sweden are just three that rank higher than us in quality of life.

Upvote 0

David_AB

Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[countries] that have strict gun laws, [no] death penalty and actually focus on rehabilitation have less violent crime, less overall crime, and low recidivism unlike the United States. So when I hear you conservatives speak I laugh cause top countries in the world are liberal ones. Canada Denmark Sweden are just three that rank higher than us in quality of life.
Lots of assumptions in your post.
Having no death penalty does not prove there will be less violent crime. That's illogical.

You mention Sweden as an example.
Sweden is now number two on the list of rape countries, surpassed only by Lesotho in Southern Africa.
Its gun crime has soared.
Sweden’s gun violence rate has soared due to gangs, report says

120 bombings in one year! 80% of women in one university town do not feel safe.
Sweden Spinning out of Control

When compared to other Nordic countries, Swedes are twice as likely to feel threatened by crime, vandalism, and violence where they live.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not always...do not get me wrong I am not saying a killer should not be put down...but even dna is not 100% there have been a few that Dna was wrong...there is rarely 100%. And honestly the cost of executing someone is more expensive than keeping them in prison. And I would rather be executed than spending my life locked in a cage for the rest of my life.
You cannot put a price on justice. For open shut worst of the worst crimes like this Lori Vallows who killed her kids and burned them or that Guy dude who dismembered his parents and they caught him with his moms head boiling on the stove all because they told him he had to get a job? Death. Hell. Trust me they would much rather be here in a warm bed reading a book than in hell being devoured and raped by demons over and over and terrified the entire time.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not always...do not get me wrong I am not saying a killer should not be put down...but even dna is not 100% there have been a few that Dna was wrong...there is rarely 100%. And honestly the cost of executing someone is more expensive than keeping them in prison. And I would rather be executed than spending my life locked in a cage for the rest of my life.
DNA is RARELY 100%?? See now to me that just is not true. Please find me one case where DNA was wrong and a person was executed. I have never heard of that, and I have never heard that DNA was rarely right either.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree. There's a world outside the US and we're not just talking about that specific country.
The system doesn't have to be as convoluted as theirs or as broad as executing people for just one murder.

A system that executes only serial killers. The law would have to define the meaning of a serial killer.
Where do they only execute Serial killers?Not here in the US . It just has to be unusually cruel and heinous. Like to me personally, Jodi Arias should have gotten the death penalty. But no, now she is in prison and selling her art on Ebay and worth about 5 million.

Upvote 0

David_AB

Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where do they only execute Serial killers?Not here in the US . It just has to be unusually cruel and heinous. Like to me personally, Jodi Arias should have gotten the death penalty. But no, now she is in prison and selling her art on Ebay and worth about 5 million.

I did not say the US only executed serial killers.
I'm fully aware the US system is broader in the crimes it executes people for.

I'm not aware of any system that executes only serial killers but I'm saying that if a country is concerned about executing an innocent person by mistake, executing only serial killers is an option.
I don't know of any serial killers who have been wrongly convicted.
The definition of a serial killer would need to be enshrined in law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paradox.79

Jun 27, 2021
Indianapolis
✟10,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
DNA is RARELY 100%?? See now to me that just is not true. Please find me one case where DNA was wrong and a person was executed. I have never heard of that, and I have never heard that DNA was rarely right either.
I said or meant rarely is there 100% as for DNA mistakes I mean the testing, making a mistake there...if you have two identical twins and one rapes someone...the dna will be the same on both twins...how do you convict the guilty one. Okay the test can be wrong...the person running the test can make a mistake...eye witness testimony is the most unreliable you can have 25 people see an event and you will have 25 different descriptions of it. DNA evidence has also exonerated hundreds of people who were on death row or serving life. Our system makes mistakes...that is the point...UNTIL WE CAN BRING SOMEONE BACK FROM THE DEAD, Our society has no business executing people. I do not care if DNA evidence 99.9 percent effective, there is still the point that says they could have made a mistake. I do not feel for killers and rapist and pedophiles, I feel for there innocent we imprison every year. It also says something if your black or Hispanic and your on trial for rape...most of the time your convicted...go do a search on how many black people were exonerated on rape convictions. Poor, Black, Hispanic...one if not all of those criteria apply to most of those people who are exonerated.

Upvote 0

classical5

Aug 11, 2021
Florida
✟3,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
My understanding of the bible that is simply wrong (sinful) for anybody to kill another person. God alone has the right to initiate or terminate life.

Therefore the death penalty is wrong and anybody who supports or involved in capital punishment is commiting a sin.

Maybe someone already brought this up but what about self-defense? What about defending another person?

There are many people in the world who are not going to listen to anything you say, they believe their victims are not even human and nothing you tell them will convince them otherwise. And if you try to physically stop them, it will only get you killed as well as the original victim.

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Two wrongs never make a right.
I am totally against capital punishment. In no circumstances will I ever support it.
Then you should be totally for capital punishment. God implemented it, and He never revoked it, so it would be wrong NOT to do it. We see the effects of not applying capital punishment in our world today, as sin and evil have compounded. Thus being against capital punishment pits you against righteousness and God.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Then you should be totally for capital punishment. God implemented it, and He never revoked it, so it would be wrong NOT to do it. We see the effects of not applying capital punishment in our world today, as sin and evil have compounded. Thus being against capital punishment pits you against righteousness and God.
I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree!
But thank you for replying!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paradox.79

Jun 27, 2021
Indianapolis
✟10,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Yes god implemented it...and many innocents have been sentenced to death. The death penalty is wrong and it is wrong because man makes mistakes. If you execute someone and your wrong you can not fix it. And please do not start on about dna evidence...that evidence is only as good as the person who reads the results...and they have made mistakes. Unless you can prove 100% which is next to impossible to do the death penalty should not be on the table. And read gods laws again many of them seem more like the laws and beliefs of the people living in that time period tha the laws of all knowing, all merciful, all loving god. I know a girl who was raped and she does not go to church or worship anymore. She told me that god is supposed to be our father, what father sits by and watches his child be raped. She's got a point, I am a father and if I saw my daughter being raped I would kill the man no ands ifs or buts. The point is man it is next to impossible to prove anyone guilt 100%

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes god implemented it...and many innocents have been sentenced to death. The death penalty is wrong and it is wrong because man makes mistakes.
Then, according to you, God must have made a mistake when He implemented it.

Did you know that God also implemented a penalty for bearing false witness? The penalty was that whatever the penalty would have been for the person witnessed falsely against, that was the penalty for the false witness. Many of the death penalty convictions that have later been overturned were because overzealous prosecutors wanted to get a conviction no matter what the truth was.

How far do you think our prosecutors would be willing to push a trial with flimsy evidence, if we held them to that standard--where they would suffer the death penalty if they pushed for conviction falsely? The death penalty isn't what's wrong (and we know this because, as you agreed, God implemented it, and we don't believe God makes mistakes). It's our implementation of it, and sometimes our lack of implementation.
And please do not start on about dna evidence...that evidence is only as good as the person who reads the results...and they have made mistakes. Unless you can prove 100% which is next to impossible to do the death penalty should not be on the table. And read gods laws again many of them seem more like the laws and beliefs of the people living in that time period tha the laws of all knowing, all merciful, all loving god. I know a girl who was raped and she does not go to church or worship anymore. She told me that god is supposed to be our father, what father sits by and watches his child be raped. She's got a point, I am a father and if I saw my daughter being raped I would kill the man no ands ifs or buts. The point is man it is next to impossible to prove anyone guilt 100%
What was the penalty supposed to be for rape? God implemented the death penalty. That means that her heavenly father was not "sitting by and watching His child be raped." Instead, He said her rapist should be punished with his life--JUST LIKE YOU SAID YOU WOULD DO! You have a proper sense of justice regarding your daughter's rapist, but why aren't you willing to carry it out?

Deut 19:15 A single witness may not testify against another person for any trespass or sin that he commits. A matter may be legally established only on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 16 If a false witness testifies against another person and accuses him of a crime, 17 then both parties to the controversy must stand before the Lord, that is, before the priests and judges who will be in office in those days. 18 The judges will thoroughly investigate the matter, and if the witness should prove to be false and to have given false testimony against the accused, 19 you must do to him what he had intended to do to the accused. In this way you will purge the evil from among you. 20 The rest of the people will hear and become afraid to keep doing such evil among you.

There was also a penalty for "man-stealing" or what we call, ironically based on your example, "kidnapping". That penalty was death.

And I'm not necessarily a big fan of DNA evidence, at least not by itself, but it is allowed for in the Old Testament law--one example is the above citation, where the judges will "thoroughly investigate the matter". But the purpose for such harsh penalty for perjury (death in many cases), is in vs 19 and 20: 1. you will purge the evil from among you, and 2. the rest of the people will be afraid to do similar evil. The evil in our world has continued to grow. I think it is partly from a lack of adherence to the things God told us would "purge" evil from among us.

Upvote 0